June 2016 Moms

What have you tried to kickstart labor and how did it work for you?

I know some of the moms here (especially the ones that are term now and due in early June) have been trying different methods to jump-start labor. List what you've tried below, how you think it worked (or totally didn't) and throw in a weird one that you've heard of or had suggested to you. If you are a STM+, feel free to throw in what you've done in the past and the outcome there too. 

This is for fun only! We all know here that carrying babies to full term is generally the best and your DOCTOR knows your pregnancy and risk factors and you should consult your doctor on any medical questions, not some pregnant strangers on an internet board. We are not advocating for anyone else to try these, or go against medical advice in any way! I just wanted to see who else is going a little stir-crazy and bouncing on a yoga ball or eating 17 pineapples (or as many as you can before your tongue goes numb) and see if we can compile a list for entertainment purposes.

Here's my list. I have tried:

1. Yoga ball: This was comfortable to sit on. I bounced a little, but didn't do the whole circle motion for very long before losing interest. I found this worked better for easing my groin pain than anything labor-related.
2. Eggplant Parmigiana: I ate it, it tasted good. I have actually had fewer contractions since eating it though.

Weirdest one I've seen so far:
Blowing up balloons. Seriously?

TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

Re: What have you tried to kickstart labor and how did it work for you?

• Loading the player...
  • RNMegan0711RNMegan0711 member
    edited May 2016
    Sex (reluctantly), fresh cut pineapple, EPO (oral only), red raspberry leaf tea, exercise ball, spicy foods... I think that's it lol.

I do find that I have some contractions after I drink the red raspberry leaf tea. I like the taste and it keeps me hydrated either way so if it does nothing.. At least there is that. 

I doubt spicy food will ever do anything for me since I eat it all the time anyway. 

The Evening Primrose Oil is more so for elasticity I've heard. So I'm hoping it'll more so help me with Lessening of a perineal tear. Any STM's and beyond use it and think it helped with that??

(edited because..I say "Lol" too much... :P and I can't spell tonight)
    DH - 24; Me: 26
    Married 3/7/15
    Expecting Baby #1: 06/06/2016
    BabyFruit Ticker

• None this pregnancy (I'm due at the end of the month) but in previous I tried spicy foods, walking a ton, yoga ball, labor cake, sex and even Castor oil. I don't think any of them helped. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• NLewis1NLewis1 member
    edited May 2016
    With my son I walked until I thought I was going to lose feeling in my legs trying to avoid my induction! Aaand I was induced and started at 1 cm dilated, posterior, baby not engaged, and like 50% effaced. So that totally didn't work. I bounced on my yoga ball a ton with him too.

this pregnancy I've been walking 2 miles a day anyway, just generally being healthier and more active, and I've been bouncing on my ball because it eases my groin pain and back pain. 

At my 37 week appt last week I was 2 cm dilated, 60% effaced, anterior and baby is engaged. I can tell she's engaged myself because I get shooting pains down the groin and the fronts of my legs something fierce from the pressure she is putting on my ligaments! Lost my mucus plug yesterday and have irregular contractions the last two days. 

I really think you're body is just gonna do what it's gonna do regardless
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• Tawny87Tawny87 member
    I've been walking. Honestly I would have thought having my stomach elbowed and jumped on by my twins would be enough to push him out but alas no baby...
  • I've been doing evening primrose oil daily orally and vaginally. Not sure it helped but dr did say my cervix is soft and I'm dilated to 2 and effaced 70% so I'm continuing with it. I tried the raspberry least tea but really didn't enjoy the taste so no way I could drink 3-4 glasses a day. I will probably try pumping and sex around 39 weeks not that desperate yet lol 
  • I feel like I'm close so I'm gonna try walking, nipple stimulation, and maaaybe pinapple.
  • With DS I tried all the little things, 6 dates every day, raspberry leaf tea, walking every night, etc. 

But in the end cervidil, cytotec, a foley balloon and pitocin barely induced labor for me! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • stisnd6stisnd6 member
    I've been walking more. I accidentally ate really spicy food the other day (I thought it was something else but turned out to be ridiculously spicy) lol but nothing happened after that. I was told to have the back of my calf, 4 inches above my ankle massaged, pedis anyone?! Lol 
    this was in my fortune cookie tonight
  • I just hit 37 weeks so I'm not trying to have this baby yet, but I've been taking EPO and waking. I just borrowed a yoga ball from my neighbor so I'll sit/bounce on that as needed for hip pain. I used it during labor with my second while I was calling the nurses line and it helped a lot with contractions. I need to get RRLT and start drinking it, I think that and EPO helped last time with labor. When I get closer to 40 weeks I'll try nipple stimulation. If everything is favorable I'll ask to have my membranes stripped at my 39 week appointment which is 2 days before I'm due. 

• I had an appt on Friday and I'm already 1cm, 70% effaced, and he's -1. I'm 36w tomorrow and will start EPO and dates (just tried them for the first time tonight) as well as some red raspberry leaf tea, but nothing too serious. Just want to encourage a more healthy uterus and labor. Also bought some fresh pineapple to enjoy. DH and I have been having sex regularly so that's going to continue to happen (and probably more frequently now that I've started maternity leave). I've been sitting on a ball the whole pregnancy at work, and am going to try to sit on it daily still since it makes my hips and pelvis feel so much better than our couches/chairs.
    Basically I'm determined to go as long as they'll let me without induction this time, so anything goes. Since this is our last, I'm kinda savoring these last moments even though they suck major butt.
    DH + Me 12/2011
    DD 3/2012
    Baby on the way June 2016 :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nipple stim did nothing. Waiting till my 38 week appointment, which is Tuesday, to see if they'll do a cervix check. Forgot to add earlier RLT and oils as well. 

Make sure that you're cutting the pineapple fresh at home and not buying already cut fruit. The enzyme loses its potency after about 30 minutes of oxidation (or so I've read...)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not trying to start it yet, but I'm drinking rasberry leaf tea and exercising and walking still. 
    With my first I took castor oil at 41 weeks, the day before my induction was scheduled. Labor started on its own, and he was born about 24 hours after I took it. Don't know if it was related. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • cmac827cmac827 member
    edited May 2016
    I'm taking Gentle Birth Formula by Mountain Meadow Herbs per my midwife's recommendation.
    37 y/o
    Married 9/1/13
    Off OCP 3/1/14
    TTC 6/1/14
    DX Endometriosis in 2002
    Laparoscopy 2002 and 2007
    HSG 8/2014, right tube partially blocked
    1st BFP 1/5/15 EDD 9/12/15- miscarried 1/8/15
    BFP 10/5/15 EDD 6/17/16- delivered healthy girl 6/18/16
    BFP 8/4/16 EDD 3/2/18- trisomy 18 girl- no heartbeat 8/25/17 at 13 weeks d&c 8/28/17
    BFP 12/4/17 EDD 8/19/18

• cmac827 said:
    I'm taking Gentle Birth Formula by Mountain Meadow Herbs per my midwife's recommendation.
    I'm doing something similar- Christopher's Birth Prep. But more so for a (hopefully) easier delivery when it happens. 
    DH - 24; Me: 26
    Married 3/7/15
    Expecting Baby #1: 06/06/2016
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Is everyone already getting cervical checks? My doc doesn't start them until 38 weeks but a lot of you already seem to know how much you are dilated and effaced at 36-37 weeks. I am a STM but my first came early so a lot of this later-pregnancy stuff is totally new to me. I feel like I can't tell what's going on there at all! I am not trying in earnest to make him come right away (my next goal is this Friday) but last week there seemed to be some activity/change so I thought I would start trying some easy, low-key things to help things along. I stopped progesterone shots 12 (!!!) days ago so according to anecdotal and medical information I've seen, it would be reasonable for me to go ahead and be prepared. 
    TTC#1 since May 2011

• alileecam said:
    Is everyone already getting cervical checks? My doc doesn't start them until 38 weeks but a lot of you already seem to know how much you are dilated and effaced at 36-37 weeks. I am a STM but my first came early so a lot of this later-pregnancy stuff is totally new to me. I feel like I can't tell what's going on there at all! I am not trying in earnest to make him come right away (my next goal is this Friday) but last week there seemed to be some activity/change so I thought I would start trying some easy, low-key things to help things along. I stopped progesterone shots 12 (!!!) days ago so according to anecdotal and medical information I've seen, it would be reasonable for me to go ahead and be prepared. 
    My dr doesn't do them until 38/39 weeks (which 38 is now), so I will see tomorrow what the deal is with that. It's not that I'm in a rush to get LO out, I'm just beyond uncomfortable and miserable that I'm not opposed to her coming a week or two earlier than her due date. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • alileecam said:
    Is everyone already getting cervical checks? My doc doesn't start them until 38 weeks but a lot of you already seem to know how much you are dilated and effaced at 36-37 weeks. I am a STM but my first came early so a lot of this later-pregnancy stuff is totally new to me. I feel like I can't tell what's going on there at all! I am not trying in earnest to make him come right away (my next goal is this Friday) but last week there seemed to be some activity/change so I thought I would start trying some easy, low-key things to help things along. I stopped progesterone shots 12 (!!!) days ago so according to anecdotal and medical information I've seen, it would be reasonable for me to go ahead and be prepared. 
    My dr doesn't do them until 38/39 weeks (which 38 is now), so I will see tomorrow what the deal is with that. It's not that I'm in a rush to get LO out, I'm just beyond uncomfortable and miserable that I'm not opposed to her coming a week or two earlier than her due date. 
    Oh, I know! I don't think you are rushing--and I understand the discomfort and misery at this point. There have been a few days when I am seriously hobbling. No judgment whatsoever! :)
    TTC#1 since May 2011

• I haven't done anything yet since I've still got 4 weeks, but let me tell you about my first birth.  I was overdue, went to a dr appt to check fluid levels, which were great.  I went to the store and bought some non-dairy chocolate coconut milk ice cream (never had it before, but my manager at work had just been diagnosed with lupus and going non-dairy, so I was taking her some) We ate some in the office together and then I left and went home.  My water broke that night and I had DD1 the next morning. 
    Now...about 3 years later that same manager was pregnant and had messaged me that she was in labor and had eaten that same non-dairy ice cream right before. lol 
    I wanted to try it with DD2 just to see, but ended up with a scheduled C-sec so never got the chance.  If the time comes and I'm waiting on this LO, I'll try the ice cream again. 
    I'm sure it was just a coincidence but it's one of those things that make you wonder. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• I haven't done anything yet since I've still got 4 weeks, but let me tell you about my first birth.  I was overdue, went to a dr appt to check fluid levels, which were great.  I went to the store and bought some non-dairy chocolate coconut milk ice cream (never had it before, but my manager at work had just been diagnosed with lupus and going non-dairy, so I was taking her some) We ate some in the office together and then I left and went home.  My water broke that night and I had DD1 the next morning. 
    Now...about 3 years later that same manager was pregnant and had messaged me that she was in labor and had eaten that same non-dairy ice cream right before. lol 
    I wanted to try it with DD2 just to see, but ended up with a scheduled C-sec so never got the chance.  If the time comes and I'm waiting on this LO, I'll try the ice cream again. 
    I'm sure it was just a coincidence but it's one of those things that make you wonder. 
    It is no weirder than other things I have seen that are more on the old wives' tales end of things! (blowing up balloons, walking on a curb, etc.) I love to hear about the stranger ones. 
    TTC#1 since May 2011

• at my 38 week appointment last Friday my OB said I was 2cm and LO had dropped/engaged. I've just been sitting on my yoga ball. (helps relieve back pain) and walking. 
    with my first pregnancy I did nothing, my BP was so high and I was so swollen. I ended up being induced 2 days before my EDD.

• jennjebabyjennjebaby member
    edited May 2016
    Im 36 weeks and 3 days and my due date is June 16 but im not really trying anything right now. However, with all this nesting thing going on I think that maybe that is helping in some way. I just cant stop cleaning and preparing. My Mother in law tells me to stop and to take a break but I just cant haha. 
  • edited May 2016
    I never thought i would do anything to naturally induce, but since I had a 35+5 hospital visit/scare and really thought i was going to labor on 36+0 ive been having a hard time. Pain has increased significantly each day and i have trouble really walking or getting around much currently at 38+2. So i started slow with some of the techniques. 

I have been drinking red raspberry leaf tea made into iced tea which ive really enjoyed, but no actual effects. I also have been orally taking evening primrose, but am going to start inserting vaginally if nothing else than to help my cervix for labor. I have been bouncing on the ball but mainly started for pain relief as i was getting a lot of foot in the rib pain and this kind of helped. 

Yesterday finally tried walking more than a few steps which was rough, I doubt i even walked 1/4 of a mile, just walked a few blocks away and came back. We also did finally try sex which was more mentally challenging than anything else.

Today baby feels lower than ever, ive know she was 0 station/engaged for a week now but i swear she almost feels lower now. Belly pressure, lower abdominal pressure and light light period type cramps have been at an all time high today, so i do think im getting close all the same. I am just not sure that anything ive tried is really the reason.
  • I never thought i would do anything to naturally induce, but since I had a 35+5 hospital visit/scare and really thought i was going to labor on 36+0 ive been having a hard time. Pain has increased significantly each day and i have trouble really walking or getting around much currently at 38+2. So i started slow with some of the techniques. 

I have been drinking red raspberry leaf tea made into iced tea which ive really enjoyed, but no actual effects. I also have been orally taking evening primrose, but am going to start inserting vaginally if nothing else than to help my cervix for labor. I have been bouncing on the ball but mainly started for pain relief as i was getting a lot of foot in the rib pain and this kind of helped. 

Yesterday finally tried walking more than a few steps which was rough, I doubt i even walked 1/4 of a mile, just walked a few blocks away and came back. We also did finally try sex which was more mentally challenging than anything else.

Today baby feels lower than ever, ive know she was 0 station/engaged for a week now but i swear she almost feels lower now. Belly pressure, lower abdominal pressure and light light period type cramps have been at an all time high today, so i do think im getting close all the same. I am just not sure that anything ive tried is really the reason.
    @TheHauntedHauswife
    Just curious how you make it iced? Do you make a big batch or just brew one and then pour it over ice? I haven't been drinking mine because since really don't want it hot. 

• cmac827cmac827 member
    Im 36 weeks and 3 days and my due date is June 16 but im not really trying anything right now. However, with all this nesting thing going on I think that maybe that is helping in some way. I just cant stop cleaning and preparing. My Mother in law tells me to stop and to take a break but I just cant haha. 
    I'm due the day after you. Some of these things you start at 34-35 weeks, like the Gentle Birth Formula and Red raspberry leaf tea.
    37 y/o
    Married 9/1/13
    Off OCP 3/1/14
    TTC 6/1/14
    DX Endometriosis in 2002
    Laparoscopy 2002 and 2007
    HSG 8/2014, right tube partially blocked
    1st BFP 1/5/15 EDD 9/12/15- miscarried 1/8/15
    BFP 10/5/15 EDD 6/17/16- delivered healthy girl 6/18/16
    BFP 8/4/16 EDD 3/2/18- trisomy 18 girl- no heartbeat 8/25/17 at 13 weeks d&c 8/28/17
    BFP 12/4/17 EDD 8/19/18

• mamabird24 I had every intention of making a pitcher of it, because i do have an ''ice tea maker'' but you need to use like 6-8 teabags for that and i was afraid to waste that many off the bat if i hated it and also i was out of large jugs of water that I would have needed to do that. If i was more mobile i would run and get another box and do that. However, i have instead been having my husband poor a large cup when he makes his morning tea and after it steeps for like an hour i move it to the fridge. Then by lunch i poor the chilled cup over ice in a new cup. Im not getting in as much as i want to though doing it this way. In retrospect i would have made a whole pitcher if i could have. If i use up this box (i think i have 4 bags left) and i still have not gone into labor, I will likely try and acquire a new box and do a pitcher. But im having such a hard time moving around right now that i really cant easy get more right now.
  • @TheHauntedHauswife
    Thanks for the info.  Sorry you're not feeling well, hopefully it won't be too much longer for you!
    I still have almost a whole box (I've had 2 or 3 bags) but I'm just overheating all the time as it is, so hot drinks are not what I want right now. Since I've tried it and know I like it, I'll probably make a pitcher...or large jar...or whatever I can find to hold a lot of liquid lol to keep in the fridge.

Thanks again and hang in there!!  

• I had my first cervical check today at 38 weeks 4 days.  I am 1 cm and 20% and my cervix is still pretty far back.  My OB doesn't start the checks until week 38 and I'm glad to have put them off until now because it was not comfortable in the least.  I'm not doing anything to try and get labor going for now but when I am ready to try, I intend to increase my walking, do deep squats and do more stairs.  As for food I will do pineapple and raspberry leaf tea.  I have already tried the tea and it gave me crazy BH so I stopped. My OB also suggested nipple stimulation and sex, I will try that only if I get desperate.

I have talked myself into believing that I will go past my due date.  I think that is also helping me manage these last couple of weeks.  
    Me: 29
    The Mr.: 31
    EDD: 6/2/16
    Furbabies: 3 rescue dogs
  • xc1148xc1148 member
    MynaBird said:
    Schedule an induction and put clean sheets on your bed. I'm pretty sure that's what made my water break last time.
    Haha! I was in labor for 20 hours (pain still manageable) and at midnight my husband said, "okay, well, I'm going to go to sleep since I'm pretty sure you're having the baby tomorrow" and as soon as his head hit the pillow my water broke. Poor guy had stayed up with me all day to hold my hand lol
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• I've tried everything. Yesterday, at the Dr's my cervix was completely closed and baby was still high. I'm going to try taking EPO but it's frustrating to continue to have contractions and no dilation.
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So funny story... yesterday, I literally had pineapple for lunch, sat on a yoga ball and did nipple stimulation during the deed (not actual sex though cause it's just uncomfortable and with the possibility that my water leaked a few days ago I didn't want to risk it) aaaaand I got my bloody show. Cause and effect??? Maybe not but funny coincidence. Lol
  • I walked two miles yesterday, mostly just for exercise. I haven't had my cervix checked yet, but my MW doesn't start checking until 38 weeks. If I'm still high and closed I'm going to try sex.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With my first two I did everything.  all of the above.  the whole enchilada. 

And they came 10 days & two weeks post-dates.  Sigh.
  • I started evening primrose oil pills at 36 weeks by directions from my midwife, 1000mg orally & 1000mg vaginally once a day. At 36w I was 1cm dilated & 50% effaced, & last night (37w 2d) I was 2cm dilated & 80% effaced. Idk if there's any correlation between the two, but I'm definitely going to continue taking them. With DD I didn't take EPO, & ended up having to be induced.
  • All you ladies that have started evening primrose oil have you noticed an increase in acne/ oily skin? 
    I've had pretty clear skin this pregnancy and have been so greasy and breaking out a lot since starting it. I thought it was just the weather getting hotter and maybe it is but I'm switching to vaginally only to see if it helps. 
  • MynaBird said:
    Schedule an induction and put clean sheets on your bed. I'm pretty sure that's what made my water break last time.

You! I woke up the morning of my induction to consistent ctx and my water broke on my way to the hospital. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Tawny87Tawny87 member
    Well my dr told me I could break out my pump today if I want to. I think I would feel slightly weird pumping with no baby lol.
  • My DH came home Monday and was like "wanna induce labor ;) " and I felt some cramping shortly after that and I think I'm now losing pieces of my mucus plug because there has been a lot more discharge over the last few days. I'm also drinking red raspberry leaf iced tea which is DELICIOUS (1. boil 2 cups of water per 2 tea bags, let it steep 30 minutes 2. Add 1 cup water, 1 cup lemonade). I had a patent, who just saw me yesterday, say that it looks like my LO is sitting a lot lower. Fingers crossed! I'm 39 weeks today, 1 week until EDD!