2nd Trimester

Genetic carrier blood test

I am currently 14+2 wks pregnant and me and my boyfriend are really curious about the gender. Dies the test cost any extra? Is it worth it or shall I wait? How long does the results take?

Re: Genetic carrier blood test

• Yes. With out insurance, it is between  $3500 and $5,000. So honestly,  unless you have a reason that genetic testing is warrented, it is worth the wait. Also, when they did my testing with my 2nd, it did not include the sex gene. 
    Learn patience now,  it will save you a lot of stress in the future. 
  • You can't wait another 5-6 weeks to find out the sex? You're in for a looooooong pregnancy if that's the case. Some tests are covered PARTIALLY by insurance. This specific test, which looks for genetic markers/abnormalities, is usually NOT covered unless your are labeled "high risk", and even then it's not a guarantee they'll cover it. Personally I'd just stick to the recommended screenings and wait the 5 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not talking about the NT ultrasound I'm talking about the blood test that determines the gender the NT does not determine gender
  • We aren't talking about the NT either. That happens at 10-14 weeks. The ANATOMY scan will determine the SEX of your baby. You literally have 5 weeks left before it. Why spend an exorbitant amount of money on a blood draw when you can wait, apparently impatiently, and find out via A/S?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • goldie987goldie987 member
    edited May 2016
    Those tests run a few thousand dollars.  My office required you pay $250 up front if you weren't a "high risk" patient (advanced maternal age or a history of pregnancies with known chromosomal problems) and then you were also responsible for whatever insurance didn't cover.  The results also usually take 2 weeks to come back, meaning you'll only be 4 weeks away from finding out the sex at the anatomy scan. 

Is it frustrating to have to wait until 20 weeks for the anatomy scan to learn the sex of your baby (fyi its technically sex, not gender)? Sure, but at 33 weeks, I've found the wait between 20 and 40 weeks to be much tougher because I just want her to be here already and there's absolutely nothing I can do to make her come any faster.

If you've got the spare $$ to throw away, then go for the test but to me, it wouldn't be worth it at all. 
  • i paid $1100 after insurance with my twins. I am not sure what mine cost this time b/c I haven't gotten the bill yet.  Both of my pregnancies were after the age of 35, so my MFM wanted me to do the blood test.   Honestly, unless you are worried about a chromosomal abnormality, I would wait. The bills after were not fun.

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• IB113IB113 member
    Ask your insurance. We aren't high risk or advanced maternal age or anything and it cost us $80 after insurance for the truncated Maternit21 that they are offering. That said, idk if you are too late. We did ours at 10 weeks.
  • wildtotwildtot member
    We decided to do it. It took less than two weeks for results. Our insurance covered it 100%. If it didn't cover it my doc office told us it was going to be less than $150. I was considered high risk (not due to chromosome issues but rather other complications) so maybe that's why it was pain in full? Check with your doc and insurance too see how much it would be. 
  • We decided to do it. It took less than two weeks for results. Our insurance covered it 100%. If it didn't cover it my doc office told us it was going to be less than $150. I was considered high risk (not due to chromosome issues but rather other complications) so maybe that's why it was pain in full? Check with your doc and insurance too see how much it would be. 
    High risk pregnancies usually qualify for assistance. However, insurance usually won't cover anything just because you want to know the sex of the baby before your scan.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Please don't waste services to simply find out the sex of the baby. Unless you have true reasons to do this test just wait like most people. Practicing patience this early on is good practice for late pregnancy 
  • juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited May 2016
    If you're at 14 weeks why do it? You won't get results until 16 weeks and by then you can tell via ultrasound which should be scheduled around 18 weeks. Why spend all that money to find out a few DAYS sooner??? You may as well just pay for a private ultrasound at 16 weeks if you really have to know a few days before your anatomy scan. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• If your not over 35 or high risk I would wait, our test was 8,000 and not all insurance covers it. We had it done so we could also make sure baby didn't have abnormalities. 
  • I side eye doing a major genetic test just for the fringe benefit of satisfying your curiosity. By the time you book the appointment and wait for the lab results, you are going to be pretty damn close to your anatomy scan anyway.

For a cheaper option, why not do one of those boutique elective ultrasound places? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • ThscaryThscary member
    You can always order one of the online kits. I did sneak peek test at 10 weeks. It's a home kit that requires a blood sample from a fingerstick and gets to sent to a lab. You can find on Amazon. I've heard some people say it got theirs wrong but it was right for us
  • RCloudRCloud member
    edited May 2016
    Not sure where you guys live that genetic testing is so expensive (nor am I sure why you care what someone else decides to spend their money on), but for me it was only $200 without insurance. I'm not high risk, but I got it done regardless, because I wanted to make sure I was prepared in the event something was seriously wrong with my son. I don't think she's being unreasonable with being anxious on finding out the gender of her baby. I was anxious too, as a lot of women are. Who cares?

• RCloudRCloud member
    RCloud said:
    Not sure where you guys live that genetic testing is so expensive (nor am I sure why you care what someone else decides to spend their money on), but for me it was only $200 without insurance. I'm not high risk, but I got it done regardless, because I wanted to make sure I was prepared in the event something was seriously wrong with my son. I don't think she's being unreasonable with being anxious on finding out the gender of her baby. I was anxious too, as a lot of women are. Who cares?
    That is a write off for the test. The official cost is in the thousands, but your Dr was able to order it under a code that means he/she felt it was worth the ability to know the genetic results. As you said, I rather know my child is ok from a genetic stand point to be prepared.

Unable to wait 2-4 weeks to know if my child has a penis or vagina is not anxiety but impatiences.

As for why I care. It is reasons like this that 1) drive up the wait time for people who need this test for real reasons. 2) It drives up the cost of health care. It is the same thing when people go to the ER for none emergency reasons.
    Just because you don't get excited about knowing the gender, doesn't mean its wrong for others that do. 

Again, I'm not high risk either. The test was simply offered to me as its offered to everyone at my doctor's office, high risk or not, and I took it. By what you're saying, myself and every other person who's taken the test that didn't really "need it" are also supposedly responsible for driving up wait times and cost of health care. How about you mind your own buisness? Telling other women what they should and shouldn't do and shaming them just because you disagree with what tests they want to take and how they spend their money is childish. 

• sgrho2sgrho2 member
    edited May 2016
  • RCloudRCloud member
    RCloud said:
    RCloud said:
    That is a write off for the test. The official cost is in the thousands, but your Dr was able to order it under a code that means he/she felt it was worth the ability to know the genetic results. As you said, I rather know my child is ok from a genetic stand point to be prepared.

Unable to wait 2-4 weeks to know if my child has a penis or vagina is not anxiety but impatiences.

As for why I care. It is reasons like this that 1) drive up the wait time for people who need this test for real reasons. 2) It drives up the cost of health care. It is the same thing when people go to the ER for none emergency reasons.
    Just because you don't get excited about knowing the gender, doesn't mean its wrong for others that do. 

Again, I'm not high risk either. The test was simply offered to me as its offered to everyone at my doctor's office, high risk or not, and I took it. By what you're saying, myself and every other person who's taken the test that didn't really "need it" are also supposedly responsible for driving up wait times and cost of health care. How about you mind your own buisness? Telling other women what they should and shouldn't do and shaming them just because you disagree with what tests they want to take and how they spend their money is childish. 
    Hi. I see you're new around here. Welcome, first off.

Secondly, everyone gets excited about finding out the SEX. Gender comes later on in life when your child decides what they identify as. And nobody said its wrong to want to find out. The point was why risk your pregnancy with something invasive such as an amniocentesis when you can wait 5 weeks more to find out the sex? 

Also, the original poster ASKED our opinions on if its worth it. Its a public forum where nobody gets to dictate how others answer questions, yourself included since you didn't ask the question. You are lucky that whatever test YOU received was that cheap. Not every medical office does, let alone our insurance companies. Mine only covered about 45% of the total cost. I was offered it, declined after finding out the price I'd pay for it. The only reason I thought about having it done was because I am adopted and have zero medical history on my biological family. 

Personally, I'd suggest you climb down off your high horse, reread the TOU and play nice. Nobody said anything remotely snarky to warrant the responses you gave. 
    "Secondly, everyone gets excited about finding out the SEX. Gender comes later on in life when your child decides what they identify as." 

I could have sworn we were on a pregnancy forum, not a transgender debate forum, so aside from the fact that this is not a proven fact, is entirely debatable, and not something everyone believes, hot damn if my point didn't sail completely over your head with this one. 

"
    The point was why risk your pregnancy with something invasive such as an amniocentesis when you can wait 5 weeks more to find out the sex?"

No, the point is she was asking how much a specific genetic test runs for that will not only screen her baby for genetic defects, but also determine the gender of her baby, and weather or not  it was worth it to wait, and she gets flooded by a bunch of overly opinionated chicks telling her how terrible she is for considering the test for reasons other than being high risk. You're right, you do have a right to your opinion, and on public forums no one gets to dictate your answers. But in turn, you open yourself up to other people's opinions of your opinions. Yes, people WERE being snarky and rude, your self included. So I would suggest checking yourself before telling me to get off my high horse and play nice. 

Hi, I'm Rcloud! Nice to meet you! ;D

• @rcloud let's say they god forbid called you with the results and said the baby had a serious problem that could be life or death when all you wanted was to find out the genitals of the baby...would you start planning your "gender reveal" or ask for more invasive testing because you're scared to death? 

because unfortunately that happens to a lot of people and that is the reality of WHY the test was created. yes, the sex of the baby is a nice bonus but the majority of people get this test because of their desire for a healthy baby, whatever the sex may be. 

the test didn't work for me, twice. do you know how scary that is? thank god she is perfect. also wanna know how I found out the sex before my anatomy scan? I paid money to a boutique ultrasound place, which is how you SHOULD learn the sex. 

• RCloudRCloud member
    mrszoess said:
    @rcloud let's say they god forbid called you with the results and said the baby had a serious problem that could be life or death when all you wanted was to find out the genitals of the baby...would you start planning your "gender reveal" or ask for more invasive testing because you're scared to death? 

because unfortunately that happens to a lot of people and that is the reality of WHY the test was created. yes, the sex of the baby is a nice bonus but the majority of people get this test because of their desire for a healthy baby, whatever the sex may be. 

the test didn't work for me, twice. do you know how scary that is? thank god she is perfect. also wanna know how I found out the sex before my anatomy scan? I paid money to a boutique ultrasound place, which is how you SHOULD learn the sex. 

I seriously wasn't going to bother with this thread anymore until I saw the notification for this comment in my inbox, and just had to respond. This WILL be my final response though.

I'm not sure what exactly your point is. For one thing, if there's a serious genetic ilIness going on thats life or death, than thats going to be how it is regardless if someone gets tested or not. I would certainly hope most parents would want to know if there was something seriously wrong with their baby,  and obviously at the end of the day, that matters way more than finding out the gender. THATS what I got genetic testing for, because despite not having any reason to believe otherwise, I wanted to make sure my baby was healthy, and if he wasn't, that I was prepared to deal with the worst rather than having it be some huge surprise.  I also paid money for a private ultra sound to reveal the gender, weeks before getting the genetic testing done, because I was simply unaware the testing I was getting done would reveal gender as well. So you can stop making assumptions about what my purposes were in getting it done.  And even if I had gotten genetic testing because I wanted to know my child's gender...

I honestly don't know why you guys give a crap about what another parent chooses to do for themselves, their baby, or what they feel is worth it to spend money on. You're not them, and its not your decision, so stop with the parent shaming BS.  Fact is, the test exists for the public, and is available to anyone and everyone who wants to have it done, as it should be. Just because its more expensive in some area than others doesn't change this fact. And honestly, I have a pretty good feeling thats really what this is really about. Jealousy that some people can drop that much money on something just to reveal the gender of their baby. I think the whole concern about wasting healthcare resources is huge load and just a way to justify being a giant prick to other mothers.

You all have a lot of growing up to do.

• This thread has been closed to new posts due to the change in topic. Continuing to create threads related to this topic will be grounds for warning and/or removal from The Bump Community.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Use.

To review our Community guidelines, please visit the Bump Guidelines pinned at the top of this board. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"