February 2016 Moms

Health and fitness check-in 4/14

katieashley13katieashley13 member
edited April 2016 in February 2016 Moms
Morning ladies! How did we do this week? Take some time to share about your progress. Did you accomplish your weekly goal? What challenges did you face? Any specific goals you have for this coming week? Don't forget to share about something yummy and healthy you ate!

I did accomplish my goal of exercising three times last week. I didn't get to go on walks because od the weather So instead, I dusted off some of my workout DVDs. I did a 20 minute workout twice and half of the 40 minute strength training video. My main challenges this week were 1) I'm still struggling to eat well. I will do good for breakfast and lunch but then afternoon/dinner time rolls around and I'm starving! So I'll eat chips before dinner and some ice cream after. 2) My LO wasn't feeling too hot this week. The past two days, I haven't been able to put her down for more than 5-10 minutes. I could've done something active after H got home, but I just didn't feel like it. 

This week, my goals are to do things to address the challenges I just mentioned. I plan on buying healthier snacking options at the grocery store and carving out time each day to exercise (as long as LO allows

My healthy meal this week has been breakfast! See photo above. 1 serving steel cut oats, 1 banana, 1 dollop of peanut butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon! Yum! And it keeps me full til lunch!

This weeks challenge: snap a pic of your favorite workout equipment this week: favorite sneakers, machine at the gym, or even your fave dvd. I can't wait to hear from you!

Re: Health and fitness check-in 4/14

• My kale smoothie. (Kale, banana, almond milk, and powdered peanut butter). It's delicious even DD loves it. I've also been eating salads for lunch, a veggie soup(homemade) for dinner, 2 cups of green tea, and drinking at least 100oz of water a day.

I too struggle with the snacks. I have larabars and fruit but it's so easy to have what DD or DH is having. I'm also not loving this weather. Can't go out and walk with the kids, and little man does not like to be put down for more than 10min.  I try to a least do some squats and light weights when I can but no time for a video.

I did reach my goal of going to hot yoga and earned my free mat! I hope to continue to go 3 times a week....but it's starting to get busy at the farm which means DH will be working more.

I'm frustrated that I've been doing all of this for a month and haven't seen any results. I do feel stronger but I'd like to be able to see some physical changes too

• this was my favorite meal we had this week, Chipotle Orange glazed pork chops. 

I started weight watchers and C25K this week. I have done both programs before, having some success with weight watchers and great success with C25K previously. I'm having fun with both this time :-)

My only complaint right now is allergies. I never noticed having them before, but I do remember always getting sick when starting working out outside. I guess I would get sick and just stop working out. I started taking claritin today, hopefully it helps.
    I am 27, DH is 26.
    We have been married since September 28, 2013.
    We had our first child, Zoey, February 7, 2016.

images 300168
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't accomplish my goals last week since I'm still hacking up a lung just going up the stairs. This week, my goal is to finally get over this cough and get one run in. That's it. I did decide to do the Army 10 Miler in October so I'm going to start training for that soon. I haven't run anything longer than a 5K,so this well be interesting! 

Since I've been sick, my taste buds are all out of whack and I've been craving plain hot water. I added some lemon to this cup for some detoxification. 

This week was a struggle because we're visiting our families so we're eating or way through our delicious home towns
  • We've managed to walk every day except yesterday, since we had some window screens installed and needed to hang around the house for the handyman.  Our goal was 30 min of walking daily, and we've easily beat that. We're walking more like 60 min+. I'm happy with that.

Got some disappointing news from the midwife. I have diastasis recti. She recommends sticking to walking until that has gone away. She did say power walking is OK and will probably help strengthen my pelvic floor. So my goal for the next month is to walk 30 min+ a day but to increase the pace. I also need to throw in some low impact exercises (mainly kegals) to get the pelvic floor muscles stronger. We'll reevaluate after a month. Hopefully by that time I can run again!!

The only food pic I snapped was of carrot tahini muffins. Um. Not the healthiest, but otherwise it probably would've been ice cream or candy bars. So it still counts? 

• @baya5 yum! Loving the green smoothie!!

@kirkie928 I used the C25k app before I got pregnant and loved it! I'm also hoping to get back into that someday soon. I'm also struggling with allergies. Hopefully we'll both get some relief soon! 

@mommaz1 I hope you're feeling better! Being sick throws off everything. And I totally get the struggle of eating well while visiting family. Nearly impossible!

@=caenis= Um totally counts! And they look amazing!

I also downloaded the My Fitness Pal app to help me stay on track. I'm not going to be a slave to the calorie count, but it definitely helps me have better portion control and more accountability for my snack!
  • @katieashley13 I love My Fitness Pal - I've been tracking for 62 days straight :smiley:  I also like that it syncs to my fitbit. The fitbit challenges are awesome motivational tools! 
  • Hi there- I'm a frequent lurker but haven't posted in several months...hope it's cool if I join in :)

DD is 9 weeks and with the nice weather we've been having over the past week or so I've been trying to get out and go on more walks. I bought the new Jillian Michaels postpartum workout DVD but have only done one 20-min. workout, so my goal this week is to get going on a more regular workout schedule.

Eating-wise, I started back with Weight Watchers a few weeks ago and that's been going pretty well. I love WW and lost around 60 lbs on it before getting pregnant- I highly recommend it to anyone struggling to gain control of food choices or portion control. No particular food goals for the week, but still struggling a bit to make healthy choices for my extra caloric intake...I'm finding myself using the "Hey, I'm breastfeeding and need for extra calories!" excuse a little too frequently when pulling up to the drive-thru window...

Hope you all have a great week!

• @Laura88821 welcome! I use that same excuse a few too many times too. Just used it on Monday when LO and I were wandering the mall while we're having work done on our house. I "deserved" the Chick Fil A meal and lemonade!