May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday 3/31/16

2»

Re: UO Thursday 3/31/16

• missnc77 said:
    My UO since we're talking about TV shows. Darryl on Walking Dead is my favorite character, and I always said the show would be ruined if he left it. However, this season, I feel like his story arch isn't really doing him justice. I almost feel like maybe it's Darryl's "time," and I think I'm coming to terms with being okay with that. But I am so not ready for Mischonne to go anywhere!

Darryl is my favorite too! And I totally agree, I feel like they kind of abandoned his story arch and it bums me out. I'm not ready for it to be his time though. My H thinks Glen or Darryl will be done this season for sure and I'm so not ready for either of them to go! Carol on the other hand, she can go at any time. I honestly can't believe she's lasted this long. I do really like this season despite the lack of solid Darryl story lines.
    They need more Darryl, less lovey dovey stuff. We want guts and gore, stop it with the kisses! But yes, Darryl and Glen can't go anywhere. But I am sure one of the main characters will be written out. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Lusitano8 said:
    swflJD said:
    Here's mine:  I'm actually dreading going on maternity leave.  I can take up to 12 weeks off (8 weeks at full pay and 4 at half pay) and then work from home as long as I want, but I'm considering going back to work sooner. Even though my supervisor and I have discussed it all in detail and I know everything is going to be handled while I'm gone, the thought of being away from work that for long really stresses me out!  And the probability of having my mom and MIL at my house everyday makes me want to scream already! DH gets 3 weeks of paid paternity leave, and he can use some of the PTO he has been banking for a while if he wants to take off longer after I go back to work. Maybe I'll feel differently and want the time off after LO gets here, but my career is such a huge part of who I am, and the thought of being away from it for months makes my stomach turn.       
    That's awesome you love your career and are eager to get back to it. But I would kill for a fraction of your benefits. So many of us don't have the luxury of staying home with our LO in the first month and have to return due to un-paid leave. Seriously is your company hiring!?
    Well, it actually isn't as great as is sounds.  My company's short term disability plan only covers 3 weeks at full pay (the other 5 I can take are my combined vacation, personal, holidays, and sick PTO) and 4 weeks at half pay (6 if a c-section).  If I didn't use any of my PTO, I would only get 3 weeks at full pay, 4 (possibly 6) weeks at half pay, and the rest of the 12 weeks without pay.  If I decide to use all of my vacation, personal, and floating holiday days, I'll have to request an advance on some of next year's PTO if we want to travel home for the holidays in December (which is our plan).  That means less family vacation time next year.  I know it's still more than most women in the U.S. get, and I'm grateful that I have these options (sorry if it came across otherwise).  I just don't know that I'll be able to stand being at home for that long.  I had a serious accident a year and a half ago where I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and unable to go back to work for about a month after that.  I thought I was going to go stir crazy before my doctor cleared me to go back to work, and that was a lot less time than maternity leave. Maybe the time off will be different this time with a LO, but I'm still not looking forward to my leave.   
  • I don't get people who tell their spouses how attractive other people are. I get being aware of their good lucks, but when I'm around people who sit there and tell their SO how hot this guy or girl was... I just don't understand. Why? 
  • bkjade said:
    Why is it that most baby gear is so ugly? Pastel and baby animal EVERYTHING. No thank you. No way am I putting this pastel green swing with baby giraffes on it in my living room. Nope. 
    Famous last words....
    Haha I've resigned myself to the fact that I do not have the time or energy to hunt down and review special items to match my style. I'm going with whatever at this point. 
  • bkjade said:
    Why is it that most baby gear is so ugly? Pastel and baby animal EVERYTHING. No thank you. No way am I putting this pastel green swing with baby giraffes on it in my living room. Nope. 
    I KNOW! I hate this too. I really don't want my entire house to look like a Chuck E Cheese. ugh.

• Way off the UO topic but when I first went to my former OBGYN to talk about getting off the pill, the only question she asked me was "are you getting married?"  And at the time we had no plans to get married.  A throat punch would have been more appropriate but at the time I was so caught off guard that I just said "yes" to move the conversation along.
    OMG. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Lusitano8 said:
    swflJD said:
    Here's mine:  I'm actually dreading going on maternity leave.  I can take up to 12 weeks off (8 weeks at full pay and 4 at half pay) and then work from home as long as I want, but I'm considering going back to work sooner. Even though my supervisor and I have discussed it all in detail and I know everything is going to be handled while I'm gone, the thought of being away from work that for long really stresses me out!  And the probability of having my mom and MIL at my house everyday makes me want to scream already! DH gets 3 weeks of paid paternity leave, and he can use some of the PTO he has been banking for a while if he wants to take off longer after I go back to work. Maybe I'll feel differently and want the time off after LO gets here, but my career is such a huge part of who I am, and the thought of being away from it for months makes my stomach turn.       
    That's awesome you love your career and are eager to get back to it. But I would kill for a fraction of your benefits. So many of us don't have the luxury of staying home with our LO in the first month and have to return due to un-paid leave. Seriously is your company hiring!?
    I'm actually off from May through January. And there is NO WAY I can be gone for that long, so I hear ya, @lusitano9.  Buuuut I don't want to come back to the office as once I'm back, people will think I'm available to do stuff that I don't want to do. So I'm going to work from home and we're going to get a nanny to come in the house. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• My UO is that I think it's wishful thinking that people will be able to drink alcohol immediately after their babies are born. Newborns eating schedules can be so unpredictable, so if you want to BF it would be pretty hard to accurately determine a 2 hour window to have a drink before baby will want to nurse again. I realize this is unpopular, but whatever. 
    My plan: feed, pump, drink. And by drink, I mean like 1/2 a Guiness because I haven't had alcohol in almost a year so I am probably quite the cheap date right now. That way, if Luna gets hungry while I am still processing the alcohol, Dada can take a turn giving her a bottle. Then, by the time she needs to nurse again, I will be ready to rock and roll.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I guess this is an UO but I am all for STD testing, even when you are asymptomatic!!!

So long as it's paid for by insurance, of course:)

But why not get tested? Most STDs can be transmitted by people who exhibit no symptoms (including herpes, which 1 in 4 women have). In fact, the numbers on that are higher, since 80% of humans have herpes simplex 1 (cold sores) and all it takes is an ill-timed oral sex session to make that genitally presented. And you don't have to acquire it via sex (i.e. Your husband can get it without philandering, just by sharing a drink with a friend or using a family member's towel).

I can think of no reason other than cost that you would not want to screen for all the things whenever the doctor is willing to order the tests.
  • PYLWhammy said:
    My rings haven't fit for a few weeks now and I'm so stupidly afraid of people's judgment. It's like, even if I WASN'T married, who cares? How is it anyone's business? DH and I were out the other day and he had his ring on, and I said "I wonder if anyone thinks we're not married and I'm having an affair with a married man." At least I got a laugh out of that.
    This is totally my DH and I. My rings haven't fit in a long time so I bought an $8 Walmart ring. I have totally been judged for each and every (4 total) pregnancies because of not wearing my rings. It's no ones business and people are ignorant.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • LadySamLady: I'm with you on the Elf on The Shelf Deal. Why should parents have to make sure their kids are behaving by using a creepy elf to do it? That defies the whole point of Santa anyway. I mean I'm not going to force myself to make the elf look like they are moving all the time that's just way too much trouble. It's ridiculous! Kids should learn to be good on their own.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would trade living here versus Canada any day if It meant I got better maternity leave. Maternity leave here stinks!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • PYLWhammy said:
    My rings haven't fit for a few weeks now and I'm so stupidly afraid of people's judgment. It's like, even if I WASN'T married, who cares? How is it anyone's business? DH and I were out the other day and he had his ring on, and I said "I wonder if anyone thinks we're not married and I'm having an affair with a married man." At least I got a laugh out of that.
    I officially outgrew my rings in the past 2 hours. I have dinner plans tonight with a friend, and might make her to go Macys with me 1st to by a fake. I am terrified of the side eye!

cat fail animated GIF

• Another one...

The only time a family needs to wear matching clothes is for photos and even then I prefer coordinating colors v. matching. It's one thing for a school group to wear matching shirts so they're easily able to identify one another, but your 4 person family does not need matching vacation shirts. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • @LadySamLady I agree about Elf on the Shelf. I think the whole idea is stupid and I can't stand the multiple facebook posts I see by everyone when it's that time of year. Your kids should behave anyway!

@JessicaB0627 I agree. When people talk about drinking I just automatically assume that they don't plan on breastfeeding because I don't see how there would be time to drink in between BF.

@Charissadeats In regards to your Game of Thrones comment... GET OUT! :O I am appalled! I've read all the books and I think I've watched up to season 4?

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Another one...

The only time a family needs to wear matching clothes is for photos and even then I prefer coordinating colors v. matching. It's one thing for a school group to wear matching shirts so they're easily able to identify one another, but your 4 person family does not need matching vacation shirts. 
    Omg this! We live near Disney so we go fairly often and we see this every time we go. I always feel bad for the kids/teens in the family bc I'm so sure they 'love' wearing those matching family shirts. :wink: 
  • mrstmoose said:
    I'm with everyone on the not wearing rings issue - DH wears his everywhere and for the last month, I haven't been able to fit mine on (and clearly won't for awhile at this point). I was tired of people thinking that I was either a) not married or b) I was a mistress. So I bought a band from Target to suffice. But really, people need to mind their own business.

2nd - goes along with what @Charla1224 was saying. I'm so over watching kids run their parents and the house. When did we become a society where the KIDS rule? Have we become so afraid of disciplining our children that they can do whatever they want? My kids will know who the boss(es) are and what their consequences are. If they think they are stubborn, wait until they see how stubborn mom is. Who do you think you inherited that trait from? 
    DD is almost more stubborn than me. She definitely gives me a run for my money. This morning she threw a temper tantrum when I was dropping her off at school because she demanded that I turn on the sink water for her to rinse her hands off and couldn't be bothered to ask nicely. She flat out refused to say please just to be stubborn. I ended up having to grab her hands and rinse them off myself and left her throwing a fit on the floor.... It was awful! 

@AmmyBelle No shaming from me! I fully plan on drinking beer after LO is born, just not until we can establish a good routine/schedule and possibly after I've been able to pump. Newborns are just very unpredictable and I would hate for mine to be hungry and upset because I had a drink and can't feed her again right away. I also have zero desire to have to pump and feed DD a bottle when we'll be working so hard at establishing a good breastfeeding relationship. I would rather wait at least a few weeks for that and not take chances. 
  • kbrands7 said:
    mrstmoose said:

2nd - goes along with what @Charla1224 was saying. I'm so over watching kids run their parents and the house. When did we become a society where the KIDS rule? Have we become so afraid of disciplining our children that they can do whatever they want? My kids will know who the boss(es) are and what their consequences are. If they think they are stubborn, wait until they see how stubborn mom is. Who do you think you inherited that trait from?

I feel like most people agree with this.  Do you think we will see a trend of new parents being more strict?  That is, if they can look up from the phone.
  • AmmyBelle said:

My OU is pregnant couples not informing themselves of what it means to be pregnant. I have a bunch of pregnant friends/cousins/acquaintances right now, and so many of them won't read the books/ask their doctor questions/watch documentaries/join sites like the bump to get info on what's happening to their bodies/lives. In general, it's fine - be as informed as you want. But what tends to happen is I get a call at 4 am my time (because everyone forgets I'm in PST) about painful pelvises/brown discharge at 14 weeks/painful gas/etc etc etc and am like "This all could have been avoided - the panic,the phone call - if you just read that pregnancy book that was recommended ..." Why?
    Personally I don't understand why anyone would elect not to be informed about what was going to happen.
  • js8812 said:
    kbrands7 said:
    mrstmoose said:

I feel like most people agree with this.  Do you think we will see a trend of new parents being more strict?  That is, if they can look up from the phone.
    God, I hope so. Though I've seen the polar opposite and it's not helpful either-- parents just shouting at their kids with no form of teaching or supporting; I don't want that to be the new standard either.
  • @JessicaB0627 - Oh no, I didn't mean to say you were shaming anyone, and I'm sorry if it came out that way. I meant society in general (my MIL in specific :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LOL @AdorkablePixie Sorry to disappoint! I will give Season 6 3 episodes before making the final call to stop watching :smile: Season 5 just did not do it for me (apart from 3 awesome scenes). 
  • I'll be breastfeeding and I can't wait until I can have a beer/glass of wine (ok, probably half) and I don't care who knows it!
  • My UP is the radiology department where I'm having my biophysical profile done before my NST today. WTF is the point of having an appointment if you're going to make me sit in the lobby for 45 minutes after my appointment time? I work in healthcare at an office owned by the same company and we would get screamed at by patients if they waited this long. Not to mention that I have another appointment scheduled a half and hour later. When I told the receptionist that I had to pick my daughter up at 4 she told me to find someone else to do it. I told her that wasn't an option and she said well just go get her and bring her back. I asked what I was supposed to do with a 10 month old while I'm having an ultrasound and NST done? She told me she could help and walked away. I'm about to burn it down. I. Am. So. Pissed.
    Met: 11/2/2004
    Dating: 3/24/2005
    Married: 11/5/2011
    Eleanor Leeann: 5/14/2015
    Baby # 2 Due: 5/17/2016
  • Idk if this is UO but I'm not a fan of children on leashes. I 100% understand if you have a child with special needs but otherwise they look silly. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Idk if this is UO but I'm not a fan of children on leashes. I 100% understand if you have a child with special needs but otherwise they look silly. 
    I used to have this opinion. That changed in the day DD1 was 1.5 years old and wanted to walk in the store instead of ride and sprinted down the aisle and almost made it around a corner before I caught her, and then decided she was a big girl and didn't need to hold hands when walking next to us in parking lots.

I would rather have my kids be safe and have the leash and look silly then not have it as a backup to keep close  and run of when I took my eyes of her for a second (and we did treat it as a backup, primary method was teaching good behavior). So just try to keep and open mind on leashes when kids become mobile (and there are some cute animal backpack styles where you hold onto the "tail") 
    I completely disagree. I'll leave the leash thing alone as a whole but I don't think a child needs to be on a leash just because they have special needs. Those children are able to learn too. 
  • js8812 said:
    kbrands7 said:
    mrstmoose said:

Yes x34586965984  step away from your media regularly and make eye contact with your child.  Then they will know they are cared for.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Aquinna82 said:
    AmmyBelle said:

My OU is pregnant couples not informing themselves of what it means to be pregnant. I have a bunch of pregnant friends/cousins/acquaintances right now, and so many of them won't read the books/ask their doctor questions/watch documentaries/join sites like the bump to get info on what's happening to their bodies/lives. In general, it's fine - be as informed as you want. But what tends to happen is I get a call at 4 am my time (because everyone forgets I'm in PST) about painful pelvises/brown discharge at 14 weeks/painful gas/etc etc etc and am like "This all could have been avoided - the panic,the phone call - if you just read that pregnancy book that was recommended ..." Why?
    Personally I don't understand why anyone would elect not to be informed about what was going to happen.
    @Aquinna82 lol, funny you say that because I know someone due this month that is like that. She refuses to learn anything about her pregnancy and told her husband to read stuff and tell her about it. Boggles my mind honestly.