October 2016 Moms

Weekly Randoms (30 May)

*American lady living in Tanzania.
DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)

Re: Weekly Randoms (30 May)

• Hi ladies, my random question is ... what are the most helpful parenting books you've read?  So far I've read (most of) the Happiest Baby on the Block and I've found it very helpful, other than the fact that he's kind of long-winded.  I'm realizing that time is flying by and I need to get a little bit more prepared!  Also, any books that your DH liked?  DH is pretty clueless about babies and needs some resources.  He's factual and doesn't like the books that are cheesy or try to be overly humorous.  

What are your suggestions?  
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Loading the player...
  • Yay I'm jumping on this week's early so I can be caught up. It's my personal goal to try and participate more :)

@blonde1817 personally I didn't really read any baby books. I did get the "Wonder Weeks" app, which I'm iffy on if I really believe or not, but I know a lot of people say it holds true for them. To be honest, my last BMB formed a FB group near the end of our pregnancies and that's where I got most of my advice/info :)

• emmaaaemmaaa member
    I need to find a bathing suit for this summer! Where are the best maternity suits?
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Is anyone else starting to worry about how they will get everything done before baby? Suddenly were over halfway there and October just doesn't seem that far away. We have furniture to refinish for the nursery (twin bed and dresser) and I need to find someone to make curtains and a crib skirt out of fabric that matches the twin bedding. Plus you know, the actually necessary baby stuff. I know I have showers coming up but I worry that all I'll get is clothing, despite my registries.  At least our crib will be here soon. 

It's probably just the extreme planner in me ready to get it all done! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • emmaaa said:
    I need to find a bathing suit for this summer! Where are the best maternity suits?
    i got mine from Target, but I haven't looked this year to see what they're like. 

• Is anyone else starting to worry about how they will get everything done before baby? Suddenly were over halfway there and October just doesn't seem that far away. We have furniture to refinish for the nursery (twin bed and dresser) and I need to find someone to make curtains and a crib skirt out of fabric that matches the twin bedding. Plus you know, the actually necessary baby stuff. I know I have showers coming up but I worry that all I'll get is clothing, despite my registries.  At least our crib will be here soon. 

I feel you. I said to my husband this weekend that I feel very unprepared since we haven't done much yet, and usually I do everything early. We will start the nursery in two weeks when school is out, and I think I'll feel better then. No one has offered to host a shower, though, so I'm a little stressed about buying stuff in time without dropping tons of money all at once. 
  • UFJenUFJen member
    @ibabyloveb87 I'm feeling the same way! We are moving in August so we cant really paint, decorate or set up the nursery until then, so that has me extremely overwhelmed! I'm a planner too and need everything to be done, but this move is taking it out of my control for now!
  • @ibabyloveb87 Yes! I know logically it will be fine and babies don't need much (and been there done that) so i'm taking it slower this time, but I still feel like it needs to all be done asap. My husband isn't a decorator, baby planner, or motivated for house work kind of guy and I'm moving slower these days (with even less time because of a toddler) so I need to write a new to-do list for the house n baby prep. It will come together for you though, I'm sure. Pick a task a weekend and tackle it and you'll be done in no time.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • edited May 2016
    Hi ladies, my random question is ... what are the most helpful parenting books you've read?  So far I've read (most of) the Happiest Baby on the Block and I've found it very helpful, other than the fact that he's kind of long-winded.  I'm realizing that time is flying by and I need to get a little bit more prepared!  Also, any books that your DH liked?  DH is pretty clueless about babies and needs some resources.  He's factual and doesn't like the books that are cheesy or try to be overly humorous.  

What are your suggestions?  
    I do not currently have an answer but this is something I'm going to look into. I'm a developmental psychologist (I've mentioned that a million times, I know) so I am super interested in this stuff and really careful about making sure the data in the books are well researched.
    So someday when I have extra time (ha!) I am going to put in several hours researching this. Would be interested in others' opinions in the meantime! 

ETA anyone else having issues with the app deleting all or part of your message?!?!
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • My last comment just reminded me that I need to get DS's room finished so I can move on to the nursery. I have 0 motivation for this anymore.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    @Blonde1817 - I haven't officially started reading this one yet but read a lot of great reviews about it... so I'm reading Baby 411. The chapters outline what topics will be discussed and they're clearly sectioned within the chapter... so if you know a lot about jaundice, you can skip that section in chapter 1 very easily, which I like

@books&icecream - I've had that issue with the app before too. I find that if you give the app time to save your draft, it won't happen. It's like it forgets what you've typed unless you get the draft saved notification. That said, I always long selected my text and copied it when I typed out something long on the app for that exact reason... that way I could edit, copy and paste it back in to fix easily.
  • @Blonde1817I've read that HBotB is great. I've also heard Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is great. In the first 3 months sleeping is a large percentage of the only thing you will care about as far as baby goes. 
    I haven't read any books myself. 

@emmaa - ymmv but in the past I've just gone to target for suits to avoid spending lots on something I'll only wear a couple times. I look for bottoms with side ties for adjustability. 
  • In terms of helpful books, I liked Sweet Sleep and No Cry Sleep Solution because I remember as a new parent being obsessed with babe's sleep patterns. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes to being stressed about the time ticking away! We moved DD out of what will be the nursery but now the nursery is filled with just random bins and things left from DD that I haven't decided what to do with.
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited May 2016
    My random is that I'm so tired of people lambasting the parent of the kid who fell into the gorilla exhibit and making themselves feel better by saying "at least I'm not that parent"/"at least that wasn't my child". I feel like it was a shitty situation all the way around. This may be more suited to UO, but it's on my mind right now because of stupid people on my FB feed. 
    Agreed! I haven't read up on the story tbh so I haven't formed an opinion on the situation as a whole, but that's one thing I instantly thought of when I learned of the basics. How horrible those people must feel about what everyone's saying about them.
  • My random is that I'm so tired of people lambasting the parent of the kid who fell into the gorilla exhibit and making themselves feel better by saying "at least I'm not that parent"/"at least that wasn't my child". I feel like it was a shitty situation all the way around. This may be more suited to UO, but it's on my mind right now because of stupid people on my FB feed. 
    I agree. This is why I'm definitely a fan of child leashes, especially in atmospheres like that. I know a lot of people hate them, so that might be a UO as well, but if that child had been on a leash, the entire incident could have been avoided. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Very much so!!! My husband decided we needed to finish our basement so the stuff in the spare room, which will be babies room can go down there. I keep reminding him of how time is winding down with this. I'm very freaked out it won't all get done. UGH!!!
  • I am enrolling my DD in pre-K on Thursday, my LO turned 10-months-old this weekend, which means he'll be a year old in only 2 months, and I'm already at 22 weeks pregnant??? My babies are growing up too fast... seriously you guys, it is beyond true what everyone says about the time flying by... It's hitting me like a ton of bricks.
  • @ibabyloveb87 So adorable! Baby crocs are the only acceptable crocs. ;)

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• blaf322blaf322 member
    MRSCORKER said:
    @ibabyloveb87 So adorable! Baby crocs are the only acceptable crocs. ;)
    FACT!
  • @ibabyloveb87 my mom bought my DD baby crocs, and she outgrew them before she got to wear them! I was so sad! Definitely will get this next kid in them though!

Also +1 to time going way too fast. I'm trying to sell furniture in our spare bedroom so that we can buy kid furniture to move DD over and have the nursery free. So far everyone has flaked who said they wanted it. I have a potential real buyer this week, so fingers crossed it goes!

• @JamieK1882 I love it! 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I bought pozole to try and it tasted like dog food.

SO and I have been together: 5 Years+
    BFP: 03/10
    First Baby: 10/20/2016
  • @mrszoess

I think I remember you saying you work for CPS, correct? I'm a breastfeeding counselor and a mom is telling me someone is threatening to call CPS on her because she breastfeeds her 2 and 3 year old (claiming it's psychologically detrimental to the children and that it's sexual abuse). Is this something CPS typically gives a sh!t about? I'm trying to get her in contact with resources in case she does receive a visit, but I'm just curious. This is a 100% off-the-record, totally informal inquiry. 

• @emmaaa I had no luck at target, but I did have luck at Motherhood maternity. Last year I also purchased some (extremely) high waisted black bottoms from Swimsuitsforall.com so i could mix and match tops with them, so I was able to buy just a separate black top from Motherhood Maternity this year. 

@ashleymn noooooooo! Where did you get this crappy Pozole?! I love Pozole!  

Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • I'm full of random thoughts this week. 

Today, my youngest brother starts his first real job/internship. He's much younger than I am, so I feel like he should still be about 10 years old. They grow up so fast.....and this is just my brother!! Can't imagine with my own baby  :'(
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    @ibabyloveb87 I understand the feeling. My little brother is only 3 years younger than me but I've always taken care of him and babied him. He moved a few weeks ago for Physical Therapy school and I cried.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @Piperella awww that is so cute, I'm so excited for your DH!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Julia70286 I got it from our local grocery store, I've had Pozole before but it was when I lived in CA and it was homemade and I swear I ate like 6 bowls of it but this store bought version tasted just like dog food I even went back and checked the can to make sure i didn't accidentally pick up dog food lol.

SO and I have been together: 5 Years+
    BFP: 03/10
    First Baby: 10/20/2016
  • Maybe this is just me, but it's random... Today I looked in the mirror and I just felt my bump looked deflated some.  Maybe it is because the baby switched positions, because even the kicks and rolls feel different.  It's really odd (and I just may be a tad bit anxious).
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    edited June 2016
    Okay so I haven't found any "maternity" bathing suits that I like so I figured I will just order a one piece in a size up for now until I find one I like. I'm fairly confident it will fit. 

which one do you like best?

1. https://www.target.com/p/women-s-shirred-one-piece-aqua-green/-/A-21562762?lnk=rec|pdpipadh1|viewed_bought|pdpipadh1|21562762|3

2. https://www.target.com/p/twist-front-halter-one-piece-aqua-green/-/A-16650260  (the teal color)

3. https://www.target.com/p/women-s-draped-one-piece-merona/-/A-24011209#

4. https://www.target.com/p/women-twist-front-one-piece-black-crochet-merona/-/A-16331872?lnk=rec|pdpipadh1|viewed_bought|pdpipadh1|16331872|7
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @emmaaa - Just a word of warning about buying a swim suit a size up- I wore an XL from Target (I normally wear a L) on memorial day and the butt part was HUGE on me. Like, DH even noticed... he asked me why it was so saggy in the butt lol. Unless your butt has grown substantially, you might want to try before you buy. 

I personally like the first link. 
    Pregnancy Ticker