December 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding vs formula?

2»

Re: Breastfeeding vs formula?

• sourlemon said:
    Don't ALL (or most) babies lose weight after birth? My pedi said it's expected which is why they check it at their 1 week visit to ensure they get back to birth weight. 

My baby took 2.5 weeks to get back to birth weight and she was formula fed. That caused concern but she was gaining so I had more time before interventions. 
    absolutely!  especially if you are given IV fluids during labor (typical with epidural) that will plump up their little bodies and they will lose the excess water shortly after birth. 
  • I'm going to try and BF for sure, but if I give it my best and it's not working, I have no issues going to formula. My endocrinologist told me I might have a problem making enough milk due to my thyroid condition, but then again plenty of women with my condition do just fine. So who knows. 
    December 2016 August Siggy Challenge: Embarrassing Back to School Pics

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with @Sharkey, but I also want to offer this caveat: because I had IGT and we thought everything was okay, we assumed this weight loss was normal until my DD would not wake up for over one hour (we rubbed her with a cold washcloth, rubbed her feet, squeezed her legs, everything), and it turns out her body had basically shut down from not getting enough food. So if you think something is wrong, call your pediatrician, call a good lactation consultant (preferably an in-home one)... they're used to it :) and always trust your gut.
  • I did what @slartybartfast did. So much easier to just latch on baby then put him back down. If your husband will be feeding during the night you will need to pump so your supply doesn't take a hit. It's all supply and demand with milk, "Srey Saw". So, if you don't pump when your husband gets up motn to feed baby your body will go, "hey, I don't need to make milk for this time anymore!" and it won't. It sucks getting up every few hours, but come four to six months or so, most babies do not need to eat motn anymore and you can night wean since baby will be eating more during the day, plus will be on solids come that point in life.

If you , or anyone else has nursing questions, please let me know! I'll be glad to answer anything.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker

• So, onto my question. I fully intend to try to BF with the knowledge that things don't always turn out the way you want them to. I will be staying home once the baby is born so there isn't an issue with feeding times during the day but I would like to be able to pump some as well so that my H can take his turns in the night or take an evening feeding session. How does that fit in with a typical BFing schedule? Am I going to have to be pumping in the middle of the night while he's feeding the baby or, assuming good supply, would I be trying to accumulate enough extra milk during the day so that I could *sleep* through those feedings? Just a bit of FTM ignorance that hopefully some of you can help me out with...
    You can absolutely pump to have some BM stored up for outings and overnight trips although I wouldn't reccomend sleeping through feelings. You will wake up really really uncomfortable and it could mess with your supply. I would reccomend pumping after baby feeds during around week 6 to have some reserve. When baby starts sleeping through the night you can also pimp before you go to bed. 
    @SarahF8611 How often did you pimp before bed ;)

That's another thing about skipping night feedings or when baby starts sttn- have a waterproof cover on your mattress and maybe sleep on a towel. You will leak everywhere. I went through my nursing pads and bra, and jammie top. Skipping feedings your boobs can also become rock hard and you can get clogged ducts or mastitis. It's best not to skip.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just a side note, while there are many challenges that can arise with breastfeeding, MANY of them can be overcome. So at the first sign of trouble, if breastfeeding is important to you, don't view it as a formula sentence. Books/classes/lactations consultants and the wonderful resource: kellymom.com are very very helpful.
    I fully weened at 11.5 months but milk hangs around in there and when my baby was having severe digestive issues, I employed some techniques (including pumping power hours) and got my supply back up higher than it had been. After a year of nursing I though I had my boobies figured out. This experience made me realize they are more amazing and talented than I new!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Fauxpa said:
    cjt121413 said:
    I BFed with DS and want to do with the same with this LO. I had a breast reduction when I was 18, so I was really scared I wouldn't be able to BF, but I was, and after the initial struggle it was great. If anyone has questions about BFing after breast surgery I'm happy to help if I can.
    I would love to hear more about your experience! I also had breast reduction surgery and my OB/nurses keep asking if I had "duct salvaging" which I have no idea... my original surgeon just told me that I might not be able to breastfeed.  Did you have surgery specific struggles or do you think it was just the "usual" breastfeeding hurdles?  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer these publicly. 
    Hi! I don't think I had any reduction-specific issues, but I did take precautions and learned all about BFing after reduction before DS was born. I was able to exclusively BF until DS was 7 months old (when I started grad school and pumping became impossible). From 7 months until maybe 18 months he nursed at night. There's a great book called Defining Your Own Success - Breast Feeding After Breast Reduction that was really helpful for me. It's on Amazon - kind of expensive, but totally worth it.

I started pumping to increase supply at the hospital. The nurses and lactation consultants looked at me like I was an idiot and pretty much forced me to supplement with formula. I had purchased a supplemental nursing system that allowed me to supplement while DS nursed at the breast (that way supplementing didn't screw up supply). By the time I got home, my milk came in and no more formula was necessary.

I also pumped a lot from Day 1, to increase supply. I don't know if it was necessary but I definitely had a nice stash for when I went back to work. I ended up taking fenugreek supplements to help with supply too, but again I'm not sure it was necessary.

My biggest advice is don't be discouraged! Many doctors, lactation consultants, etc. know absolutely nothing about BFing after reduction, and they can be discouraging. Ignore them. Most plastic surgeons do what they can to enable you to BF after reduction, and many women can nurse after reduction. My surgery was in 2001 and my surgeon told me I might not be able to BF, but I was!

Good luck, and I'm happy to provide info along the way. :)

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• @cjt121413 That is super encouraging, thank you so much! I'm definitely going to check out that book.  I really want to breastfeed if I can, at least in the beginning, but didn't want to get my hopes up too much if it really wasn't going to be possible. 
  • I see the choice between nursing and bottle feeding as one of finding which method best fits your baby's needs (as some are super reactive to formulas) yours as a mama (or even your families needs). 
    I have mostly nursed my babies because I find it easiest... (However it isn't always and wasn't in the beginning). I fought through my many early challenges because I valued it as the method that I felt was best. That said, when we brought home our 4th child via adoption I could have opted to "re-lactate" but chose not to and bottle fed her. For us it also held challenges, but we pushed through them and made it work for us. She reacted to nearly all formulas and had very bad GI issues... And I found bottle feeding very tiresome and hard at night. I just wanted to snuggle in bed, but found that hard with her struggles. It wasn't enjoyable to me. 
    I think it's always wise to try and breastfeed as it has many health benefits even for the mama... But there is also no shame in calling it. With my 1st I challenged myself to keep at it for one solid month. It took all of 3 weeks to sort out our joined struggles and lots of help from lactation experts... But by week 4 we were both set and so glad I had kept persevering. We happily nursed for 18 months and I hated to quit as it was seriously so easy and lessened my load. My youngest is 20 months old and she just self weaned due to my supply tanking from being pregnant. I miss having milk available for her and I get pretty annoyed at all the crappy sippy cups I've tried recently! So sad. Check out kellymom.com lots of info there! 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• This might be a dumb FTM question...
    For those who BF for many months, how did you juggle work and pumping? I'm a teacher and only have 1 guaranteed break a day (there are other prep times like music/computers/library/etc. but many days those get cancelled or times are not consistent.
    Do you have to pump around the same time? And How often? I'm afraid of going to work (leaving home) at 8:00 and not having lunch until 12:30, that seems like a long stretch of time (but I honestly have no idea!!)

• @BabyRobbinsAdventure you have to be given time to pump, it's law. My friends that are teachers tended to pump in the morning during like home room period or before the kids got there, lunch, a prep if they had one, and end of the day after the kids left. 3-4 times. You can go about 2-3 hours and be ok if you don't have a super over supply. If you get into a pattern your body will follow suit and know when to produce. Ideally you'd do it around when baby would normally nurse, but as a teacher myself, I know that's pretty impossible. I taught high school too. 

Things to be efficient- buy the quick clean wipes so you can wipe the parts down. Make sure to have a cooler with long lasting ice packs. Lastly, if you don't feel like washing parts, just stick them in the fridge with your milk and reuse them the next time you pump and save yourself 5-10 minutes. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @BabyRobbinsAdventure you have to be given time to pump. 
    Schools have a 'pass' on some FMLA things. Most will work with you on getting someone on prep to cover, but they don't have to- as it causes an actual loss of productive work time. I pumped on my drive to work, during my prep, and right after school. I was able to successfully feed L during daycare hrs with just those 3 sessions during the work day. Then when we he wanted a bottle at home I pumped. The only reason I had to switch to formula was when my prep changed from 2nd hr to 4th. I couldn't get my schedule to adjust.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Alright, I didn't share in the last BF thread but I mind as well chime in. Like @revelatory7 I have IGT also. Wasn't "diagnosed" until I had my second baby. With my first I did the 23,456,537 things that you should do to be able to set yourself up to EBF. Classes, BF support group, books, tons of research, etc. DD stopped urinating for 24+ hours at 4 days old so I had to supplement with a little formula to get get to start peeing and pooping again. LC did a weighed feed at 2 weeks old and said that despite my nursing every 2 hours around the clock feeding schedule (even every two hours overnight plus pumping after all feeds, fenugreek, oatmeal, water blah blah) I was giving her less than 0.5 oz per side per feed. Which is why she kept losing weight despite the 0.5-1 oz formula I supplemented with at some feeds. I never had any sensation of my milk coming in after birth and when I would pump after feedings I got literally nothing in the bottle. Not a drop. So we tried every few days to stop supplementing (bc I was told by some that supplementing would doom my chances to BF) and she would stop peeing, be lethargic and lose even more weight. At 4 weeks my pedi basically told me that if I didn't supplement with more formula and do it at every feeding DD would literally starve. It was devastating. So I nursed being able to give her about one ounce per feeding then supplemented with formula after each nursing session. Did that for 12 weeks total until she self weaned in favor of the bottle. I was over BF by then so it was fine with me. 

With DS I at least had a clue that I may not be able to EBF so I was emotionally prepared. That time my boobs could make 1.5oz total per feeding so that was nice. But again, not quite enough. Unfortunately he had a slew of health problems and for multiple reasons I quit BF at 9 weeks. Looking back, the little BM I was giving him was actually helping stave off the worsening of his problems so I feel much remorse over that. He didn't tolerate so ma y formulas but by the time we ran out of options formula wise, I had long since dried up what little milk has been there. But at the time I quit, his/our life was so so stressful and we were trying to figure out what his medical issues even were. 

With this LO, I have some anxiety about feeding again. Even though I've been through this twice before, knowing it's very likely that I will under produce again (although I'm guessing I may make even a little more than last time!) is just plain frustrating. I don't love BFing and am very comfortable with bottle feeding. But knowing the health benefits of even just the first few weeks of BM motivates me to try again. With a 3 and 6 year old running around I dread the thought of a baby attached to my boobs, but again, giving LO the antibodies and enzymes etc is important to me so I plan to give it a go. My goal is 4 weeks. I should have help around the house to help me manage the nursing/supplementing circus for that long. Then we will see after that. 

I'm obviously in the fed baby camp. I feel mom should do whatever helps she and baby feel the most peaceful. BF is difficult for many women. And I applaud those who have pushed through and been successful at EBF (or EP). But I am just as proud of FF moms for all they do for their babies too. I do encourage any FTM friends of mine to read up on BF and try it, and I second the suggestions made here to be prepared. If you really have your heart set on BF then you need to be as knowledgeable as possible to set yourself up for the best chance to reach that goal since it can present some challenges. But that being said, I would be the very last person on earth to judge anyone who didn't want to try BF or tried and decided to FF instead. To me, there are lots of pros for FF. Yes some are different than BF pros, but still very much pros nonetheless! Ok sorry for the novel. Just feed all the babies!!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PharmDmom DS also had major issues when I weened but it wasn't clear it was related to the weening and we were trying to figure it all out. I think you explaining your story is also helpful because someone can read that and if they encounter such a time with their little one - which is incredibly scary... feeling like your kid is not thriving is THE WORST - and then read "I now have a 3 and 6 year old running around"

You got through it and have healthy babies to show for it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16

• So, onto my question. I fully intend to try to BF with the knowledge that things don't always turn out the way you want them to. I will be staying home once the baby is born so there isn't an issue with feeding times during the day but I would like to be able to pump some as well so that my H can take his turns in the night or take an evening feeding session. How does that fit in with a typical BFing schedule? Am I going to have to be pumping in the middle of the night while he's feeding the baby or, assuming good supply, would I be trying to accumulate enough extra milk during the day so that I could *sleep* through those feedings? Just a bit of FTM ignorance that hopefully some of you can help me out with...
    You can absolutely pump to have some BM stored up for outings and overnight trips although I wouldn't reccomend sleeping through feelings. You will wake up really really uncomfortable and it could mess with your supply. I would reccomend pumping after baby feeds during around week 6 to have some reserve. When baby starts sleeping through the night you can also pimp before you go to bed. 
    @SarahF8611 How often did you pimp before bed ;)

That's another thing about skipping night feedings or when baby starts sttn- have a waterproof cover on your mattress and maybe sleep on a towel. You will leak everywhere. I went through my nursing pads and bra, and jammie top. Skipping feedings your boobs can also become rock hard and you can get clogged ducts or mastitis. It's best not to skip.
    Just about twice every two weeks if I was going out that weekend! Haha, just giving options!! 
  • @BabyRobbinsAdventure - I think it would be doable to pump once a day at work if you live close to work! 4-5 hours is not unreasonable, especially if that becomes your norm. You'll probably have to add a nighttime pump session at home but again, if you just do it every day, your body will adjust. I did two pumping sessions a day and my little guy had plenty of milk with the nanny. Good Luck!
  • Definitely breastfeeding for me.  Between my three kids, I've breastfed for a decade of my life.  They all nursed for 3+ years.  I had major issues in the beginning with my first, but we were able to persevere and she nursed for 3 1/2 years.  This next one will be nursed for at least two years, longer if they'd like.  
    Me 41  DH 33  Married 09/03/2011
    DD1  EDD 08/18/01, born 08/03/2001 ~ 9lbs 10oz, 21.5 in
    DS1  EDD 4/30/2004, born 05/04/2004 ~ 10lbs, 22 in
    mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    DD2  EDD 12/25/12, born 12/30/12 ~ 10lbs 11oz, 21.25 in
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks
    Cautiously expecting 12/02/16

• Well, this is one hot topic for a lot of people!
    First thing to know: do what is best for you and your baby.
    Second: breastfeeding does take some getting used to, for my first child it took 2 weeks for me to get used to it. We breast fed for 5 months, and then I took a medication that 'might' slow down my milk supply- it was gone within a month. So we formula fed until she was 1. But with my second daughter, I breast fed until she was 1, and I loved it. She loved it too. She did have 1 bottle of formula at the hospital, we had some complications and my milk took longer to come in than expected. 
    Third: overall, bottle feeding takes longer. Trust me, I have done both. You have to get the bottle ready, feed the baby, and then wash 10 bottles a day (at least). Breastfeeding: here's the boob, enjoy. 

While there are some really great debates on here, we all know that breastfeeding is recommended. But there is formula for a reason, breastfeeding doesn't work for everyone. In the old days, there were wet nurses to solve that problem. So do what is best for you, but if you are going to try breastfeeding, please give it 3 weeks before giving up.

One more thing! I have posted this on 2 other threads, but that is only because it is so amazing: nipple butter. 
    Life saver for your 1st breastfeeding experiences!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• ^to build off of that, many people love Dr. Browns bottles, but there are approximately 2904769467 pieces to them and they take forever to wash.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jenlynne0624 - for real on the dr. Bronners bottles! When I bought bottles, I wanted them because they seemed so cool, then I saw how many pieces to one bottle!! We used Playtex drop-ins for breastmilk, and formula for my first. I also nannied and have washed many-a-bottle. Playtex drop-ins are still by far my fav. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @jenlynne0624 - for real on the dr. Bronners bottles! When I bought bottles, I wanted them because they seemed so cool, then I saw how many pieces to one bottle!! We used Playtex drop-ins for breastmilk, and formula for my first. I also nannied and have washed many-a-bottle. Playtex drop-ins are still by far my fav. 
    L uses the Playtex VentAir as he would suck  the nipple out of other bottles. 5 pieces if you take the nipple out of the ring, but they are also tilted so that L can drink most of it while sitting up fully.

• ^to build off of that, many people love Dr. Browns bottles, but there are approximately 2904769467 pieces to them and they take forever to wash.
    This. My BIL/SIL used them, rightfully so, my niece had a lot of reflux and various issues and they worked great for them and they handed them down to us. However, when I began pumping and started using bottles, my son didn't have those issues and the Tommee Tippee bottles worked fantastic for us! I just couldn't use the Dr. Brown with all those pieces and parts
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't breastfeed my now 10 year old. I was 17 and tried for a whole hour and then just quit. I am REALLY hoping to be able to breastfeed this lo. TMI I do have inverted nipples so that makes it much harder. When is the best time to start seeing a lactation consultant? I really want to start out with as much information and help as I need. 
  • TollerToller member
    @jldunlap19 I'd start maybe at a lactation class through your hospital probably any time you feel comfortable- personally, I would do around 6/7 months or so? A Le Leche League in your area might be helpful as well. You can email them questions!.-I bet there would be a lot of resources for you to further look into for a specific issue like that.  way to think ahead!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited June 2016
    @jldunlap19 There are some little plastic cup thingies that you can use to help your nipples be less inverted. I found some, these aren't the ones I have, but very similar.
     Edit a link.