February 2016 Moms

Is it wrong to tell them to F-off?

So, I have two guys at work who insist on telling me they don't like my kid's names (especially the one I plan on naming LO) Would out be wrong to straight up tell them to F-off? My husband and I have super common names- Robert and Carrie- and both wanted more unique names for our children. We didn't make up crazy spellings or anything, just didn't go with traditional names. The three names are Vanderlei Robert (van-der-lay) Xaria Catherine (zar-e-uh. Cath-reen) and Yliana Janice (e-Lee-on-uh. Juh-niece). Are they REALLY that strange? Especially in todays day and age?

Re: Is it wrong to tell them to F-off?

• I wouldn't say they are the strangest I've ever seen but can definetly say that I've never heard of anyone named any of those (first names). I also wouldn't even have known how to pronounce them correctly if you hadn't given that info to us. If you're going to name you child something a bit more uncommon you have to be prepared for people to make comments about it, thats just the way the world is. They certainly will not be the last ones to ever make a comment to you, let alone your child.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have people complaining that what I'm going to name my daughter is strange. Which I don't think it is, her name is going to be EllaSandra.
  • I wouldn't say they're strange, per se, but I think the spelling and pronunciation are going to throw others off. People have their opinions and you're not going to like all of them. Others don't have to like your child's name...it's not their child, so what do they care? 
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think it's wrong to tell them to F off, if the topic of conversation is your babies names. They have the right to their opinion. However, if they are going out of their way to say terrible things about your babies names then by all means tell them how it is. But I wouldn't go as far as to say F off. I would tell them you don't want to hear it from them again because frankly you don't care about their opinion. 

Although I feel like you kind of set them up for it. I'm a firm believer in the power of names, and honestly honey you've picked the strangest spelling which has set them up for a lifetime of people butchering their names and having to correct people, and explain to them that their parents wanted their children to have "non common names" and that is the reason it's difficult to understand how to say their names by just sounding it out. Because you wanted them to have "unique names." that is what they are going to get. 

At the end of the day, When deciding my childrens names I decided to pick something I liked that incorperated everything I wanted in a name (uniqueness, culture fusion, and simplisity) while taking into consideration that it's my child but it's the name THEY have to live with, they have to go out and face the world with the name we give them, not us. 

• Vandelay Industries!

To answer your question, assuming you genuinely wanted input: yes, they are strange. The spellings of the first names and the pronunciations of the middle names will set your child up for a lifetime of having to correct people. Having said that, it is most certainly your right to name your child what you choose, and it's also your right to tell people (whose opinions you haven't solicited) to F off.
  • Baby names can cause issues you may love them other may hate them. Everyone has their own opinions. Would you want someone who tell you to F off if you didn't like it or made fun of their child's name? Yes I have come across haters and internally I have cursed people out but honesty names are a touchy subject especially if spelt differently and/or pronounced differently.
  • Don't want opinions? Don't share.

@acuteangles during intimate moments??? Oh my! Not cool.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• As far as pronunciation, I gave it because I know they are names that people are not used to seeing/hearing. Vanderlei was actually named after (not because of 'fandom' but because we liked the name) Wanderlei Silva- a well known MMA fighter. Obviously I didn't want someone calling him "wander-lee"so I went with an alternate (but still widely accepted) spelling. Xaria's name could be pronounced like Mariah so I wanted to clarify. However, just because they start with an X, V, and Y, people tend to not be able to "figure it out". I understand that. That isn't my point. There is a lady I work with whose name is Sandra. It's pronounced Sondra. It would NEVER cross my mind to say "oh, that's weird-I don't like that". And you better believe if I ever DID say that out loud to her, I would EXPECT a 'Wtf' look- at the very least. If anything, my name's have a Portuguese/Spanish background to them. They aren't Aryabelia, Princess, LaShaq'uita, Hashtag, Niquolis or some other made up, completely random, or pop-culturish reference. I just don't think they are THAT bad (obviously, or I wouldn't have named them that!). I just can't get over the fact that someone would feel it necessary to ask on a weekly basis if I had decided to change my baby's name to a 'normal name' yet. I personally would never stoop that low. Opinion or not, being rude is just that-being rude.
  • Am I confused? Are you planning on pronouncing perfectly good, legit names incorrectly to make them more speshul?

I'm not sure I understand you... Which alternate pronunciation do you consider good and legit? I'm assuming it's the girl's middle names- which in fact- are actually named after multiple generations of family members. As far as them being 'speshul' No- that is pretty much the opposite of what I did. I chose names that I liked and spelled them in a way that made sense phonetically. To me it baffles me that "Carrie" can be spelled 15 different ways and no one has a problem with it, but use an X to make a Z sound (which it does in other names) and damn it, you've crossed a line! Its just crazy.
  • I'm sorry, but why would you consider those names "racist"? They are clearly popculturish at best. I've heard everything from Twilight references, Video game fairies, Elves, colors, places, whatever... I really don't care what people name their children- I was simply making a point about nonsesical spellings, capital letters and apostrophes. Which is probably why I have an issue with their comments- I just wouldn't ever be so rude as to criticize it to someone's face. Especially a pregnant woman!
  • pbtoast said:

Am I confused? Are you planning on pronouncing perfectly good, legit names incorrectly to make them more speshul?

I'm not sure I understand you... Which alternate pronunciation do you consider good and legit? I'm assuming it's the girl's middle names- which in fact- are actually named after multiple generations of family members. As far as them being 'speshul' No- that is pretty much the opposite of what I did. I chose names that I liked and spelled them in a way that made sense phonetically. To me it baffles me that "Carrie" can be spelled 15 different ways and no one has a problem with it, but use an X to make a Z sound (which it does in other names) and damn it, you've crossed a line! Its just crazy.
    I believe she's referring to "Juh-niece" and "Cath-reen."
    Those would be the middle names that are family names. Like I said, just because it's not the first pronunciation you jump to, doesn't mean it's wrong. I can't help how great grandma pronounced her name 110 years ago.
  • g8trkim said:

It's your right to name your kid what you want. I also think people are entitled to their opinions. If you don't want to hear them, don't share your names. But since you did share, my opinion is those names are awful. You can tell me to F off, I won't take it personally, but it won't make the names any better.

100% agree with this. Also, I'm all for "unique" names but some of these (based on pronunciation) sound made up.
  • You are dooming your kids for a lifetime of correcting other people's pronunciation of their names. I was sick and tired of spelling my street name for 4 years, because it was spelled "spesul" and was again unlucky to move to another street, some idiot decided to call "spesuly", even spellcheck shows it wrong. And I have to spell my name all the time, I wish my name was Mary Smith.
    Other considerations. Vanderlay will be easily teased everywhere, saying F off is rude - find more polite way of sticking to your decision.
    People, before calling something racism - check the definition first 

• LIly436 said:
    'I was sick and tired of spelling my street name for 4 years, because it was spelled "spesul" and was again unlucky to move to another street, some idiot decided to call "spesuly", even spellcheck shows it wrong.'

Same problem here.  No one can actually pronounce it when they see the name or spell it correctly when they hear it.  It's so bad that when the town replaced all the street signs even they misspelled it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • LMAO

These are weird. That kid will ALWAYS correct people. I know someone who named their child Beowulf. My name is Kalen (Kay-lyn) and I always have to correct people so I can only imagine. Don't over think the "unique" names AND don't get offended because you asked for opinions.
  • kalenvan said:

LMAO

These are weird. That kid will ALWAYS correct people. I know someone who named their child Beowulf. My name is Kalen (Kay-lyn) and I always have to correct people so I can only imagine. Don't over think the "unique" names AND don't get offended because you asked for opinions.

Agree with you for the most part, but people really should know how to pronounce Beowulf since it's a real name and spelled correctly.

• Also, your response to the name Aryabella being a "made up" name isn't all that accurate. It's a popular twist on the name Arabella, which means "yielding to prayer". Don't think I have to explain why some parents would choose that name.

If there's meaning behind it and you love it and feel confident in the name choices, why are people's opinions even bothering you..? It seems like you aren't as sold on these names as you'd like to be.
  • If they have an opinion just ignore them. It doesn't matter what their opinion of your name choice is. People have opinions on everything and people at first didn't like our name but it's not their child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have to agree with PP that if you have to provide pronunciation then it's pretty darn strange. That just screams of wanting to be yooneek but in a audial way instead of visual. Massive disservice to your kids for reasons previously mentioned. Your co-workers are just saying out loud what everyone will be thinking for the rest of your children's lives.