Pregnant after 35

Weekly Check In 5/20

lickasticklickastick member
edited May 2016 in Pregnant after 35
Looks like everyone was up all night long! I only just woke up from my post-pregsomnia coma after being up half the night. Sorry to be late this morning ladies!

How far along are you? 

How are you feeling?

Where are you at with your nursery/baby space?

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)

Rants/Raves/Questions:

GTKY: If all things were made easy, and you could step right into life in a new city in the same circumstances you live in now, what city would you live in for one year and why? Would you live abroad? 

Re: Weekly Check In 5/20

• Loading the player...
  • @lillebowski23 - I totally want to know what brand nursing bra you ordered! I'm still struggling with finding a comfortable bra and have given up momentarily. I'm basically living in $5 cotton sports bras from Walmart but that won't work when baby is here and demanding the boob all the time.

*update: I failed the glucose test. I need to go in on Wednesday to do the 3-hour test. I'm seriously so bummed about this because I've really made a point to eat super healthy this pregnancy - no sugary treats, lots of protein, minimal carbs, etc. Blah. :'(
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • @jilligan14 oh noooooooo I'm sorry :'( I really don't do well with sugar on an empty stomach either so I talked my midwife into an alternative test. I'm doing the H1c test as a screening and fingerpricks for 2 weeks if I need to for diagnosis. That sucks to have to do 3 hour it's one of my biggest nightmares hopefully you will pass with flying colors!!
  • Ugh @jilligan14:( I feel ur pain on not passing the glucose. I did the finger pricks for 2 weeks and was fine. But even with eating healthy, there's sugar secretly in so much plus I learned you need a certain balance of carbs. It all just sucks:(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wow, @jilligan14 -- I didn't see that coming!  I hope the next test goes better!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Oh @jilligan14 - that sucks.  Did you fail by a lot or just barely?  I hope you pass the 3 hour.  The three hour was DREADFUL for me when I had to do it with my first pregnancy - but I also HAD gestational diabetes, so my sugar went pretty high and then bottomed out after the fact.  I hope yours is not so dreadful.  I know you're at increased risk due to PCOS, but I honestly thought with your healthy eating, you'd be fine.  Total bummer.  BUT, you know if you need any tips, I'm your girl! :)  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • @createillumination and @lillebowski23 how could you tell when baby was transverse? Maybe it's too early for me to tell, but she was transverse at my a/s last week. I do feel kicks up top and center so figured she was head down, but she just had her legs reaching up. 
  • @BernieRae i was having some unusual discomfort in my sides around the time of a monthly OB appt and she said the baby was tranverse. I think I was 27/28 weeks. My last appointment she was head up bum down. So the kid moves a lot!

@jilligan14 the wireless bra is from Q-T intimates. I got it theu Zulilly and I think it was via the LLL seller. I am wearing it now as I am about to head out for a walk so we'll see how it feels after that! The bandeau is from LLL.
  • @createillumination - Agggghhhh! I'm so jealous that you get to take an alternative test! I actually just wrote to my midwife seeing if there was any possible alternative to me having to take the sugar drink again (such as finger pricks/daily monitoring). We'll see what she says but my practice seems pretty traditional, even the midwives like to stick to the rules/protocol. Blah!

@emsmama15 - My level was 167 and the midwife said she wanted to see it below 135. So it was definitely above the threshold but not sure if that's super high in the scheme of things? Sorry you still aren't feeling 100%! I agree that having twins can seem super overwhelming - just take one day at a time. I think you're really doing great with it all!

Thanks all for the support. I really think this glucose test is insane since I don't EVER eat or drink refined sugar products. I mean, I avoid refined sugar like it's the plague - I check all labels (even things like salsa, spaghetti sauce, etc.) so of course this drink was a total and complete shock to my system. I seriously had to sleep the whole day and I wasn't that much fun to be around that evening. So I just have this feeling that my body will keep responding poorly just because it's not used to such a high level of sugar at once. I'm so dreading losing another day to a "sugar crash" and I really hope my midwife will just let me move straight to daily monitoring.
  • @jilligan14 - I hope you can just do the monitoring too.  Fingers crossed! 
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • BernieRaeBernieRae member
    edited May 2016
    How far along are you?  21 weeks

How are you feeling? People ask me this all the time now. It's everyone's new "hi". Pregnancy wise I'm doing well. I do think I have a little cold though. 

Where are you at with your nursery/baby space? It is thought out and we have a pile of baby shi stuff in a spare room. We have the glider and dresser, but still need the crib. We also want to get a rug and a footstool. Everything needs to get moved to what will be her room and then move all of that guest room stuff out. I hope we can do this soon. I think once we have things set up I will be easier to see what we still need/want. 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Nope 

Rants/Raves/Questions: mood *ETA ha! This was supposed to say nope. 

GTKY: If all things were made easy, and you could step right into life in a new city in the same circumstances you live in now, what city would you live in for one year and why? Would you live abroad? 

I like Portland, but I guess I'd try a lot of different places for a year. It would be hard to pass up an opportunity like that. Nothing specific comes to mind, but a warmer and sunnier climate would be nice as long as it wasn't very humid. @createillumination -maybe San Diego ;) I'm also curious about what it would be like to be back in the Chicago area. I don't really want to move back there, but I wonder how it would be, being back there married with a child. 
  • @BernieRae San Diego makes a great babymoon destination!!! Come visit anytime!

re: transverse baby- for some reason it just doesn't feel right when I walk and move around like when he is vertical. He stretches out like a cat and that hurts. :/ Also he was kicking my bladder forever, but now the kicks and punches are on the sides like lillebowski said. 
  • My kicks and punches are mostly on the sides, but at my u/s's the baby is always vertical. Which is why I'm convinced she has legs sticking out from her sides. That's going to make for a difficult delivery.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Oh my goodness, @redheadbride15 ! I'm so sorry about your experience. I know you know this, but the MFM I saw said he doesn't worry unless babies are below 10%. Ours was measuring 15th and then 21st and he said he thought growth was looking great! Some babies do, indeed, have to be small!

i hope the Urine collection isn't too awful and that you get the all clear next week. The bookends of pregnancy can be so stressful. But you're getting so close to baby in your arms, which makes it alllll worth it. 

Take good care and I hope you can get some good rest. Keep us updated on how things go next week..:
  • Ugh @redheadbride15, what a terrible day yesterday, I'm so sorry you had to meet with a different dr., and how unprofessional.  Is your practice the kind that shares dr's, i.e. If you go into labor and your dr is unavailable you have anyone from the practice? I would make that known that you are not interested in seeing this dr again...ever. And as you know my babe measured in the 7th%, 2 weeks later was 14%, and also as you told me, these tests are inaccurate.  Do you have an appointment to see your dr this week? It sounds like your OB is not worried so I'd go with that feeling for today, hang in there momma.
  • 36+5

feeling...done. I've caught the cold my son had, my husband caught the cough, I've been using afrin at night, no comments, I need the little sleep I can get.

still need to set up her pnp in the corner of our room, to be honest if my husband comes home from the hospital and sets it up that's cool with me. I don't want to stare at it for 2 weeks and have it take up a large chunk of our room. All clothes are washed though, progress. If car seat base gets put in tomorrow I'll feel accomplished:)

this his is a rant. I'm sick of my husbands job and schedule, grrrr. One more year, but the army just give us zero control. He's had to work the mast 2 weekends, and late mon-wed this week. I had a full meltdown yesterday when he told me this, I'm just done, having contractions, more then tired. I haven't had a breakdown yet, so I was due. Poor guy, not his fault but who else to take it out on? Plus he gets TWO days off for my CS, I'll be in the hospital for 4, and the a week off starting July 1, family planning in this life is just a joke.

hmmm, live for a year, and it's a place we've been? I love Charleston, sc, also lived in SF for a couple years after college, if it wasn't so damn expensive, I'd say there, it would be such a different experience with a family.
  • lickasticklickastick member
    edited May 2016
    @redheadbride15 man oh man that sucks! And with all the house hunting stuff you must be stressed to your limit! Don't let that OB bully you and listen to your body and intuition.  I know this might sound corny, so only take what you want from my statement: this could be a great opportunity to practice breathing, relaxing, and surrendering. I always look a tough situations as opportunities to get to the next level of where I need to be. That doesn't mean that I'm not horribly uncomfortable and stressed, but if I can step back even just a little bit and see how ridiculous everything is, that usually helps me.  And again you do you- you don't have to listen to a word I say!!! :p  I would highly recommend the Bhramari meditation for you right now. Just practice three minutes and see if it changes anything.  It's a sweet meditation that can be practiced with a stuffy nose and is specific for reducing stress in pregnancy.

here is a link: https://www.artofliving.org/us-en/yoga/breathing-techniques/bhramari-pranayama

Let us know if there's any other way we can help you out! Sending you all the good thoughts and vibes! 

@Wyattnash00  I think it's criminal that you can't have your DH's support at such a precious time! And 2days post C-section is nowhere near adequate, I'm angry for you!  Let us know if there's anything we can do for you 
    :/ 
  • @redheadbride15 and @Wyattnash00 major suckfest all around! Thinking of you both and sending good thoughts your way!
  • @Wyattnash00 -- sounds like you totally earned that breakdown. Dang! The military really does need to do better for its families. Will you have your parents or in-laws there to help? Wish we were all nearby and could lend a hand. 
  • Awwww. Really heart you guys!!! Wish you could all be here:) My mother in law will be here the week im
    in the hospital then mine for 2 weeks, thank heavens. But most likely hubs will have 2of4 days off I'm in the hospital.  I've learned a lot in these 5 military years, will make us appreciate the 'real' works SOOO much more!
  • @Wyattnash00 BOO for your hubby's terrible working hours and leave policy. I'm glad you two only have a year left. Hugs for you! Hang in there! We are both SO CLOSE! And yes, my OB is a sharing practice but it's a HUGE practice (like 30 docs) so the chance of seeing her again is pretty low. Honestly I think she's probably a good doctor, but her style is WAY more cautious and I had gotten used to my OB who is very minimal in her approach - I have actually been surprised by the lack of extra monitoring or tests that she has recommended. So I was totally taken off guard.

Thanks for your support, everyone. I'm not gonna lie... these last few weeks of pregnancy are the pits. I'm letting DH take on the house hunt for now. Despite everything going on we're still going to put in a bid on another house... we can't really afford to stop the fight.

@createillumination
    I LOVE your meditation recommendations. DH and I have actually been meditating daily for the past month or so - basic deep breathing mindfulness stuff. It's really hard, but I do think it's helpful. The Bhramari technique is new to me though - thanks for sharing! I'll give it a whirl.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • I'm only 30 weeks, but with this feet/ankle swelling and general achiness and malaise today, I'm feeling so done. @redheadbride15 and @Wyattnash00 I can't imagine what you guys feel like right now. I'm sorry you're both dealing with unpleasant stuff. Me and my hobbit feet wish you well!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited May 2016
    Oh, the hobbit feet. Seriously my least-favorite pregnancy symptom. Can't wait to have them in July and August Which, I'm guessing, is what it is already like for you in Florida!. :( hang in there, @CarrieandRoy !
  • I was hoping I'd have normal feet when I woke up, but one of them is still puffy. I'm sure they will swell up to hobbit size as soon as I walk around. It is hot in Florida, but not in the a/c, so I can't blame it on that.  :(
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Shoot, @CarrieandRoy   It happened to me with my son when it was still snowing out, so I hear ya that the heat isn't always the culprit. Mine pretty much stayed puffy for the last couple months of the pregnancy. Now that I'm thinking about it more, though, one thing that helped--and just felt good!--was doing Epsom salt soaks for my feet. I would get a little tub and mix Epsom salts into lukewarm water and just soak. It seemed to draw away some of the swelling. 
  • Hobbit feet! Lol! Ladies, I know swelling isn't fun, but I do so enjoy that description of it. Except I am also picturing feet covered with hair...
  • @redheadbride15 - sorry you had to go through all that. It's tough when each doctor has a different approach. Glad you worked out a solution for now until you can talk to your regular OB.

@Wyattnash00 - I so wish we could organize a team of us to travel around and help support each other. Glad you're going to have some support from MIL and your own mama.

@CarrieandRoy - oh no, hobbit feet! You are always a few steps ahead of me so I always know what's to come. I actually tend to have hairy toes (I know, gross) and imagine I won't be able to shave them once I get bigger so I really will have true hobbit feet. Fun times.

I know I've brought up bra issues many times, but was reading that you should measure yourself at 8 months and then go up a cup size (to account for when your milk comes in) when shopping for a nursing bra. But what about the expanded rib cage? I mean, won't my rib cage shrink back down after baby is here, which will affect my band size? My band measurement has definitely increased by at least 3 or so inches during the pregnancy and I have no idea how quickly it will take to go back to my pre-pregnancy band size. Do any moms have any experience with this? I kind of want to have at least one nursing bra on hand so I'm not stuck having to walk around completely topless. Although I'm sure DH wouldn't complain about that ;)

• @jilligan14-- I stopped in at a local store that does lactation consulting and sells nursing bras, etc and their recommendation was to come in about 6-8 weeks post-partum to get fitted. That allows some time for ribs to move back and for milk to regulate. That said, so long as the band is pretty adjustable, I bet you'd be fine to do the other thing too. Last time, I just used some bras I had from motherhood maternity that we really stretchy, along with nursing tanks and then bought some cheap nursing bras. This time, I will probably start out the same, but then go invest in some really good ones once my supply regulates since I nursed my son for almost two years. ;)

also, a traveling support team sounds awesome! I wish we could do that!

@redheadbride--I'm so glad you got to talk to your regular OB. And, I absolutely found that I was more and more willing to do whatever I needed to in order to ensure baby's safety and mine last time around. At some point, the worrying is totally worse than the doing the thing you didn't think you wanted to do. I'm glad you have an OB you like and trust as you work through making these choices. Trust your gut. Mama instinct is real. 
  • @redheadbride15 I'm so sorry to hear about your awful ordeal with the BP. I'm glad you're such a good self advocate; I've seen too many women get pushed into unnecessary interventions. 15th percentile sounds totally fine. My guy was in the 3rd and did great - natural birth, no complications, no NICU time. As you know, their methods of determining baby weight are notoriously unreliable anyway. Sounds like you have a good plan going forward!

@Wyattnash00, so sorry you're struggling with DH's schedule. Pregnancy + toddler to chase is hard enough without the added stress. I hope you find the support you need to get through those critical first weeks. I won't go too political on you , but this just underscored why we need a major political shift (you might guess what my political leanings are given where I'm from :)! Anyway, it's just criminal that there is not mandatory paid family leave for at least the first few months!

@CarrieandRoy, look in the bright side...at least you can't see your hobbit feet bc of the bump!

Great reading everyone else's updates!
  • Also, forget to say I'm sorry about failing the GD test, @jilligan14! I have a very strong suspicion you'd pass the longer one and your blood sugar is probably fine. But what a pain! Fingers crossed your providers don't make you do the 3-hour!