June 2015 Moms

Feeding LO - January

123457»

Re: Feeding LO - January

• Another random q: LO has also started to eat less as she's getting more mobile. She's impatient to get back on the floor to crawl and explore so doesn't finish bottles. Should I force her to finish them? It's not a ton but maybe 2-3 ounces less per day overall.
  • caitlincunncaitlincunn member
    edited February 2016
    I don't think 2-3 oz less a day would be anything to worry about. If she needs it she will have more I would think. Lo seems too busy to nurse and she won't take bottles so no idea how much she drinks in a day. Down to 5 mins each time except before bed and first thing in the morning. It worries me but the dr wasn't  concerned. 
  • Loading the player...
  • When do babies begin to "merge" feedings?  Noticing she isn't eating as much at school.  Are formula babies supposed to be every 4 hours bc of thickness?  Idk if I'm making stuff up here, but curious!  
  • "EBF" mamas - have your kids reduced their nursing sessions with a rise in "solids" intake? My kid still nurses just as often, it seems. 
    Nope.  Though to be fair she does not eat much in the solids department.  If we can get her to actully swallow 5-10 spoonfuls 2-3 times a day, it's a good day.

I've heard they don't cut down usually until 10 months or so.
  • @virginiaunicorn11 she still nurses just as frequently. Her afternoon nursings are sometimes a bit shorter though. I always nurse her prior to eating solids though. This way she is mainly subsisting off of bm and not food yet. 
  • "EBF" mamas - have your kids reduced their nursing sessions with a rise in "solids" intake? My kid still nurses just as often, it seems. 
    Still nursing just as often here too - 5 nursing sessions per day about 5-10 minutes each session. And my lo eats solids 3-4 times a day but amounts and his interest vary
  • @virginiaunicorn11 We haven't decreased at all. In fact he seems hungrier quicker after eating his solids meal. 
  • Ok, thanks, ladies. Germans seemed surprised I'm still nursing every 2-4 hours and I was wondering if I'm so weird or if I'm reading too much into their questions (probably the latter).
  • We intentionally cut LO's feedings around the time he started solids, as we established an EASY routine. But we increased the size of his bottles and encouraged him to nurse longer on both sides, instead of the constant snacking. So now he has bm 4 times/day (every four hours) and solids 3 times, in between. 
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• @mindaa how much is LO taking in a bottle each feeding now?  I am starting to experience a drop in supply and it's becoming stressful.  I don't have a freezer stash and have to pump enough in a day for the next day to eat at the sitter (my sister).  He is only eating solids 2x a day.  Maybe I should try increase his solid intake to 3?  Right now he gets 3 or 4, 4 oz - 4.5oz bottles of pumped milk while he as it my sisters, he nurses in the morning, and then before bed he gets another 4 oz. bottle of pumped milk and he nurses to top himself off.  
  • @swiebe If you are wanting to Increase your supply I'd try to nurse more or pump an additional time instead of solids. BM/formula should still be the main source of nutrition 
  • mindaamindaa member
    edited February 2016
    swiebe said:
    @mindaa how much is LO taking in a bottle each feeding now?  I am starting to experience a drop in supply and it's becoming stressful.  I don't have a freezer stash and have to pump enough in a day for the next day to eat at the sitter (my sister).  He is only eating solids 2x a day.  Maybe I should try increase his solid intake to 3?  Right now he gets 3 or 4, 4 oz - 4.5oz bottles of pumped milk while he as it my sisters, he nurses in the morning, and then before bed he gets another 4 oz. bottle of pumped milk and he nurses to top himself off.  
    Usually bottles are 7-10 oz (one random morning he pounded 15!). Starting the routine has actually allowed me to have surplus for the first time. I was barely pumping enough to keep up with demand for the first 4 months back at work. At first I was really stressed, as it seemed like LO was having a drastic cut in bm, but he's way more chill these days and still growing steadily. 

ETA, On 2nd thought it probably sounds weird, that LO could be taking 30-40 ozs/day and I worried about him not getting enough... but that's just the crazed, sleep deprived state I was in at the time.

Solids are inconsistent - sometimes he'll take 4 ozs (approx, we make our own), other times just a few bites, but at least it gives him the option of an extra snack if he needs it. 

Agree with @janat1717 , I'm still acting as if I need to keep my supply up, since I'm concerned about a possible 9-month dip.  I bf or pump every 4-ish hours, and usually get up MOT to pump, even though LO is STTN. I still take my fenugreek, flax and brewers yeast with oatmeal, (though I've gotten kinda lazy about it.) 

Me-37, DH-38

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• @mindaa Sounds like you have a champ eater on your hands!  That's amazing.  Thanks for the reply. 
  • Question for moms who are still breastfeeding...I noticed for about the past week that the flow on my left side has gotten really slow.  I notice that it's taking forever to pump it.  Also, my nipple now hurts like fire bc LO is pulling at it when we nurse on that side, I'm guessing also because of the slow flow.  I've nursed all weekend so I don't have pumping stats to confirm anything, but I'm getting worried that my supply is also taking a hit.  The left used to be my big producer and now I'm lucky to get 3-4oz first thing in the morning, after almost 30 minutes, when I used to easily get 5-6oz in 15-20 minutes just two weeks ago.

I'm not sure how to proceed here?  Should I see a doctor to rule out infection on that side?  I don't feel a clogged duct or anything.  This is probably a stupid question, but what doctor do you even call for breastfeeding issues?  My obgyn?  The lactation consultant/nurse at the pediatrician?  I'd really like to get to the bottom of this and correct it if at all possible.  I hate to think we were smooth sailing on breastfeeding for 8 months and then it all goes to shit in two weeks.

I've done some online research but I don't see a blister or feel a clog and I know I'm not pregnant (just had my period last week).  Thought some of you might have some thoughts?  LO hates being spoon fed so I don't see her weaning on her own anytime soon unfortunately, and my freezer stash, while large, isn't enough to get us through more than a month or so.
  • @delujm0 I am actually going through a very similar situation right now.  I am really struggling to keep my supply up.  Since we started solids, and being sick for the last week and a half I can barely pump enough for him for the next day.  I no longer have a freezer stash.  
    I also get the weird nipple pain thing from pumping too much.  It almost feels like my nipple is raw.  But I have just been attributing it to pumping for longer periods of time to try to stimulate production. 
    I work full time, so my goal this week is to pump 3x a day while I am at work. Also will be upping my intake of supplements like milk thistle and fenugreek.  
    I gave LO a bottle of formula at 2am.  So thankful he actually took it so I could pump enough for him to have bottles at the sitters today.  
  • @mindaa is a 9 month supply dip a Thing?

Im also starting to worry about a supply dip, sort of for no reason, other than LO is nursing less and I have no freezer stash. But on the other hand, I feel like things have gone well so far, and if Mother Nature changes it up, we can deal with it. 

• I've only been offering solids 1 time per day specifically to make sure he keeps nursing a lot. I give a little fruit here and there additionally. Will increase solids around 10 months and then go to 3 times at a year. I want to keep going to 2 years though so for me this works
  • @mindaa is a 9 month supply dip a Thing?

Im also starting to worry about a supply dip, sort of for no reason, other than LO is nursing less and I have no freezer stash. But on the other hand, I feel like things have gone well so far, and if Mother Nature changes it up, we can deal with it. 

@virginiaunicorn11 I don't really know, actually... it could just be one of those things I've made up, stemming from too much TB (ie. a couple threads in the 6-9 and 9-12 month baby boards) and the fact that I've had supply issues from the start, so it's always been a worry. But like you said, it totally makes sense for it to happen now as babies start to wean.
    Me-37, DH-38

• For those still nursing, how many times a day is your lo eating?

My lo has been eating 5x a day for a couple of months but the last couple days 4x a day is a struggle. Solids haven't increased, in fact in the last week they've decreased. He is getting over a cold (today is day 6) and I've been convinced that he's been teething during the last week, too. 

Is anyone compulsive like me and tracks length of feedings? I use Baby Tracker and typically he spends 50-60 minutes eating but today was only 27! Please don't judge me for tracking this... Lol.  
  • @meaghan8816 mine just started nursing 4x a day. Down from 5. She only nurses for about 10 minutes total. 
  • @meaghan8816 mine still nurses 7-8 times a day, but she's also a snacker and will eat about every 2 hours during the day (sleeps through the night generally for 10-12 hours).  When we bottle feed during the week, she usually takes in about 25 ounces via bottle and then nurses twice in a day.  She doesn't really eat solids.  I mean she'll eat a few spoonfulls 3 times a day but that's it.  nothing that could possibly offset calories from breastmilk.

I have read that during colds and teething kids can take in less.  it's probably just that.  When DD is stuffy it seems hard for her to coordinate nursing, because she's trying to breathe partially through her mouth.  And apparently sucking can make teething pain worse as well.

Update on my supply dip situation...the doctor doesn't think there's anything wrong with me, she says that the nipple pain is probably from DD's aggressive nursing on that side (and I now agree with that because I've been pumping at work, so only actually nursing on that side once a day, and it doesn't feel as horrible now as it did Monday).  I've seriously upped my water intake this week - like we're talking 120-150 ounces a day - and that, combined with the normal nursing schedule, seems to be working.  I'm pumping normal amounts and DD seems less annoyed on that side once letdown starts.  She still pulls a bit until the milk really gets flowing (that side still is letting down slower than the other one, I've noticed while pumping).  Can't decide what to do this weekend - thinking it would benefit me to keep up my pumping schedule even on weekends now, as much as possible.  Fortunately, the times I generally pump at work do coincide with her normal nap times, so I think I'll bottle feed other than pre-nap and pre-bedtime and just nurse her at those times and then pump afterwards (she only takes one side per feed, so I will nurse on one and then pump the other to maintain my weekday schedule).  Hopefully that will work better, and also give my nipple more time to heal since she'd only nurse on it about twice a day instead of 4 times.  We shall see.

• @delujm0 - good news, glad things are working out.
    Me-37, DH-38

• @ciennah99 @delujm0 @7425cait
    thanks for your responses... I do appreciate you taking the time to write!
    J is still eating substantially less and refusing the one side now. Ugh. That side seems to be super slow to let down and that's making him frustrated... But I can't even get him to stay latched on to keep sucking so I end up just moving him over to the other side and he settles right in. I'm wondering/hoping it's just related to teething. Also wondering if I should be looking at starting formula. I'm worried he's not getting enough milk and is going to fill up on solids. 
  • My girls are protesting bottles. I thought it was teething related but all visible teeth have popped through. They aren't really crabby or the irritable, I think they just want real food more often. How do you even begin to curb that??
  • @swiebe, my first thought is to only nurse and skip bottles whenever you're with LO.  Like at bed time, you mention you nurse to top off, I would think skip that bottle and just nurse.  Then that saves a bottle to use for during the day later.  I'm sure you must have a reason you do the bottle at bed time though. 
  • @delujm0, unless you know your OBGYN is very pro-breastfeeding and very knowledgeable about it, I'd lean more towards seeing a lactation consultant.  Lactation consultant specialize in helping with breastfeeding issues, while it seems breastfeeding is more of a side note for doctors.  If you're in the US and you see a lactation consultant, you can see about having your OBGYN give you a referral so you can see about having it covered by insurance (also make sure the lactation consultant is in your network if you want to get it covered).  I had a very positive experience with seeing a lactation consultant.

• Joannagoddard.blogspot.com just had a post about a service called something like Doctors on Demand. You basically do a video/skype call with a doctor. Lactation consultants are also on the list of available caregivers - and she posted a code so your first consultation is free. 
  • @enigmaticjj thank you for the advice! that's exactly what i started doing this week, and it has been less stressful, i feel like my supply is coming back.
  • Joannagoddard.blogspot.com just had a post about a service called something like Doctors on Demand. You basically do a video/skype call with a doctor. Lactation consultants are also on the list of available caregivers - and she posted a code so your first consultation is free. 
    Teladoc is another service like that.  Not sure if they have lactation consultants though.  Some employers offer those services so their employees with a discount.