3rd Trimester

So nervous for a c-section!

I was told that with this pregnancy, my second baby that I'll be having a section due to how badly I tore with my daughter. Any tips or advice to feel a little at ease?

Re: So nervous for a c-section!

• I was told that with this pregnancy, my second baby that I'll be having a section due to how badly I tore with my daughter. Any tips or advice to feel a little at ease?

Get a second opinion? I've never heard of NEEDING a c section just because of a previous tear during labor. It's possible not to tear during your second delivery.
  • I was told that with this pregnancy, my second baby that I'll be having a section due to how badly I tore with my daughter. Any tips or advice to feel a little at ease?

Scheduled c sections are much calmer than emergency ones, and you may be able to make some requests. See if your hospital offers "gentle" or "family-centered" c sections, where you can request to have skin-on-skin with your baby immediately, have music playing, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an unplanned c section and it honestly almost makes me want to go the c section route for all future babies lol. I didn't feel a thing but was still able to nurse and do skin to skin right after. It helped that I had a pretty easy and quick recovery and was out of the hospital two days after she was born. And again, it was unplanned- like pp said, planned c sections tend to be more calm.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep, this is the second opinion. For my first, the tear with it reopening from a fall and having to have reconstructive surgery followed by a small infection for the first has both docs saying it's dangerous to deliver again vaginally for risk of fistula or losing feeling in controlling my bladder so worst case scenario I would need to wear diapers if that occurred.
  • I had an emergency c section and it was suprisenly good. I'm in a great hospital where they did a very quick assessment with my baby (emergency section due to fetal distress). We got almost immediate skin to skin, he was able to latch in the operating theatre (which I'm still surprised they said that was fine, I figure the drugs would be bad) and when I got shaky from drugs my husband did skin to skin. We hung out as a family in recovery and they left us alone, checking our stats every so often but not being intrusive.
    Basically if I have another section that's scheduled (I have one planned for mid 41 weeks if I don't go into labour naturally - I never did last time) the OB said it'd be the same but even more relaxed. We can have music if we want and same skin to skin and latching in theatre if we want. I assume they ask you to wait to latch until the uterus is stitched because BFing causes uterine contractions. I honestly can't remember.

I agree with another PP that if you might face a lifetime of cascading issues I'd consider a c section. I really say avoid them like the plague but get another opinion and if your doc says it's a legitimate concern then don't discount it. My only hesitation for you would be the fact that you have another little one at home. C section recovery kinda sucks. You're really limited on what you can lift and your energy is doubly zapped - you have a new baby and you're recovering from abdominal surgery. Having a 2nd kiddo at home will make it hard. We're keeping our little guy in daycare full time for the first month in case I have to have a section. There's 0 chance I can take care of both kids by myself full time.

Good luck and if you have any specific questions feel free to ask here. I didn't find the c section board to be too active.
  • Ds was an emergency c section. It all happened really quickly. I didn't have as positive experiences as some of the others but I believe some of that was due to complications with him being preterm and my pre e. We did not get skin to skin, we had a quick peck on the cheek and then we waited several hours for them to bring him to us (which seemed to be only because we didn't know to call down to the Nursing station for him while I was in recovery and no one told us). That being said I found the first 48 hours to be the worst, after that pain for me was manageable with just ibuprofen. I am having a repeat because they don't have vbacs where I live and this time plan to be more proactive to make it a more positive experience. If you check the hospital bag packing list on March 2016 I posted what I plan to bring specifically for a c section as you are in the hospital longer (mine is 90 hours) and have different needs for comfort. I am nervous this time too and not looking forward to the long recovery afterwards, but healthy baby and mom are the most important thing.
  • @Stormiewinter glad you and your son made out okay in the end. You had some great suggestions about what to bring.

Also I'm pretty jealous at you bouncing back so quickly. 48 hours after mine I was still on heavy painkillers. I weaned myself off at 6 days and was still in rough shape! You're a rock star!
  • I had an emergency c with my first son.
    To be very honest I do not understand why some people are so against it. I understand that vaginal delivery is what our bodies are supposed to do, but to be honest most of my friends also have a hard time( painwise )recovering from tearing.
    I'm going to have a RCS by choice, per doctor's and family who are in the medical field advice. They fully told me not to have a vbac. I trust my doctor and knowing he's a great surgeon makes things much easier for me.

I was up and walking as soon as they took the catheter out. A friend whos a OB nurse told me to move move move as soon as I could and that was the best things I did. I pushed the baby up and down the hallways in the hospital.
    First day I did it once, second day I went for a stroll in the morning, and in the afternoon. My hubby was always by my side in case I felt weak. There was some discomfort but it didn't keep me from moving or taking care of my baby or going on with life after we got home. The more you move the better your recovery is. Day 11 is the day you start feeling more comfortable.
    I ween off my medicine really quickly as well but I wouldn't have a problem taking it a big longer if necessary.

C sections are not terrible. I'd def trust your doc in his/her knowledge and not be fearful at all.
  • I had an unplanned c section and it honestly almost makes me want to go the c section route for all future babies lol. I didn't feel a thing but was still able to nurse and do skin to skin right after. It helped that I had a pretty easy and quick recovery and was out of the hospital two days after she was born. And again, it was unplanned- like pp said, planned c sections tend to be more calm.

This was my SIL exact words when she was telling me about her experience. I know not all ladies are gong to have the same outcome, but it does make one want to consider a scheduled CS as an option. The whole tearing/loss of bladder control thing scares me!
  • @mastib you're right c sections aren't terrible and getting up and moving early is key.

If you need one I'm sure glad everything about them as improved over the years but it's no walk in the park. An acquaintance of mine had a vaginal birth in the morning and the next day (24 hours later) her and her baby were at work. Mind you she owns a retail baby store so it's pretty casual but still... definitely not the same recovery!

I know you're saying you're having a RCS by choice but you have an informed medical opinion that you should have one. There are people who request CSs because they don't want to go through labour, I'm always worried people leaning towards just having a CS without actually needing one will read stories like this and have that extra confidence to make that decision.

• I will be having my third and final CS with this baby and while the first one was emergency and very scary, going into it knowing beforehand was such a better experience. H and I were given a time to check in and they put us in our room before it was time. Once the OR was ready everything was calm and peaceful. My doctor and staff kept everything light and talked to me the whole time. H was right there next to me holding my hand. After DS was born H stayed with him in recovery until I could join them and then we both got skin to skin the first hour in recovery. Like PP said try to get up and start moving as soon as you can it really does help. Also don't try to be a hero and avoid pain meds. If you need it use it, cause I tried to go without and it was bad for a short time. Overall you should have a positive experience, good luck to you and best wishes :)
  • I have had 4.  First one was emergency but the rest were planned.  It was actually somewhat nice.  I got to do my hair and makeup and then we took a nice leisurely drive to the hospital two hours before the scheduled c/s.  We checked in, I changed into a gown, talked to family members, they gave me my epidural and then put in the catheter.  Then they wheeled me into the operating room.  Everyone was very nice and polite and the atmosphere was calm but happy.   With the last one I even did the whole wait to cut the cord until it stopped pulsing thing ( can't recall the name for it right now).  I got to hold her a lot and even held her while they wheeled me out of the operating room and into my recovery room.  That was a happy moment.   My tips for recovery ?

• If you are constipated, don't be afraid to ask for suppositories.  Honestly, the constipation is the worst part of recovery for me.  With my second, I thought I was going to have to go back to the hospital for a poopectomy.  Now, when I had my third, I tried all I could to get things moving.  I took every stool softener they gave me, I drank tons of water, hot tea and juice.  I had raisin bran and spinach every day.  Still nothing.  I could see the writing on the wall and asked for a suppository.  I got relief within the hour and I was so glad I went that route instead of waiting hours or days for other methods to work.  
    • Buy granny panties and yoga pants.  You won't want anything rubbing against your incision
    • Like a PP said, take your pain meds when scheduled because you will not want to play catch up.
    • Get up and walk as soon as they will let you.  Your incision will hurt at first, but the sooner you walk, the easier your recovery will be.
    • Don't be afraid to take people up on their offer to help.  
  • I felt the same way before my first c-section.  I found out the night before I went into labor that my daughter was breech.  They scheduled me for the following week, but the next morning I went into labor. The c-section was over and we were in recovery before I could even think about it.  I couldn't believe how fast the whole process was.  Barely anytime to think about when you are in the moment.  With my second daughter I was scheduled but she also came early.   I haven't experienced a c-section without going into labor, but hoping to for this third time around.  Like others have said, getting up and moving around is key, but remember to not over do it either.  Try to get as much help as you can when you get home, especially with your other little one.  Like the previous poster said, remember to take the stool softeners regularly and don't skip any doses.  I made that mistake with my second, almost a week after delivery.  I did not have an issue with the first, probably because I was much better about taking them.  I preferred to wear nightgowns for the first couple of weeks.  Much more comfortable due to the incision. I "treated" myself to a few nice ones before hand.   Best Wishes!
  • DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I'm scheduled for a c section due to placenta previa. I'm 29 weeks I wonder if there still a chance my placenta can move up. OB says she doubts it. I really wanted to have a natural birth