June 2015 Moms

Products and Purchases - December

2»

Re: Products and Purchases - December

• ^ I just checked the local cloth diaper store... They'd get saggy, urine is sterile... Gross indeed
  • Loading the player...
  • Any gadgets out there that you've seen that hand sit in the babies lap and they can press buttons, see things like up, etc? She likes to sit up and we sit her piano on her lap and she plays it. Wondering if there's something else out there similar.
  • We got out LO a toy phone and remote remote for Christmas since she loves to steal ours and play with them.
  • I keep seeing this "urine is sterile" being posted everywhere.. Science/Medical articles that I have read indicates it IS NOT... I'm confused as to where the misinformation comes from...

• jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited December 2015

I keep seeing this "urine is sterile" being posted everywhere.. Science/Medical articles that I have read indicates it IS NOT... I'm confused as to where the misinformation comes from...

It's sterile in the body. That's what I've always been taught. Once it leaves the bladder it's no longer sterile. Has that school of thought changed too?

• cbrtncanadiancbrtncanadian member
    edited December 2015
    This is just an article on Google search but it makes reference to research from 2012/2014 that was presented at a microbiology conference that would indicate it's not sterile even before leaving the body.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gory-details/urine-not-sterile-and-neither-rest-you

It also indicates that our placentas and brains aren't sterile.. Very interesting!

• Was anyone lucky enough to get the baby uggs in zulily? They sold out while in my cart! Only 32.99!
  • We're in the market for an umbrella stroller! Anyone have one they love?
  • Sjeff0816 said:

We're in the market for an umbrella stroller! Anyone have one they love?

We have a combi that was a clearance buy at BRU .... It was nice because it was the convenience of an umbrella stroller but still was roomy enough to feel like an actual stroller ... Not sure the exact model sorry
  • High chair- summer infant Brentwood. we love it. People kept telling us to get something that can collapse to be really small, but because we like the way this one looks, we don't ever collapse it. It reclines to 3 positions, and you can adjust the height as well.

Sippy cups- we have a dr. Brown spout one that I gave LO to play with the other day. I put a smal amount of bm in it, and she seemed to know what to do. Waiting to check with the pedi before doing water. Leave it to dr. Brown to have a million pieces for a sippy cup. We also have a oxo straw one, and an avent spout less one that is supposed to mimic a regular cup.

Car seat- I think we have some graco convertible seat.

Gadgets- LO got a toy cellphone for Christmas. She doesn't really play with it. She still likes the play mat, Exersaucer, and manual toys so far.
  • Can someone explain to me why car seats have an expiration date? DH thought it was ridiculous when I told him that, and refuses to buy a new one when we have a second kid.
  • Sjeff0816 said:

We're in the market for an umbrella stroller! Anyone have one they love?

I really like the uppa baby g luxe. My mom bought it for us, but she won't let us use it ha. She loves it and uses it when she watches him which is several times a week. The seat is super soft, it can be removed to wash, the foot rest raises and lowers, it has great sun coverage and folds up easily. I guess I'll be buying another one for our house! I've just been using the britax b agile still which weighs a ton lugging it in and out of the car.

• ^ that's awesome! Thanks
  • I love my Stokke high chair. Easy to clean and he can sit at the table too
  • For those with older kids... this booster care seat was featured in Parent Magazine recently and looks really cool!

https://www.mifold.com/

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

cait7425 said:

Can someone explain to me why car seats have an expiration date? DH thought it was ridiculous when I told him that, and refuses to buy a new one when we have a second kid.

I think caitlinncunn answered this well, but have your DH talk to a certified car seat tech. They should be able to tell him, and make it sound impressive and reasonable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not baby related but anyone into fitness...

I just bought the cheap sports bra for $32 and was still able to get the $70 pants for free!

• Interesting.. I got that email too. Maybe I'll check them out. I'm starting to mentally prepare myself to take some classes/workout somehow hah so I might need some
  • ^^I am a big fan of vsx work out gear. I pretty much exclusively use their sports bras. They are the only ones I have found that I can actually get tight enough to be comfortable for high impact work outs. I.e. they keep everything in place.
  • ^^they appear to be running low on some of the pants (sizes). The ones I wanted were only in size XS. (Which might have fit me when I was 11).

So if you're thinking of shopping, get on it quick! I did find one combo I liked, so I ordered it. Good to hear the bras are good. I need some extra support these days.
  • I ordered too! I figured it might make me do some kind of exercise..
  • Talk to me about baby proofing. Any products that are better than others? (had no idea how many types of cabinet locks were available) Things to not bother with?
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• mindaa said:

Talk to me about baby proofing. Any products that are better than others? (had no idea how many types of cabinet locks were available) Things to not bother with?

Ah, fantastic. Also things like stuff to prevent your flat screen from falling over, or secret things that we might not think of until our kid hurts themself
  • @cait7425 I think they have some sort of foam filling in them that shrinks over time, making the carseat unsafe
  • 423ang said:

^^they appear to be running low on some of the pants (sizes). The ones I wanted were only in size XS. (Which might have fit me when I was 11).

So if you're thinking of shopping, get on it quick! I did find one combo I liked, so I ordered it. Good to hear the bras are good. I need some extra support these days.

The availability literally changed every time I refreshed the page! I got the Mayan temple pants but there was no matching bra so I just did the confetti one I think .... Sorry this is so dear diary but I am so excited to have funky work out clothes :)
  • ^^hey, getting dressed is half the workout battle. Cute workout gear matters. There is a vsx flagship store where I live, and I love it!
  • Just broke my no amazon rule because I couldn't find a teething necklace in town. I got this in black. It came yesterday and it looks great, baby likes it too.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T2DUVIC/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?qid=1452294913&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=teething+necklace+for+mom