Pregnant after 35

Weekly Check In 5/20

2»

Re: Weekly Check In 5/20

• @Mamafesto -- I grew up about an hour south of SF. It is one of my favorite places on the planet! Glad you are enjoying!
  • @Mamafesto I started waddling yesterday. I woke up with pain in my groin like I had been hanging in a rock climbing harness for days. It hasn't gone away. I know I've been pregnant since November, but between the hobbit feet and the waddling, I am for real pregnant now. (The foot swelling has gone down considerably, though.)
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Loading the player...
  • @Sporty1216 yay yay yay!!! So happy for you!!
  • @jilligan14 I meant to write this before but I also had the question of when does the rib cage go back to normal size. From asking around and reading online it looks like it can take up to a year to go back, but everyone is different. Ridiculous answer i know!!!
  • @createillumination - a whole year?!?!??! Seriously! Wowza. I wasn't expecting that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

**GD update: My DH called the nurse this morning and basically explained that I can't do the sugar drink again because I was a total train wreck. She said I should be able to go straight to daily monitoring, she just has to confirm with midwife that it's okay to go this route. Fingers crossed! I know it will be a pain, but I seriously don't want to expose my body to that much sugar again. It was just too rough.
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Good news about the hope that you can go straight to daily monitoring! I hope your midwife okays it! Seems like it should be more accurate than the 3 hour test anyway....
  • Great news @sporty1216! I just had to do mine and keep track of the number 4x's a day for 2 weeks. Check with ur midwife on that. Wouldn't want you to have to do it the whole time if you don't need to;)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh and awesome news about baby @sporty1216!! Rockin it!!
  • Great news @Sporty1216!  So happy your appointment was quick and easy.  And @jilligan14, I'm happy you don't have to drink the drink again.  Because for the 3 hour, it's WAY more sugar.  Ugh.  The poking the finger thing doesn't seem so bad when I think about it.  I even told my endocrinologist, I'd start monitoring 4x/day from the very moment I got my BFP if I didn't have to do that test again.  HAHA.  Luckily I didn't have to start till 16 weeks.  :)

I had a quick and easy appointment today too.  After all the drama of the last 4 weeks, my appointment was a little anti-climactic.  I did find out I need to have twice weekly monitoring again from 32 weeks on.  GREAT.  It's a total pain in the a** to schedule because once a week it's a biophysical profile and non-stress test, which takes much longer. UGH and then once per week, just a non-stress test.  But, add in growth ultrasounds at 32 and 36 weeks and actual appointments with the OB and it's ridiculous.  They scheduled them all for me supposedly based on the days/times I told them I was available.  I looked this afternoon and I have to reschedule about half of them.  PLUS, all my OB appointments were scheduled with the NP at my clinic who I don't care for.  She diagnosed my c-section incision infection with my daughter and by her attitude, she seemed to think it was MY fault.  So, I have to reschedule those too.  Am I being ridiculous that I'd kind of like to see MY OB for my routine OB appointments?  Jesus.  Maybe I'm being hormonal, but I think I'm allowed a little hormonal rant...
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • @emsmama15 no way!!! See the OB you like don't compromise on your care you deserve! Sorry about all those appointments that sounds utterly impossible to make happen  :'(
  • @emsmama15 -- whoa! that's a lot to schedule. ABSOLUTELY reschedule to see your OB who you like. It's not worth dealing with someone you don't like/trust. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing a schedule like that before too long...between seeing my OB, seeing the MFM, and then added monitoring she already told me would happen because I'm over 40, I have a feeling tables in offices are going to be my home away from home before long too. If you've got to be there a lot, you should at least be with someone you like!
  • Absolutely @emsmama15, schedule to see your OB, seeing as you'll be living at your dr's. Is your job understanding? I've been doing the twice weekly for the last 5 weeks, BPP at the beginning of the week, nst 3 days later, I love there. Throw in waiting times, it's a full time job. Frustrating as they don't allow children at my dr's but all what's best for babies in the end! 
  • What does the biophysical profile entail? I feel like that may well be in our future, so figure I'll take the chance to have you all educAte me a bit!

@wyattnash--that is so frustrating that they don't allow kids! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't bring my kiddo to appointments. Without family around, it's tough!
  • Sorry I'm late here. Was a crazy weekend and Monday!

How far along are you? 18 weeks 1 day

How are you feeling? Pretty good, headaches here and there, some can be horrible but mostly doing well.

Where are you at with your nursery/baby space? We bought our furniture! Just need to get the nursery cleaned out and paint it soon. I can't wait to get it all done! 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) We have our level 2 anatomy scan Thursday morning. Can't wait! So excited!! I'm hoping that all is well with our little man. Then I have another appointment on Saturday morning for an internal US. 

Rants/Raves/Questions: Just getting anxious for the scan on Thursday. and I wish I could sleep a little better. So tired lately. 

GTKY: If all things were made easy, and you could step right into life in a new city in the same circumstances you live in now, what city would you live in for one year and why? Would you live abroad? Hmmmm. My DH wants to transfer to West Palm Beach, FL in a couple years, once our son is going into school full time and I really hope it happens. I love warm weather and the beach. And my parents are in FL so we'd be closer to them. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• @sporty1216, we get an USEvery week, the BPP includes measurements, fluid check, blood check from the cord and a few other things that I should know. Weight is only measured every other week in my case as a week isn't a significant change. We have zero family here and I feel terrible asking friends all the time, have I mentioned I'm ready for this baby to get out?!!
  • Ok. Thanks, @Wyattnash00 ! That sounds like what we're doing with the MFM. I'm so grateful both my OB and the MFM allow kiddos. We don't have family nearby (though we're lucky that grandparents who live 2+ hours away will come if we really need them to) and most of our friends are not super available for babysitting. It is hard. glad you are getting close! (Though I know that holds its own challenges given your DH's leave situation)  
  • @emsmama15 - Wait, the 3-hour test is MORE sugar? I thought it was the same exact drink. Yikes! That sounds like a total nightmare. I'm actually still waiting to hear back from my midwife to see if she approves us going straight to monitoring. I've left two messages on the nurse line but haven't heard anything back from anyone. My 3-hour appointment is still listed on my online account for tomorrow morning at 8am. Blah. I don't know what to do. I don't want to miss my appointment if my midwife ends up not approving the alternative route. But I also don't want to show up at 8am and them tell me to go home. Sorry to hear about all your scheduling stuff! I think you have every right to see your regular OB. I mean, you're having twins! You should be calling ALL of the shots!!
  • @jilligan14 -- that's nuts that they haven't gotten back to you! If you don't hear anything, I'd probably go to the appointment and advocate for yourself there. Maybe your DH can go (or send a video!) too?
  • **Update: The nurse eventually called me tonight and told me that the midwife approved of this plan!! Yay! No more sugar! Basically they have to give me the diagnosis of gestational diabetes in order to write the prescription. I went and picked up the blood monitoring kit from the pharmacy tonight and am seeing the nurse tomorrow to learn how to use it. Fingers crossed my levels all look good :-)
  • Fantastic @jilligan14! Congratulations and good luck!
  • Oh @jilligan14 - I'm so happy for you.  Yeah, the drink is different.  The one hour had little effect on me, but my reaction to the three hour was about what yours was last week.  My sugars were high at 1 and 2 hours and bottomed out to the 50s at the 3 hour mark.  Then they sent me on my merry way home and I almost passed out driving home. It was mid-winter in Minnesota and I had all the windows down because I was sweating and nauseous.  It was HORRIBLE!!  Have I said that before?  I literally begged my endo every single time I saw him from my postpartum visit to my last appointment before I got pregnant again to not have to do the test again.  I would have done anything to avoid it.  I'm just going to say this, in my own experience and with friends with GD, having such an adverse reaction to the testing usually means you do have it.  My guess is that your sugar spiked up and then crashed down and that's what left you feeling so crappy all day.  So, I'm glad you're jumping right to checking sugars and I'm guessing with your low sugar diet, your numbers will be fine.  But with PCOS, you are at increased risk - it doesn't matter how much sugar you normally eat or how majorly athletic you are.  
  • Thanks for the support ladies.  I emailed my OB and she hooked me up with a scheduling person who helped me change all but two of my appointments to be with her (she's actually on vacation two of the weeks I need to be seen).  It seems crazy, but I only have 5 OB appointments left before my scheduled c-section - which I also scheduled today for Aug 16th - 38w1d.  I've been off work for about a week so 38 weeks seems totally doable.  I got back tomorrow and work 6 of the next 8 days and by the end I know I'll be saying 38 is NOT doable.  :)  With all the other appointments though, I'm happy I won't have to be seen too many more times for actual appointments.  

@Sporty1216, the BPP gives a score of 0-2 for the following: Fluid level, movement, practicing breathing, tone, and heart beat reactivity (non-stress test).
  • @emsmama15 - oh wow, the 3-hour test sounds so horrible!!! I'm pretty sure it would've killed me if I reacted so badly to the first drink. I've always known I'm at a higher risk of GD since I have PCOS. I'd actually pushed to do the GD test earlier (also because I just wanted to get it out of the way) but everyone kept saying no because I wasn't overweight and I was so active. I've never been able to tolerate sugar, even though I've been tested for regular diabetes before and never came close (but then again, I was never given a sugar drink as part of the test). I'm pretty sure I have some form of GD in the way that my sensitivity to sweet stuff has increased during this pregnancy (I'm feeling even more sensitive to some fruits and the such) but I do feel confident that I can keep my levels within range by sticking to my low-sugar, low-carb diet. I've done two tests today already and my levels were 99 and 111. They want them to be below 140 so it looks like I'm doing okay so far! The nurse did say that the midwife will most likely want me to keep doing the daily monitoring for the remaining 11 weeks. But in the end, it's all way better than putting me (and the baby) through all that sugar again! Did you have to do the test again this time or did they have you go straight to monitoring? Do you have to do it throughout your entire pregnancy? I'm glad you were able to change your appointments!
  • I didn't have to do it this time.  Thank god.  I had my fasting blood sugar and Hgb A1C checked every 4 weeks.  When my fasting got above 95, my endo had me start monitoring 4 times per day.  It was worth it.  :)