March 2016 Moms

Glucose screening.

Re: Glucose screening.

• Sitting here waiting. Just drank my nasty orange crap and now getting ny blood drawn at 9:15. I am HANGRY!!!
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I get drawn at 9:11, then it will be off to McD's for breakfast!!! So bad, yet so good!!! Haha!
  • Loading the player...
  • Taking my test now.. I would definitely suggest Orange..lol.. Its just like flat orange soda..lol.. Hope everything comes back good... Cuz lord knows ive been craving nothing but sweets thia entire pregnancy..smh
  • Just chugged some cold orange trutol, fingers crossed for a pass!
  • I had fruit punch flavor and had to drink it in 5 minutes...I drank it in 2 minutes

• I took mine at 28 weeks too!
  • Dreading mine tomorrow, I feel like I will fail.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Passed my 3 hour. So those of you that failed your 1 hour, don't be overly concenred. Dr said my 3 hr numbers were perfect!
  • I just did my 1 hr. I got the fruit punch. It wasn't bad. The Doctor said I was lucky because he's had people vomit because of it before.
  • I just got a message from my doc saying the cutoff for passing the 1-hour glucose test is 135 and I failed with a 144. I now have to go in for the 3-hour, which I am dreading. I am so upset by this, as I do everything right. Lots of greens, protein, exercise, etc. Has anyone had this number before and passed the 3 hour? I am also 34 yrs old and my grandfather had diabetes. Does this make it more likely that I will indeed have GD no matter what I do?

Ps - I didn't realize this thread already existed so you might see this same post in a completely separate discussion I started. I apologize for that!
    image"">
  • @Orion815 I answered you in your other post but wanted to add that diabetes runs in my family too but I still passed my 3 hour one :) good luck when you take it and let us know your results.
  • @Orion815 I think my 1 hr was 146. Passed the 3 hr no issues.
  • I took my 1 hours test last week Thursday (12/3) and still have not heard the results yet. No news is good news?? I hope so!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My doctor told me to do it at 28 weeks im 25 weeks today! Not looking forward to it at all i had asked for alternatives and wouldn't let me. I been having a big food aversion to sweet things during this pregnancy so i am not too big of a fan of drinking a really sugary drink with tons of chemicals in it i wish i could just skip it all together
  • crosas15 said:

My doctor told me to do it at 28 weeks im 25 weeks today! Not looking forward to it at all i had asked for alternatives and wouldn't let me. I been having a big food aversion to sweet things during this pregnancy so i am not too big of a fan of drinking a really sugary drink with tons of chemicals in it i wish i could just skip it all together

The drink doesn't really have tons of chemicals in it. The ingredients list is fairly short. It's not a lot of fun to drink it, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • I hate sugar drinks that's why I think it's gross. It's the same yuck-factor level as a glass of Pepsi for me. Also if you're not used to drinking stuff like that you feel gross afterwards. I was nauseated, dizzy and tired like 30 minutes after. I forgot but my husband says that I was the same with our first. Apparently I came home after the test in the afternoon and slept til 8pm haha
  • I had my test yesterday morning - 2-hr is the standard at my practice. Passed by a longshot, but they had also ordered a CBC with my baseline, and it came back ever-so-slightly low on RBC, hemoglobin, and hematocrit. I saw my results online, so nobody has called me yet, but I'm wondering if the fasting could be the reason these were low. I'd hate to hear I'm anemic, but I had fasted from 10:45pm until 9:45am when I had the drink. (My doc said to fast at least 8 hours, but no more than 14 hours.) anyone else have a CBC done with their glucose test? if so, were those numbers low for you? I imagine they'll call tomorrow if there's an actual concern.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CranPlum I had a CBC with my 1 hour test also and was low in the same things as you and they never said anything to me.
  • Missed the 1-hr by 6 points. Off to do the 3-hr on Thursday...boo!
  • Fasting shouldn't really affect your CBC
  • Got my results at my appointment today and I passed, however, the blood work showed that I am anemic so I had to start taking a prescription iron supplement today and it made me so sick :( Noooo!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Well, its Monday and I still haven't heard the results from my test.  I see a doctor tomorrow (mine is out on vacation) but usually the office call me with results if something isn't right- like they did with my low-lying placenta after my ultrasounds.

I'm hoping no news is good news

• I passed my 3-hour! After i spectacularly failed the one-hour I didn't expect to pass.

Now to celebrate with a cookie (just kidding)
  • I passed my 3-hour! After i spectacularly failed the one-hour I didn't expect to pass.

Now to celebrate with a cookie (just kidding)

Gives me some hope after failing the 1-hr by only 6 points.
  • SarahJean1014SarahJean1014 member
    edited December 2015
    I'm taking my two hour test tomorrow, I know I need to fast for the test but should I also try to avoid sugar today?
  • I tried to minimize the carbs after I got a high number back on my 1-hour. Although physiologically it probably shouldn't matter.
  • Ugh I failed my 1 hour but not by much. On to the 3 hour I go!

• I just got the official call from my doctor that I am diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am absolutely devastated. I was SURE I passed the 3-hour because my 1-hour was only off by 4 points. But apparently I failed the 1-hour and 2-hour draws from the 3-hour. My fasting and last pull were fine. 

So now it's going to be scheduling appointments with nutritionists, diabetes counselors, etc. all just in time for the holidays next week. 

I am so upset right now. This was one of the things I was most anxious about but as I progressed I didn't think it was going to come true because I'm right on target for weight gain, wasn't overweight when I got pregnant, eat super healthy, and exercise every day. Lesson learned! No one is immune. 

I'll take this as a blessing in disguise and hope for an even healthier pregnancy for the last three months! If anyone out there has any advice, I'm open to listen! :) 
    image"">
  • Gestational Diabetes is a non-discriminate condition. I know PLENTY of women who are stick thin and eat very healthy who developed this condition.
  • I had the same issue on my 1 hour test. Got a 145 the first time around. Went back for the 3 hour and heard today I passed! Hopefully you will have the same result!
  • So sorry, @Orion815!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • skruhmin said:

kyraaD said:

how do you ladies find out the results & how long did it take? did they call you or do you have to call back a check in?

A nurse called me the day after I had it done.
    hmm. it's been over a week & i haven't recieved a call or anything :/ hoping no news is good news then..

@Orion815 sorry to hear that. love your positive outlook though!
  • ejverre said:

Got my results at my appointment today and I passed, however, the blood work showed that I am anemic so I had to start taking a prescription iron supplement today and it made me so sick :( Noooo!!!

Me too! I'm on day three of my supplements and feeling pretty lousy... I had to take most of the day off work and just go back to bed to sleep. I'm also so scared I'll now get constipated and all the yucky things that come with it, which I've been lucky enough to avoid so far. :( So I've been downing so many kiwi fruits after I take my pill.
  • Me too on the anemic issue. I've had it on and off since being a teen. Also, I found terrible constipation for about a year prior to pregnancy-I'd have week long period not going until i would run a temp and throw up- even after gastro appts and taking all the medications. I'm so worried about the iron. So far so good, I think pregnancy in general has helped, dr thought it might. I'm worried about post delivery-constipation and stitches don't mix. I also get to where all I can do is give up and lay down.
  • katy0990katy0990 member
    edited December 2015
    Orion815 said:

I just got the official call from my doctor that I am diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am absolutely devastated. I was SURE I passed the 3-hour because my 1-hour was only off by 4 points. But apparently I failed the 1-hour and 2-hour draws from the 3-hour. My fasting and last pull were fine. 

So now it's going to be scheduling appointments with nutritionists, diabetes counselors, etc. all just in time for the holidays next week. 

I am so upset right now. This was one of the things I was most anxious about but as I progressed I didn't think it was going to come true because I'm right on target for weight gain, wasn't overweight when I got pregnant, eat super healthy, and exercise every day. Lesson learned! No one is immune. 

I'll take this as a blessing in disguise and hope for an even healthier pregnancy for the last three months! If anyone out there has any advice, I'm open to listen! :) 
    I would be upset, too. That being said, I really think there is little you can do to avoid gestational diabetes. My 2 friends that had it were both very healthy people with lower bmi's than me, I'm sure. So please don't beat yourself up.

• Has anyone had experience with their glucose level coming back below the normal range? I pulled my test result online and it says mine came back at 53 after the 1 hour but 60-140 is the normal range. 

Haven't heard yet from my OBGYN, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

• lanatalia said:

Has anyone had experience with their glucose level coming back below the normal range? I pulled my test result online and it says mine came back at 53 after the 1 hour but 60-140 is the normal range. 

Haven't heard yet from my OBGYN, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Yes , mine almost always is and even in the first tri baseline bloodwork it comes back low. And the Drs have never mentioned anything about it. I only know from looking at my labs. I do however know that my blood sugar gets low easily during pregnancy so I have to really watch what I eat, especially for breakfast because the carb heavy cereal I would usually eat causes a major blood sugar crash about 2 hrs later and I'll get hot, sweaty, shakey and feel like I'm going to pass out. I have to make sure to eat eggs, or whole grain toast and peanut butter. I almost always have some sort of snack with me too.
    Do you ever feel like your blood sugar is low? You should bring it up to your dr if you do. I also see an endocrinologist for my thyroid issues so I actually asked her and she was able to give me a pamphlet about glycemic indexes to help keep my blood sugar stable.
  • Going to the lab tomorrow to do my 1-hr test. Here's hoping I pass!
  • lanatalia said:

Has anyone had experience with their glucose level coming back below the normal range? I pulled my test result online and it says mine came back at 53 after the 1 hour but 60-140 is the normal range. 

Yes , mine almost always is and even in the first tri baseline bloodwork it comes back low. And the Drs have never mentioned anything about it. I only know from looking at my labs. I do however know that my blood sugar gets low easily during pregnancy so I have to really watch what I eat, especially for breakfast because the carb heavy cereal I would usually eat causes a major blood sugar crash about 2 hrs later and I'll get hot, sweaty, shakey and feel like I'm going to pass out. I have to make sure to eat eggs, or whole grain toast and peanut butter. I almost always have some sort of snack with me too.
    Do you ever feel like your blood sugar is low? You should bring it up to your dr if you do. I also see an endocrinologist for my thyroid issues so I actually asked her and she was able to give me a pamphlet about glycemic indexes to help keep my blood sugar stable.
    Thank you! I didn't really think I felt like my blood sugar was low but when I look back I do get a lot of those crash and burn moments and then some nausea/fatigue when I'm hungry. I have also been eating a lot more carbs while pregnant and craving sugar, mostly fruit.

They have not called me but if they don't I think it's worth investigating at my next appointment.
  • Has anyone refused to take the 3 hour test?

I royally failed my 1 hour test with a 193 and the sugar spike and crash was so bad I missed work. I already know what the outcome of the 3 hour would be and I'd really rather just skip the torture and accept that I've got GD. My mom had it with both of her pregnancies and is now type 2 diabetic, so I'm really not surprised. I'm already used to using a glucose monitor (years of my mom chasing me around to make sure my levels were good), and I have no problem adjusting to a diabetic diet since that's what I grew up on.

Is there a point to the 3 hour other than just a diagnosis? And am I being completely irresponsible by not taking it even if I'm willing to just take the diagnosis and go from there?