March 2016 Moms

Hospital Bag Checklist and Advice

skruhminskruhmin member
edited January 2016 in March 2016 Moms
Thought I'd start this thread since some of us are starting to think in this direction.  Thoughts from BTDT moms on hospital bags and what was very necessary (and not so much).  @BumpAdmin can we keep this at the top perhaps?
DS1 - 9/21/11
DS2 - 7/4/14
DS3 - 2/21/16
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

Re: Hospital Bag Checklist and Advice

• This is my list for a C-section momma. There are other things a labor info mom might want to bring for that process.

Chapstick

hair tie

Robe

Nursing pads

big ol' pads with wings

granny panties

comfy clothes

nursing bras and pads

phone and charger
    notepad

snacks for you and your partner

a book or kindle

makeup and hair brush

gum or mints

toothbrush and toothpaste

Slippers/flip flops

Socks

Contact lens case and solution

Empty bag for extras

A bag for hubby

For baby, an outfit or two, a hat, pacifier, blanket

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have your husband pack his own stuff if he's staying with you.  I was so focused on baby and myself that I missed so many things first and second time and his mom had to do a few Walmart runs. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • Electrolyte drink (like Gatorade or a natural one like Recharge) for during labor and after delivery.  You are working hard so you will need to stay hydrated.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• My hubby had to go home and pack his own bag (which consisted of two change of clothes, toothbrush, a cap and razor) with my DD because I didn't think of him at all.  I would also recommend packing a few snacks and cup of noodles for him.

For myself and baby: a few changes of comfy clothes (including nursing bra), cell phone, camera, chargers, socks, lotion (both facial and body, and chapstick), toothbrush and a go-home outfit are necessary.  I wore the same pair of flip flops that I walked into the hospital with.  

Other things that most hospitals will provide (but probably safe to double check first) are: mesh undies, gigantic pads, rinse bottles for your private part, towels, baby formula, diapers and wipes.  The nurses also gave me some nipple cream and nursing pads as well.
  • Baby book (my hospital will give you prints of feet and hands), nipple cream, boppy pillow, shampoo and conditioner, face wash, a towel if your hospital gives crappy ones, pillow if u are picky, folder for important docs, work contact and insurance contact info if they need to be notified, and feminine care products you are particular about (spray, etc.) a gift for older child if that's your thing, clothes for baby pics or family pics if your hospital or you have set them up (we are doing both), birth plan if that's your thing, diaper cream if your hospital doesn't give it- putting it on baby regularly after birth keeps the black poop off them, and they are easier to clean without having to wipe hard. Gotta have the car seat too. Mittens for baby to avoid them scratching their face. Pump if u plan to use one- good time to talk to lc about it even if u don't use it during your stay. Pack a bag for other children if they will be staying away from home or possibly going to hospital with u until a sitter gets them. I actually started my list at home last night, so I'll post again if I think about something else.
  • In the baby for hubby: add change for the vending machine, Tylenol or exedrine (dh got a killer headache from the stress) and deodorant (again, high stress levels made dh want extra)
    For baby: outfit to go home in, blanket, car seat, few diapers/wipes/butt cream. Our hospital gives a few diapers, one newborn outfit per baby, plus one hat and blanket (we have a shop that works with them and people donate new stuff for the hospital to give the babies). They also cloth the baby while you are in there and recommend that you don't put your own clothes on the baby while there as some of the nurses don't ask whether the outfit is theirs or not. They of course wash and dry their own, so if you dress the baby, you might not get the outfit back.
    For you: comfy house slippers were a must. Otherwise, pp seam to have everything down.
  • Everything seems pretty covered so far!

Wipes - our hospital doesn't provide wipes, so we bring some. They have little clothes that you can wet and use but we found them to be a pain and just brought our own wipes last time. So you might want to check with your hospital

This is our third baby, so we will also bring a present from the new baby for the older two when they come to visit. Just something small from the baby

• FTM, but a lot of my mom friends also recommended a pair of warm comfy socks in the hospital bag. They say their feet got cold being in those stirrups and just in general their ankle socks were not cutting it.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Our hospital was not as DH friendly.  While they did have a sofa that made into a sort of bed, he still needed a pillow and blankets - my inlaws brought them for him.  When I finally got to take a shower, poor DH still hadn't gotten one either, and he helped me, so we really should have brought him his own face towel and big towel (they only gave us enough for me).  Lots of change for the drink machine and packed snacks he likes.  We had a middle of the night baby and DH really could have used all the caffeine.

Things I was really glad I packed for me:  a huge soft comfy robe, slippers, and the biggest PJ pants I could find.  I hurt so much after labor that I really needed everything to be super baggy.  I stayed in a hospital gown a lot of the time and only really got to change into my clothes when we moved rooms (they dismissed me but DS was having trouble regulating his blood sugar). 

I second @alligreer88on the folder for important papers and make sure to leave the house with all your insurance cards and everything. 

Our hospital provided diapers, wipes, and clothing for the baby until we were ready to leave (make sure to ask what your hospital provides so you can pack accordingly).  I brought two different outfits for LO for leaving.  One would have been huge on him - even though they were both the same size - so we were glad to have the second on hand.

I was really glad we brought our fancy camera.  I love the pictures my husband took (despite me looking like I'd been in a boxing match in all of them).

• smushi said:
    Our hospital was not as DH friendly.  While they did have a sofa that made into a sort of bed, he still needed a pillow and blankets - my inlaws brought them for him.  When I finally got to take a shower, poor DH still hadn't gotten one either, and he helped me, so we really should have brought him his own face towel and big towel (they only gave us enough for me).  Lots of change for the drink machine and packed snacks he likes.  We had a middle of the night baby and DH really could have used all the caffeine.

Things I was really glad I packed for me:  a huge soft comfy robe, slippers, and the biggest PJ pants I could find.  I hurt so much after labor that I really needed everything to be super baggy.  I stayed in a hospital gown a lot of the time and only really got to change into my clothes when we moved rooms (they dismissed me but DS was having trouble regulating his blood sugar). 

I second @alligreer88on the folder for important papers and make sure to leave the house with all your insurance cards and everything. 

Our hospital provided diapers, wipes, and clothing for the baby until we were ready to leave (make sure to ask what your hospital provides so you can pack accordingly).  I brought two different outfits for LO for leaving.  One would have been huge on him - even though they were both the same size - so we were glad to have the second on hand.

I was really glad we brought our fancy camera.  I love the pictures my husband took (despite me looking like I'd been in a boxing match in all of them).

Yeah I lived in the hospital gown at least the first 24 hours just because of being swollen and hurting - and easy access for the bathroom, right?  But then PJ pants for the win. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I'm so glad to have this thread! I'm a stm but I never had the chance to pack my hospital bag. This time I started early lol.
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Great lists! 

The only things on my list that I didn't see here were:
    1. Nursing cover. This will depend on your level of comfort nursing in front of people/your stance on visitors, but I didn't mind nursing while visitors were there as long as I had my cover.
    2. Nursing tank. I wore a nursing tank with my robe over it the whole time. And my two cents on pants: I never wore any. Haha. I bled through the underwear, didn't want to ruin my clothes, and just kept the blanket over my legs when people stopped by!
    3. Any prescription meds you take regularly. I'm on anxiety meds and if I miss even a day I start to go crazy. Haha. 

Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • Thanks for starting this!
    So far, I have all the basics for me covered and have put a few things for baby together - but I'll definitely be having a look at these lists to see if/what I've missed!

All seems a tad daunting to think about when my brain has officially stopped working lol
  • MelodyagsMelodyags member
    edited January 2016
    I'm already packed and teady since I'm down to 4 weeks before csection. I have in mine 2 nightgowns, 8 pair of undies + I'll use hospital ones, 2 pair pjs, robe, 2 bras, slippers, outfit to wear home, extra hair tie, shampoo, hairbrush, razor, deoderant, toothbrush and paste, pen, paper, word find and phone charger for myself. For baby I have 1 blanket and 1 snuggle wrap, 4 outfits to decide from for hospital picture and her to wear, bunting for her to wear home. They said I may be there up to a week.
  • Don't under estimate the number of undies and other clothes, maybe I'm a freak but a drop of blood or wet from the diaper ice pads and I had to change. I used the hospital net undies for a day but then probably changed mine 2-3'times a day after that. Honestly, I threw probably 4 pairs away because it didn't seem worth it to rinse and pack them home. I sent my mom to buy more before one of her visits. She came with granny panties 3 sizes bigger than i usually bought and I was thrilled!!! My hospital was pretty skimpy on baby clothes too, they had used blankets and random used shirts that had been donated, etc. once the original onesie came off, I put my own clothes on her (white onesies with side snaps or gowns), again changing multiple times a day- I'm sure this varies by hospital.
  • The only time I changed into my own clothes was when I was going home. I only wore the gown, underwear, and slippers the hospital gave me. I didn't have any visitors and I just didn't care lol. Just keep that in mind and try not to over pack. The hospital I delivered at had everything I needed: nipple cream, pads, tucks, spray bottle, etc, clothes for baby, diapers, wipes. I did bring my own toothbrush, shampoo, face wash, etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I wore the hospital gown the whole time too. It made going to the bathroom and nursing so easy. I did bring a light cotton robe to wear over it, which was nice so that my booty didn't hang out when I waddled about. I didn't wear that in bed though, just when I got up to do things. Most hospitals will give you a second robe doe this purpose though, so it wasn't necessary.

I feel like this time as long as I have the essentials I need (contact case and solution, glasses, toothbrush and paste, lotion, Chapstick, earplugs) and my phone and charger I'll be fine. My husband can be in charge of packing what he needs. I'm just bringing one outfit to change little man into to go home. Keeping it simple this time. :smile:
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Just an FYI your body will be starting a major hormonal rollercoaster which means hot flashes quickly turning to freezing ballz.  I'd do clothing to cover the extremes.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I liked having nursing pjs in a dress form with a robe. If I had a c section I would go with nursing pjs with pants and a robe. I was comfortable and there was easy access.

I'm anti-lanolin but love the ameda nipple cooling pads.

• STM- I plan on bringing my Medela Pump in style advance to hospital so the LC can make sure I'm using it correctly....... Hubby tried to help me measure my nipples to see which flange I'll need since it only comes with a 24mm and I want to be prepared (read: type A personality)... Anyway, what extra pump parts did you end up needing to successfully pump or for sanity (ex: extra flanges so I won't need to wash the same set constantly)

I want to build a stash and develop a great supply before returning to school in August so my baby will get breast milk until 1... I will need to order anything extra from Amazon/Internet as there isn't a store that carries these types of things in Key West (driving to Miami is the only way to see basic stores that are everywhere else!) so being prepared ahead of time is very important!
  • tJaffe said:
    STM- I plan on bringing my Medela Pump in style advance to hospital so the LC can make sure I'm using it correctly....... Hubby tried to help me measure my nipples to see which flange I'll need since it only comes with a 24mm and I want to be prepared (read: type A personality)... Anyway, what extra pump parts did you end up needing to successfully pump or for sanity (ex: extra flanges so I won't need to wash the same set constantly) I want to build a stash and develop a great supply before returning to school in August so my baby will get breast milk until 1... I will need to order anything extra from Amazon/Internet as there isn't a store that carries these types of things in Key West (driving to Miami is the only way to see basic stores that are everywhere else!) so being prepared ahead of time is very important!
    FYI pumps are only really meant to be used for a year, so I would look into ordering a new one through insurance - for best efficiency and so you have a working one on hand at all times - use your current one as a backup.  I would have all replaceable parts in spares just in case, including the tubing. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Sorry I didn't make it clear... I'm a FTM, I just got my pump through my insurance this week. I was looking for advice from a STM as to what parts they needed extra of or what not so I could be better prepared. Island living has its perks but also its downfalls.
  • Yeah, saw "STM" and assumed.  Sorry.  Unfortunately now may be kind of hard for you to get a good nipple measurement for after birth - everything can change.  But the default 24mm is a great starting place.  And if you have Amazon Prime, the 2-day free delivery is great if it doesn't fit.  But yes, have all replaceable parts as spares.  Not sure where you ordered through but some of the medical supply providers will send free replacements at certain intervals - mine did last time at the 3 month mark, which was great timing because things did start wearing out. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I had an extra set of everything at work when I pumped. There were a couple of times where I accidentally just grabbed the bag without putting the bottles and other parts back in after I had washed them. The first time I had to have my husband drop them off, and after that I just kept an extra set just in case.

I pumped in my classroom with a hands free nursing bra and a nursing cover (just in case - a maintenance person walked in on me twice, even though I had a sign up) so I could answer emails or whatever.

If you have a mini fridge in your room you can just rinse the parts and put them in the fridge between uses.

Look up milk storage guidelines and make sure you rotate through your freezer stash even before you go back to work so that you don't end up tossing old milk. Everyone has different opinions on this, but I liked the milk storage bags and how easy they were to stack in the freezer.

• Also, don't assume you will be able to 100% feed baby and get weeks/months ahead of feeding. From personal experience, it may not happen regardless how diligent you are about feeding and pumping- but I 100% encourage you to try your hardest, as I will be again as well. As far as extra parts, I really never thought about having spares with dd1 and thankfully never needed them but I can see how it's a good idea. I did look at extra "nice to have" items this time around and it all seemed unnecessary. I placed my insurance order and will have the pump, a bag to carry it, insulated lunch box type bag, freezer packs, and milk bags. Am I forgetting anything? I'll be pumping at work starting at 8 weeks and will fridge/freeze as needed. I'll have a nice private area with sink and refrigeration at work.
  • Also I know you want to build up a stash, but the best advice I've heard (and experienced) was to focus on nursing first and foremost.  Take the first few weeks to do that and start that relationship with your baby.  I know a lot of women start from the very beginning and they actually create an oversupply.  If you're returning back to work around 6 weeks, I'd start pumping between 3-4 weeks.

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• What @skruhmin said. You really should not pump for the first 3 to 4 weeks, because essentially you're telling your boobs to bump up the milk production, which could result in oversupply. While oversupply might sound like a good thing, it really isn't and can cause all kinds of problems. I've had oversupply both times, without pumping, and it really is a nightmare to deal with. So just feed baby on demand for the first month to 6 weeks, then start pumping.
  • alligreer88alligreer88 member
    edited January 2016
    Agree with previous two posts, this was basically how i did dd1. just keep in mind regardless of how "right" or "wrong" you go about it, you might not ever make enough to "get ahead" I battled feeling like I made enough the.entire.time. And I was diligent. Don't assume each time you pump you'll get a bag to store and then an hour later be able to also feed your baby, it simply doesn't always work this way. Talk to your lc or doctor about when to pump, etc, when adding this to babies latch schedule.
  • I hate a rough time pumping (luckily I was only pumping for date nights and a few overnight trips we had planned when he was 5 & 9 months) so I definitely would listen to the suggestions of Mom's who exlusively pumped.

I'd bring your pump to ask questions but also ask if you can set up an appointment 2/3/4 weeks post partum to get pumping 101. You'll be more mentally alert and be more in a BFing rythm. I agree about other PPs not to pump too early or you may have oversupply at a week 2ish (I think like 10 days post partum) I started pumping (by the advice of my doctor) because my supply was a little low, it did help! But if I had a regular supply I can see how that would be rough!
  • Thank you for all the advice! I'll be home with the baby for nearly 5 months (I'm a teacher and will be on summer break after my 12 weeks unpaid FMLA)... Ill definitely be making future appointments with the LC to just be sure we're doing things right/okay. :)
  • tJaffe said:
    Thank you for all the advice! I'll be home with the baby for nearly 5 months (I'm a teacher and will be on summer break after my 12 weeks unpaid FMLA)... Ill definitely be making future appointments with the LC to just be sure we're doing things right/okay. :)
    Some hospitals offer free LC services or breastfeeding mommy groups that you can drop in.  I wish I did that because I ended up spending $150 to see an LC that wasn't too helpful with DD.
  • Another vote for just focus on nursing at first.  Feeding your baby on demand (and there will be a LOT of demand!) is really all you should be doing for the first 3-4 weeks at least.  I know I tried pumping once or twice during the first few weeks and didn't get much milk (because ds was nursing every 2 hours or so) and got really concerned and frustrated, over nothing.  The only time I had much sucess really building a freezer stash is when my kids started sleeping longer stretches at night (5-6hrs).  So for ex. I would pump a few hours after they went to bed then I'd have plenty of milk for them when they woke up a few hours after that.  Then when they started STTN I would be so insanely full that I'd let the baby nurse off one side and pump the other and get a TON of milk.  Eventually your body catches on and starts making less, but for a while you can really stash away the milk.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pumped from day 2- my milk came in while I was still at the hospital and I was so thankful to have the help of the nurses and an LC. They gave me a manual pump and showed me how to use it; from the time my milk came in LO would only eat from 1 side so I had a very uneven and painful time adjusting. I think I ended up making my problem worse though, because I had engorgement that lasted for over 2 months. I was a slave to feeding AND the pump.

I'm not planning on bringing any bf supplies to the hospital this time because they had everything for me last time, and I want to take advantage of that again!

• tJaffe said:
    STM- I plan on bringing my Medela Pump in style advance to hospital so the LC can make sure I'm using it correctly....... Hubby tried to help me measure my nipples to see which flange I'll need since it only comes with a 24mm and I want to be prepared (read: type A personality)... Anyway, what extra pump parts did you end up needing to successfully pump or for sanity (ex: extra flanges so I won't need to wash the same set constantly) I want to build a stash and develop a great supply before returning to school in August so my baby will get breast milk until 1... I will need to order anything extra from Amazon/Internet as there isn't a store that carries these types of things in Key West (driving to Miami is the only way to see basic stores that are everywhere else!) so being prepared ahead of time is very important!
    I would check with your hospital first. Are you planning on pumping the whole time? Or are you going to try nursing first? We tried nursing and my milk wasn't in yet since I delivered early, so the lactation consultant had me pump to sort of jump start the milk coming in and then they fed her through a syringe. BUT, the hospital gave me all brand new parts and a hospital grade pump to use while I was there (and let me take all of the parts home with me minus the pump). If I needed anything at all, they were just a phone call away. I ended up using a different brand pump once I got home. They also supplied me with a small basin and small bottle of dish soap to wash parts in between pumps. I tried so hard with nursing for weeks...like 6 or 7. And it ended up being a giant battle that would end with my LO and myself both crying and it was horrible. She also wasn't gaining enough weight so I had to pump to see how much we were giving her and then I ended up exclusively pumping for 11 months. Pumping can be very awkward, but so can nursing. You have to get used to either and it's a learning process. Try to set up something with a lactation consultant as soon as possible! 
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes I also got the pump parts from the hospital and they brought in the hospital grade pump for me to use for when I was there.  I had some complication after delivery so my milk wasn't coming in and they made me pump 3 times a day and had DD nurse regularly.  It did help to get the milk going before I left the hospital.

My nipples grew during the first month after delivery.  I started out with the standard 24mm and had to move up to 26mm by week 2.  
  • Call me crazy but with my 1st DD I sent my mom to get "Granny panties" she returned with depends and I've never looked back since! Lol! I had a 3rd degree tear with my 1st and it wasnt an easy task cleaning and medicating every hr or so! The depends were a life saver! Needless to say they were in the bag while packing for 2nd DD and will certainly be in the bag for this DD!! No worries or ruining undies or fighting with mesh hospital undies. You can tear it off, throw it away and start all over (CLEAN) with each bathroom/cleaning/medicating trip!!!
    Also I second the pillow and blanket for Hubby and a small gift for older children to feel included while everyone is loving on new baby:)
  • jodiec89 said:

Call me crazy but with my 1st DD I sent my mom to get "Granny panties" she returned with depends and I've never looked back since! Lol! I had a 3rd degree tear with my 1st and it wasnt an easy task cleaning and medicating every hr or so! The depends were a life saver! Needless to say they were in the bag while packing for 2nd DD and will certainly be in the bag for this DD!! No worries or ruining undies or fighting with mesh hospital undies. You can tear it off, throw it away and start all over (CLEAN) with each bathroom/cleaning/medicating trip!!!
    Also I second the pillow and blanket for Hubby and a small gift for older children to feel included while everyone is loving on new baby:)

I've heard this quite a bit! FTM here, so how long do you need to wear them? I've got 10 weeks left to due date, but I just started collecting items for my bag. I was looking at Amazon and for $50 they have 4 packs of 12 each.... Is 48 too many or not enough?
  • My bleeding was only heavier than a period for a couple days, then it was like a two week period. I'm sure everyone varies. My sil only bled three days total. Once I left the hospital regular pads were okay for me. I've bought one large bag of super heavy with wings and put about 10 in my hospital bag. Ill probably use hospital supplies until I head home, I only packed ten just to be sure. This is probably tmi, but I remember the smell being overwhelming at the hospital, like gagging me when I would be changing underwear and pad. I worried about my whole hospital room smelling- probably all in my head. I've thrown a mini size bottle of Lysol spray in my bag to keep in my hospital bathroom for the smell and for drips on the floor. But I also packed sanitizing wipes and anti bac hand lotion so maybe I'm just weird.
  • StormiewinterStormiewinter member
    edited January 2016
    So on the c section hospital bag train here and am expecting a 4 day stay (hospital protocol is 90 hours). Based on the things I sent Dh for or wished I'd had at hand last time, I am packing:

Hair ties (I lost the one I had and looked like Albert Einstein until Dh finally grabbed some for home)
    Brush
    Granny panties
    Throat lozenges (dry cough with c section scar is no joke)
    Comfy lounge clothes
    Sleep nursing bra
    Nursing pads
    Nipple cream
    Chap stick
    Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste and toothbrush (travel size)
    Phone charger
    Phone
    DVD player (was a godsend for late night feedings)
    DVD case
    Boppy
    Toy for ds