Breastfeeding
Options

Mastitis - and now thrush. Only 15 days in.

i don't know how much more I can take before switching to formula. I've been supplementing 2-4 oz per day with formula and my baby is now exclusively bottle fed (I pump only). I got really bad advice when I took the little guy home 2 weeks ago that all he needed was colostrum. So we ended up in the hospital for 3 nights with suspected sepsis where they pumped him full of antibiotics and antivirals. I ended up getting mastitis while in the hospital with him, begged for a lactation consultant that never came and ended up seeing an OB for antibiotics. She also said I had been given the wrong size flanges and gave me the correct ones. To make a long story short, I can get my baby to latch and suck, but he doesn't get much and becomes frustrated and now outright rejects breastfeeding, but he'll still cuddle and root. We saw lactation on Monday, but they just shrugged since he's been gaining weight (yeah, I've been feeding him and making sure he's getting the correct amount of milk. But this morning it appears he has thrush, and my boobs still feel like they're being stabbed as usual. My nipples are fine. My husband isn't a big fan of breastfeeding now that we're facing reality. It sounds great on paper, but this is just getting ridiculous to live through. 

Re: Mastitis - and now thrush. Only 15 days in.

• Options
    I'm not sure if I understand. . . Did you pump since he's been born? Is that why you said it was bad advice that he only needed colostrum?
  • Options
    shotzieshotzie member
    edited February 2016
    I'm confused about the beginning part of your post too. It sounds like maybe LO was bf'ing, but not transferring colostrum/milk well, and that led to the hospital stay? 

Did you see an IBCLC on Mon? They are the LC's who are the most highly trained. I'd find one in your area and have them check baby for a tongue or lip tie. That can effect baby's ability to transfer milk from the breast. A baby does just need colostrum until your milk really comes in, but if baby isn't getting it out adequately, then you run into problems. 

That aside, it sounds like you may have thrush too, if you have shooting pains in your breasts. It's easy to pass it between baby and you, when bf'ing. The pedi can diagnose it and prescribe oral Nystatin for baby. Then hopefully you can just call your doc/OB and have them prescribe some for your breasts.

https://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I saw his pediatrician yesterday. He doesn't have tongue tie and is gaining weight and growing well, so I'm feeding him adequately now. I exclusively breast fed him until he was 4 days old, but when he was 3 days old, he became frustrated and rejected breastfeeding. That's when he was hospitalized for the fever, which was just dehydration from not getting anything from me. I was given a hospital grade pump and the wrong sized flanges in the hospital, requested an LC stop by (they are included free of charge in my insurance plan) and finally got one to show up a couple days later. By then, I had mastitis and walked over to OB to get antibiotics. My right breast doesn't produce much and all efforts to get more have failed. Baby will latch, but not suck much. The longest I got from him was 10 minutes. I still supplement with 2-4 oz of formula, it varies daily but remains in that range. I don't have thrush, the baby most likely got it from all the antibiotics they pumped through him waiting for the tests to come back. Thankfully, he's healthy. I got medicine for his thrush, hopefully that will go away soon. I was told not to start breastfeeding until his infection is gone. Most likely, we'll remain in the exclusive pumping crowd for as long as my milk hold out. I have to go back to work soon anyway. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry you guys have had such a rough start. Make sure you sterilize his bottles and nipples and paci's after each use until the thrush is gone. Hopefully things will get easier from here on out. If you try getting him back on the breast later, you could pump until your milk lets down and then latch him on. That way he won't get frustrated waiting for the milk to come. 
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    You keep getting bad advice too I'm so sorry!  You don't need to stop nursing because of thrush!  That's just going to effect your supply and demand. Just be sure you're both on meds, to make sure you don't keep passing it back and forth, and be sure to sterilize your pump parts and anything he sucks on (pacifier, teethers). I had it bad twice and it's awful but I got through it. It's so beneficial to stick with it and once everything evens out I think you'll enjoy the time together too, but if it's too much on your stress levels and body there's no shame in stopping. Just read up and get educated, arm yourself with good information and it'll help!! Good luck!
  • Options
    Sorry missed the bit about exclusively pumping, but rest remains relevant, good luck :)
  • Options
    We still "try" breastfeeding mostly in the evenings when it's really quiet. He's just not great at sucking. Does this with the bottles too. I have him on super low flow nipples that the hospital gave me and sometimes he gets frustrated with these too. He still roots and has now lost interest in his paci in the last couple of days. Not sure why, he was crazy about it last week. 
  • Options
    c/p 4/1/11

MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    I just read the article. Thanks for the link! Last night, he latched, but would only suck for 2 min then pushed me away and cried for his bottle. 
  • Options
    I had ductal thrush and it was painful. Deep burning pain. I took diflucan for 30 days and used nystain cream and it did not go away. I then read about grape fruit seed oil. I mixed it with some water and applied it with a cotton ball to my nipples every couple hours or whenever I remembered and within 2 days it was significantly better and resolved completely after about 5 days. Highly recommend it! The oil is potent so mix with water and I moisturized the nipples with vitamin d oil. I was also told not to use disposable nursing pads and to wash everything that comes in contact with your breasts with hot water and bleach otherwise it will just keep coming back.  I read that grape fruit seed oil can also be used in laundry and was just as effective as Clorox...crazy...
  • Options
    I actually don't have nipple thrush, just baby. He's much better with the medication the Dr. prescribed. I've only used washable pads. I even made some myself. I've got more on order since I go through multiple sets per day. Interesting about the grapefruit seed oil. I will remember that in case I need it.
  • Options
    @Knottie4978096 .... how are yall now
  • Options
    I always heard if baby has thrush and you BF then you have thrush too. You can have it without having symptoms. I'd treat both baby and myself if I were you. I hope everything's going well!
    BabyFetus Ticker