May 2016 Moms

Sweet Tooth Support Group

13»

Re: Sweet Tooth Support Group

• I'm lurking here from the June board because I'm due June 3 so I might have a May baby. I haven't even attempted to keep my sugar habit in check because that usually just backfires for me. But I am definitely worried about gestational diabetes and/or large baby. I just try to eat plenty of fruits and veggies and protein (with limited success) and allow myself whatever else I am craving. Confession: last week I saw a picture of someone's donuts on Facebook so I had to go get myself a frosted donuts and donut holes.
  • I've mostly given up on trying to specifically avoid sugar and am just counting overall calories instead.

It ends up working out to be about the same. By the time I've hit my quotas on calcium/protein/fruits/vegetables, there's only enough wiggle room left for one "dessert" and a few pieces of chocolate anyway.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know I mentioned yogurt before, but specifically Flip Chobani yogurt is delicious! I comes with mixins that are usually a little sweet, but often include more protein like nuts as well. it really helps with my sweet tooth, while staying relatively healthy. I'm addicted to them, now!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @js8812 - Not great :( Not terrible, but just not as controlled as I want. I traveled for work and even though healthy food is available, but I get the whole, "I'm traveling, nothing counts!" mentality.
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited February 2016
    I agree with @lalala2004. Greek yogurt with nuts or fruit is great! It's been curbing my sweet cravings while still adding protein to my diet. I've found that honey roasted nuts also help as well as sour things. This week I've been much better about not breaking out the cookies right away. Here's hoping I have the resolve to make this streak last more than a few days! 
  • I know I mentioned yogurt before, but specifically Flip Chobani yogurt is delicious! I comes with mixins that are usually a little sweet, but often include more protein like nuts as well. it really helps with my sweet tooth, while staying relatively healthy. I'm addicted to them, now!
    I said this, but came home and had two Girl Scout cookies and a chocolate bar. Oops....
    *Siggy Warning*

• @lalala2004 I love the Chobani Flips.  Especially the coconut and key lime pie flavors.

@pascal86 I'm the same way when I travel.  It seems so much easier to "justify" when you're on the road for work.

I've been doing okay this week.  I try not to have too many sweet things other than fruit during the day.  I had a brownie last night that I could have done without, but it was delish.  I think I'm going to try and limit myself to 2-3 desserts per week.  Or try at least.  If I have a bunch fruit and other healthy snacks around it makes it a lot easier.
  • I haven't been doing that great in the sweets department and would love to be able to limit myself to 2-3 a week but for me limiting to 1 a day is enough of a challenge. The good news is that I passed my glucose test (with flying colors! got an 84) so at least I know my body can process all the sugar I'm throwing its way.
  • @babyfmama... I won't count things like one piece of chocolate, Chobani flips, or even peanut butter banana toast with some chocolate chips on it as a dessert. I'm thinking along the lines of limiting myself to 2-3 ice cream sundaes and the like.
  • js8812 said:
    @babyfmama... I won't count things like one piece of chocolate, Chobani flips, or even peanut butter banana toast with some chocolate chips on it as a dessert. I'm thinking along the lines of limiting myself to 2-3 ice cream sundaes and the like.
    okay that makes me feel better!
  • I have been craving flavoured milk like a mad person this last week. At least I get all the goodness from the milk, and it helps me to not want a dessert.
    But obviously there is some sugar in there - but it's better than having cake though?

Speaking of cake - my mom is doing a baking course this week and she has been bringing whole cakes home. She drops them off at my sister - my work partner - cause my mom and younger sister is on diet. Luckily so far I've been able to avoid eating them when I go there cause the first one was cheese cake (unbaked) and the second one had raw egg (unbaked). DH is loving it though! 
  • LadySamLadyLadySamLady member
    edited February 2016
    I'm doing so-so. For the most part I've avoided sweets in the evenings, but still having 1-2 sweet treats during the day. I just picked up lunch and couldn't resist stopping for artisan mini donuts at this place called the Doughnuttery...they're heaven.

Edited to add the picture because they are that amazing 
  • @LadySamLady - that picture is so helpful in getting me to eat less sugar...

My big news is that my husband finally bought me my giant thing of Costco jelly beans that he gets me every year kind of for Christmas, but waits until they're on sale. I kept telling myself that when he gets it for me, I'm going to pace myself and just eat one serving a day and make that my main treat. We'll see how that goes... haven't opened them yet!
  • @LadySamLady Don't tempt me with that cute little donut!

@Pascal86 That's impressive.  I have horrible self control when something is easily accessible to me.
  • @js8812 - Don't be impressed yet... he gave them to me last night right after I ate a cookie, and usually I can resist candy in the morning... once they're opened and I've had my lunch, that's when the real test of willpower comes! Obviously not setting myself up for success here, but making a moderate effort.
  • Sorry @Pascal86 & @js8812 I was all jacked up on sugar!!
  • I am doing okay. I eat mostly health during the day and have a "dessert" or two at night. But only until the cupcakes and cookies are gone! Then I will be better. lol

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • I had so many sugar cookie fruit pizzas today at lunch that I got the WORST headache when I got home. The thought of sugar makes me
    want to throw up now. Im hoping the avoidance stays after the headache leaves. 
  • Baked goods are my kryptonite.
  • I packed up the rest of the chocolate in the house and sent it with DH to take to work today. Now I just need to not buy more. We'll see how this goes.
  • I decided to take up the advice to get some of the flips yogurts... Of course my store has to go and have a limited edition one with mint chocolate cookies (think thin mints), dark chocolate chunks, and white chocolate peppermint chunks. So that plan kinda backfired. At least to compensate I did get some of the healthier ones too. At least it's yogurt right? :|
  • edited February 2016
    somewhat on-topic since my sugar habit has caused me to gain more weight than I should...last night I had a moment of panic when the dress I was trying on would NOT come off. I knew it was tight when I pulled it over my chest...I thought I was going to have to get the dressing room attendant to cut it off me, and this was not a maternity store so they aren't used to crazy pregnant ladies.
  • dsmith211 said:
    I decided to take up the advice to get some of the flips yogurts... Of course my store has to go and have a limited edition one with mint chocolate cookies (think thin mints), dark chocolate chunks, and white chocolate peppermint chunks. So that plan kinda backfired. At least to compensate I did get some of the healthier ones too. At least it's yogurt right? :|
    OMG I want those so bad!
    *Siggy Warning*

• dsmith211 said:
    I decided to take up the advice to get some of the flips yogurts... Of course my store has to go and have a limited edition one with mint chocolate cookies (think thin mints), dark chocolate chunks, and white chocolate peppermint chunks. So that plan kinda backfired. At least to compensate I did get some of the healthier ones too. At least it's yogurt right? :|
    OMG I want those so bad!
    I'm going to be honest... It was pretty amazing. They had a bunch more at my store so I plan on stocking up.