June 2016 Moms
Options

VBAC check in

How are the planning-for-VBAC ladies doing?  I'm hopeful - I'm a very  good candidate in some ways - my first baby was vaginal, and the c/s was b/c my son was in distress, not something with me.  But, I also go late - 10 days for my daughter & 2 weeks with my son (interestingly, my mother had pregnancies exactly the same length).  I know they won't let me go that late for a VBAC, and they won't induce, although they will "augment."  So, if my water breaks before contractions start (like with my son), they will start pit. 

I really, really don't want another c/s.  I'm not crazy about my practice, but it's super convenient - it's in my hospital - so I've stuck with it.  They're totally fine with VBACs (two of my colleagues had them here), but they've got their standardized protocols.

I'm also a bit nervous that this baby might not cooperate with position -I feel like she flips around a lot , and is often transverse.  I know it's still very early, but I'd feel better if she were in the chute, as it were.

Re: VBAC check in

• Options
    Still planning on VBAC number two. I had a little bump with my doctor moving but had a great appointment with a new one yesterday who is just as supportive as the last was. Because I have already had one I have an even higher chance of another but I am trying no to realize that there are still risks and still chances of another c-section. I'm just counting down the days and hoping that things go as close to plan as possible. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited April 2016
    I'm good to go to try for one at this point. I'm almost 34 weeks and he is head down, and my previous section was an emergency c at 33 weeks with twins. The only thing not totally in my favor is that I have never had true labor before so I am kind of a wild card. I am assuming because of PTL last pregnancy and tons of BH this pregnancy he will probably not be late but she said she will give me til 41 to have him then we can discuss what needs to be done. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm still hoping for a successful second vbac. I had to transfer to a hospital an hour away just to have the option to try for a vbac, but I'm not ok with signing up for a csection just to stay local. My new hospital has the lowest csection rate in the state and I'm seeing a high risk team that is very supportive of vbac. I just hope this baby is also on board with the plan lol. My first was born via csection due to iugr and distress caused by an induction. My second came via vbac all by herself at 40w3d. 
  • Options
    I'm still hoping for a successful second vbac. I had to transfer to a hospital an hour away just to have the option to try for a vbac, but I'm not ok with signing up for a csection just to stay local. My new hospital has the lowest csection rate in the state and I'm seeing a high risk team that is very supportive of vbac. I just hope this baby is also on board with the plan lol. My first was born via csection due to iugr and distress caused by an induction. My second came via vbac all by herself at 40w3d. 
    I am going to a hospital that's 2 hours a way so I can even attempt one too. All the ones closer to me don't allow them. My son was delivered there and it was a great hospital. He also came on his own at 39 and 3.

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    I'm currently 50/50 for VBAC. RCS is scheduled for 40w5d, but they want me to try for a VBAC. I'm ok with either, so we will see.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    alylove11 said:
    I'm currently 50/50 for VBAC. RCS is scheduled for 40w5d, but they want me to try for a VBAC. I'm ok with either, so we will see.
    I'm ok with a section too if that's the way the cookie crumbles. Thankfully mine was such a positive experience last time so I don't have a bad taste in my mouth if it happens again. I live in Colorado which has one of the highest VBAC success rates in the country so I am hopeful as long as everything goes well with my body and baby a VBAC should go swimmingly.
  • Options
    I also have a RCS scheduled for 41weeks exactly. Hoping for a VBAC, but a little discouraged since baby is still breech. I'm only 31w3d, so there's still time. But my first section was because DD was breech, and this whole pregnancy has been so similar to my first, and the baby is in the exact same position as my daughter, that I gave this gut feeling that baby is staying put. 
    If baby is still breech at 33 weeks, I'm starting s full "turning" regime. Acupuncture (studies show most successful when done 33-36weeks), chiropractor, yoga poses, moxibustion, bag of peas on the fundus... You name it, I'll do it. 
  • Options
    Planning on my second VBAC. I had my first at home-this one will be at a hospital. I'm nervous that I'll cave and ask for meds-which increases my
    chance for a section. Having my DD at home eliminated the temptation all together but I vaguely recall during transition asking my MW to take me to the hospital so I could get drugs. Haha. 
    My last VBAC was at 41w3d. So 10 days overdue.  She was 10lbs2oz. Don't let size or your due date worry you too much. :)
  • Options
    Having my DD at home eliminated the temptation all together but I vaguely recall during transition asking my MW to take me to the hospital so I could get drugs. 
    Lol! 20 hours into my 24 hour labor I told the doctor to just cut her out already  :D  I wasn't dilating and felt like I was in pain for nothing. Turns out I had scar tissue preventing me from dilating and once they removed it I jumped from 0 to 8. 
  • Options
    Having my DD at home eliminated the temptation all together but I vaguely recall during transition asking my MW to take me to the hospital so I could get drugs. 
    Lol! 20 hours into my 24 hour labor I told the doctor to just cut her out already  :D  I wasn't dilating and felt like I was in pain for nothing. Turns out I had scar tissue preventing me from dilating and once they removed it I jumped from 0 to 8. 
    Holy! That's crazy. 0 to 8 sounds like a lot of pain. 
  • Options
    Our birth mother is wanting to have a vbac but she transferred care from one hospital to another where she delivered her daughter.  They have a lot of restrictions and I have a feeling she will end up with a C.  It will also depend a lot on which one of the docs are on call when the time comes.  We are hoping for a vbac because then my H and myself will both be able to be in the delivery room.  
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    @Love4Labs326 if it ends up being a Csection will one of you be in there? Or will she have another support person? Just nosey curiosity.
  • Options
    I'm on target for a HBAC (2nd VBAC), with baby head-down and more or less positioned well. Obviously Things Can Happen but I'm pretty optimistic at this point. Cross your fingers!
  • Options
    I'm also trying for VBAC #2. My emergency c/s with DD1 was because she had flipped breech after I went into labor (thanks, kid), and I've had one successful VBAC already, so I'm hopeful. My OB will allow me to go to 41 weeks, as long as my little guy passes NSTs/BPPs starting at 38 weeks, and will do a Foley induction if I haven't gone into labor naturally by then. That's how we started my 2nd labor, so I'm familiar with the process. Fingers crossed! 

• Options
    @Lyette1206   You can be nosey lol  I will be in the OR if she needs a C.  We talked to the doctor about it last week and he said that I can't hold the baby immediately because of sterility and the need to assess baby.  I will be able to go right with baby though and do skin to skin within 10-15 minutes or so after delivery.  They will move the baby and me out of the OR so we won't contaminate the area.  I'm not thrilled about it but at least no matter what I will be the first to see her and hold her.  I just REALLY hoped my husband could experience it too.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    @Love4Labs326 that's great that you guys are close enough that she'll have you in the OR. Sounds like my c-section - they cleaned up baby and then my husband was able to do skin to skin (although they didn't make him leave the OR). It does suck that your husband won't be there to share that amazing experience. Fingers crossed she'll have a team that will support an attempted VBAC!
  • Options
    @Bee112309 - what crummy luck with number 1!  And that must have been awfully uncomfortable - having a baby flip during contractions!

@courtjack - I'm not worried about size/dates myself, but this practice is extremely protocol driven (ugh), so I'm not sure they'll give me a lot of flexibility.  I do feel like this baby will not be as big as my c/s son - 9 lb 15 oz, but who knows.  On the two early u/s, she measured a couple days behind, for what it's worth. 

They will let me attempt labor so long as there's not a medical contraindication - mainly breech, I suppose.  It's more the dates.  Stupid me, I should have fudged my dates a bit... oh well. 

I hadn't thought about a foley induction - that may be an option.  Not using cytotec is reasonable - I understand the risk.  The bummer for me is that with my first two I didn't efface or dilate even a smidge until well into labor.  Sigh.  Fingers crossed for everyone!
  • Options
    I'm planning on a VBAC. My doctor said I would a good candidate because we tried to induce when clearly my body was not ready. 

After 2 failed inductions I ended up with a c/s with DD because my doctor had broken my water. She only gave me 5 hours to try to progress from there and of course that's pretty unreasonable. 

Mathis time around I found a doctor that basically thinks like a midwife. He's very hands off and hasn't once mentioned an induction or a c section. I feel really confident that if I let my body do its thing on its own time that it will work out for me. 

2 angel babies to watch over us- bfp 3/16/13, c/p 3/27/13- bfp 6/27/13, c/p confirmed 7/4/13- We will always carry you in our hearts

Mommy to our princess warrior- 3/4/09

• Options
    I'm still planning for a VBAC and my ob is supportive of that.  At my next appt I'll ask about a time frame.  I didn't really think about them not letting me go late.  My first was overdue by like 4 days I think, second was a c-sec due to her being breech.  Looking back now, I wish I had tried a breech vaginal (her head was much smaller than her sisters and that was my biggest concern) since it was offered.  But, it is what it is.  
    Since my previa cleared up on it's own I'm all good to go this time around. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I am still planning for VBAC. However I am terrified and I am not sure why because according to the surgeon, I am a perfect candidate. Apparently with my first, I sort of gave birth both ways! His head was literally just too big! So c section was required after two hours of pushing and failed attempt at the vacuum. They had to go as far as reach their hand down and pull my DS out of my cervix which caused the rip on my cervix. It has been six years since my son was born so I feel completely anxious about what to expect but I am sure when the day comes, it will all work out! I am working with a great group of midwives who have a great VBAC succession rate, so I think that also helps. 

Good luck to all of us! 
  • Options
    Still planning a VBAC. So far baby girl is head down... But I'm just nervous on whether she will end up being sunny side up or not. That was the reason I had a csection in the first place. My son was sunny side up and wasn't able to descend into the birth canal. Positive thoughts... Well, I've tried not to think about it at all.. I'm trying not to stress myself out over things I can't change. 
  • Options
    BLM10BLM10 member
    Planning to VBAC with RCS scheduled at 41&4 just in case. My practice will not use Pit at all and getting to 42 would be automatic CS. 
  • Options
    jennk0118 said:
    Still planning a VBAC. So far baby girl is head down... But I'm just nervous on whether she will end up being sunny side up or not. That was the reason I had a csection in the first place. My son was sunny side up and wasn't able to descend into the birth canal. Positive thoughts... Well, I've tried not to think about it at all.. I'm trying not to stress myself out over things I can't change. 
    I'm pretty sure this one is sunny side up too. I need to remember to ask about that at my next appt,
  • Options
    At my appointment today I was asking what point they would want to schedule a csection if he doesn't come on his own. I was totally shocked to learn that my doctors are comfortable inducing (with super close supervision). I don't want to attempt it because of how my first responded to being induced. I was just surprised they offer it. Any one else given this option? 
  • Options
    My doc says inducing is an option ONLY if there's a medical reason to do so (I'm high risk this go around). But he's clear that he's supporting spontaneous labour and it would have to be something serious for us to change our course of action. He said he's not a fan of induction especially given my precious history of a c-section. But he says I look good to go ahead with another VBAC. Hurrah!
  • Options
    At my appointment today I was asking what point they would want to schedule a csection if he doesn't come on his own. I was totally shocked to learn that my doctors are comfortable inducing (with super close supervision). I don't want to attempt it because of how my first responded to being induced. I was just surprised they offer it. Any one else given this option? 
    I was induced for my previous VBAC. They let me go to 41 weeks, then started with a med-free Foley induction. That got me up to 3-4cm dilated. I was then started on the lowest possible dose of pitocin and monitored VERY closely at all times. They did increase my dose here and there, but my overall amount stayed very small, just enough to get contractions going. Once I was contracting regularly and they could break my water, they did that and turned the pitocin off. I had a successful vaginal delivery (although it was a loooong labor). I have the same plan for this time: hoping to go into labor naturally this time, but if not, I'll be induced at 41 weeks again. 

• Options
    My OB says she feels comfortable inducing me at 41 weeks if my body is showing signs of progression (somewhat dilated, etc). If I get to 41 weeks and there's no signs of body starting to get ready she won't induce (have a feeling it has to do with the level of drugs required, or something like that). 

BUT, baby is still breech. Two breech babies. Are you kidding me?!?! So now I'm stepping up my "baby spinning" game plan. Feeling a little discouraged since I did this all the first time and nothing worked. Can't help but feel like history will repeat itself. 
  • Options
    The issue with induction is cytotec, which is used to "ripen" the cervix.  It's not generally advised to use in VBACs as it increases the risk of rupture.  So most practices will "augment" with pitocin or rupturing membranes if the cervix is already favorable, or labor has started, and a foley balloon induction is likewise generally considered a safe way to get dilation going.  
  • Options
    Rosehip15 said:
    The issue with induction is cytotec, which is used to "ripen" the cervix.  It's not generally advised to use in VBACs as it increases the risk of rupture.  So most practices will "augment" with pitocin or rupturing membranes if the cervix is already favorable, or labor has started, and a foley balloon induction is likewise generally considered a safe way to get dilation going.  
    Yeah, cytotec was not permitted for my induced VBAC. The Foley worked great, though, and was virtually painless.

• Options
    Baby girl is still head down... But her butt is on the right side and the feet are on the left. It seems to be fine so far. Just getting anxious. I had my 34 week appointment on Tuesday and everything is going good. Measuring right on track.. My son was always measuring bigger. I'm praying for a smaller baby. I've only technically gain 7lbs.. So that helps in my favor of a VBAC, so I was told. In 2 weeks, I'll have the Group B test and see if I have any cervical changes. 
  • Options
    Tawny87Tawny87 member
    36 week appt today went well, baby is head down and I guess the contractions have been doing something because she said I was 1-2 cm dilated. At this point we are all set for VBAC.
  • Options
    My midwife says my baby's head is down, but I swear I have two huge hard lumps in my upper abdomen with this kid, so I don't know if that's butt and feet or what. They shift around pretty regularly so I have no idea what's going on, but hopefully s/he stays more or less in position, because it's stressing me out.
  • Options
    Very sad as my hopes for a VBAC are slowly fading. Baby is still breech (almost 35 weeks). Since my first was breech as well, we talked at my last prenatal appointment about how it could be that something about my anatomy is promoting/causing this. I know "there's still time" for baby to turn, but basically we're running out. On May 30th I have an ultrasound to confirm baby's position, and if it's still breech, they'll schedule a Csection. 
    Sending positive vibes to all of you who are gearing up to give it a try!! Still trying to hold on to hope that I'll be able to as well!
  • Options
    Tawny87Tawny87 member
    Very sad as my hopes for a VBAC are slowly fading. Baby is still breech (almost 35 weeks). Since my first was breech as well, we talked at my last prenatal appointment about how it could be that something about my anatomy is promoting/causing this. I know "there's still time" for baby to turn, but basically we're running out. On May 30th I have an ultrasound to confirm baby's position, and if it's still breech, they'll schedule a Csection. 
    Sending positive vibes to all of you who are gearing up to give it a try!! Still trying to hold on to hope that I'll be able to as well!
    Hope it all works out for you!
  • Options
    What about an external version?  One of the women in my office just had that & then a successful vaginal delivery.  Fingers crossed - it ain't over 'til it's over.
  • Options
    @Rosehip15 I've been told that the majority of OBs in my area won't attempt an external version on someone who's had a Csection before (due to stress on uterus/increased risk of rupture). My midwife says we can discuss it depending on who will be doing the surgery, but the few who will consider it have a set of requirements that must be met. 
    I had the version with my daughter, it didn't work (she turned 1/4 way and then her heartbeat dipped drastically and they had to get her out fast). It was pretty dramatic and stressful. I'm not sure I'd choose to do it again if given the choice. 
  • Options
     Well, had my last u/s today to check LO's position and she's head down! But my OB mentioned that I don't have a lot of fluid, she said it still looked ok, but there wasn't a "ton" so hopefully that doesn't cause any problems in a few weeks when this girl decides to make her appearance.  I'm still hopeful for a vbac.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Tawny87Tawny87 member
    Well my ob scheduled my induction for June 10th, if he hasn't arrived on his own before then. I will be 40+4 and he is head down. I really need him out before though, hubby leaves on a business trip the 19th : (
  • Options
    I'm likely getting a date for my repeat section next week. One last ultrasound to confirm baby is still breech on Monday... And then off to the OR we go. Pretty bummed that I won't get to try for a VBAC, but coming to terms with the fact that apparently my body just makes breech babies. 
  • Options
    I had hoped for a VBAC but due to mild preeclampsia I had a RCS at 38+4. The recovery has been amazing. So much better than with my first. I was only in pain meds for 4 days and I basically feel normal a week later. That being said, the actual surgery was MUCH more intense (emotionally) than I had imagined. I'm just grateful for a super easy recovery. Also, I have a 23 month old and was super nervous about not being able to pick him up. Everyone told me it would be ok but I had my doubts, he's a mama's boy. We've actually done amazing well! So all in all, I would say the RCS was a success.