October 2016 Moms

UO Thursday (May 26)

Let's hear 'em people! 
Me: 31 | DH: 43
BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18

Re: UO Thursday (May 26)

• This is not necessarily MY OU, but I ran across it on FB the other day and thought it was interesting. Since this thread is stone cold today, maybe this will heat it up. 

If you're on government assistance, you should be on birth control, as well. 

It's an interesting concept. Part of me thinks it's fundamentally wrong for the government to control reproduction. But another part of me thinks it's pretty smart from an economic stand point. I mean, let's be honest, if you're not able to provide financially for yourself and the kids you've already got, you should NOT be having more. 

Aaaaaaaaand GO. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @copperboom86 I have feelings on that, but probably shouldn't get into them.

I'll post my UO that got people all heated last time I was on TB. I don't, nor will I, kiss my kid on the lips. I don't know why, it's just too intimate for me.

• CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited May 2016
    @JamieK1882 - People kissing their kids on the lips seems weird to me too, but only because I wasn't raised that way. I'm sure if I was, it would seem perfectly normal. 

I won't be doing it with my kids mainly because mouths gross me out. I don't drink after anyone, including DH. I can handle vomit and poopy diapers all day long, but thinking about my baby's drool getting on or in my mouth makes me gag! 

Edited for clarity. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Kind of a roll off copperbooms.
    But I think if you are on EI or welfare (Canada's programs) you should be weekly drug tested. If it's positive your money stops. 
    I also feel the whole First Nations thing is way out of hand here. I mean when someone turns 18 they get huge treaty's. When can we stop with the pay offs and just all be Canadians and be treated the same. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My UO is that breastfeeding for comfort weirds me out. I want to breastfeed and plan to breastfeed for as long as I can, for nutritional values and purposes (also - that shit is free!) but once a child is no longer getting the milk or has teeth and can eat regular food, or is solely on the boob as a comfort thing... It kinda weirds me out. Give me my tatas back. They are used as a pleasurable part of sex for me, as well, so it's easy for me to separate the two for necessity and food for my child, just not comfort. 
    I totally agree. I have a cousin who nurses a toddler for comfort and jokes about her nipple being a pacifier. I'm always weirded out by it. 
  • @scostel2 - I agree somewhat. Although, the government wouldn't be forcing anyone to take medication. It would be a mandate to receive government assistance. You could opt out of taking the medication by simply refusing assistance. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree about Planned Parenthood. Keep. That. Shit. Open. Free contraceptives, free medical consultations and advice for women who need it and can't afford it---man, there seems to only be good things there. If people on government programs are going to be asked to cool it with the procreating (which is an entire other discussion) then there has to be something in place to help them otherwise it's not going to happen. It's a Catch-22. 

I also agree about Anna. I think Elsa gets all the hype because she's got the supercool winter powers and Anna doesn't but Elsa would also have been fucked without Anna so she needs some more spotlight!

I feel like I can never think of an UO no matter how hard I try.  :/

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    On the government assistance issue: I like the idea of anyone who receives assistance being drug tested. However, from the studies I have seen (that were linked above), I see that it was not really cost effective.

Another program I would like to see them try is a volunteer program for those on assistance. Maybe that those who are on assistance are required to conduct 10 hours per week of volunteer work. But I also know there would be flaws in this. Such as many of the people may not have transportation or child care during those times.

A lot of things are nice in theory but to put them into practice are a lot more complicated.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• scostel2 said:

It's not that simple of a choice though. SNAP (food stamps) for example, almost 3/4 of the money for SNAP goes to households with children. So it's more like the government telling someone "go on birth control or else you won't be able to feed your kids."  That's not really giving someone a free choice. Also, it would really just punish women more since there is no male equivalent.
    Both good points. 

It's clear our welfare system needs reform, but I'm sure glad it doesn't fall to me to make those kinds of decisions for our country!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so glad I'm not the only one lost on the Elsa hype. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • I think that's why planned parenthoods should stay available and not be de-funded. They provide free birth control and contraceptives. The amount of help the provide to lower income, younger aged, women AND men are far greater than the abortion debate. Which I also won't get into. 

My UO is that breastfeeding for comfort weirds me out. I want to breastfeed and plan to breastfeed for as long as I can, for nutritional values and purposes (also - that shit is free!) but once a child is no longer getting the milk or has teeth and can eat regular food, or is solely on the boob as a comfort thing... It kinda weirds me out. Give me my tatas back. They are used as a pleasurable part of sex for me, as well, so it's easy for me to separate the two for necessity and food for my child, just not comfort. 
    A lot of babies have teeth and eat regular food at 6 months. I wouldn't stop nursing a 6 month old.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• My UO? I think Frozen is laaaaaameee. But watch, I'll be jinxed with a kid who loves it
  • @spaceburger I totally did not get the hype either. Gimme Lion King any day of the week. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    edited May 2016
    I should save this for tomorrow, but I have never seen Frozen and I have no desire to. I also am not team, Elsa needs a girlfriend. I am team - Elsa needs to stay a strong independent woman who don't need no man (or woman)! All the Disney princesses seem to have that in common, I like that she doesn't. 

YES. .YES. YES
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• krzyriverkrzyriver member
    edited May 2016
    As a bisexual, I would love for Elsa to be gay or bi. As a parent who loved that both Brave and Frozen ditched the epic love story of most Disney movies and focused on strong women and family relationships, I don't want Elsa to have a love interest.

I love and need LGBT representation, but not *every* LGBT character needs to have a story that's all about finding love or coming out. I want more characters who are gay or bi and that is just a part of who they are, it's not the whole story.

So if Disney made her a lesbian, I would be ecstatic. Have her awkwardly flirt with a handmaiden or check out the Princess from a neighboring country. But the focus of her story should be about her being the queen and how she deals with being a woman with these magical powers. I think it's just as important to ditch the stereotypical fairy tale in kids movies as it is to teach them to accept all kinds of people. And you can do both at the same time.

That's just my humble opinion. Other members of the LGBT community may feel differently though.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• @AllyTheKid You are absolutely right about that, it is not easy to get the assistance in any way and it is a very long process and I don't know that people realize that if they have never had to do it. I am sorry you are going through it as well and I hope you no longer have the need to soon!
  • My UO, which may not be as unpopular as I thought, do away with the US military. At least the offensive side. It's neither America's job nor right to police the world.
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • scostel2 said:
    My UO is that breastfeeding for comfort weirds me out. I want to breastfeed and plan to breastfeed for as long as I can, for nutritional values and purposes (also - that shit is free!) but once a child is no longer getting the milk or has teeth and can eat regular food, or is solely on the boob as a comfort thing... It kinda weirds me out. Give me my tatas back. They are used as a pleasurable part of sex for me, as well, so it's easy for me to separate the two for necessity and food for my child, just not comfort. 
    I totally agree. I have a cousin who nurses a toddler for comfort and jokes about her nipple being a pacifier. I'm always weirded out by it. 
    Weirds me out too.

On that note, UO: breastfeeding toddlers. I understand that in some cultures and parts of the world it is normal, or even necessary for development, but I'm talking USA urban living where there's more than just rice and millet to supplement the boob. People can do what they want, but I always raise an eyebrow at toddlers sucking on the tatas. If they can have a conversation (or tantrum) with their moms asking (demanding) for milk, it weirds me out. I always think walking and talking kids who still suck on their moms' boobs become those creepy gropey frat boys infatuated by breasts down the road. 
  • MRSCORKER said:
    To weigh in on the drug testing/Government assistance convo. I think it sounds good in theory but the cost of drug testing all of those people is way more than what the Government would save in denying the few who tested positive. Similar programs were tested in a few different cities in the US and the drug testing was way more costly. I'd have to track down the article I read, I'll admit it may have been from a biased source so who knows. 
    I agree, it would be costly. I just hate seeing drug addicts clog the system when there is lots of people with more valid needs. Single moms that have left abusive relationships for example. I feel the moms are more in need than someone who has made shitty choices and needs herion. There is no perfect system obviously, still is shame to see so many people abuse it though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think that's why planned parenthoods should stay available and not be de-funded. They provide free birth control and contraceptives. The amount of help the provide to lower income, younger aged, women AND men are far greater than the abortion debate. Which I also won't get into. 

A lot of babies have teeth and eat regular food at 6 months. I wouldn't stop nursing a 6 month old.
    I am all for other women who want to comfort nurse, it's just not my cup of tea. I hope I am able to still be breastfeeding at that age, and what you bolded was moreso me saying that's all they were eating. Not just two-toothed and baby food. If it works for you and your babies, then that's awesome. I just know it won't work for me. I suppose that's why I knew it would be a UO though. ;)