C-sections
Options

"Gentle Cesarean"

I've read much about this and love the idea! My first was emergency, second was scheduled and this pregnancy I want skin to skin after delivery while the doctors finish up surgery. Any thoughts?

Re: "Gentle Cesarean"

• Options
    You'll have to check with the hospital and see if they do that. Some do, some dont. Mine doesnt, which is fine with me because the spinal makes me shakey and I don't want to risk dropping my baby. My husband brings me the baby and I get to touch him and snuggle his face with mine, which is enough for me. I agree that the idea of it is amazing though! If I wasn't so afraid of dropping the baby, I'd look into other hospitals :)
  • Options
    I've never heard of this, what is it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first was emergency and I remember being so shaky that I couldn't even hold her. My husband helped me to hold her for about 5 mins and then I had them take her. My second was planned and They brought her to me as soon as she was out and I was able to hold her the entire time while they stitched me up. It was amazing!! Funny thing is I didn't ask for that, I think it is just standard practice at the hospital where i delivered. If it's important to you, I would definitely advocate for it!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    My hospital let me do it, but I was so shaky that I handed him back after a few minutes
  • Options
    I asked for skin to skin contact which my hospital allowed providing that my husband held had a hand on her while she was on my chest. It was amazing! will definitely be doing this with my next child!
  • Options
    I had an emergency section - I got to see his screaming face ASAP then they checked him quickly (felt like forever but husband says just a few minutes) then we had him for the next 30 minutes or so. I remember he was chilling beside me when they wheeled me into recovery. But every hospital is different.

Good luck and don't be shy to ask.
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section with my first and if I have another baby, I definitely want a gentle c-section.  They are also called family-centered c-sections.  I just really want to be able to hold him/her right away and do skin to skin.  So between trying for a VBAC or a gentle c-section, I just want which ever will be most likely to let me do skin to skin immediately (and of course be safe for baby and me).

I came across this article today and it helped validate my feelings that I'd want to "shop" around for a doctor/hospital willing/able to do a gentle c-section when the time comes (assuming I can find something nearby):  https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/badass-breastfeeder/gentle-c-section
    It also has a link in the beginning to a video explaining the simple changes a hospital can do to make a gentle c-section work.