March 2016 Moms

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• @tJaffe I too had those moment with DS and even now I get a little of the same

@RiverWhispering I haven't felt exactly the same feelings. For me it's not so much a itching as more of a prickling and some stinging in my breasts. It's the milk ducts preparing. Maybe that is what you're feeling too?
  • @RiverWhispering is there any rash associated with the itching? I've heard PUPS rash can feel that way

• Loading the player...
  • Eivaska, no there's no rash. And it's pretty subtle, but noticeable enough to where I have to resist itching them because 1) the itch is inside so there's no point, and 2) just in case, I don't want to cause stretch marks...
  • I don't know about the itchy part, but my whole stomach and both breasts were covered in a rash from 10-13 weeks.... The doctor said it was from the progesterone hormone and apparently I had an "allergic reaction" to it... I switched my body wash to Cetaphil and it cleared up quickly. It was not itchy, it got worse after a warm shower or when lotion was applied, but it never came back once I started to use Cetaphil.
  • Oops. I just re-read what you wrote. I see now there's no rash, just itchiness. Ignore my previous sleep deprived post.
  • Has anyone had a couple contractions that actually made them feel better?

Last night after I left the doctor's office i had pretty bad pelvic pain (the doctor is aware of this but believes that I'm just not used to dealing with it because of my previous preterm labor and not having the issue until I was already in labor).  I took some tylenol and passed out about 7:00.  By 8:30 I was jolted awake with a contraction- i don't know if it was BH or not but it was enough to wake me up and I had to breathe through it. It stopped, and I fell back asleep- but woke up to another intense one about 9:30.  These I could feel all over my stomach (just no backache), and the second they released I could feel baby slump back down, actually lower than where he first was.  I got up to go to the bathroom, and my pain was gone.   This morning, I don't have the severe pelvic pain I had yesterday, and I've done quite a bit of walking already. I feel achy, like you do after pain subsides, but nothing other than that.

At my doctor's appointment yesterday, the doctor could feel baby's head- he actually wiggled it around which only irritated my pelvis even more. Now  it doesn't feel like his head is there anymore- it feels lower to me. 

I don't know- I feel like I'm rambling lol.  But its weird to me that a couple of contractions could take my pain away like that...
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @charley15 I've had baby movement that caused contractions so I'm sure it's possible.  The shifting might have moved him from nerves.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Anyone else skip their two week appointments and go right to one week appointments?  I went today and they said... oh you're measuring 36 weeks... let's do a stress test, because of your age.  The test was fine, but now they want to see me every week for a stress test.  Seems strange.  Thanks!  
  • I went every 4 weeks until 32 weeks. I have an ultrasound at 35 w 5 d and then weekly after that.
  • @J234 Typically the last 4 weeks you have weekly appointments, so starting at 36 weeks.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• For those of you that failed your 1 hour, but passed your 3 hour glucose tests, did they ever put a diagnosis in your record of "abnormal glucose affecting pregnancy" (or something along those lines). I passed my 3 hour by a mile and the MW continues to mark this 'diagnosis' as a primary problem of mine in visits despite my 3 hour being ridiculously normal. And I am not being treated for GD. Yet I am clearly anemic and on extra iron but that diagnosis is nowhere to be found... My concern here is with the hospital stay. How is that diagnosis despite being false, going to affect my baby and I in the hospital?
    I have approached them twice now about removing it and they just keep saying, "oh we put that your 3 hour was normal in the comments." It doesn't seem right to me. Thoughts?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• What exactly is a stress test? I've heard people say they had them done near the end of their pregnancy but I have no idea what they are.
  • annawestt said:
    What exactly is a stress test? I've heard people say they had them done near the end of their pregnancy but I have no idea what they are.

They just hook you up to the monitors (one measures contractions and one measures baby's heartrate).  They want to see 1) if you're contracting/the rate 2) how the baby is handling them (does the heartrate go up, down, etc.  I had one last week and had contractions that showed up on the monitor but they were all Braxton Hicks.
  • smushi said:
    annawestt said:
    What exactly is a stress test? I've heard people say they had them done near the end of their pregnancy but I have no idea what they are.

They just hook you up to the monitors (one measures contractions and one measures baby's heartrate).  They want to see 1) if you're contracting/the rate 2) how the baby is handling them (does the heartrate go up, down, etc.  I had one last week and had contractions that showed up on the monitor but they were all Braxton Hicks.
    When does the doctor start doing the non stress tests? I'm 32 weeks now. I meant to ask last week but got caught up looking at my little boy not wanting to stay still during the ultrasound. 
  • I only had the test last time at 38w because I had high blood pressure. It's been routine very appointment starting at 26 weeks this time around. 
  • My doctors want a stress test every week because I'm over 35. Starting at 35 weeks (last week.)  With my first, I only had one at 39 weeks. 
  • tJaffe said:
    smushi said:
    annawestt said:

When does the doctor start doing the non stress tests? I'm 32 weeks now. I meant to ask last week but got caught up looking at my little boy not wanting to stay still during the ultrasound. 

I never had one with my first.  I've only been having them with this pregnancy because I went into preterm labor at 28 weeks.  I've had a NST at 32 weeks, 33 weeks, and last week at 34 weeks, to make sure that I'm not having any big contractions (I was having them at the 34 week test, but they were BH - I wasn't feeling any pain with them).  Not sure if they'll have me do anymore NST's though.
  • Okay, here's one: 

I've made it to 32 weeks without stretch marks, STMs when did yours appear? I have the dark line down my belly, almost no belly button, but so far, not a stretch mark in sight. Am I going to luck out? My mom didn't get any with either of us kids. 
  • smushismushi member
    edited January 2016
    tJaffe said:
    Okay, here's one: 

I've made it to 32 weeks without stretch marks, STMs when did yours appear? I have the dark line down my belly, almost I no belly button, but so far, not a stretch mark in sight. Am I going to luck out? My mom didn't get any with either of us kids. 
    I didn't get any with my first, and I don't have any true stretch marks yet on my stomach with this pregnancy but I do know several ladies who have ended up with them at 39 weeks suddenly.  That being said, I did develop several on my boobs with breastfeeding. 

ETA Weirdly enough, I still haven't gotten a linea negra.  I had a very noticeable one first time around that took about a year to go away. 
  • Mine came at 33 or 35 weeks. And a ton popped up over night.
  • tJaffe said:
    Okay, here's one: 

I've made it to 32 weeks without stretch marks, STMs when did yours appear? I have the dark line down my belly, almost no belly button, but so far, not a stretch mark in sight. Am I going to luck out? My mom didn't get any with either of us kids. 
    I didn't notice any with #1 until after I delivered. I didn't have many but a few near my belly button and on my hips. I have a lot more now with #2 :(
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @smushi I'm the same as you.  I had a really noticeable linea nigra with my first pregnancy but no real stretch marks.  This time the linea nigra hasn't shown up at all.  

• tJaffe said:
    Okay, here's one: 

I didn't get any with my first. This time I have a few broken capillaries on my hip and stomach, but no stretch marks yet. Weirdly, I didn't get a linea negra until after I delivered my first (it literally showed up 24 hours after I delivered) and it stuck around until about a month after I stopped pumping (about 1 year!). This time it is very faint but there at 33 weeks.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Is it normal for the baby to hurt me evils he's moving around? It was getting a bit painful today... Elbows, knees, hands, feet... Whatever he was sliding across my belly was not pleasant to feel. First time I wanted him to nap! Lol
  • I got a ton of stretch marks at around 25 weeks and I'm a FTM even my doctor commented that I got a lot. I think it's a shot I the dark when/if they come

• @tJaffe absolutely.  Baby is getting stronger.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• skruhmin said:
    @tJaffe absolutely.  Baby is getting stronger.
    Okay! I had visions of not enough fluid or something ridiculous! It's made teaching that much harder that's for sure!
  • gmj3gmj3 member
    edited February 2016
    I probably should know the answer to this but for general illness (awful cough, sore throat, achy) can I go to an express care or should I wait to talk to my OB? Their office doesn't open til 9 and I'm miserable. Thanks for any advice!! 
  • Express care should be fine. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• tJaffe said:
    Okay, here's one: 

If your mum didn't, chances are you probably won't either. Stretch marks are a genetic thing for the most part. The body produces a hormone that causes the collagen and elastin to break down. 
    I do think hydration inside and out (topically, moisturising etc) helps prevent though too!

Im 36 weeks, I have several scars from laproscopic surgeries that appear to be getting a bit of stretching around them, but no where else. My mum didn't have any with my brother or I.

• Ok, two questions:
    -My husband said two of his coworkers whose wives recently had babies told him that the hospital gave their wives a laxative while in labor.  Has anyone else heard of this?  I can't imagine why the hospital would give you a laxative - other than maybe to cause you to poop while pushing so you are more "cleaned out" after delivery and don't have to pass a bowel movement too soon afterwards when the epidural might still be in effect, or you just had a tear sewn up or something?  (It's also possible that my husband - or the other husbands - misunderstood and the laxative was given AFTER delivery to make the first bowel movement easier, which makes more sense to me)
    -Another thing a co-worker told husband is that you aren't supposed to use baby wipes on a newborn.  Another thing that I've never heard before!  Is this true, and if so for how long?
    Thanks in advance for any insight!
  • Ok, two questions:
    -My husband said two of his coworkers whose wives recently had babies told him that the hospital gave their wives a laxative while in labor.  Has anyone else heard of this?  I can't imagine why the hospital would give you a laxative - other than maybe to cause you to poop while pushing so you are more "cleaned out" after delivery and don't have to pass a bowel movement too soon afterwards when the epidural might still be in effect, or you just had a tear sewn up or something?  (It's also possible that my husband - or the other husbands - misunderstood and the laxative was given AFTER delivery to make the first bowel movement easier, which makes more sense to me)
    -Another thing a co-worker told husband is that you aren't supposed to use baby wipes on a newborn.  Another thing that I've never heard before!  Is this true, and if so for how long?
    Thanks in advance for any insight!
    I don't know about the laxatives, I've never gotten anything like that at the hospital. 

As for the wipes, our hospital doesn't provide them for the babies, just these gauze cloths that you can get wet. We thought they were a huge pain though and brought our own wipes the second time. I'm sure some people feel like newborn skin is too sensitive and prefer not to use wipes, but we have from the start with both of ours. As far as I know, it's just personal preference!

• @katelin318 I didn't but I heard they used to do that back in the days. Maybe it depends on the hospital and OB practice?  If you are worried, I would say ask your OB during your next visit, just so you know what to expect.
  • @katelin318 our hospital gives laxatives after birth, I've never heard of giving it before hand.
  • My MIL told me once that she was given an enema prior to delivery to avoid "going" while pushing.
  • My MIL told me once that she was given an enema prior to delivery to avoid "going" while pushing.
    They don't do enema's anymore, but was fairly common practice, back in the day.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • my niece had sensitive skin, so when my sister in law used baby wipes her skin got darker in color. her doctor said not to use wipes because of the chemicals in wipes making her skin darker. i bought brand of wipes that is all natural. you can try those, one is seventh generation

https://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Generation-Thick-Strong-Clear/dp/B00A7NUARS/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1454947894&sr=1-1&keywords=seventh+generation+baby+wipes

second one is water wipes

https://www.amazon.com/WaterWipes-Baby-Wipes-Count-DermaH2O/dp/B00JMJDGPQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1454947931&sr=1-1&keywords=water+wipes+baby
  • I used these with DD during her first few months when we were mostly at home anyway.  These are basically dry wipes and you have to wet it.  When there were explosions, sometimes I just rinsed her in the sink (with lukewarm water).  At the hospital we were given something similar to these but softer and better quality.  I couldn't find them online and these were the best ones we found.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022077CK

• katy0990katy0990 member
    edited February 2016
    I just got back from my 36 week appointment and my doctor said I am not dialated at all, but I am 50% effaced. Is it common to efface first?
  • katy0990 said:
    I jyust got back from my 36 week appointment and my doctor said I am not dialated at all, but I am 50% effaced. Is it common to efface first?
    Yes https://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/effacement/

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~