June 2016 Moms
Options

Leave of Absence

2»

Re: Leave of Absence

• Options
    Since you're an adoptive mother and will have to induce lactation, there may be a medical exemption that would qualify you to have paid leave? I would look into it! 

• Options
    We are definitely still fighting it and looking deeper.  We are planning not to have anything at this point though.  Months ago my direct boss told me I get the normal 6 wks but now HR is telling her that she was wrong.  She also tried to argue that I'll be breastfeeding but they pushed back saying it didn't matter.  I totally think it's ridiculous what the US offers new parents.  The fact of the matter is that I could take full paid time off for anything else but this I can't.  So unfair and that's really an important value to me.  I know it will all work out in the end but it is just so complicated and shouldn't be.  I know that I'm fortunate to even have a good job so I don't mean to be completely down.  Thank you for all the support!!!  @bankssl1  I sent you a PM :)
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Love4Labs326 wait. So you do have accrued PTO but you can't take it? That's stupid. I didn't realize employers could dictate that. 
  • Options
    Starlight32Starlight32 member
    edited April 2016
    I think they can dictate it in certain situations. I'll have 6 months pto (by the time baby is born) but can only use 3 months since fmla will only cover 12 weeks. I think that's HR's policy though. I'm hoping to work something out with my boss. 
  • Options
    I feel your pain. I still can't quite comprehend I am losing a full quarter of my income just because I am having a baby. I'm also getting annoyed when my coworkers seem surprised or inconvenienced that I'm taking the full 12 weeks. Good luck!
  • Options
    @Musestarved my coworkers act inconvenienced too. It's not that much time off for bringing a child into this world. People in other countries get a year off with job protection. We get 3 months. 
  • Options
    We are definitely still fighting it and looking deeper.  We are planning not to have anything at this point though.  Months ago my direct boss told me I get the normal 6 wks but now HR is telling her that she was wrong.  She also tried to argue that I'll be breastfeeding but they pushed back saying it didn't matter.  I totally think it's ridiculous what the US offers new parents.  The fact of the matter is that I could take full paid time off for anything else but this I can't.  So unfair and that's really an important value to me.  I know it will all work out in the end but it is just so complicated and shouldn't be.  I know that I'm fortunate to even have a good job so I don't mean to be completely down.  Thank you for all the support!!!  @bankssl1  I sent you a PM :)
    Assuming the 6 weeks is for short term disability (only PTO I'll have), a doctor, not your boss will have to authorize it.  Are you working with an MD on inducing lactation?  Adoptive nursing is no mean feat, so I'd ask your doctor, or perhaps find an MD who specializes in lactation issues (there's one in my area - she only does lactation medicine) and see if they might authorize at least some length of short term disability.