March 2016 Moms
Options

*All Things Birth/Labor*

Re: *All Things Birth/Labor*

• Options
    My labor was quick enough to where I didn't get hungry, but I did want some extra energy towards the end, so I had a honey stick and tried to eat a granola bar, but that made me a little nauseous. If I were hungry, I wouldn't hesitate to eat something light and easily digestible. I'd also donkey kick anyone that tried to stop me lol. Here's a good article on the subject.
    https://www.asahq.org/about-asa/newsroom/news-releases/2015/10/eating-a-light-meal-during-labor
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Options
    @blueeyedrose86 I was just about to post that article! The main reason for it is on the off chance you need emergency surgery...but they are finding that it almost never happens now so the rule is outdated. I expect that they will change policy slowly over the next several years.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Both times I've brought electrolyte drink and granola bars. I've needed them.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    Bananas!!! And my doula also brings along these awesome energy balls she makes.

@cmerribury after #1 I soaked thru towel after towel every night for weeks! Thankfully I didn't have that level of swelling with the other kids but OMG your description is no lie haha!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options

Oh, I just thought of a random thing "to know" for after delivery. I remember waking up my first night home in drenched sheets wondering what was going on, if I was sick, etc.

Apparently if you swell a lot at the end, your body gets rid of the excess fluid while you are sleeping in the form of the most severe night sweats known to man. So, consider sleeping on towels for a night or two.

that and leaky boobs!
  • Options
    1. You won't need panties! I loved having my boppy pillow and personal pillow.
    2. He can leave, especially if your mom is there to keep you company and hold LO while you get to take a much needed nap!
    3. I called my dr just to let them know I was on the way.
    4. It will just depend on your labor. Once my water broke my contractions were immediately awful (really bad back labor) and there is no way I would have been able to drive at that point.
  • Options
    @FutureMrsCaesar and @cmerribury - when you say to soak pads in witch hazel and freeze them, are you talking about sanitary pads, or those cotton pads that are like flattened out cotton balls?  When they melt, how does it not leak all over your clothes/underwear?  Sorry - FTM here and just trying to figure out the logistics of some of this stuff!
  • Options
    Sanitary pads. I actually don't have an answer to the melting question. It's just what my best friend suggested. I haven't actually tried it yet. At my hospital they gave me something similar, it was one of those "break and it gets cold" packs, but pad shaped. It had a little sleeve that it slid into. I don't remember it getting too wet, but I was also beyond caring at that point!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    At the hospital I liked when they would fill a newborn diaper with ice and have me put it on my crotch, that felt really good and helped with the swelling for the first day or two. I would put inside the mesh panties for a while. They always have you laying on some kind of pad or towel in the hospital bed so leaking is no issue.
    At home I would put a sanitary liner soaked in witch hazel in the freezer. I don't think I used any huge giant ones, just average sized and I'd layer it on top of a dry larger overnight type pad that was already in my undies. You can't leave them in all that long,and they don't melt like Popsicles or anything, it gets a little damp but nothing too bad. I only really had to do this the first few days home, it wasn't for weeks on end. Toward the end of the stitches (they dissolve) I found a sitz bath or just sitting in a couple of Inches of water in my tub to be helpful.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you are more likely to tear the second time if you were cut the first time? Also is your recovery time considerably smaller if you don't need stitches?
    imageimage

• Options
    mshukh said:

Does anyone know if you are more likely to tear the second time if you were cut the first time? Also is your recovery time considerably smaller if you don't need stitches?

I wasn't cut the first time, but I did tear pretty badly. Second time I did not tear and recovery was fairly quick compared with the first time.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    I tore the first time and not the second time too. I thought recovery was WAY easier and better the second time. I didn't realize how much what hurt the first time was from the stitches. I was a little sore after, but didn't use ice packs and take pain relievers for days like I did the first time.

• Options
    @skruhmin & @kh1824 Best. News. Ever.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I tore along my episiotomy site with the 2nd baby. Even so, the recovery was SO much less painful. With my 3rd I only needed one stitch and it was even easier yet. However tearing vs being cut was a much easier recovery, could have also has somethig to do with the fact that I pushed for 1.5 hrs with my first and only like 5 mins with the other's.
  • Options
    I think at the hospital with my first one they wrapped them with plastic wrap. And you're wearing a big pad so I think if any melts it will just be absorbed. I know mine were rolled pretty tight at the hospital, so I am guessing they sort of wring out as you roll, so it won't be sopping wet.
  • Options
    I felt that way, for sure, @yodapup!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Yes very very true. Total marathon sessions and you feel like a large boob.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    i had a 3rd degree tear with my first, and didnt tear with my second at all. had a tiny tear with my third that only needed a couple of sutures. never had an episiotomy, but i don't sign the consent form for it either.
    totally agree about the clusterfeeeding!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    Alright ladies, I'm setting out my hospital bag. What are some things I'm going to want to bring along?
  • Options
    @2goofykidsThat alone could probably warrant its own thread :)  You'll get a lot of varying answers.
  • Options
    Throw some non-perishable snacks in there for sure, if doing it this early. For you and for DH.
    *TTC since July 2010

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

• Options
    I am not sure if this was mentioned... But I am worrying myself crazy about what my 2 year old dd will do while I am in the hospital! Obviously she can come visit, but I'm more worried about the nights away from me. I have to get a scheduled csection as none of my Drs are comfortable with me trying vbac with the complications I had having my dd. so I know I'll be in the hospital at least 2 nights and my dd has never been away from me more than 4 hours! I feel the best person to be with her is my husband , but I feel I need him with me... At least the first night since I am worried about my recovery from the c section. Any thoughts!? Should I just have my hubby stay with me and have my friends stay with my dd as they said they would? I just don't want dd too overwhelmed. Or my friend also offered to stay with me in the hospital to help. Sorry I feel like I'm rambling! But any thoughts or experiences would help! Thanks ladies!
    View Full Size Image
    Happily Married 7/2011
    DD Born 8/2013
    Baby Due July/2015(Loss Dec2014)
    Baby #2 Due March/2016

• Options
    @evemadalyn I've been feeling the same way recently, I don't know if it's hormones or what, but I'm flipping out about leaving DS3 for 2 (hopefully not more) days.  He is in a super clingy phase right now which I love, but I think it's going to make it really hard on him when I have to be gone, so I'm hoping the phase passes by the time the baby comes.  From my experience, it will be FINE, but right now  I'm having a hard time believing that!
    I would however have your DH stay at home with her, or at least be at home to put her to bed and be there in the morning when she wakes up.  You really don't 'need' him at the hospital because the Drs and nurses are plenty capable of taking care of you, but your DD really does need him at home.  If he stays home with your DD at night do NOT be afraid to send the baby to the nursery for a few hours, even if your breastfeeding, they'll be happy to bring him/her to you when he's hungry and you need to be able to get some rest.  I made that mistake when I sent DH home to take care of DS1 when DS2 was born, the 2nd night he was wide awake and fussy and I got 0 sleep, so when I went home the next day I was already beyond ehausted.
    On one hand It's nice that you are being scheduled for a c-section so that you can really plan your DDs care down to a T.  I'm going crazy thinking of all of our different schedules during the week (DS1 is in 1st grade + sports, DS2 has preschool and on some days lunch bunch and afternoon specials) everyones lunch needs and pickup drop off times change drastically day to day.  I have no idea how someone else is going to handle that while I'm giving birth.  Honestly once the baby is here I don't think I'll see too much of DH because the kids will need him at home, my parents just aren't cut out to deal with that chaos (I'm an only child for a reason, or so they tell me all.the.time).
  • Options
    @FutureMrsCaesar, thanks so much for the input!! I am definitely leaning toward having hubby stay with her! I just had an awful recovery with my last c section ( which was an emergency after 18+hrs of labor and an infection). Plus you're not allowed to get up for 12 hours after the surgery... From what I remember. My hospital doesn't have a nursery anymore either...as they really want baby and momma to bond. When my dd was born I was in hospital 5 days and the longest they took her away was for 3 hours and that was only because I hadn't slept for like 3 days and was delirious...so this is why I feel it's important to have someone with me to help at least get the baby too me so I can breast feed. Last time it took like 5 minutes for me to get out of bed and walk each time...But who knows! Maybe this recovery will be much easier, I've heard scheduled c sections recovery is a lot better! So I'm hoping!!!! I wish you lots of luck with your little ones when this baby comes!!!
    View Full Size Image
    Happily Married 7/2011
    DD Born 8/2013
    Baby #2 Due March/2016

• Options
    @evemadalyn wow sorry you had such a rough experience the first time around, that sounds awful!  I'm sure this time will go much more smoothly but I can see why you'd want someone there, especially if the nurses aren't as attentive as they should be.  Hopefully a friend or family member can stay with you so your DH can be with your DD!  Honestly it will all work out and won't be that bad, but for now, deep breaths!!!
  • Options
    @evemadalyn maybe consider setting your DD up for a super fun sleepover with family or friends in February or the end of this month and see how it goes. Maybe you and your hubby can have some alone time before baby comes. Kids are really adaptable at this age, she might have all sorts of fun. If it goes badly then you can make alternate arrangements.
    It might be less stressful and easier on you if DH can stay with you and new baby at the hospital. If DD has a rough time with someone else watching her at your house then you have enough time to find a friend or family stay with you.
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies! That does sound like a great idea! I might ask my friends and my sister in law if they'd be willing to do a trial sleepover soon! I'll probably miss my dd more than she'll miss me!
    View Full Size Image
    Happily Married 7/2011
    DD Born 8/2013
    Baby #2 Due March/2016

• Options
    @evemadalyn our little guy does great both at home and at his grandparents but for 2-3 days I'm sure she'd be more comfortable in her own surroundings.
    But yeah it's harder on the parents. Last time I cried (stupid hormones) despite him being 3 blocks away!
  • Options
    kitteh81 said:

I want to eat all of those cervix. (Cervi? Cervixes?)

Even the penny?? O.o
    *TTC since July 2010

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

• Options

kitteh81 said:

I want to eat all of those cervix. (Cervi? Cervixes?)

Even the penny?? O.o
    Pica?
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Mmmmmmmm Oreos. The good news is you actually don't feel yourself dilating (unless you count contractions, but I've never felt my cervix stretching).
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Yea, I totally bought Oreos tonight. Thanks @charley15 ;) And they were good!