February 2016 Moms
Options

Is it wrong to tell them to F-off?

2»

Re: Is it wrong to tell them to F-off?

• Options
    I'm naming my daughter Emma but not sure on spelling...Emmah, Ema, Eemmaa...all pronounced Em-ma just to be clear.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe these are more common names where you are from, but when I heard them they definitely seemed like younique names both in spelling and pronunciation. The X is definitely used more in Hispanic cultures from what I understand but I don't know the grammar of how it "works". When you compared your names to the ridiculous ones yours didn't seem much different

If you are only looking for input on your coworkers I would just say "I really understand your opinions, but I'm not looking for your opinion and it hurts and bothers me when you keep bringing it up. Please don't bring it up again.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with them. I have a son whose name is Sparda Redgrave and his sister is going to be named Bronwyn Llewellyn. Screw the norm. I love them and don't feel discouraged since the vast majority of people here don't. I wouldn't change my babies' names for anything and if you love your names, you shouldn't either.
  • Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with them. I have a son whose name is Sparda Redgrave and his sister is going to be named Bronwyn Llewellyn. Screw the norm. I love them and don't feel discouraged since the vast majority of people here don't. I wouldn't change my babies' names for anything and if you love your names, you shouldn't either.
    The problem with her names is that she's trying to take common names and pervert their pronunciation. You've chosen unusual names that some people may not be able to pronounce, which is totally acceptable IMO. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    At least you own the fact that you are confident about your kids' names. Your kids' names are different, but you are proud of them!  the OP is getting defensive about criticisms from total internet strangers on her choices, how the hell is she going to handle everyone mispronouncing her kids' names forever?

@Rodkey2007Re: desire to give unusual names due to having a very common name as a parent.  
    I get it. My husband's name is Chris. From the early 80s. He went to school with so many other Chris and now works with a lot of Chris. On the other hand, my name is extremely unique here just because it is a foreign name (but weirdly not obviously foreign). People don't know how to pronounce it, people can't spell it, and most can't even tell if it is a female or a male name. He wanted a name that was not so common because he hated the fact that he always had to go by a nick name or clarify which Chris he was, and I wanted a name that people can spell and pronounce without problems. Solution? Avoid the top 50 names, but give a real name that people know. There are a lot of choices that fall inbetween 'Robert/Carrie' type of a common name and names like 'Xaria/ Yiliana'. 
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    Not the same thing though. Those are uncommon names spelled correctly. Love Bronwyn!

• Options

You're very confident in these names, I don't get the feeling that OP is at all. It seems more like a showboat to be unique that is backfiring. She's gotten overly shaken by these opinions and I think it's a sign she should rethink these names. If you're not insanely confident in your unique names, your children won't be at all and then they will be severely affected when/if they get teased.
  • Options

You're very confident in these names, I don't get the feeling that OP is at all. It seems more like a showboat to be unique that is backfiring. She's gotten overly shaken by these opinions and I think it's a sign she should rethink these names. If you're not insanely confident in your unique names, your children won't be at all and then they will be severely affected when/if they get teased.

I don't believe I was "overly shaken" by the previous posts- granted, I was a little taken aback at how harsh some posts were and a little puzzled by a few of the comments. My children are 9 and 6 and I have NEVER come across any of these problems that posters insist I would have "if I were so awful to bestow those horrible names on them". I AM used to having to pronounce their names ONCE to someone we have never met, but apparently the people who live/work around us are either good listeners or- (As I would HOPE most decent human beings would be-) accepting of others and respectful of their feelings (and names). My original intent was to question how I should handle these coworkers who have repeatedly asked about my third child's name. I have never been shameful of any of my name choices and I'm confident in this one as well. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback and apparently THEIR comments should be the least of my worries. The amount of flack I caught from this post was a little crazy. As a mom, I strive to surround myself with people who are positive and who build you up instead of bashing you and who are negative in general. Granted, I know that the world is not always going to be friendly- to me or my children, but to be on a site that is supposed to be a supportive environment filled with others who are going through the same things as you- during a time when others (like those coworkers) may not understand how hurtful their words may be (either rationally or not) due to the hormones and general anxiety of being super pregnant... And finding nothing but negative and nasty comments...I find that DISCUSTING. To look back on some of the rudest posts and realize these people have THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of posts makes me realize that this is their thing. They troll through here and criticize and tear apart others just for fun. I'm actually glad it was myself that bore the brunt of this. Heaven forbid a young first time mom come on here and post a comment about someone being unnecessarily rude and disrespectful (as I feel these coworkers have been) and you guys proceed to rip apart any shred of the confidence she may have initially had. Call it whatever you want- UO, FFF, WTF Wednesday... I felt comfortable to post a question about a problem I was having- Don't worry- I won't do It again. This isn't the type of 'community' I would like to be a part of. Good luck to all of you- I hope your children are all born healthy and I hope nothing but the best for you each in the future.
  • Options

I don't believe I was "overly shaken" by the previous posts- granted, I was a little taken aback at how harsh some posts were and a little puzzled by a few of the comments. My children are 9 and 6 and I have NEVER come across any of these problems that posters insist I would have "if I were so awful to bestow those horrible names on them". I AM used to having to pronounce their names ONCE to someone we have never met, but apparently the people who live/work around us are either good listeners or- (As I would HOPE most decent human beings would be-) accepting of others and respectful of their feelings (and names). My original intent was to question how I should handle these coworkers who have repeatedly asked about my third child's name. I have never been shameful of any of my name choices and I'm confident in this one as well. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback and apparently THEIR comments should be the least of my worries. The amount of flack I caught from this post was a little crazy. As a mom, I strive to surround myself with people who are positive and who build you up instead of bashing you and who are negative in general. Granted, I know that the world is not always going to be friendly- to me or my children, but to be on a site that is supposed to be a supportive environment filled with others who are going through the same things as you- during a time when others (like those coworkers) may not understand how hurtful their words may be (either rationally or not) due to the hormones and general anxiety of being super pregnant... And finding nothing but negative and nasty comments...I find that DISCUSTING. To look back on some of the rudest posts and realize these people have THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of posts makes me realize that this is their thing. They troll through here and criticize and tear apart others just for fun. I'm actually glad it was myself that bore the brunt of this. Heaven forbid a young first time mom come on here and post a comment about someone being unnecessarily rude and disrespectful (as I feel these coworkers have been) and you guys proceed to rip apart any shred of the confidence she may have initially had. Call it whatever you want- UO, FFF, WTF Wednesday... I felt comfortable to post a question about a problem I was having- Don't worry- I won't do It again. This isn't the type of 'community' I would like to be a part of. Good luck to all of you- I hope your children are all born healthy and I hope nothing but the best for you each in the future.

Another wahhhh they're mean girls post? Really? If 20 people tell you your child's name is not that common and they think that child will deal with it later in life.... But whatever, you've never dealt with anyone in person who has said anything negative.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options

If you only wanted people to respond and say that they loved your names and that you were in the right, you should have specified. Then you would have had people let you know that that's not how an Internet forum works and unfortunately, that's not how life works. If you ask for an opinion, you're going to get it, regardless of if you agree with it. I'm sorry you didn't like the responses you got but if you weren't going to welcome anything other than praise of your unusual names/pronounciations, you shouldn't have started a thread
  • Options
    I don't think you got any flack from this initial post. You got flack for whining about the "cruelty" of the opinions that you did ask for. "Are they really that strange" is definitely asking and not just saying hey how do I deal with these people?
    Next time try leaving the names out and not being upset that we aren't showering you with tickles and warm cookies.

Anyways. This has been a great laugh and a good few days of entertainment.. So who's the next one? :wink: jk.
  • Options
    Wanderlei Silva was the first person who came to mind when I saw the first name option you had, I had to Google Art Vandelay because I didn't get that reference at all. It's your baby and you can name him or her whatever you want to; people don't have to agree but if they're being super rude about it you can always ask them to tone it down a bit.
    S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker