March 2016 Moms

*All Things Birth/Labor*

12346»

Re: *All Things Birth/Labor*

• It can be like the movies. Mine was. But pay special attention to any extra fluid down there. I'm not the norm. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I just learned this today...it depends on where the sac breaks. If it's at the bottom you get the gush, but if it's on the side you get the trickle. Thought it was interesting.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine was definitely like the movies for ds1 but it was on the toilet so not too dramatic.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I just hope my water does not break like in the movies, especially in front of my class full of 3rd graders. I am not sure how I would explain that one.
  • katy0990 said:
    I just hope my water does not break like in the movies, especially in front of my class full of 3rd graders. I am not sure how I would explain that one.
    Same here. I have a class of 5th graders and it's mostly boys haha. 
  • Anyone dilated or effaced at all? Due March 15th and went to the doctor today and she said I was 3 cm dilated and 60% effaced
  • What is the point in timing contractions? Won't I know when to go to the hospital? I seem to be having 3 different kinds of contractions: the tightening feeling, the period-like cramp feeling, and the gassy-I-think-i-need-to-poop feeling. Which ones do I time? If I time all "contraction feelings" they're about 4-7 minutes apart and some hurt worse than others but they don't seem to be "progressively" worse, just sporadically worse. Is there any harm in just waiting it out rather than timing? I haven't seen bloody showor waters break. I think I just want to go to sleep and see what happens. 

• What is the point in timing contractions? Won't I know when to go to the hospital? I seem to be having 3 different kinds of contractions: the tightening feeling, the period-like cramp feeling, and the gassy-I-think-i-need-to-poop feeling. Which ones do I time? If I time all "contraction feelings" they're about 4-7 minutes apart and some hurt worse than others but they don't seem to be "progressively" worse, just sporadically worse. Is there any harm in just waiting it out rather than timing? I haven't seen bloody showor waters break. I think I just want to go to sleep and see what happens. 

The point of timing them is to see if they become closer together. If they start at 8 mins apart and continue to come closer together and more intense feeling, that's a good sign that you're in labor and should call your doctor. If you lay down and drink water and the contractions slow down or go away, it's most likely just BH. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Anyone dilated or effaced at all? Due March 15th and went to the doctor today and she said I was 3 cm dilated and 60% effaced
    I've been at 1cm and 50% effaced for the past two weeks, and -2 station. I'm due March 11th.  You never know if that means it's coming soon or if you'll just be at 3cm for weeks still, but I would guess maybe you'll be early? 
  • FTM here, I'm 36 weeks. At 32 I was measuring 36 weeks. At 34 weeks w we discovered baby was 6pounds 10oz. Doctor said I won't last long enough to make my due date. Random ppl see me and also tell me she is coming because my tummy is extremely low. I'm concerned. I thought FTM are never early....any advice? 
  • Hay @missporshaoneal its a bit of a generalisation, in general first babies tend to come a bit late, but not always!  Everybody is so different, no woman and no two pregnancies are the same. My SIL was had number one on the due date (only happens in approx 10% of all pregnancies) and number two was 10 days late! They come when they feel like it :smile: 
  • @missporshaoneal  I can relate. I am 37 w 5 d and 2 weeks ago the baby was estimated at 7 lbs 6 oz. everyone comments on how low baby is and how it will be here any day now. My coworkers are always surprised to see me. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I would love to meet him or her early and hope everyone is right.
  • @missporshaoneal To add my 2 cents - My baby was measured at around 34 weeks during the 32 weeks ultrasound but everyone has been telling me that my belly is small and high. Just went to the dr this morning (currently at 34 weeks 6 days) and dr said there is never a true indication of when the baby will come out based on how high or low the tummy is, or how big or small the tummy looks.  She did say that with second time pregnancy, most of the time the cervix will dilate a little earlier, but that doesn't mean the baby will come out right away.  My last pregnancy, every told me my tummy is high too and DD came out 10 days early (7lbs 6oz).  Just go by the contraction when it happens.  Don't get stressed out over people's comments because they really mean nothing most of the time. 
  • your due date  could have been miscalculated. im sure if hes over 6lbs youll have a healthy baby and itll be safe to deliver. good luck!
  • Can some one help me, I'm just wondering if it's possible for your amniotic fluid rise from 2.89 to 10cm in a week? I hve a scan Friday to see if these have rose other wise I will be induced. I'm 37 weeks and 5 days. Thanks in advance 
  • I think everything is possible but at this stage is highly unlikely. Depends on why it was low in the first place. Also why do you need it to be at 10? After 36 weeks amniotic fluid levels naturally start to decrease. 
    imageimage

• I am not really sure how this works, I never post on here, but I am curious if anyone has been told they had a small pelvis and delivered vaginally? Or if you tried to deliver vaginally but ended up having to have a csection because baby would not fit through birth canal? 
  • I have quite a big healthy baby weighing around 7.10 lbs but fluid is very low, the Doctora have wrote in my notes to induce at 38 weeks if levels are lower then 10cm. I'm 38 weeks tomorrow 
  • Personally, I would probably fight that 10 cm thing. I was at 9.6cm at 35 weeks and that was considered more than adequate. Fluid levels go down naturally after 34-36 weeks. But sounds like yours were very low at last check. Read this at evidencebasedbirth.com: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/what-is-the-evidence-for-induction-for-low-fluid-at-term-in-a-healthy-pregnancy/
    I believe there's a link there to a good evidence based article about inductions for low fluid only. 
    imageimage

• Dr. said it all depends how much the pelvis expands during labor. you wont really know until its happening. But big babies have come out of tiny women so theres hope for both of us =)
  • I am a FTM (39 weeks 5 days) and had my OB strip my membrane at our appointment yesterday morning.  I was only between 2 and 3 CM dilated but have since been spotting, lost my mucous plug (around 6pm) and *think I've at least started early labor.  Contractions from my back through my belly, 30 - 45 seconds long every 20 minutes through the night. 

However, now that it's morning, I feel like the contractions have dulled and they are further apart rather than closer together!

Is there a way to pick things back up again?!?  I thought we were working our way towards the finish line and now it seems baby boy has changed his mind!  I got so excited about meeting him today/tomorrow that I don't think I'll have the patience to wait if he decides not to come!
  • I give this advice all the time but have sex. If you are that close it should be enough to put you back into labor. And when the contractions start up again try waking. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second sex and walking. My contractions had fizzled out and I did both the 2 days after a strip and it picked them back up and put me into labor. 
  • Nipple stimulation put me into labor with two of mine when I was that close. You might have to do it for awhile though!

• I dont know about sex, but walking helped me i think! Stairs if you can find them. I had a stretch and sweep in the morning and spent most of the day wandering around was allowed out of the hospital for the evening and after a few trips up and down the stairs at home my waters broke pretty epically!