December 2015 Moms

Breastfeeding advice, questions, ect

Re: Breastfeeding advice, questions, ect

• @groovylocks I always know if Nico is getting hind milk by the color of his poop. If it's yellow, I know he's getting enough of it. If it's green, he's not. 

I *think* that's the way to tell. If not, someone school me please!
  • @calbin00 That's pretty much it. As well that's where the lovely fat and calories is so they'll struggle more with gaining weight. I also have some idea by expressing a little when she's done. If it's a richer looking white mill I know she was at least getting some at the end since fore milk is thin and greyish looking.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Mizuiro007 so I have the Milkies milk saver and I know I have some frozen that are only from my milk saver..and as of yesterday I am a little worried about these because there will be no hind milk in them. A lot of them I tried to mix with pumped milk but I know some are not. Wondering if it will be a waste that she won't get full on. Occasionally her poo is green and I have wondered about that. Now that she's down to once or twice daily pooing it's always been yellow. But then again I feed her all the time so she should be getting all kinds of milk, ha. 
  • @dmendo01 if you know which containers those are you could always save to mix with cereal or homemade baby food instead of water when the time comes
  • Does anyone have experience with an overly enthusiastic eater? I always nurse Henry at the first sign of hunger so I know he isn't too hungry or frustrated. But lately he's been launching himself at my boob mouth wide open and latches on like a vice-grip. He squeezes my breast so hard when he's eating that he breaks the skin with his nails, he is constantly wriggling and kicking. It isn't frustrating for me or anything, but it's like I'm nursing an octopus. Sometimes I try to swaddle him but he head butts me repeatedly until he latches. He gets distracted and looks all around taking my nipple with him. I don't think it's gas because he doesn't show any ther signs and he isn't fussy at all, in fact he's all smiles and giggles starting as soon as he sees the boob. Someone please tell me this is a phase. My breasts are sore from the abuse. Lol
  • @dmendo01 I'm not certain on that one although I think @bev4242 had a great idea. I use my milk saver when I pump and just mix it in with what I pumped. Maybe if you combine what you collect in a day so there's hind milk there? I've mostly only heard it as an issue when they're nursing because they get all formula starting out and don't get to the hind milk right away. With bottles it's mixed through. 
  • Questions: I've watched a tone of pace bottle feeding videos and we tried this in the beginning but she seemed to get so much hair and would spit up a tone. With her having issues at the breast lately I was thinking of trying again but doesn't the baby suck in a lot of air? 
  • @kdoak2015 With DD we use the peemie nipples with Dr Brown's and it's still too fast. I haven't actually looked at pace feeding but we angle the bottle to there's just enough milk in the nipple to cover the hole at all times but the nipple isn't completely full. It seems to slow the flow without her getting air.
  • @kdoak2015 we have to stop to burp DD a lot with the bottle. She drinks like she's never eaten before with the bottle. Dr. Browns are the best so far, but we haven't mastered it either.
  • I keep reading how awesome nursing in the side lying position is for sleep so I'm going to give it a whirl but I have a question for you all, do you feed both sides without turning over or how does that work? 
  • I have to stop and flip. I also can't really nurse in that position if my boob is really full. The weight of it makes it difficult. Also, I don't think DD really likes to cuddle that much. But, I can get some light snoozing in while she nurses, which is awesome. 
  • @preggoandglowing I accomplished that exactly once(both sides w/o turning) and it was so uncomfortable, it completely negated any relaxing effects of the position...my body just didn't contort that way. I do love the sidelying position though.  I usually only nurse this way in the MOTN and she's so sleepy it's easy to just kind of slide her over and turn in between sides. Word of advice if you have nice sheets- put a burp cloth under LO's head on the bed. Maybe DD is just a big dribbler but she makes quite a puddle!
  • @preggoandglowing I accomplished that exactly once(both sides w/o turning) and it was so uncomfortable, it completely negated any relaxing effects of the position...my body just didn't contort that way. I do love the sidelying position though.  I usually only nurse this way in the MOTN and she's so sleepy it's easy to just kind of slide her over and turn in between sides. Word of advice if you have nice sheets- put a burp cloth under LO's head on the bed. Maybe DD is just a big dribbler but she makes quite a puddle!
    Why didn't I think of just sliding over LO?! Duh!! I usually move him to my other side. Sliding is so much more efficient. Lol 
  • @preggoandglowing I block feed so only feed on one side but it isn't too bad to switch sides after burping. The way I've done it with switchino sides when I need to though is either prop baby up on a firm pillow closer to even with my other breast so I don't have to roll over. Although I find it easiest just to hug baby to my chest with one arm as I roll to back and onto my other side. Also, yes, absolutely have a burp cloth under baby's head. No one wants to end up sleeping in a wet spot.
  • I can nurse both sides while side lying without moving but it isn't the most comfortable. Usually like pp I side her over and flip over her. Sometimes I cuddle her to me and flip over with her if she's awake. She sleeps through motn feedings most of the time though. 
  • I can't use cabbage leaves to help with my weaning off BFing (apparently if you're allergic to sulfa you can't) -- any other tips to relieve pressure? Frozen veggies work for anyone? As of right now I'm down to BFing my LO only 2 times a day. I'm nervous to stop completely in case I develop mastitis or a clogged duct and the pain that will come with that - is that a real concern I should have? Any other tips from ladies that have stopped?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • @escapee I did a slow wean with DS and never had issues with mastitis. The best thing I found that helped was pressure. I switched to snug fitting sports bras. You can use cold packs instead of the cabbage leafs. There was a thread here fairly recently that suggested antihistamines and peppermint oil to help as well.
  • Mastitis and clogged ducts are a concern. Breast massage and warm compresses should help. Benadryl helps dry up supply. If you feel engorged, you can pump or hand express, but be sure to just do it for relief. Don't empty the breast.
  • @esscapelle second the Benadryl and add Claritin it will help
  • I tried to give LO a bottle of breastmilk today and he refused it yet he was hungry. He takes one bottle of formula a day without an issue. Any idea why he will take formula but not breastmilk in a bottle?
  • @scientificunicorns It maybe as simple as taste. He might take a bottle of breastmilk easier with his formula mixed in. We found this with my first even still. We have to use different types of cups depending on what we're giving him or he won't take it even if it's something he likes. I think it's the expectation. I know it's shocking to me when I take a drink of what I'm certain is coke but turns out to be root beer.
  • @scientificunicorns It maybe as simple as taste. He might take a bottle of breastmilk easier with his formula mixed in. We found this with my first even still. We have to use different types of cups depending on what we're giving him or he won't take it even if it's something he likes. I think it's the expectation. I know it's shocking to me when I take a drink of what I'm certain is coke but turns out to be root beer.
    Good analogy! I don't think he even tasted it
    though. He acted like I was choking him. It was weird. Maybe I'll try mixing in some formula. I'm just worried about when he starts daycare next week!
  • Maybe he can smell the milk and knows it isn't coming from you. Have you tried having someone else give it to him without you in the room?
  • Maybe he can smell the milk and knows it isn't coming from you. Have you tried having someone else give it to him without you in the room?
    I tried to have a friend give it to him and he wouldn't drink it but maybe it's because I was standing nearby. I wish I was confident enough to whip out my boobs and feed him anywhere. 
  • Has anyone tried paced bottle feeding for giving their baby pumped milk?  I go back to work 2-3 half days a week and am worried about keeping up with DS and him preferring bottle over me.   Right now he gets a bottle a couple times a week if someone else has him.  He usually wants 5-6 ounces each bottle!  I'm worried he's going to get used to that and not want to nurse.   I ordered preemie nipples for our avent natural bottles and DH will try paced feeding this weekend but wanted to see if anyone had tried it and had suggestions. 
  • @kksquared we are trying pace feeding now after DD guzzled through 6 oz (!!!) of my pumped milk when DH gave her a bottle. I would never keep up. We are using dr browns with a premie nipple. So far it's gone ok. She screams and freaks out each time he pulls the nipple down like your supposed to, but she's also just started bottle feeding at all. She'll take one but not happily. It does seem to be working with reducing the amount she's taking, but she sometimes still wants to nurse afterwards. Hopefully it will improve with practice because she starts daycare in two weeks.

now I'm wondering if a day care center would practice pace feeding?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @breezypip I don't know if a daycare would do it or not?  My mom and MIL will be watching him so they are going to try it.  How much does she take in a bottle with the paced bottle feeding?
  • So far we've only offered 2 oz as practice. One time she was satisfied and one time wanted to nurse not too long afterwards so she probably could have taken more.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD puts away 6 ounces of a bottle in minutes. It's crazy. Then still wants to nurse, but I can pump 6 ounces in 3 hours of not feeding her so maybe she's taking that much? We try to slow her down but it's difficult. She also starts going to a sitter in a week and I'm stressed my milk is going to be gone through quickly 
  • tesarytesary member
    edited February 2016
    I have heard a good rule of thumb for pace feeding is 1 ounce for every 1.5 hours baby is away from mom.
    https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
  • The big thing is making sure you're giving baby time to register that they are full. DD wants to guzzle as quickly as possible with a bottle too. The biggest bottle we've given is 3 oz. I usually aim for 2.5 oz and I have 1 oz bags that my mom can defrost if she has to. Typically my mom gives her the 2.5 and then burps her real good (could also try burping in the middle of the bottle just to help slow down) and then gives her a pacifier and holds her face kind of against her chest like she's nursing. Most times it seems to help. 

Whatever you can do to slow the feeding down. Most babies drink about 25 oz of milk a day, even at 6 months. Some can drink as much as 30-36, but you don't want to stretch their bellies without having an idea if slowing the process down would work.
  • So I am about to go back to work and I have quite a bit of milk in the freezer but just wondering how you guys typically prepare it for daycare/sitter for any mommas that went back to work? My thought is to thaw out several ounces and maybe leave in the medela storage bottles and then take one actual bottle to feed with that she can pour from the medela bottles and warm then? The only problem at first is not knowing how much she will go through since essentially she's been nursed on demand. 
  • My LO stays with my mom so I just leave the bags in the fridge so they can finish thawing and she pours them in the bottle when it's time for him to eat. 

Since you don't know how much your LO is eating why don't you try giving her a bottle with a certain amount and see how much she eats? My LO is 10 weeks and we give him 4.5 oz. He's been getting that amount for a few weeks now. 
  • @calbin00 well that's the problem she would guzzle down whatever I give her. My best guess is 5 ounces. My friend is watching her tomorrow for 6 hours so we will see how it goes. It's a trial for the baby sitter. 
  • @dmendo01 I'm having the same issue and concerns. DD feeds on demand all day, and it's pretty constant, so I'm really concerned with how it translates to bottle feeding. We're trying pace feeding and so far it's going ok. Let us know how it goes for your friend.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • dmendo01 said:
    @calbin00 well that's the problem she would guzzle down whatever I give her. My best guess is 5 ounces. My friend is watching her tomorrow for 6 hours so we will see how it goes. It's a trial for the baby sitter. 
    My LO will drink it all too but then doesn't want food for another three to four hours so I figure he's getting enough. It's hard trying to figure it out though! I hope it goes well tomorrow, a trial run is a great idea! 
  • dmendo01dmendo01 member
    edited February 2016
    So they gave her 6 ounces and then 2.5 hours later she took 3 ounces. So I made it back about 5.5 hours in and fed her a little before taking her home so I guess 9 ounces in almost 6 hours so I'll plan for that and then probably 1 more bottle worth 
  • So I wrote a few days ago about my baby girl getting fussy and latching and pulling off repeatedly at the breast. The issue has gotten worse and she has started just screaming at my boobs. She does it most often between breasts, but now she has started doing it before she starts the first breast of the feeding. I can tell she is hungry, and it happens on both breasts, so it's not a preference issue. She will root and scream but refuses to latch, or will latch and fall off over and over while screaming at me. It's soooooo frustrating! I want to help her but I can't latch for her and she is so unhappy with me. I can't feel my letdown so it's hard for me to judge if this is part of the problem, (too fast? Too slow?). Anybody dealing with this, or have any ideas what is going on here? She is six weeks old, and I am hoping this is just a phase, but it's killing me to hear her screaming in distress when all I want to do is fill her little belly. 
  • @mltarrio DD will be 10 weeks tomorrow and has recently started this.  I have two theories.  The first is frustration over a slow letdown, because she only does it later in the day and not in the morning when my boobs are exploding.  The other theory is reflux-related, because she does a burp swallow thing.  I'll let you know if we make progress.
  • @mltarrio do you have an LC you can consult with? I know that it kind of sounds like growth spurt/cluster feeding behavior, but if something else is going on an LC should be able to help.