February 2016 Moms

Cradle cap

Has anyone got any advice for getting rid of cradle cap? I got rid of it a few weeks ago by washing LO's hair with water, then brushing with a baby brush, but it's back worse than before! Thanks! 

Re: Cradle cap

• Lurker from March 16 here. I washed my sons head every night with baby shampoo, scrubbing it in with a baby wash cloth. Then towel dried it after. His cradle cap cleared up real quick and hasn't made a return yet! 
  • ashleyandjodyashleyandjody member
    edited June 2016
    Lurker from Jan16...coconut oil worked great! DD had a very very mild case only on the top of her head. I took a cotton ball and dipped it in coconut oil and rubbed it on her head. I let it set for 20 minutes and then gave her a bath. I did wash her head with baby shampoo and used a baby brush (the one the gave me at the hospital), and it has not been back since!

Edited to add the rest of my post

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Selsun blue twice a week. But be careful not to get it in babies eyes.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also had success with coconut oil.  I rubbed it on his head and let it sit for 15 ish minutes - I read to let it soak in for 30-60 minutes but I got impatient and tired of his oily head touching my clothes, lol.  
     Then I took the baby comb they gave me At the hospital and and just combed his scalp- it started coming off very easily! It was kind of gross but very satisfying to get it off!
  • Coconut oil and THIS! https://m.target.com/p/safety-1st-newborn-cradle-cap-brush/-/A-49177234

I thought it was a waste of money at first.. Walked by it several different trips before buying it. Works like a charm and so glad I got it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• smn14smn14 member
    Thanks guys, will try the oil and comb trick :-) 
  • Good call. The coconut oil thing worked for us too. Followed by a shampoo in the bath to keep him from staying oily, of course. He still has a little bit left on his head, but whatever. It's 100% out of his eyebrows. 
  • I've had a lot of success with the Honest Company Healing Balm. I just put a little on his head before bed and by morning it's gone.
  • Anyone else suspect the cradle cap is itchy for their lo? Lately he has been scratching his head (and leaving little marks with his fingernails no matter how much I cut them!) and rubbing his head back and forth on the ground when he is on the floor.   I mentioned it to my doctor at his 4 month check up and she said to put 1% cortisone cream on his scalp... I'm a little nervous about doing that, But I wonder if the coconut oil I used is irritating it? 
  • 2-Step2-Step member
    My DS was itching his head too, and scratching himself up. I used some aquaphor ointment all over his head and just left it alone for a few days and it finally cleared up. I've also heard the mustela newborn shampoo works wonders but haven't tried it. 
  • haylyrhaylyr member
    edited June 2016
    Whenever The Cap tries to make a comeback, I rub a little Burt's Baby Bee lotion on his head after a bath, then brush it through his (barely there!) hair. Works just fine. 
  • My sons hair hides his cradle cap, but I keep telling myself I need to put something on it to help it go away. Debating on the honest company balm, mustella shampoo, or baby oil. I guess I'll start with what I have on hand, which is baby oil, and try that. 
  • My first had a pretty large patch so we did oil on her head and after a few times it cleared up. This one only had a little.  We used Mustela and it seemed to work after the first use.  We also continued using it as her regular shampoo.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • klbhklbh member
    I just got my son's off using Waxelene (non-petroleum Vaseline alternative). I rubbed it in, let it sit for a bit, and them combed it off with a fine comb. His hair is still a little sticky (that stuff is hard to rinse off), but no more cradle cap. We'll see if it reappears.