September 2015 Moms

CIO success!

2»

Re: CIO success!

• Now we are going to argue about the names we are calling each other?  Wow....you've both said your piece, drop it.  If you want to argue about it more, take it to private messages.  I came on this thread to read about CIO, which I don't personally think I could do, but am open to seeing what others are doing.  Half of the thread is not even devoted to CIO, but to petty drama. 

I must also say that, to go onto a thread about a parenting method and to call the method "lazy" and "cruel", is an indirect personal attack on that person.  You may not be calling that person the things to their "face" but it is a backwards way of saying it.  Whether you meant to or not.  
  • Loading the player...
  • When reading all this, the weirdest part to me is just how different doctors can be!!! My LO has a young(early 40's) pedi who said to never let them CIO because you can't spoil a little baby. They aren't capable of manipulating. They cry at this age because they physically need touch, love, comfort, etc. he said CIO is a lot further down the road. And I didn't ask him about it, he came out and told me this information. I just can't believe OP doctor said her LO could cry it out for hours?!?! Wow. That is just heartbreaking to me that (not OP) some people let their tiny babies cry it out for hours?? Poor babies. 
  • I'm sorry why would you want to see your baby upset and then walk away and leave it. It's cruel and I really don't agree with it at all. Breaks my heart when my babies cry, give them a cuddle. It's just wrong 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    When reading all this, the weirdest part to me is just how different doctors can be!!! My LO has a young(early 40's) pedi who said to never let them CIO because you can't spoil a little baby. They aren't capable of manipulating. They cry at this age because they physically need touch, love, comfort, etc. he said CIO is a lot further down the road. And I didn't ask him about it, he came out and told me this information. I just can't believe OP doctor said her LO could cry it out for hours?!?! Wow. That is just heartbreaking to me that (not OP) some people let their tiny babies cry it out for hours?? Poor babies. 
    I was thinking the same thing! Our pediatrician said to not even think about CIO until after 6 months. That's what the pediatrician we had for our older three said as well. Both are younger, maybe 35-40. I personally hate hearing my LO cry, and when he does he stops as soon as I pick him up, so I feel like he cries because he needs me (or dh). I might feel different if he cried no matter what, but at this point I can't imagine CIO being for us. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We used the Ferber method at our pediatricians recommendation after reading several books and research studies, and also after learning that our baby already knew how to sleep on his own at daycare.  Turns out we just weren't giving him the opportunity to use this skill at night because we were always trying to nurse or rock him to sleep.  The first night he complained (never fully cried) less than 15 minutes then slept through the night.  Now he smiles and giggles at us when we lay him down and he goes to sleep without a single fuss.  He is always happy in the morning, and is much less fussy during the day because he is well rested and no longer overtired.  Additionally, my husband and I have much more energy now to devote to LO and the whole family has benefitted.  Everyone always asks how we ended up with such a happy baby because he is always giggling and smiling.  I do not believe that the Ferber method caused any distress for our LO and I'm glad that it worked for us.  

That being said, I think every baby is different and as a parent you need to be in tune with when your child is developmentally ready for any kind of sleep training.  I also think you need to be able to distinguish between their types of cries so that you are not letting a baby fuss when they truly need you. I personally chose Ferber Method because you are still allowed to go in and reassure your baby after a timed interval, which I felt much more comfortable with. Ferber's book is also very logical and I felt like the method was a good fit for our family.
  • ChristaG22ChristaG22 member
    edited February 2016
    @CEW225- we both said we were done and haven't posted since last night.  Now not only are  you are contributing to the 'drama', but starting it up again.  If you wanted to tell me off, you could have sent a private message as well.  Oddly enough, you continued to add to the arguement and say just exactly what I've been saying. Confusing.
  • I agree that at 4 months, it's still to young to be doing CIO. 
    I did CIO with my daughter when she was closer to 9 months and I'll probably go this method with my son too so I'm clearly not against this method, but I don't agree that at this current age, it's an appropriate method. 
  • CIO isn't for everyone, but the SleepEasy Solution book worked wonders for our family. It's basically modified Ferber. After 4 days, my kids were sleeping 10.5-11 hours and waking up happy. It changed our whole lives. 
  • A lot of people are being really hateful. This works for her and her child. If you don't agree, move on. No one wants to be attacked. If you're being rude to a parent just trying to figure it out, you need to take a good look at yourself.
  • @backatac so glad I'm not the only one that watches Jane the virgin! Of all the shows about babies I feel like that one has been super accurate with what being a ftm is like in a lot of respects.. Nesting during pregnancy, breastfeeding, general new mom worries, etc..
  • @shelbydd yes!! I especially loved the one when she goes on the mommy blogs which I was thankful for because at the time I had no idea what DD DH DS SAHM etc meant haha
  • I could start a whole thread of my favorite Jane the Virgin quotes!
  • I love love Jane the Virgin! It's so cheesy at times it cracks me up. And I love watching her go through the same things I am. Ha!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • A lot of people are being really hateful. This works for her and her child. If you don't agree, move on. No one wants to be attacked. If you're being rude to a parent just trying to figure it out, you need to take a good look at yourself.
    @ellenlroberts if this were a question of purées vs BLW or cloth vs disposable diapers I agree with you. However, many moms believe CIO is child neglect and it is harmful to the babies. So they speak up. They're allowed to do that on an open, public forum. This is a very controversial subject, and anyone bringing it up (or vaccines or corporal punishment or any other heated topic) should expect some differing opinions.