Lola

oaklcjoaklcj member
edited December 2015 in Baby Names
What do think of the name Lola?
Good?
Bad?
Terrible?
Too short? Too informal?
Is it a nickname for a longer more formal name?
Thanks!

Re: Lola

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not the world's most masculine man
    But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man.
    And so is Lola.
    Lo lo lo lo Lola. Lo lo lo lo lola.

Anyway.

I think The Kinks Lola and Barry Manilows Lola are very iconic, and it could prove an awkward namesake. I like the name Lola, I think it's cute. But I wouldn't use it on a person.

BTN says it's a diminutive of Delores, perhaps Delores or Delora nn Lola?

Agreed. I like it but wouldn't use it due to this unless it was a nn.

• Options

I'm not the world's most masculine man
    But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man.
    And so is Lola.
    Lo lo lo lo Lola. Lo lo lo lo lola.

Anyway.

I think The Kinks Lola and Barry Manilows Lola are very iconic, and it could prove an awkward namesake. I like the name Lola, I think it's cute. But I wouldn't use it on a person.

BTN says it's a diminutive of Delores, perhaps Delores or Delora nn Lola?

A friend just named her baby Lola and all I could think was "boys will be girls and girls will be boys... La la la Lola".

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    My hubby is a HUGE kinks fan, it's his fav band and were pretty sure we're going with Charlotte Victoria .... Lola is a NN for Charlotte and Victoria is a really awesome kinks song.

It's mostly just coinsidnce though, I've had he name Charlotte picked out well before it was cool ;)

But yeah I'd use it for a NN lots of actual names have the NN as Lola.
  • Options
    I'm going to disagree with everyone else and say I like the name Lola. It is a diminutive, so I think a longer formal name may be good, but Lola is very pretty and unusual.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I know someone who named her baby Lola (after her grandmother) and no one has mentioned the song.
  • Options
    Thank you! I did not think of that song but now I can't get it out of my mind! I will have to look at longer names with that nickname!
  • Options
    I think Lola is a nice name. I didn't even think of that song until I read the other comments.
  • Options
    My sister recently moved to Atlanta and reports Lola is very popular there with young children in her circle.
  • Options
    I like Lola and I don't know anything about that song.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    It's fine as a NN. But my first thought was Barry Manilow. Also I know so many dogs named Lola. Maybe it's just me.

• Options
    I think of the song - where Lola was a showgirl. Also, in my husband's culture - Lola is the name given to grandmothers. 
  • Options
    My friends dog is names Lola. That being said, I don't detest the name, cause at least it's feminine. Lola is technically a nn for Dolores but that may not be your style (Although Dee is also a cute nn from Dolores)
    Maybe it could be a nn for Lorelei, Lourdes, Lauren, Lolita, Layla or perhaps use Lola for a cute middle name
  • Options
    I really love Lola. I've heard of it as a nickname for Charlotte and Penelope as well. Penelope/Lola was on my list but DH vetoed
  • Options
    I love Lola
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like it!!