May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday 3/31/16

Remember, opinions are like a$$Holes. Everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Re: UO Thursday 3/31/16

• Loading the player...
  • There was a story in the news about 2 1st grade girls at a charter school in Alaska who attempted to poison another classmate's lunch with those silica packets that specifically say "Do not eat". The students have been suspended, I believe, but personally I think they should be removed from the school. It is a lottery-based admissions and there is a very long wait-list. I think it is unfair to all the kids on the waiting list that these students get to keep their slots despite really horrendous behavior. Also, those 2 girls need very intensive psychiatric counseling and treatment IMO. I usually am not very "zero-tolerance" in general, but in a case like this, I see this as a very clear sign that something is terribly wrong and drastic steps need to be taken for the health and safety of all the students.
    I read this story and didn't realize they were not expelled.  I can't believe their punishment is suspension.  They plotted to kill another classmate.  Expel those kids!!  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2016/03/30/first-graders-plot-to-kill-classmate-with-poisoned-lunch-foiled-by-teacher/

"The station reported that the Anchorage Police Department became involved in the case when the plot was reported to the elementary school’s resource officer. Officials said the officer spoke with all three students and declined to file charges" and the students are "expected to return to school after their punishment was completed." Not cool.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I completely understand why people don't like using the terms natural vs unnatural for birth (since I agree "natural" would mean squatting outside behind a bush with a 10% chance of dying), but I also hate using the term "unmedicated". I'm giving birth in a birthing center but my choice has nothing to do with medication. I would totally use meds if it didn't involve going to a hospital and getting a needle in my spine. 

But I have no good alternative term, ha. 
  • Oh, @AnastasiaBeaverhausen09 I am so on board with you! But some coworkers were saying "Oh, well, they probably didn't know what they were doing. They were so young." blah blah blah. I can tell you, I used to work on a locked pediatric in-patient mental health unit and there was a 7 yr old boy who attacked me and I don't care how old he was; he wanted to hurt and kill me just as much as if he was 17. I have seen young children who are homicidal and it is real. These children need help, not a second chance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ncm0328 that must be the post they removed! Mystery solved, I was so curious
  • EErin86 said:
    @ncm0328 that must be the post they removed! Mystery solved, I was so curious
    They did remove it! Thank God. There was a picture of her in the birthing tub naked with baby on her chest right after delivery which doesn't bother me so much, but then a pic of baby lying down with cord attached to placenta and that was a little much for a public forum announcement. 
  • yogahh said:
    Totally not a UO but something that has been irritating me ... wanted to get your opinion. Does it bother anyone else when strangers on the street stare at your bump? I get it ALL OF THE TIME. Have they never seen a pregnant lady before? 

If you guys like the side eye, then I guess this is my UO for the week ;)
    Ugh, yes.  I'm not sure if I'm hyper sensitive, but I feel like people just STARE and STARE. 
  • yogahh said:
    Totally not a UO but something that has been irritating me ... wanted to get your opinion. Does it bother anyone else when strangers on the street stare at your bump? I get it ALL OF THE TIME. Have they never seen a pregnant lady before? 

I get it all the time and personally find it annoying. I never realized a pregnant lady was such a foreign thing to so many people. Even still, didn't people ever learn that it's not polite to stare? :)
  • @yogahh I feel judged by older people. Like I did something naughty. And they stare, a lot. I have to remind myself that I am 28 (next week), been married 5 years, and that this was planned... 
    YES! I look pretty young when I have my hair up and am in sweats running errands and I ALWAYS get looks from older women when I have my toddler and giant belly on display. It feels very judge-y like I am irresponsible or something. And the one day I didn't wear my wedding rings because I had taken them off to clean out the Play Doh that was jammed around the center stone (oh, the joys of motherhood. I just can't have nice things!) I saw a woman scrutinize my left hand, look at my son, then my belly and she actually shook her head and clucked her f-ing tongue at me. If ever I wanted to throat punch a lady, that was it!
    People suck!! Sorry. 

I must say, it probably doesn't help that both my DH and I have very visible tattoos and people in my city are extremely conservative! 
  • @ncm0328 I'll never understand why some women think their pregnancies and births are SOOOO important that everyone wants to know every last detail. Narcissistic much?
  • yogahh said:

Thats funny you bring this up, I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. I work at a college, and I swear when I walk around outside people stare at me like they have never in their whole life seen a pregnant woman. Its really uncomfortable.
  • yogahh said:

Yas!! This is driving me crazy for some reason! They just stare like my belly is a freak show. I prefer the people who strike up conversation about it. Even though I'm done answering how much longer, boy/girl/ 1st baby etc. 

I'm also pissed that people don't offer to help out preggo ladies more. Maybe this is too entitled but very few people offer to hold the door, offer up a seat or carry bags for me. I think common courtesy is dead.
  • @ncm0328 Oh my gosh - I think I know what post you're talking about. I was scrolling through the other night relaxing on the couch with my husband looking at cute newborn pictures, then I got to that post. As if the placenta wasn't bad enough, then it was the naked picture in the bathtub, and I literally threw my ipad across the couch and yelled. My husband asked what was wrong, and I told him to look at the ipad. He grabbed it and then tossed it. I totally get birth is a natural thing, our bodies are a beautiful and natural thing, but ain't nobody got time for that when all they are expecting to see is a newborn and some general birth information (time/weight/etc).

My UO since we're talking about TV shows. Darryl on Walking Dead is my favorite character, and I always said the show would be ruined if he left it. However, this season, I feel like his story arch isn't really doing him justice. I almost feel like maybe it's Darryl's "time," and I think I'm coming to terms with being okay with that. But I am so not ready for Mischonne to go anywhere!

Also, Game of Thrones is amazing, and I'm so glad I have that to carry me through my last few weeks of waiting for my due date. Bring it! I'm ready to see Cersei go full on evil queen mode on those who wronged her last season.
  • Aquinna82 said:
    @ncm0328 How annoying!! You should make a t-shirt that says: 'We are a military family and my husband is currently serving your country. Now, either eff-off or bring me something to eat' 
    haha.  I'm going to have this shirt made and sent to you.

Way off the UO topic but when I first went to my former OBGYN to talk about getting off the pill, the only question she asked me was "are you getting married?"  And at the time we had no plans to get married.  A throat punch would have been more appropriate but at the time I was so caught off guard that I just said "yes" to move the conversation along.
    Ugh! When I was in college an OB kept pressuring me to get tested for herpes, which isn't a routine STD screening and I had no symptoms of. When I said no thank you, she said "well we need to make sure you're not spreading it around!" I understand that they are doctors, but jeez. Have some manners. 
  • swflJD said:
    Here's mine:  I'm actually dreading going on maternity leave.  I can take up to 12 weeks off (8 weeks at full pay and 4 at half pay) and then work from home as long as I want, but I'm considering going back to work sooner. Even though my supervisor and I have discussed it all in detail and I know everything is going to be handled while I'm gone, the thought of being away from work that for long really stresses me out!  And the probability of having my mom and MIL at my house everyday makes me want to scream already! DH gets 3 weeks of paid paternity leave, and he can use some of the PTO he has been banking for a while if he wants to take off longer after I go back to work. Maybe I'll feel differently and want the time off after LO gets here, but my career is such a huge part of who I am, and the thought of being away from it for months makes my stomach turn.       
    That's awesome you love your career and are eager to get back to it. But I would kill for a fraction of your benefits. So many of us don't have the luxury of staying home with our LO in the first month and have to return due to un-paid leave. Seriously is your company hiring!?
  • missnc77 said:
    My UO since we're talking about TV shows. Darryl on Walking Dead is my favorite character, and I always said the show would be ruined if he left it. However, this season, I feel like his story arch isn't really doing him justice. I almost feel like maybe it's Darryl's "time," and I think I'm coming to terms with being okay with that. But I am so not ready for Mischonne to go anywhere!

Darryl is my favorite too! And I totally agree, I feel like they kind of abandoned his story arch and it bums me out. I'm not ready for it to be his time though. My H thinks Glen or Darryl will be done this season for sure and I'm so not ready for either of them to go! Carol on the other hand, she can go at any time. I honestly can't believe she's lasted this long. I do really like this season despite the lack of solid Darryl story lines.