2nd Trimester
Options

Skipping the Infant Seat: Tips for Success?

13»

Re: Skipping the Infant Seat: Tips for Success?

• Options
    In hindsight, my DD was in the bucket for so short a time that I wish we had done more research on baby wearing/convertible option. We'll use it this time because it's still in new condition and not expired, but I'm thinking we'll leave it in the car and just transfer baby in/out and wear, especially with trying to navigate with a toddler. I can't wait for all the STM's to have their second baby and get a wake up call when(if) their second baby is nothing like their first. All babies are different, all parents are different, all families are different. What works for you may not work for someone else (even if it works for the majority). I know so many moms who make baby wearing work. Are there challenges? Yes... But there are challenges no matter what you do. As I mentioned, we switched DD out of the bucket early. The only inconvenience we found was in the winter it was hard to find a way to keep her warm on the way to the car and once we were in it (since it had to warm up). Not an insurmountable problem, there are tons of ideas and products available. Just something I hadn't thought about beforehand.
    My second kid is very different from my first in almost every way so I can relate to the bolded statement! I also did what you described above and left the infant seat in the car and wore the baby as often as I could. It was so much easier that way with 2 kids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For my third baby I am doing basically what @PhoebeJune1984 described- infant seat in my car and convertible for DH's car.

I think you can certainly get away with having only a convertible, but honestly it isn't ideal. I wear my babies all the time and they are rarely strapped in seats of any kind.

Waking up a baby that hasn't gotten enough rest is basically the worst thing ever IMO. The first month or so you can probably get them out of the seat and into a carrier and back to sleep if you have one you can BF in. After that it gets harder and harder... Once they wake up, they are probably just up and they will be difficult if they are overtired. This is when you will start debating risk vs benefit of taking them out of the car seat or letting them finish their nap. I have sat in driveways and parking lots for hours rather than wake a baby that had fallen asleep in the car.

If I end up having a baby that magically sleeps whenever I want and I can plan my errands and life perfectly around them, I will not care what car seat I have. I will just go around blissfully counting my blessings.
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favourite Holiday Movie Moment

• Options
    In hindsight, my DD was in the bucket for so short a time that I wish we had done more research on baby wearing/convertible option. We'll use it this time because it's still in new condition and not expired, but I'm thinking we'll leave it in the car and just transfer baby in/out and wear, especially with trying to navigate with a toddler. I can't wait for all the STM's to have their second baby and get a wake up call when(if) their second baby is nothing like their first. All babies are different, all parents are different, all families are different. What works for you may not work for someone else (even if it works for the majority). I know so many moms who make baby wearing work. Are there challenges? Yes... But there are challenges no matter what you do. As I mentioned, we switched DD out of the bucket early. The only inconvenience we found was in the winter it was hard to find a way to keep her warm on the way to the car and once we were in it (since it had to warm up). Not an insurmountable problem, there are tons of ideas and products available. Just something I hadn't thought about beforehand.
    I can't wait for you to get a wake up call when (if) your second baby hates any type of baby wearing. 

This. @lyette1206 How sweet of you.

Funny you say "in hindsight" about your first baby, acknowledging you didn't know everything back then, and sharing your own FTM experience as an example of what you learned and what you will *try* this time. (Try because you have no idea if baby will take to being worn.) Yet, others who give their FTM experiences as an example of what they learned need a wake up call? 

Jesus people, chill out. Have some confidence in your parenting and don't let little comments like that get you so riled up. I doubt she meant it in the way you are all taking it.  
  • Options
    mandyjuliemandyjulie member
    edited January 2016
    I can't wait for you to get a wake up call when (if) your second baby hates any type of baby wearing. 

This. @lyette1206 How sweet of you.

Funny you say "in hindsight" about your first baby, acknowledging you didn't know everything back then, and sharing your own FTM experience as an example of what you learned and what you will *try* this time. (Try because you have no idea if baby will take to being worn.) Yet, others who give their FTM experiences as an example of what they learned need a wake up call? 

Jesus people, chill out. Have some confidence in your parenting and don't let little comments like that get you so riled up. I doubt she meant it in the way you are all taking it.  
    @Bigboobsmcgee Eh, not sure why you "doubt" she meant it that way. It was purposefully condescending while also hypocritical. Aimed at STMs who provided a FTM experience with the infant seat being helpful to them. Just because her FTM experience led her to a different path this time doesn't mean anyone else will get a wake up call. It doesn't rile me up, it just makes no sense.

Not seeing how pointing out someone's being a hypocrite = not confident in parenting?

DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    Thanks @Bigboobsmcgee
    Definitely didn't mean for my post to be interpreted as some FTMs advice is valuable while others is not. It was more in response to those who had replies like "just wait and see, you know nothing yet".
    What I had hoped it sounded like, and maybe did poorly at conveying, was that every mom learns as they go, for each baby. Of course I learned things in hindsight. Of course there are things I'll do different this time. Of course I may have to adjust when (if) this second baby doesn't seem to want to go along with my perfectly thought out plan. I just don't think it's valuable to completely dismiss some moms ideas or research because it didn't work for you, or you've ruled it out as working for you.
  • Options
    I used the bucket seat for all reasons listed. I found this helpful in the winter. JJ Cole Carseat Cover

For those that will go the convertible/babywearing route and live somewhere cold, I had this for my Baby Bjorn. Infantino Hoodie
    (I definitely didn't pay $89! Maybe you can find something similar elsewhere)
  • Options

I hope my baby is exactly like my puppy, it's going to be so easy using the same crate. Can you cone of shame your child or is that frowned upon?

And @thebigoaktree for the win!