December 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding advice, questions, ect

Re: Breastfeeding advice, questions, ect

• Options
    @breezypip I highly doubt your LO needs 25 oz in 10 hours. That's so much. The general rule is 1 to 1.5 oz per hour. Formula needs increase as babies get older, but breast milk needs do not. 
  • Options
    @breezypip I highly doubt your LO needs 25 oz in 10 hours. That's so much. The general rule is 1 to 1.5 oz per hour. Formula needs increase as babies get older, but breast milk needs do not. 
    This. It's confusing me because generally babies that are breast fed are eating 25 oz in a day. On average between 19-30 oz a day depending on the baby. I'd give this article on kellymom a look. Maybe even print it out and send it with your LO. 
    https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    breezypip said:
    My pediatrician is on vacation, but a doctor in her practice said it was fine to try 5oz bottles to see if she tolerates them. When I raised a concern about feeding her 25 oz in 10 hours they seemed confused as to why I would take issue with it, as long as DD is tolerating it. I'm no expert, but from my internet sleuthing I just don't think that's right. I guess I'll try sending the bigger bottles, one being formula now since I can't possibly pump that much, and see how she does. Sigh... Is there ever going to be a time when feeding my child isn't stressful?
    It shouldnt be stressful, honestly just feed your baby whatever it wants, if she's taking that much she obviously needs it. It's fairly simple they get hungry, we feed them. I think we as moms stress out way to much over things. I myself stressed from day one but have let it go and feed her what she wants.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I called the pediatrician back to double check and they are saying that at her age, 3 months, she can not be overfed, even by the bottle. That is contrary to what I've read, and told them that, but they were firm. They said try the 5 oz bottles and see if she takes them, and if she does its fine. 

@kdoak2015 you're right, it shouldn't be stressful. I'm trying to let go a little. I had such a struggle BFing at the beginning and now that I've finally hit my stride I've got to worry about pumping enough. I always said if I have to supplement its FINE! But for some reason it's bothering me a little. But really I know it's fine. Even if I end up having to EFF at some point, it's fine. As long as she's being fed enough and not too much I'm happy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    breezypip said:
    Thanks everyone. I called the pediatrician back to double check and they are saying that at her age, 3 months, she can not be overfed, even by the bottle. That is contrary to what I've read, and told them that, but they were firm. They said try the 5 oz bottles and see if she takes them, and if she does its fine. 

@kdoak2015 you're right, it shouldn't be stressful. I'm trying to let go a little. I had such a struggle BFing at the beginning and now that I've finally hit my stride I've got to worry about pumping enough. I always said if I have to supplement its FINE! But for some reason it's bothering me a little. But really I know it's fine. Even if I end up having to EFF at some point, it's fine. As long as she's being fed enough and not too much I'm happy.
    Trust me I struggled first hand as well and was pushed to supplement from the beginning. I struggled for the first few months with having to do this as t goal was to EBF from day one but it didn't happen and I just went with it. We bottle and BF all day and I'm actually glad we do. DH also feels more involved. 
  • Options
    Your baby absolutely can be over fed! I would speak to an LC. 
  • Options
    @breezypip That sounds like way more then needed.  As PP said 1-1.5 oz per your you are away should be sufficient according to the kellymom website.  Have you tried a slower flow even a preemie nipple?  Babies need a while to figure out they are full and a bottle should take 10-15 minutes to finish.  Your day at should also do paced feeding if possible.  If she gets used to eating so fast she may not want to nurse.   The LC told us most babies get flow frustration not nipple confusion. 
  • Options
    kksquared said:
    @breezypip That sounds like way more then needed.  As PP said 1-1.5 oz per your you are away should be sufficient according to the kellymom website.  Have you tried a slower flow even a preemie nipple?  Babies need a while to figure out they are full and a bottle should take 10-15 minutes to finish.  Your day at should also do paced feeding if possible.  If she gets used to eating so fast she may not want to nurse.   The LC told us most babies get flow frustration not nipple confusion. 
    A website cant really tell you how much to feed your baby! It's a recommendation but not every child is going to eat the same.
  • Options
    @kdoak2015 a website can't, but it's based on research which uses averages. Yea there will be outliers, but most babies drink 24-30 oz in a 24 hour period. Some will drink more, but that's more an exception than a rule according to what I've read.
  • Options
    IMO it's not over feeding per se as much as it's just stretching their tummy. I had a problem with my daycare telling me to send more with LO so I consulted with my ped who told me to make smaller bottles. DS is on the smaller side but that's genetics not under feeding. 
    But again, that's just my experience. Go with your gut. 
  • Options
    I can pace DD out with a bottle pretty well by giving a couple ounces and then giving the paci for ab 5 mins. When she spits it out and cries I feed her more. Maybe your DH could try that and if it works maybe the daycare can..But I just think you shouldn't stress..do what you gotta do and good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks all! @dmendo01 unfortunately DD is not a fan of the paci. I keep trying but she is not impressed. 

Update for today: I sent my normal 4oz bottles to daycare today, and DD took less from her bottle this morning from DH, so he put the extra couple ounces in the bag for daycare. When I picked her up they said she did fine with the bottles today and sent home the extra. I am so confused. My only thought Is that she wasn't as hungry today because she was up EVERY hour last night to eat, which she hasn't done since she was a newborn. That or she wasn't crying from hunger, but for another reason yesterday.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds like she is going through a growth spurt. That increase in intake probably wasn't permanent. 
  • Options
    dmendo01dmendo01 member
    edited March 2016
    So..this is weird to me but kind of wondering what everyone else is getting/doing. 

I am have been pumping through the day at 10, 1, and 4. I get almost 15 ounces in that time generally. However, the last couple days I have been feeding DD at 6 and then pumping at 10 and then again around 2 and getting about 8 ounces with each pumping session doing it every 4 hours instead of every 3. At the end of the day I have at least 15 and yesterday had 16 ounces of milk. So more convenient, more milk, I'm totally on board. My only hold up...will this affect my supply pumping less through the day and eventually I won't get as much? Anyone have any insight on this?
  • Options
    dmendo01 said:
    So..this is weird to me but kind of wondering what everyone else is getting/doing. 

I am have been pumping through the day at 10, 1, and 4. I get almost 15 ounces in that time generally. However, the last couple days I have been feeding DD at 6 and then pumping at 10 and then again around 2 and getting about 8 ounces with each pumping session doing it every 4 hours instead of every 3. At the end of the day I have at least 15 and yesterday had 16 ounces of milk. So more convenient, more milk, I'm totally on board. My only hold up...will this affect my supply pumping less through the day and eventually I won't get as much? Anyone have any insight on this?
    I would say the less you express
    the less you'll make. Your body will
    adjust and only make so much in that time. 
  • Options
  • Options
    laurabwalkerlaurabwalker member
    edited April 2016
    Is it just feeding from the bottle where babes can be over fed because of the faster flow and they can't tell they are full?
  • Options
    Is it just feeding from the bottle where babes can be over fed because of the faster flow and they can't tell they are full?
    That's what I have heard.  Some breastfed babies benefit from paced feeding too to avoid over feeding.  We moved to a #2 nipple (DS is 4 months) but I have a fast letdown and he was getting frustrated with the bottle. 
  • Options
    So, a while ago I noticed a few stands of blood in DD's poop. Nurse said watch for it and call if we see it again.  Meanwhile, the pediatrician told me to try dairy again.  DD has been doing great, and a rectal exam showed no blood. But there was the tiniest smear of blood in her poop again tonight.  DH is calling tomorrow. Am I about to lose cheese again? 
  • Options
    mhuber223 said:
    So, a while ago I noticed a few stands of blood in DD's poop. Nurse said watch for it and call if we see it again.  Meanwhile, the pediatrician told me to try dairy again.  DD has been doing great, and a rectal exam showed no blood. But there was the tiniest smear of blood in her poop again tonight.  DH is calling tomorrow. Am I about to lose cheese again? 
    When did the blood show up in relation to eating/not eating dairy?
  • Options
    pupsicle23pupsicle23 member
    edited April 2016
    mhuber223 said:
    It's been about 5 days since I started having some milk and cheese.

ETA I'd been having some things with little bits of dairy, like the occasional candy bar, with no issues. 
  • Options
    mhuber223 said:
    mhuber223 said:
    It's been about 5 days since I started having some milk and cheese.

ETA I'd been having some things with little bits of dairy, like the occasional candy bar, with no issues. 
    You may have to cut dairy more strictly to find out or it may be something else. Soy is a common offender. Have there been any new changes to diet besides the dairy?
  • Options
    @Mizuiro007 Yeah,  that makes sense.  I was very strict for a while,  then did the little bits with no change, so the pediatrician thought I was in the clear. I can't think of any other changes.  I did have broccoli today. But DH had to pull milk from the freezer for a few of today's bottle feedings, so that's frustrating bc I have no idea what I ate those days.  I'm going to start keeping a journal and cross my fingers that my supply allows me to pump for the following day. 

You should really be an LC :)
  • Options
    @mhuber223 she doesn't have a diaper rash it could have come from or anything? If not, then I definitely agree with @Mizuiro007 - although I've heard gluten can do the same too, but if you haven't changed gluten consumption that probably isn't the case here.
  • Options
    Pediatrician said she was probably just straining or something and to stay the course unless we say blood for a couple of days in a row. So dairy is staying in my life! 
  • Options
    I don't know if this belongs on the breastfeeding thread of the formula thread, but here goes:

Due to my depleted freezer stash and being unable to pump enough while working to keep up with DDs consumption at daycare we have started supplementing with a bottle of Enfamil Supplementing formula at daycare. I now have to at night sometimes because she becomes inconsolably frustrated by my slow letdown. The problem is that she is suddenly refusing the formula. She made an "ick" face and let's it run down her chin and cries. She was taking it before, somewhat reluctantly, but always finished the bottle. I have no choice but to supplement so I'm looking for advice on what to do? Is there a better formula to try that may be more palatable for the BF baby??
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mizuiro007Mizuiro007 member
    edited April 2016
    breezypip said:
    I don't know if this belongs on the breastfeeding thread of the formula thread, but here goes:

Due to my depleted freezer stash and being unable to pump enough while working to keep up with DDs consumption at daycare we have started supplementing with a bottle of Enfamil Supplementing formula at daycare. I now have to at night sometimes because she becomes inconsolably frustrated by my slow letdown. The problem is that she is suddenly refusing the formula. She made an "ick" face and let's it run down her chin and cries. She was taking it before, somewhat reluctantly, but always finished the bottle. I have no choice but to supplement so I'm looking for advice on what to do? Is there a better formula to try that may be more palatable for the BF baby??
    I remember DS did the same with Enfamil (he was on gentlease). He took Similac much better. Our favorite was Gerber but we got Similac because of wic. For a while with him I was able to mix the formula and ebm and he'd take that better to get through some of what we had. I've also heard some complaints about supplementing formula in general and sometimes switching to routine is enough.

ETA DD has done well supplementing with Enfamil infant when we've needed to.

• Options
    breezypipbreezypip member
    edited April 2016
    @Mizuiro007 thanks for the suggestions. I think we'll pick up some similac and gerber to try out in case she just isn't a fan of the taste of Enfamil. I've read good things about gerber good start, so I may try that first. We do have some samples of Enfamil infant, but I wasn't sure if that would taste much different from the supplementing version.

Its an an interesting idea to switch up the routine. That's something we would have to work on, especially since we have a good bedtime routine going right now. But it's so stressful not to be able to feed your baby that I will try anything.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @breezypip I meant routine feeding formula but that is an idea. It's what helped DD go back to bottles. Bedtime was where we struggled. I would try nursing her then give her bottle of formula when she obviously wasn't getting enough. I gave up and started giving the bottle and then pumping to help supply. It went so much easier and I think helped that neither of us were so stressed once the bottle came out. We build up expectations for things to be rough based on bad experiences and that routine is telling baby what's coming. Maybe just a change like if she likes baths, give her one before she's hungry and give the bottle afterwards when she's relaxed. Change the association.
  • Options
    breezypip said:

For some reason DD won't drink enfamil for supplementing. She just doesn't like it. She drinks enfamil newborn just fine. 
  • Options
    breezypipbreezypip member
    edited April 2016
    taysun said:
    breezypip said:

For some reason DD won't drink enfamil for supplementing. She just doesn't like it. She drinks enfamil newborn just fine. 
    Interesting... We picked up some Gerber Good Start Gentle Supplementing and are trying that at daycare today. If that's a no go, then we'll try the Enfamil infant samples. I never knew what picky little eaters they could be.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    breezypip said:

When my son was refusing formula, doc recommended Similac Sensitive. It's actually lactose free but that wasn't the reason for her suggestion. She said that it is a little bit sweeter in taste, similar to breastmilk. Of the formulas we have tried, he took this the easiest. Whereas with others he would fight us and it would be hard to feed him. 

• Options
    Q HATED the Enfamil...... He tolerated Similac. I've been exclusively pumping, but I am getting to tired of it, and so is hubby. Haha. We agreed that I'd do 6 months if my supply lasted that long. So far so good. Going to start weaning in May/June. I have a good freezer stash, so I think I'll try to transition to formula slowly...... Going to see if he likes the grocery store brand stuff, though, cos DANG! Formula is expensive!!! 
  • Options
    Anyone else struggling with allergies? I'm afraid to take allergy meds because I've read it will make my supply drop but I'm MISERABLE! Any suggestions? 
  • Options
    sardavbak said:
    Anyone else struggling with allergies? I'm afraid to take allergy meds because I've read it will make my supply drop but I'm MISERABLE! Any suggestions? 
    I have winter allergies so I'm getting better but I got by treating it like I had a cold. I used a humidifier, chest rub, lots of fluids, and reserved allergy pills for days when I just couldn't breath otherwise. Oh and saline spray. Ask the doctor about nasal spray though.
  • Options
    I took loritadine (Claritin) and no problems or changes in supply. 10mg/day. 
  • Options
    My allergy medicine is a nasel spray and they said it won't affect my supply. It's called fluticasone. 

Its presciption though so you might need to get tested if you haven't been. I'm allergic to dust and it's been the only medicine that's ever worked. 
  • Options
    I have a weird question. Any of you mamas that are supplementing with formula, does your babies spit up smell different from formula than breastmilk? My little guy is EBF and this week started being watched my by mil when I went back to work. Wednesday his spit up smelled weird. At our 3 am feeding I convinced myself that the difference in smell was because she gave him formula. And I got myself all worked up. Don't get me wrong, I'm more concerned about her possibly going behind my back than the fact that he may have had formula. Especially since I have been leaving her more than enough breastmilk every day. 
  • Options
    I have a weird question. Any of you mamas that are supplementing with formula, does your babies spit up smell different from formula than breastmilk? My little guy is EBF and this week started being watched my by mil when I went back to work. Wednesday his spit up smelled weird. At our 3 am feeding I convinced myself that the difference in smell was because she gave him formula. And I got myself all worked up. Don't get me wrong, I'm more concerned about her possibly going behind my back than the fact that he may have had formula. Especially since I have been leaving her more than enough breastmilk every day. 
    I've noticed with DD it will smell different for a number of reasons including what she ate, how long it's been sitting in her stomach, if she's been teething or sick and had drainage. If she's having a bad day with reflux it can be truly vile. If you suspect it was formula just ask and explain why and that you need to rule it out as a cause before jumping to something else.
  • Options
    I just got a whopping one ounce for my morning pump. I'll be leaving 9 for the day,  and MIL will supplement with formula.  It's getting less and less every day. How much breastmilk do babies need for the benefits?