November 2016 Moms
Options

GTKY: What did you study in college?

Re: GTKY: What did you study in college?

• Options
    I have a BA in English and Geography. I thought I wanted to go into teaching. While I was doing my undergrad I started planning events for a department on campus. I was offered a full time job after graduation in planning corporate events. 

After a few years in corporate events I ended up going back to school for wedding coordination and design with the plan to start a business. I've had my own wedding and event planning business for 5 years.

I think my degree was still somewhat useful even if I don't directly use it every day.
  • Options
    My BS is in Music Education and my MA is in Music Composition. Right now I'm a SAHM, but I think I'll start teaching again sometime in the next year or so. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Civil Engineering and I'm a SAHM with part time work in promotions. So no. Not anymore. womp womp
     TinyAlligator born @ 36w, 3lb2oz, IUGR 
      BabyFlamingo due 11/30/16  

• Options
    I have a BS in communication disorders and doctorate in audiology.  I use them as I continue on in my PhD program : )
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
                                        motheringcarolinegrace.wordpress.com

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have a degree in Speech Communication.  I used it when I was a special ed teacher for Autistic young adults, but now I run an auto repair shop with my husband so the communication side definitely helps with the business aspect of things, but I had to learn a whole lot in order to run this place. 

• Options
    BS in finance, minor in accounting.  Went straight from my undergrad to get my MBA. 
    I definitely use my degrees every day.  
    Married July 2015
    Me: 26 DH:27
    Due: 11/6/2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I graduated with a bachelor's in mass communication. So I do everything from advertising and pr to photography and videography. 

Currently I'm unemployed but I used to do photography and management for a grooming salon. 
    Grayson Matthew Due 11/4/16
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I have a BS in physical education and a MSED in health education. 

I definitely do not use my education which makes my parents sad, but I've come to terms with it. I build interstate/highway bridges now and I love it. Don't know what I'll do when my body can't do the physical work that we do.
  • Options
    Dual Associates degrees in Culinary Arts and Baking and pastry arts.  Im still cooking professionally.  So I guess im using my education.  Even though I think OTJ experience has been much more valuable.  
    Married Nov. 3rd, 2012
    DS Born 12/20/13
    #2 EDD 11/20/2016
  • Options
    Bachelors in psychology and masters in speech language pathology ! I am a speech therapist so use both degrees :) 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Options
    My undergrad was aerospace engineering and my masters was an MBA. I'm an engineering manager, so I definitely use both.

Shout out to all the engineers on the board!
  • Options
    Undergrad: double major: BA in French & International Trade and BA in German.

Grad: MAT in Elementary Education.

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• Options
    General Engineering with a concentration in chemistry.

currently a SAHW, so nope, not using the degree!
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Options
    whaat said:
    kristah2 said:
    I have a bachelor of recreation with a minor in psychology and I work in insurance. 
    What is a bachelor of recreation? Sounds.. relaxing.
    It's basically a hybrid of physical education and kinesiology but a major focus on community development. So outreach, non for profit organizations, community centre program development, child development and program planning  etc. 
    I LOVE it! My dream job would be a job with the city promoting community programs and shaping children or running an outreach program. 
  • Options
    I have a BS in Psychology. I am currently an office manager for an IT company. Thankfully my minor was in Business. 
  • Options
    I earned my dual BA in Art History and Classical Civilizations and my MA and PhD in Art History. I'm now a professor so I definitely use my degree everyday. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hell yeah to all my fellow engineering ladies!  

@whaat Your story sounds very similar to my sister's.  She started out in art school, transferred to another art school, then left art school all together and bounced around a bit until she fell in love with psychology.  Now she's going for her PhD.  Her main focus is in cognitive aging, so she gets to talk to a lot of really interesting old people.  I laugh because she always called me the nerd (I'm an engineer) and she was the "free spirit" in the family, but now she's a total science nerd too.  :)
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    I got my B.S. in mathematics, but went on to get my M.D. Don't use my bachelor's, but my MD sure comes in handy lol. I'm a resident physician specializing in psychiatry. 
  • Options
    Mechanical engineering here.  I've been considering getting my MBA for a few years. My company pays for a portion of the tuition, so it would be silly not to do it. 

I work in construction management.  I use the degree a little when problems in the design come up, but it's really more the problem solving mindset that I use the most. The MBA would help with the profit plans and budget management I already do.
    Me: 32 DH: 37
    BFP: 2/25/16; DD: 11/6/16

Nov16 Siggy Challenge: 

• Options
    @earichar23 I want to be a professor soooooo bad. I'm jealous! 
  • Options
    I have a degree in Design & Publishing. I work as a logistics manager and I don't use even an iota of my degree.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you went to college, what did you study there?
    Psychology

Do you use your degree in your current job?

i do. I teach special Ed at an elementary school. I have primarily children with autism grades 3-5. 
  • Options
    I have a BA in anthropology (focus on physical) was 1 lab short of a chemistry minor but didn't want to delay graduation to complete that.  I also did all the pre-med requirements.  I wanted to be a forensic pathologist.  I bailed on med school & regret it.

I think what I have learned helps me to some extent in my job in clinical research.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I majored in economics in college (BA) and then went to medical school (MD).
    Now I'm a general surgeon. 

Still very interested in economic theory (esp microeconomics & strategic analysis), but it's definitely not used on a day-to-day basis professionally. 
  • Options
    @sugar9277 - totally agree. If I hadn't done engineering I definitely would have done economics. So interesting. 

@UTAmbs11 - you should definitely go for the mba if your employer pays. A lot of universities have evening/weekend programs. The combination of engineering bs + mba has definitely helped me move up. 
  • Options
    Chemistry for my Bachelors and Biophysics for my PhD. I used the biophysics a lot in my first job, but it has slowly moved over to Biochemistry (which I prefer). I may join a start up where I will be doing lots of Biophysics just because there is no one else to do it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Started with engineering, but moved on to economics and statistics. I'm an automotive industry analyst, so I use a lot of the general skills from those, but not really all the specific techniques.
  • Options
    Got my BA in Healthcare Communication with a minor in interdisciplinary health studies.

I'm currently a Network Sys Admin. I guess you could say I use aspects of comm just in general speaking to people. But that's a stretch.
    Me: 30 DH:31 DD:3
    3/6/16 BFP 
    EDD: 11/14/16

• Options
    I got my BS in Criminology & Criminal Justice but I'm a real estate agent sooo nope! Don't use it!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Georgia 3/15/2012 Matilda 6/12/2014 TWINS!! Babies 3&4 EDD 11/22/2016
  • Options
    I got my Bachelors in Accounting and I work as a Staff Accountant... Although I've learned way more at my job than I ever learned in classes!
    Married 3/24/12
    #1 Born 6/14/13
    #2 Due 11/1/16

• Options
     I got my Masters in physician assistant studies and I am now a PA in interventional radiology :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    een23een23 member
    I have a BS in Horticulture. I was a general manager of a restaurant after college but I am now a SAHM. Apart from my internships and helping my mom with her landscaping, I don't use my degree. My DH is going back to school for his teaching license so I might be able to get some seasonal work when he's home with the kids in the summer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Did my PhD in biochemistry. My education helped me land my job in finance (they recruit from certain schools) but plenty of coworkers don't have an advanced degree. 
  • Options
    I originally went for animal sciences with an equine option and a minor in agricultural business. I originally went to be a vet but realized it wasn't for me, but I still finished the undergrad with the idea of becoming a "horse trainer or something". I did a few internships and tried to strike out on my own but I'm terrible at promoting myself, I never felt like I'd get ahead, and horse training is not family friendly- no benefits, long hours, high risk of getting hurt, etc etc. 

So now I'm a nursing student graduating next month! I will go back for my BSN a while after baby's here, probably in a year or so. I would love to make my way into NICU or some sort of reproductive health, maybe be a CNM someday. I don't use my ANS degree and just sold my horse, but at least it made my nursing one a little easier. 
  • Options
    I studied music business in undergrad with voice as my primary instrument. I pretty much never use this degree other than occasionally singing at church! I have a double masters in urban ministries and christian education as well. I use these every day since I work in a church setting as the director of community development and adult spiritual education!
    Married since Jan 2013
    Sweet DD born at 41 weeks Feb 2015
    *Diagnosed with lean PCOS*
    TWINS due 11/22/2016

• Options
    Undergrad in philosophy and law degree. I am an attorney so I use my law degree. My philosophy degree helped train me to use critical thinking and reasoning, so I suppose I do use both degrees.(And people thought philosophy was useless, ha!)  ;)
  • Options
    I have my Bachelor's in Social Work...and Master's in Social Work. Definitely use my degrees everyday because I'm a social worker in a hospital. I do lots of discharge planning and clinical stuff so have picked up a lot of nursing knowledge the past 7 years. 
  • Options
    My Bachelor's is in History and my Master's is in Higher Education Leadership and Administration. I'm a director of a financial aid department at a college so I do use my master's.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers