December 2015 Moms

Breastfeeding advice, questions, ect

1192021222325»

Re: Breastfeeding advice, questions, ect

• Anything in my opinion! My LO was EBF for 3.5 months. Then supplemented with formula. Now we are slowing moving toward only formula. I feel like I have given her a great start with breastmilk and she will be just fine with formula in the future. 
  • mhuber223 said:
    I just got a whopping one ounce for my morning pump. I'll be leaving 9 for the day,  and MIL will supplement with formula.  It's getting less and less every day. How much breastmilk do babies need for the benefits?
    I'm pretty sure any is beneficial, I've been supplementing since day one and give her as much as I can!
  • Loading the player...
  • mhuber223 said:
    I just got a whopping one ounce for my morning pump. I'll be leaving 9 for the day,  and MIL will supplement with formula.  It's getting less and less every day. How much breastmilk do babies need for the benefits?
    In the end a fed baby is the best thing. I don't know that there's a lot of research on optimal amounts of breastmilk. 9 oz a day is pretty good, I'd say. Do you nurse at home too? Have you tried a manual pump instead of electric?
  • mhuber223 said:
    A friend of mine told me 3 oz a day of breast milk would be enough to provide baby with the benefits.  I have no idea where she got that info but I'm sure she did a lot of research on the matter.  She has a phd in statistics I believe and had preemie twins several years ago. 
  • pupsicle23pupsicle23 member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks,  all! I actually have thought about trying a manual pump.  She nurses when I get home,  too, so supply is done.  It's more that I'm noticing it steadily decrease, so DD gets about 6 oz of formula a day. She's a hungry little girl and still on the small side. 

ETA the 9oz is over about 12 hours. I get closer to 6 now.
  • DD is EBF but she gets an occasional bottle of pumped milk. When given a bottle, she drinks 4-5 oz. I'll be going back to work soon so she'll be taking at least 3 bottles of pumped milk a day. Think I remember reading somewhere that formula fed babies increase their intake but BF babies don't. Is this correct? Should I not expect to go over 5 oz. ever because at 6 months you just supplement with solids? 
    I'm just trying to determine if I'll need these bigger bottles that I was gifted at my shower. 

Or is there also a possibility that DD will drink the same amount but with more spaced out feedings so I'll still need bigger bottles? 
  • DD is EBF but she gets an occasional bottle of pumped milk. When given a bottle, she drinks 4-5 oz. I'll be going back to work soon so she'll be taking at least 3 bottles of pumped milk a day. Think I remember reading somewhere that formula fed babies increase their intake but BF babies don't. Is this correct? Should I not expect to go over 5 oz. ever because at 6 months you just supplement with solids? 
    I'm just trying to determine if I'll need these bigger bottles that I was gifted at my shower. 

Or is there also a possibility that DD will drink the same amount but with more spaced out feedings so I'll still need bigger bottles? 
    Honestly, their intake can vary even throughout the day and even just with that I think you could sometimes go over the 5 oz. When we've had to supplement DD will often take as much as 6 Oz (usually in the evening) and frequently as little as 2 Oz during the day. If you want to get by with the smaller bottles though maybe you can have some.smaller bags made up so whoever is watching her can give the smaller amount and warm more if needed.
  • My babe takes around 5oz in a bottle during the day when I'm at work. She sometimes drinks it all, sometimes not. I typically send 3 bags of 5oz and then an extra 2oz bag incase she's randomly more hungry then normal. She's only ever used the 2oz bag once and I've been back to work for a month now. I only have 5oz bottles and they work fine because we only offer 5oz at a time. If she needs more we just add it to the bottle that has been emptied.
  • Thanks for the suggestions!
  • @preggoandglowing - Kellymom has a page where you can put in some numbers and it will suggest bottle sizes. You could play around with it and get an idea. If you google something like "how much pumped milk will baby drink" it will come up. I believe the same page explains that the avg breastfed baby needs 1-1.5 oz of milk per hour. That may also help your estimations. 
  • Awesome thanks! 
  • How many times in 24hr are your LOs BF? For ebf moms :) 
  • DS eats about 6-8 times a day.  He is EBF. 
  • @laurabwalker I would estimate DD averages 10 feedings in 24hrs. About 3hrs overnight and in the morning and up to two hrs during the day.
  • Henry eats approximately 6-14 times a day. Whenever and wherever. He's a snacker lol. When I'm away he take about 1 1/2 ozs per hour. 
  • Mine only averages 5-6 times. But, she's eating every 3-4 hrs, 3 unless she's napping. And she's sleeping all night, 8:30-6ish. I think she's a little different then most 16 week babes. 
  • Okay Ellie is about 10 feeds in 24 hrs so seems pretty average :)
  • taysuntaysun member
    DD eats pretty constantly. Every hour mostly between 6 am and 8 pm. Occasionally she'll go 2-3 hours or only half an hour. 
  • Sybil is consistently eating 7-8 times in a 24 hour period. On days I work she gets 2 3-3.5 oz bottles in a 6 hour time period. She's long and skinny, but gaining fine. 

Interesting to see just how different the babies are!
  • Sybil is consistently eating 7-8 times in a 24 hour period. On days I work she gets 2 3-3.5 oz bottles in a 6 hour time period. She's long and skinny, but gaining fine. 

Interesting to see just how different the babies are!
    I know they say not to compare babies, and I get not wanting to be competitiveabout it, but I love seeing how different babies can be. 
  • Annie eats every 2-3 hours except for a long stretch in the morning. When I'm gone,  she has 3-4oz bottles, and I'm gone about 11 hours a day.  When I get home,  she basically attached herself to the boob until bed.  She's still on the small side,  but she's been gaining more since I've started to supplement. 
  • So my girl eats 2x in the morning before I leave for work, eats 4x 5oz bottles at daycare about every 2 hours, then hourly once we get home at night, usually another 3x. She sleeps about 10 hours at night without waking. She is also 90+ percentile in height, weight and head size. I think her big size and sleeping through the night makes her need a lot of food and often during the day.
  • I'm getting a hard, somewhat painful lump on my right breast. It goes away after I BF but comes back about 1-2 hours later. Could this be a plugged duct or something else? DD seems to be getting full just fine so no issues with supply. 
  • Sounds like it could be. You could try applying a warm, moist compress to the spot and massaging before nursing or pumping.
  • Make sure you are also keeping that breast empty. I've had 2 plugged ducts in the same spot and I would let Jackson nurse on that side and pump when he was done to make sure it was empty. That with the warm compresses and massages should help.
  • mrios814mrios814 member
    edited May 2016
    Warm compress
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks