June 2016 Moms

VBAC check in

2»

Re: VBAC check in

• @TunieBee  I'm so glad to hear that you've had an easier time with your recovery! I'm having a bad day where people keep bringing things up and reminding me of all the things that stressed/freaked me out about my Csection the first time and I was started to get bummed. So glad to hear that it was easier on you the second time. 
    Any advice on how to cope with the stress during? I'm worried my anxiety will get the best of me and would love if you could share some wisdom!
  • @Lyette1206 I wish I had some words of advice on how to manage the anxiety, but I really don't. I was so anxious throughout the surgery until the baby came out. I was able to do skin to skin for the entire rest of the procedure and that is the only thing that calmed me. It's just so disconcerting to be wide awake and while you're being operated on. I was anxious I would feel it (I didn't).  Also, I just felt helpless and passive in the delivery of my baby which was such an odd feeling. All in all though, I felt like these were normal feelings. Maybe take comfort in the fact that it's a controlled environment and rest assured the outcome will be a good one and your baby will be in your arms shortly. The recovery has been incredible. Honestly, I think my recovery has been better than many of my friend's vag births. Good luck if you have to get a repeat CS. I had really hoped for a VBAC but have been so pleased and surprised with my experience this time despite the anxiety during the surgery. 

• Loading the player...
  • Well, tick tock ladies. 
    How's everyone doing?  I'm now 39/1.  Not much doing for me.  My cervix is a "loose 1 cm" and still long.  My OB swept my membranes this morning.  The practice is not excited about having VBACs go late, but my doc is a bit more flexible, and this baby does not seem to be big, so I'm good until at least 40/3, which is my next appt. 

I'd obviously love to get the show on the road, but we're also buying a house/moving in the next month, so as much packing as I can get done now is a good thing too...
  • I'm 38+5. I was 2cm at my last appointment, but who knows what that'll ultimately mean. They'll let me go to 41 weeks before inducing. I am really, really hoping to avoid that this time (my first VBAC was induced, and while it was successful, it was LONG).

• My midwife at Kaiser has been super supportive this whole time and is all for my TOLAC. She checked me last week at 38+1 and I was 3cm, 80% effaced. She stripped my membranes but no luck.
    Unfortunately, Kaiser makes you see an OB every 4th or so visit and my OB is the same one that did my csection the first time. She's not too keen on my TOLAC and wanted to do growth measurements at 36 weeks (which I declined) and then schedule me for an RCS at 39 weeks. I have to see her for my 40 week appointment next Monday and am honestly dreading it. I DON'T want to do a medical induction with Pit or any other drug, so I'm hoping I can convince her to try the membrane sweep again and then wait until I'm in the 41st week to talk induction. My midwife thinks I'm an excellent candidate, despite the high probability this baby will be huge (DD was 10lbs 3oz), and it's very disheartening to have to fight the OB tooth and nail.
    DH + Me 12/2011
    DD 3/2012
    Baby on the way June 2016 :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was induced June 10th at approx 9:30 am at 1 cm and approx 20% effacement. I was on a pitocin drip all day until about 5 when we had some decels. They were able to get his heart rate stabilized again and I was about to pull the plug and decide to do the section but the dr said she wasn't concerned at this point and turned the pitocin down and inserted the foley bulb. I had received my epidural around 3 pm and was feeling relatively good. When they checked my cervix around 7 or so I was 2 cm and 50% effaced. In the 8 o'clock hour he had another decel and I told my nurse that if he had another I wanted to head straight back for a section. They were able to get him to recover from his second decel but not even 4 minutes later his heart rate dropped into the low 60's and I was rushed on my hands and knees into the operating room for an emergency c. I was given my spinal, which worked a little too well because I couldn't move anything from the shoulders down and he was delivered with his cord wrapped around his neck at 8:44 pm. He did just fine from the second they got him out. My blood pressure dropped to 60/37 and I had a rough go of it for several hours recovering but I'm glad that I pulled the plug on my TOLAC when I did. I'm happy with my section and I guess I'm a mom who likes to give birth in a dramatic fashion( last section was emergency with twins heart rates in the 50's.)
  • Tawny87 said:
    I was induced June 10th at approx 9:30 am at 1 cm and approx 20% effacement. I was on a pitocin drip all day until about 5 when we had some decels. They were able to get his heart rate stabilized again and I was about to pull the plug and decide to do the section but the dr said she wasn't concerned at this point and turned the pitocin down and inserted the foley bulb. I had received my epidural around 3 pm and was feeling relatively good. When they checked my cervix around 7 or so I was 2 cm and 50% effaced. In the 8 o'clock hour he had another decel and I told my nurse that if he had another I wanted to head straight back for a section. They were able to get him to recover from his second decel but not even 4 minutes later his heart rate dropped into the low 60's and I was rushed on my hands and knees into the operating room for an emergency c. I was given my spinal, which worked a little too well because I couldn't move anything from the shoulders down and he was delivered with his cord wrapped around his neck at 8:44 pm. He did just fine from the second they got him out. My blood pressure dropped to 60/37 and I had a rough go of it for several hours recovering but I'm glad that I pulled the plug on my TOLAC when I did. I'm happy with my section and I guess I'm a mom who likes to give birth in a dramatic fashion( last section was emergency with twins heart rates in the 50's.)
    Glad it all ended well & safely!  Congratulations mamma!
    Tawny87
  • Rosehip15 said:
    Tawny87 said:
    I was induced June 10th at approx 9:30 am at 1 cm and approx 20% effacement. I was on a pitocin drip all day until about 5 when we had some decels. They were able to get his heart rate stabilized again and I was about to pull the plug and decide to do the section but the dr said she wasn't concerned at this point and turned the pitocin down and inserted the foley bulb. I had received my epidural around 3 pm and was feeling relatively good. When they checked my cervix around 7 or so I was 2 cm and 50% effaced. In the 8 o'clock hour he had another decel and I told my nurse that if he had another I wanted to head straight back for a section. They were able to get him to recover from his second decel but not even 4 minutes later his heart rate dropped into the low 60's and I was rushed on my hands and knees into the operating room for an emergency c. I was given my spinal, which worked a little too well because I couldn't move anything from the shoulders down and he was delivered with his cord wrapped around his neck at 8:44 pm. He did just fine from the second they got him out. My blood pressure dropped to 60/37 and I had a rough go of it for several hours recovering but I'm glad that I pulled the plug on my TOLAC when I did. I'm happy with my section and I guess I'm a mom who likes to give birth in a dramatic fashion( last section was emergency with twins heart rates in the 50's.)
    Glad it all ended well & safely!  Congratulations mamma!
    Thank you!!!
  • Hi ladies - recovering from my successful VBAC here!  I went to the OB Tuesday morning, which was 39/1.  Given that I was still 1 cm, and my Hx of late babies, she did a membrane sweep in the hopes it might kick start things.  I was super crampy for the rest of the day at work, and by 9 o'clock that night, I was definitely having contractions - very irregular, but surprisingly intense.  DH & I stayed home from work Wednesday - I was really hoping it was the real deal.  By 3 pm, the contractions were getting very painful, though still irregular and pretty spread out (7-15 min apart).  Though I figured I probably wasn't very dilated, the thought of having to deal with the car ride to the hospital when things were any worse spooked me, so off I went.  Indeed, I was only 3 cm when I got there.  They suggested I either walk the halls or go home - L&D rooms were all full, so I couldn't be admitted.  I stayed & walked the halls of triage.  By 6:30 pm, I was only 4 cm, but in serious pain.  This is my third baby, and this early labor was MUCH tougher - I didn't have an epidural at this point with number one, and never got an epidural with number two (until my crash c/s after 45 minutes of pushing).  But I couldn't get an epidural until I was admitted into L&D, which meant waiting for a room.  That finally happened about 8:30.  By that point, it had been nearly 24 hours of these painful, but not particularly productive ctx, and I was exhausted and really needed the epidural - and thankfully, it worked really well, unlike my first one.

By 9:30, I was still 4 cm.  I started to dread that I'd end up w/a c/s.  It seemed like I was going nowhere fast.  They planned to break my water at midnight, after I'd had 4 hours of abx for GBS.  But a little after 11, my water broke - they checked me & I was 8 cm:)  An hour later, the nurse thought I looked ready (I had asked for a top off on the epidural, and boy did it work - I couldn't feel a thing).  The doctor checked me and I was complete.  They had me do one "test push" and said - stop, hold on.  That single push got her crowning, so they gowned up and I pushed her out with the next two contractions!  Anna came out a perfect 7lb 7oz, I had a tiny little skid mark, and feel amazing.  What a huge difference from my first two deliveries which were really tough.  I feel so good that I've asked for early discharge, now just waiting to see if the pediatrician clears her!  With my previous two, I felt like I'd been run over by a monster truck, and would have happily stayed in the hospital for a month if they'd let me!!

I'm SO happy I went for a VBAC.  Other than the weird, painful early labor, it was an easy, dream delivery that I never thought I'd have.  Maybe those early ctx got my pelvis opened up?  Who knows?  In any event, good luck to those still waiting! 

taralynnosullivanTawny87mmclark10
  • That gives me so much hope! I had a membrane sweep at 38+1 that did nothing, so I'm going to ask for another at my upcoming 40 week appt on Monday in hopes that it gets things moving along on their own. My biggest fear is having to have an induction, leading to the cascade of interventions and ultimately ending in a c/s.
    DH + Me 12/2011
    DD 3/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Due today!!! Went to OB and had membrane sweep #2. Have an NST scheduled for 41 weeks next Monday, then she'll want to talk induction in that week. My options are AROM or altered pitocin protocol (at my request, 1 every 30 instead of 2 every 20). Still researching best options there, since both have their drawbacks. Anyone have experience with AROM versus pitocin? I ended up with a CS with my first pit experience, but rupturing the membranes scares me because it can't be undone and if it doesn't work I'll end up on pit anyway or with an RCS. I've been trying all the natural methods I can get my hands on that aren't homeopathy (cohosh is scary to me). Maybe I should increase my dosage of EPO?
    DH + Me 12/2011
    DD 3/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Due today!!! Went to OB and had membrane sweep #2. Have an NST scheduled for 41 weeks next Monday, then she'll want to talk induction in that week. My options are AROM or altered pitocin protocol (at my request, 1 every 30 instead of 2 every 20). Still researching best options there, since both have their drawbacks. Anyone have experience with AROM versus pitocin? I ended up with a CS with my first pit experience, but rupturing the membranes scares me because it can't be undone and if it doesn't work I'll end up on pit anyway or with an RCS. I've been trying all the natural methods I can get my hands on that aren't homeopathy (cohosh is scary to me). Maybe I should increase my dosage of EPO?
    With DD2's VBAC, I went with a Foley catheter induction to get me up to 3 cm, and then low doses of Pitocin. I didn't want to go the AROM route because then I'd be on a timer as to how long they'd let me go without having a c-section. It did take me a long time to progress on the low dosage Pit, but it worked, and I was able to deliver vaginally.

taralynnosullivan