March 2016 Moms
Options

BreastMilkHelp!

I want to breast feed, but I want to freeze my breast milk. I know nothing about breast milk and how long it last if I freeze it in the baggies, how long will it last? And if I don't freeze it and I just store it in the fridge how long does it last? And is there anything I need to know about freezing breast milk that's important lol 

Re: BreastMilkHelp!

• Options
    smushi said:
    Here is a helpful breakdown for milk storage and how long it lasts.  Kellymom is great storehouse of knowledge for breastfeeding.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/
    I sign this! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was taught it's the rule of sevens. Breast milk lasts 7 hours left out. 7 days in the fridge, and 7 months in the freezer. Always date them so you aren't feeding baby spoiled breast milk!
  • Options
    Kellymom is the best source on the Internet. I don't know how people BF'ed before it.
  • Options
    Unless you have to go back to work right away, don't worry about freezing at first. Focus instead on getting BFing down. Then after several weeks, start pumping and freezing. I second @smushi on her recommendation. Good luck!
    smushi said:
    Here is a helpful breakdown for milk storage and how long it lasts.  Kellymom is great storehouse of knowledge for breastfeeding.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/
    THIS AND THAT :)

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    Thank you ladies
  • Options
    I got this magnet at babies r us 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was told by doctors when I delivered 3-4 days in the fridge, 6 months in freezer, 12 months in a deep freezer. 
  • Options
    I like the rule of 7... that's a good one.. deep freeze can go up to 12 months though...
    And having Btdt. .. opening a bottle of sketchy milk from fridge... you'll know... YUCK 
  • Options
    Also - it was sort of inefficient from an environmental perspective but if you freeze everything in 4oz quantities in freezer bags or even a few 2oz bags (I went through seriously a million freezer bags) then you're able to pull out one at a time and only defrost exactly what you need. Do NOT freeze large 8-16oz quantities that you might have to waste!