February 2016 Moms

What special items are you putting in dad's hospital bag?

When I was pregnant with my first, I found this cute idea to pack a couple surprises in my husband's hospital bag.  I got him several hunting magazines and some snacks that he didn't know about.  (He did choose a couple snacks himself.)  But this time, I can't think of anything!  What are you packing for dad other than the usual items?
Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What special items are you putting in dad's hospital bag?

• I'm probably not going to surprise him with anything but I know we'll get some of his favorite snacks and I'm going to make sure his tablet is charged and ready to go. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband is responsible for packing his own bag. I will pack snacks for all of us and include stuff he likes, too.

• This is a great idea!! I refuse to tell him what outfits she is going to wear at the hospital (they're the ones he picked out saying how much she loves daddy) but I like this better! My husband is an avid gamer, so I'll probably buy him something new for his computer set up. With a note saying "good luck trying to ever use this" :lol:

I just bought him some nice slippers for Christmas but I think I'll get him a robe too. He gets really cold easily and really fast.
  • Red bulls!! Or maybe the Starbucks glass bottles.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• @kbette12 our hospital has a tv hook up for xbox or ps4 through our hospital bed frame some how is hooked up to the tv (they have it like this so the system doesn't have cords in the way of the doctors. You can put it on the shelf and controllers are wireless so it doesn't make it a safety hazard)....something to check out!

We are bringing the Xbox! I am planning on getting him a new game or a fun one we both can play together. (it will be just us in the room and if the game system is getting in the way and making me miserable we will put it away...) but I'm also making him his favorite cookies and my homemade chex mix. I made a playlist of songs we first listened to when we started dating for some laughs. I also got a shirt that says AHHHHH I created a monster for hubby then baby has a onsie that says monster on it. Which he is clueless about and a couple other cute dad things.
  • LOL same in our home. DH loves his PS4. Me, not so much :)
  • DH isn't packing a bag this time. I think he only packed a bag the first time around, but he didn't with DS2 because he was going home every night to be with DS1. This time my parents are watching our boys while we're in the hospital, but DH is still planning to go home and sleep/shower because it will be more restful for everyone. I have snacks packed for me and I will be nice and share when him and the boys are up visiting, but I'm not packing anything special for him.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We live about 5-7 mins from our hospital so I'm really trying to keep the bag minimal.. But probably will throw in his favorite snacks as well and maybe his gameboy lol
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• DH threw a few things in a bag before we left. He didn't need much because he had to go home a couple times each day to check on things, feed the dogs, etc. Also, I went into labor at 3 am so by the time he was born at 2:30 pm I was STARVING! I cried when DS brought a sandwich in the L&D room so he ate it in the hall. LOL

• What a great idea! Hubby probably won't stay overnight after the baby is born since we have a 2 year old and we don't want to disrupt his schedule too much, but I want to pack some things for hubby in case it's a long or overnight labor like last time.
    Loving the idea of snacks.
  • Favorite snacks. I'll bring our laptop and HDMI so we can watch Netflix. Even though we have never really watched TV while in the hospital. Hoping not to deliver in the middle of the night this time around so I won't be as exhausted. We'll see:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Well we will be there as long as it takes to push that baby out then head home around 3 hours later. But I am planning to make sure I bring his favorite snacks and a few sandwiches. Ill pack his favorite sweats and hoodie and slippers. Pillow and blanket. He's going to be my rock while I labor so I want to make sure he's comfortable. I labored 27 hours with my first and have no idea how long I'll labor with this one. He's never experienced this before so he has no clue what a marathon it can be. I need him happy and comfortable so he can support me through my labor. So I guess I'm not really packing surprises so much as things I know he will wish he had.
  • VitaLuna said:
    I'm sorry but this may be my cranky tired pregnant self but I don't see a reason to pack surprises/gifts for DH when I'm going to be in labor. It's like giving him a push present and he didn't do anything. Plus I know if he needs or wants anything mil or my mom will cater to him(they both spoil him) I'll obviously pack the necessities; clean clothes, pjs, toothbrush, snacks....and I'll have my laptop or iPad.
    Don't worry, you're not alone on the grumpy fence. My H is a grown man and can be responsible for his own stuff. And FWIW, he won't be packing any "surprises" for me, either. Baby will be plenty a gift for us.
    Agreed. That's why I'm not packing any surprises either. The only reason I'm even making sure the tablet is ready to go is because he uses it all the time and I want to be able to watch Netflix or something if I feel like it/am able to 
  • VitaLuna said:
    I'm sorry but this may be my cranky tired pregnant self but I don't see a reason to pack surprises/gifts for DH when I'm going to be in labor. It's like giving him a push present and he didn't do anything. Plus I know if he needs or wants anything mil or my mom will cater to him(they both spoil him) I'll obviously pack the necessities; clean clothes, pjs, toothbrush, snacks....and I'll have my laptop or iPad.
    Don't worry, you're not alone on the grumpy fence. My H is a grown man and can be responsible for his own stuff. And FWIW, he won't be packing any "surprises" for me, either. Baby will be plenty a gift for us.

I'm with you two on this one, plus his ass is in charge of packing ME sandwiches when early labor starts.

*Kate*

February 2016

• My husband never packed a bag for over night stay. He would just being a bag for extra clothes since he didn't want to stay in uniform. All he needs is his phone, wallet and charger. He will be heading back home with our three little ones once I deliver and get situated. But definitely bring change/cash if you definitely see your husband wanting vending machine snacks.
  • Lurking from March.
    I didn't realize women packed surprises for their husbands. And as much as DH and I both love the ps4, there's no way I'm dragging that thing to the hospital and then back home along with a newborn, it's just not happening. Idk if DH plans on staying overnight or not, but if so he can pack his own bag and get himself "surprises", I'm more worried about a healthy baby.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Sorry if this is bitchy but just no. STM here and I didn't even do this with my first. And gaming systems? I could barely function due to recovery from a c section, lack of sleep and a poor mix of all the drugs they gave me. When we had 20 min downtime all we wanted to do was rest.

Ella Rose

1/17/15 born via IVF w/ ICSI

Spontaneous Twins!

Due January 2016

Follow our Journey

• I'm not worried about my husband. Worried about myself and baby. He's a big boy, I don't need to pack him something special. I'm the one whose having the baby for crying out loud!

Mommy to my Angel baby Domenico Anjelo M/C 11 weeks 12/20/2014
    C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks
    BFP 6/15 /15 Due: 2/25/16

• baya5 said:
    I'm not packing his bag, but I want to be in control of what snacks are there, hence I will be packing them.  And I will throw in a few of his favorites 1. to be nice and 2. to not have to hear him complain about being hungry/the expensive cafeteria.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• RRC216 said:

I'm not worried about my husband. Worried about myself and baby. He's a big boy, I don't need to pack him something special. I'm the one whose having the baby for crying out loud!

Not sure if this is a glitch since I'm mobile but the icon I see is of my avatar and baby for this poster? @BumpAdmin
  • VitaLuna said:

baya5 said:

I'm sorry but this may be my cranky tired pregnant self but I don't see a reason to pack surprises/gifts for DH when I'm going to be in labor. It's like giving him a push present and he didn't do anything. Plus I know if he needs or wants anything mil or my mom will cater to him(they both spoil him)
    I'll obviously pack the necessities; clean clothes, pjs, toothbrush, snacks....and I'll have my laptop or iPad.

Right there with both of you. Whatever he wants, he can pack for his own damn self. Haha! we live so close I highly doubt he will bring a bag at all, but if he does, it won't be done by me.
  • VitaLuna said:

Wait, I take that back. I will be packing gum and mints for him. Last think I need is someone in my face with stinky breath.

I posted my first comment before I saw this comment. So funny, I already have been saying the same thing and bought a 3-pack of Altoids to pack in my bag. Haha!
  • DH will pack his own bag but I am putting snacks we both enjoy, our phone chargers and swim trunks for him into my labour bag. We will only bring one bag into the hospital when in labour.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't understand why I would be surprising my husband when he should be surprising me lol. And why is everyone so concerned about snacks? They sell things at the hospital and he, or another family member, can just walk outside and pick everyone up food. Or have food delivered... Packing food seems weird to me. Who wants a soggy samdwich? He can walk down the block and grab a slice of pizza if he's so hungry.
    I won't be having any family members while I'm in labor. My hospital is very locked down and I'm not sure they'd allow food delivery. Cafeteria food is expensive. Lastly, my ex-husband left to go eat while I was in labor with my oldest and almost missed his birth. So that's why people are so concerned with snacks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Achae it's different in mine, not your avatar. So either it was changed or it was a glitch! (Hoping it was the latter)
  • VitaLuna said:

I'm embarrassed for those of you bringing gaming systems. *Those* patients were always the talk of the nurse's station, and not in a good way.

Our hospital encourages us to bring in whatever will make us/SO comfortable. I've only ever heard the nurses talk about how they wish they had more time to play with their patients (they can request time to hang out with us since it's one-two nurses to a patient, depending on how many people are on the floor, wicked cool to me). I'm too lazy to pack my GameCube, because that's my favorite console, and the wires are too short to reach from the TV in those rooms, but I would do it if I wasn't so lazy!
    If I was doing a home birth you can guarantee my husband and I would be playing League until this baby was completely ready to pop out. It's relaxing, why be embarrassed if they're happy? :smile:
  • @Achae I wouldn't worry this happens to me all the time on mobile, it's just a glitch! It can be freaky though lol.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Okay whew I was reading the comment at first like when the heck did I post that?! I mean I won't be packing any surprises for my husband but I bet if I brought up the ps4 idea he'd be game (for him, not me lol).
  • How is bringing a gaming system "embarrassing" or "the laughing stock of the hospital" I'm being induced and been warned it can be a VERY long process. I'd rather play video games get my mind off of labor then sit there flipping through channels. Its no different then a tablet or laptop. Its not like my husband is going to ignore me and play it....he knows better. Plus it has been a rough couple years we both lost a parent and anything to keep a smile on his face (not that this baby wont.... It's just going to be emotional for both of us) I'm all for. How's video games any different the binge watching Netflix? Plus after baby is out its not like hes going to be playing it till we go home.

Some people are so judgemental and worry what others around will think.