June 2016 Moms
Options

Pregnancy "Advice"

I thought this might be fun. I tried searching to see if something similar was out there but A LOT pops up when I searched "advice" so hopefully I'm not duplicating...

So! What's the most annoying/questionable piece of unsolicited "advice" you've gotten since being pregnant? STMs+ feel free to include any questionable parenting "advice" you've received.

Re: Pregnancy "Advice"

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Right! I was all, you want a 5 hour nap then you go for it lol!
  • Options
    Wepplo said:

Someone told me not to eat peanuts because eating peanuts while pregnant can give my child a peanut allergy...? I'm pretty sure that works the other way, but even if she is right, I wasn't eating nuts and it was weird.

My cousin told his wife not to eat lobster because their baby would be allergic to shellfish. So apparently that's a common misconception.... ??
  • Options
    As a FTM, I'm getting all sorts of "advice". A lot of "take advantage of it now" when it comes to sleep, showers/baths, fun outings etc. I have people telling me to co-sleep (as in bed share, not just room share), and I am NOT about that.... Haha. Just no. We're also getting the whole "get her on a sleep schedule" and "make sure she eats every 3 hours". If theres one thing I do know about a sleeping newborn, its don't wake them up to eat. They will wake up when they're ready. My sister and niece lived with my parents and I for a couple months when my niece was about 2 months old (brother in law had to travel out of the country for work), and me being the awesome little sister I am, would wake up for the middle of the night diaper change/bottle feed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    aloha5736aloha5736 member
    edited January 2016
    I'm 19.5 and I've been battling sickness since 3.5. I wouldn't say severe, but enough that I get occasionally dehydrated. What sends me over the edges is the "you should feel better by now." Well I don't ugh sorry I didn't feel better at 12 weeks.

My MIL has a habit of giving her 1980s opinion of what was right back then. I'm perfectly aware of the standards lol I worked in OB for awhile as a RN. She still insist things. Last night was the "giving a breastfeeding baby a bottle once a day in case they need to for an emergency"...like right away. Ok ok ok lol
  • Options
    The peanut butter thing is funny...ill be the real test I have it w an English muffin every day lol.
  • Options
    @aloha5736 yes! I still get sick in the mornings still (18 weeks...) and my MIL asks once or twice a week if I'm still sick and if I'm eating better yet etc. When I say no, she tells me to try to eat more and gives me random internet searches for how to fix the nausea. I get that she means well but "eat more" doesn't help and I can do a Google search myself. I'll trust my doctor on the list of things that are safe for me to do thanks.
  • Options
    my step mom is always saying to catch up on sleep and enjoy it now. Im with you guys...its not like we can bank the time lol. I also get the "wait til you're in the 3rd trimester and cant breathe cuz she's kicking your lungs". By far my favorite is the advice i got from a friend (single parent) who said "by the time she's a month old, you'll want your own mommy space" when i told her we weren't putting a tv in her room. She went on to say that ill end up using the tv as a babysitter bc ill want to not deal with the baby for a while. This from a mom who never pays attention to her child and is only worries about her boyfriend.
    ~* Met Husband: July 26, 2009 <3Said Yes: July 26, 2010 <3Married:  September 10, 2011 <3Baby Due: June 17, 2016 *~

• Options
    Mine is related to the older sibling, but it's my dogson. "He's going to be jealous." "He won't want to share his mom." "Don't put the baby near him." I'm pretty sure he's going to be fine. There's a reason why there is an old adage "a boy and his dog," plus he has done really well with my niece and nephew. Don't make it sound like the love I have for my pup is going to be replaced by my love for this baby.
  • Options
    shannonrnbsn YES! I have had this same problem.. My SIL actually sat me down to tell me that I really need to start introducing baby things into my dogs life so they start getting used to it and please do all you can to pay attention to the dogs and the baby, I don't want you to have to get rid of your dogs because you can't handle it. She doesn't even have kids! Not to mention, it's NONE of her business!!! 
  • Options
    @childcaremama  That's awful. Some people should definitely not have kids. 
    DS born 6/2/14 #2 due 5/31/16

• Options
    From a male coworker, "Make sure you don't gain too much weight." Yah, thanks...
  • Options
    Ugh. Some of this "advice" you all are getting is absurd!

My favorite is when people say "oh mothers in previous decades were eating/doing/drinking ______ for years before someone decided it wasn't healthy. It'll be fine for you have have/do that"

I get that people don't have to be uber strict and militant about things on the "do not" list -I'm not that much - but to cite previous generations doing it as proof that is fine is silly. New research has proven otherwise. If I choose not to be strict that's a decision/risk balance I will make but not because "my mom did it and I turned out fine so it should be no problem." The information they had back then was different.
  • Options
    cdnvb4 said:

My grandmother told me that to combat low iron I should take a shot of brandy (apparently there's a special "pregnancy" brandy?) mixed with a raw egg, every day. She seemed a little surprised when I started laughing and said, "I'm pretty sure the doctor would yell at me if I did that."

My grandmother told me to swish brandy or vodka around in my mouth (but not swallow) for my recurrant sinus infection.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine is related to the older sibling, but it's my dogson. "He's going to be jealous." "He won't want to share his mom." "Don't put the baby near him." I'm pretty sure he's going to be fine. There's a reason why there is an old adage "a boy and his dog," plus he has done really well with my niece and nephew. Don't make it sound like the love I have for my pup is going to be replaced by my love for this baby.
    OMG! YES!! Several family members have said "Be careful, she's going to be so jealous when the baby comes.She's probably going to attack her" Listen here: My dog is 8 years old and shes around my 4 month old nephew 5 days out of the week. She's going to be fine. AND FURTHERMORE, do you really believe we haven't discussed how we will introduce her to the baby? What is wrong with people????
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker