June 2015 Moms
Options

Feeding LO - January

Re: Feeding LO - January

• Options
    I'm not sure how to do this whole finger food thing. For dinner tonight I had chicken and steamed broccoli, and LO seemed interested, so I gave him a broccoli tree. He sucked on the top for a bit (with an interesting look on his face), but then seemed to want to shove the whole thing in there. So I got scared and took it away. And I wanted to try to give him a little sliver of chicken (I mean literally just a little teeny tiny shred), but I was still afraid.

I'm not sure how I'm ever going to graduate beyond purées :s
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mellymar I'm with you. I haven't been brave enough to move past the mesh bags.
  • Options
    ^^ I need to buy some of these mesh bags
  • Options
    janat1717janat1717 member
    edited January 2016
    @mellymar you kind of have to just go for it. Maybe read through the forums on the babyledweaning site. Then you hear how other people are offering. I will say that I was crazy nervous at first but nothing calms worries like watching him succeed and be happy about it... Even when coughing and spitting back out some food.

DH made "meat sticks" tonight. He was having a blast with the kid. Most ended up on the floor but that made the dogs pretty happy
  • Options
    I think my right nipple is formally requesting that breastfeeding is over. I had 2 new milk blisters today. It hurts to pump, so so much. Like aneedle in my nipple. And the blood...so gross.

I'm conflicted. I've never *loved* breastfeeding because of the pumping but I enjoy the time I get to nurse LO. And I feel like it's not even my decision. My supply is decreasing and it's painful to pump. Logically, I know this has no effect on what kind of a mom I am but I can't help but feel like I'm failing. Womp womp.
  • Options
    I love coming up with purées for LO but was struggling with ideas! I believe someone else shared this same dilemma earlier in this thread. I came across this website and haven't looked back:

https://www.babyfoode.com/6monthpurees

Her blog is super funny and her purées are delicious! My sister and I took an afternoon and hammered a few of them out. Our LOs loved them! Especially the Thai mango chicken!

I'm all about baby trying different flavors :smile:
    FTM - EDD June 16 2015
  • Options
    Your sister sounds like a lovely person @APago
  • Options

Sammy K said:

I think my right nipple is formally requesting that breastfeeding is over. I had 2 new milk blisters today. It hurts to pump, so so much. Like aneedle in my nipple. And the blood...so gross.

I'm conflicted. I've never *loved* breastfeeding because of the pumping but I enjoy the time I get to nurse LO. And I feel like it's not even my decision. My supply is decreasing and it's painful to pump. Logically, I know this has no effect on what kind of a mom I am but I can't help but feel like I'm failing. Womp womp.

You are NOT failing! Look at all you've put yourself through already, and would continue to do if your body wasn't signaling enough is enough. You're a fantastic mom, and your baby and kid are growing and thriving.

You've had a hell of a go round, and the vast majority of women would have quit back at your elimination diet days.

Give your body and mind a hand for being so strong this long. Baby needs a healthy, happy mama and needle nipples aren't healthy and happy.

But I get what you're saying, and you're not crazy for feeling that way. You just so happen to be wrong. :-)
    ^^this. Well put @virginiaunicorn11
  • Options
    @sammy k I know how hard it must be to stop nursing. It has become such a great bonding time. You have gone above and beyond what I think I would have done to keep breastfeeding. You have made it so far already. Please don't feel like you are not doing a good job.
  • Options

Sammy K said:

You are NOT failing! Look at all you've put yourself through already, and would continue to do if your body wasn't signaling enough is enough. You're a fantastic mom, and your baby and kid are growing and thriving.

You've had a hell of a go round, and the vast majority of women would have quit back at your elimination diet days.

Give your body and mind a hand for being so strong this long. Baby needs a healthy, happy mama and needle nipples aren't healthy and happy.

But I get what you're saying, and you're not crazy for feeling that way. You just so happen to be wrong. :-)
    Thank you for this. I know you're right. It's that stupid Mom Guilt. I'm going to try nursing only on that side when we're home and pumping the other. That's a lot less painful. Le sigh.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I hate sounding like a broken record, but one of my favorite "be kind to yourself" pieces of advice, which I learned while pregnant, is to imagine what you would say to your best friend if she were in the situation. (The BF you are honest with, to make it legit.)

No way would you be letting her feel like a failure. And while Mom Guilt is all too real, you're too rational of a person not to have that meta understanding that logically, you're not failing.

Good to have a solution that is physically easier and hopefully emotionally comforting, too.

I was just thinking yesterday that we are getting much closer to the point when our babies won't be nursing, or at least nursing nearly as much. That day used to feel like an eternity away, and now it suddenly seems to be staring me down!
  • Options
    @Sammy K, @virginiaunicorn11 is talking about me! I probably totally would've quit at that elimination diet! You rock for continueing as long as you have. I also would have stopped if I had to pump continuously. I hate pumping. It's an emotional thing though so I totally get where you're coming from.

How is it when you nurse? Could you do formula during the day and just nurse at night, so it's not just stopping suddenly? Could be totally talking out of my ass (most likely) but I read it can be easier on the mom emotionally to stop gradually.

Needle nipples are no good! Be kind to yourself!
  • Options
    Sammy K said:
    I think my right nipple is formally requesting that breastfeeding is over. I had 2 new milk blisters today. It hurts to pump, so so much. Like aneedle in my nipple. And the blood...so gross. I'm conflicted. I've never *loved* breastfeeding because of the pumping but I enjoy the time I get to nurse LO. And I feel like it's not even my decision. My supply is decreasing and it's painful to pump. Logically, I know this has no effect on what kind of a mom I am but I can't help but feel like I'm failing. Womp womp.
    Oh no! Was so happy to hear you figured out your supply issues, sucks that there hasn't been an improvement... at least not yet - hope you heal fast. But 2nd pp's that if you can't, to be kind to yourself.
    Like @virginiaunicorn11 said, BF'ing has to stop eventually. Whether it's sooner or later it will be emotional.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    @dancegurl1118 if I had all your issues I would have stopped a long time ago! Good for you to continue pumping for her but if it's too much to continue she will be fine :)
    @Sammy K pretty much the same ^^ you both had so many issues I would have given up breastfeeding a long time ago.
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 Exactly. I'm not a SAHM so this is how I'm "there" for her. Part of me is a little relieved but part of me is sad/disappointed. I totally understand where you're coming from.
  • Options
    Sammy K said:

On a good note, daycare accidentally fed LO yogurt and so far no problems! Maybe her dairy issues are finally over!

Potentially a huge cause for rejoicing. I'm irrationally excited about this
  • Options
    @mellymar You and me both! I had a split second reaction of "You did what?!" But realized it had been almost 24 hours with no reaction, so... We will see. Her teacher felt really bad after I told her we hadn't introduced dairy yet. The formula we're supplementing with is dairy based, so hopefully it's helping her system to adapt.

They also said that was the first spoon-fed food she opened her mouth for. Babies, man. So unpredictable.
  • Options
    How long were your teething babies on an eating/solids strike?
    ......... Spend 2 days making nutritious food that he's refusing to eat. I can tell his teeth are bothering him. Just wondering if I should freeze everything and wait a week? ..... Recommendation is food only keeps on the fridge for 3-5 days homemade.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited January 2016
    Also EP here and I'm down to about 3 times per day for pumping. Please don't feel guilty for backing off or quitting... The BF world can just lay off...............
    Or the guilt we put on ourselves more likely!
    I'm using my freezer stash and don't feel bad about it one bit.
  • Options
    I posted a few days ago how LO was refusing to eat. Her teeth came through over the weekend, she's transitioning to the next infant room at daycare, she has a cough and I'm no longer nursing...all in the same week.

She didn't gain any weight between 4&6 mo check ups so we're going in two weeks to check weight. Started to supplement and she did fine with the first week, but now won't eat. She won't even eat the bfeeding bottles so it's not just the formula. Do babies regress in eating around 6.5 months? I can't pinpoint it. Of course she won't eat when we need hyer to tack on the lbs. She's completely happy for the most part so not sure?? If she doesn't eat again tomorrow, I'm going to call doc.
  • Options
    klkonwi said:

How long were your teething babies on an eating/solids strike?
    ......... Spend 2 days making nutritious food that he's refusing to eat. I can tell his teeth are bothering him. Just wondering if I should freeze everything and wait a week? ..... Recommendation is food only keeps on the fridge for 3-5 days homemade.

Any thoughts?

Freeze it. Even if he starts eating in a day or 2, you can defrost it. Don't waste all that hard work.
  • Options
    klkonwi said:

Thank you! Heading to the freezer now.
    Ugh it is hard work. Next kid...... I'll be buying it for sure unless I start a garden..... (Omg what a laughable thought) I can't even keep a house plant alive.

You can always do a mix of homemade and store bought. Make whatever you have time for, buy the rest.
  • Options
    423ang said:

klkonwi said:

Thank you! Heading to the freezer now.
    Ugh it is hard work. Next kid...... I'll be buying it for sure unless I start a garden..... (Omg what a laughable thought) I can't even keep a house plant alive.

You can always do a mix of homemade and store bought. Make whatever you have time for, buy the rest.
    This is what I do. Veggies I do my own, but fruits are ridiculous since we're out of season so they make more sense to buy. The premade pouches are great. It took my girls time, but they feed themselves those which is great when we go out to eat!
  • Options
    To peanut butter or not to peanut butter? My pedi said yes to peanut butter. I think it was @janit368 who mentioned testing it on the skin first. My doc said yes, test it on her back first. If she's ok, then feed it to her (swipe on the cheek, smear on toast, whatevs). If she has ANY kind of reaction at all, call 911. She said that even hives can escalate to something more, and not to wait it out. Just wanted to share.
  • Options
    henrytviiihenrytviii member
    edited January 2016
    So much going on here all of the sudden. @virginiaunicorn11 I was thinking the same thing. DS refused to nurse most of the time at 11.5 months. @dancegurl1118 You've done awesome to keep it up. Can you just cut back? You've always pumped more than she eats. Can you do just 3-4 pumps a day. I only pump if I'm away from LO for more than 6 hours. And I only pump once if I am away for 7-10 hours. That's my compromise. So really I'm just nursing at night and pumping 4-5 times a week. With DS this would.have tanked my supply but I've kept it up for almost 2 months now. @Sammy K My LO also had a milk issue, I was able to eat a little bit starting at 5 months. And he's now eating a few meals with cheese inside - enchiladas, lasagna. Not sure how much he actually eats but no reactions yet.

@klkonwi Our teething hunger strike was almost 2 weeks! So personally I'd run for the freezer.
  • Options
    Super excited because I found some baby mum mums and some mesh feeding bags. Bring on the broccoli trees!

@cait7425 interesting about the peanut butter. Its interesting to see how the pedi's are doing this whole peanut thing. Mine wanted to wait until 9m (not saying anything about either your or my pedi, just the differences). I'm honestly not sure I may wait to 9m, but my pedi did not mention to test on the skin first, so I'm glad you mentioned that.
  • Options
    @mellymar yeah, I think the skin test is to see if they are extremely allergic. I had a student who was so allergic, that if she even breathed in peanut dust, she would start to react. I'm sure if we were to wipe PB on her skin it may breakout. So I assume it would be a cautionary test to make sure she's not highly allergic. DH and I are going to wait to give it to her early in the day when we are both home. Probably a weekend (less traffic). I was freaked out when she said to go to the ER or call 911 if she reacts in any way. I don't know much about allergies, but I guess every time you give an allergy food to a child the reaction may get worse each time. Or if she breaks out, a little while later she may have trouble breathing. Eeep! DH and I aren't allergic to anything, so I know she's lower risk, but this parenting thing is scary.
  • Options
    ^^^ Our neighbors did this with their 2nd child because their first had a peanut allergy.
  • Options
    https://fox4kc.com/2016/01/08/designer-uses-breast-milk-to-create-unique-pieces-of-jewelry/

For those of you having trouble giving up breastfeeding........... This is a real thing and I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or think "you go girl for taking the sentiment of breastfeeding and preserving it! " LOL
  • Options
    I don't understand how to transition to formula. Trying to nurse LO at this point is like trying to wrestle an angry cat and force it to suck on your nipple. Not working very well. So I mixed 1oz breastmilk with 1oz formula (I had a can of Gerber Gentle someone had given me at my shower) and he wouldn't take it at all. He gagged and spit it out (very dramatic this kid is).

1. Is there a formula that more closely resembles BM, something your LO didn't really notice? I'm thinking maybe one of the Supplement formulas?

2. What ratio did you start with? Half and half failed but at least I only wasted 1oz BM. I'm scared to do a 3oz /1oz mix because if he still won't take it then that's 3oz I'm tossing.

Any advice would be helpful!
  • Options
    So, one of my biggest mental barriers to sleep training/scheduling was the fear that by so dramatically cutting the number of times LO nurses/takes a bottle, that he wouldn't get enough milk. All of my reading (as well as our Ped), assured me that this was nothing to be concerned about, that LO would just take more during day feedings. 

Well, since then I've consistently had a nice surplus from pumping, where previously I'd struggled to keep up with demand. This is not helping my mom guilt - feeling like we're somehow withholding that extra from LO!  

(to clarify, he takes two bottles of 8-9 ounces, plus nurses twice, which should total 30+ ounces, plus purees 3x/day, so he is well fed)
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    @klirwin82 we just transitioned to formula full time in the past 2 weeks. Tried a brand that she absolutely hated, and then switched to the Similac advanced. We also make her bottles HOT. Actually had to go out and buy a bottle warmer, which we never needed with bm.

We also switched to the size 2 bottle nipples. Now she loves it and chugs bottles.
  • Options
    @klirwin82 the honest co formula is for supplementing and that's what worked for us. We started with 3oz BM and 1oz formula. Then moved up from there!