April 2016 Moms
Options

Opinions that are Unpopular

124»

Re: Opinions that are Unpopular

• Options
    AnyaZMAnyaZM member
    edited December 2015

Which part of Virginia? That's originally where I'm from but DH is in the Army and we are stationed in NC. The spiders are way worse here. When we first moved into our house we came home to 5 wolf spiders on our carpet. No thanks. Needless to say we sprayed the next day and adopted a cat.

@AnyaZM

Edit: messed up my quote

just looked up wolf spider. kind of wish I didn't.

I'm terrified of spiders. I don't even think terrified explains me. But yes, imagine coming home to 5 of those in your living room. They can be aggressive spiders as well and chase after you. We're on the base here in NC and instead of dirt we have sand so I think they like that more and because it stays hotter here longer we have more. It sucks.

edit: ok, this quote thing is out of control

I can't imagine. it is horrible. I completely understand you. I have the same horror towards insects, all of them. spiders. wasps. bees. I mean if it is in the room - I will shot the door and never go there umtil my husband comes home and kills them. I am so scared I can't even kill them or throw them away. one time I actually called the neigbour to come rescue me. she didn't btw. I start sweating, shaking, screaming and I can' t control it. in summer I dont go anywhere because its too hot and all those creatures are waiting for me lol. my mom asks me what example I am gonna give my kids. well, probably they will be the one protecting me. I can believe it can be hotter than here somewhere, are you going come back to Virginia ever?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I was probably five or six, the next door neighbor saw a spider on her driveway. She picked up her two or three year old dd and stomped her up and down in the general area of said spider for like a solid minute, screaming hysterically the whole time.
    They moved out of that house more than 20 years ago, but people still bring it up in the neighborhood. "remember the time..."
  • Options
    AnyaZM said:
    Which part of Virginia? That's originally where I'm from but DH is in the Army and we are stationed in NC. The spiders are way worse here. When we first moved into our house we came home to 5 wolf spiders on our carpet. No thanks. Needless to say we sprayed the next day and adopted a cat.
    just looked up wolf spider. kind of wish I didn't. yeah, I am messing up my quotes alright too.
    Wait. There are wolf spiders in VA? Right. I'm moving. I've already had to deal with two snakes this summer. 

• Options
    loveymayloveymay member
    edited December 2015
    I think the elf on the shelf is cutebut I won't be doing it. Way too much work and I don't have the patience to move it around every night. Its also a huge fad/trend and I just don't jump on the trend bandwagons that often.

I'll be telling my kid about Santa. I grew up believing in Santa, and I also knew the true reason of Christmas. It didn't make me distrust my parents or not believe in God anymore. the world can be an awful place, so why not let childhood be filled with a little "magic?".

I truly don't care at all what other people spend their money on. If someone wants to buy all the baby gear, good for them! I'll buy what I need and what I want, and that's that! My money, my business. Speaking of, I put a wipe warmer on my registry today and also a travel sized wipe warmer, also a sound machine....why? Because I think it will make things mmore convenient for me!

My UO: i am not planning on breastfeeding....I'll wait while everyone recoils from their horrified shock.............. anyway, I have my reasons and I don't think it is anyone's business either! I've had several coworkers talk to me about breastfeeding (and I didn't bring it up!) But I just don't say anything, because I know how judgy people can be, and also because its not their business! I'm just tired of women bringing up this subject with me, I am not comfortable talking about my boobs with anyone other than my husband or my mom! my baby will be fed and nourished and I hope I can go through this period without anyone trying to shame me for formula feeding. Phew! I hope you ladies accept me and dont shame/judge me for this either! :)
  • Options
    loveymay said:
    I think the elf on the shelf is cutebut I won't be doing it. Way too much work and I don't have the patience to move it around every night. Its also a huge fad/trend and I just don't jump on the trend bandwagons that often. I'll be telling my kid about Santa. I grew up believing in Santa, and I also knew the true reason of Christmas. It didn't make me distrust my parents or not believe in God anymore. the world can be an awful place, so why not let childhood be filled with a little "magic?". I truly don't care at all what other people spend their money on. If someone wants to buy all the baby gear, good for them! I'll buy what I need and what I want, and that's that! My money, my business. Speaking of, I put a wipe warmer on my registry today and also a travel sized wipe warmer, also a sound machine....why? Because I think it will make things mmore convenient for me! My UO: i am not planning on breastfeeding....I'll wait while everyone recoils from their horrified shock.............. anyway, I have my reasons and I don't think it is anyone's business either! I've had several coworkers talk to me about breastfeeding (and I didn't bring it up!) But I just don't say anything, because I know how judgy people can be, and also because its not their business! I'm just tired of women bringing up this subject with me, I am not comfortable talking about my boobs with anyone other than my husband or my mom! my baby will be fed and nourished and I hope I can go through this period without anyone trying to shame me for formula feeding. Phew! I hope you ladies accept me and dont shame/judge me for this either! :)
    Dude, I don't judge you for that. I think breast feeding sounds awful and don't even want to do it. I'm planning to try it even though the thought is horrifying to me but I am not making any promises about how long it will last. I don't think breastfeeding is really that important anyway. Kids turn out healthy without it! But I do see many people are very serious about it.
  • Options
    loveymayloveymay member
    edited December 2015

MrsCayEye said:

@AmadorRose they sell travel wipe warmers, I was gifted one for my shower with DS. It was returned so I can't comment on how well it worked.

And to think there are children who go hungry...

I'm sorry but this just rubs me the wrong way. I think I understand what you mean by this, and if that's the case, then the same thing can be said about anything a child has that a starving child does not. ie. A crib? And to think there are children who go hungry. A changing table? A stuffed animal? A frivolous toy? Do you see where I'm going with this? Do you have a cell phone/TV/car/anything besides the most basic need? And to think there are children who go hungry.

There will always be suffering people in this world, that doesn't mean we have to go without. It means those of us who are more fortunate should be more giving to those less fortunate. I'm not going to buy my child everything he wants, but I will buy him some things he wants. I will also teach him about giving back to others and do my very best to expose him to the world, to all walks of life, so that he will not only be generous and giving, whether it be money or time or volunteer work or his life's work.....but also so he will appreciate what he has. Thus is actually a very touchy subject with me, because I see how greedy kids and teens are these days, and my husband and I havetalked about this so much. We want to show our son the world and teach him compassion for other people, and to want to help and do what he can to make life better for others. But that doesn't mean he can't have a TV or cell phone or whatever cool gadget he wants, so long as he appreciates how fortunate he is to be able to enjoy those types of things. I hope my babbling makes sense?

Eta: not sure why my comment shows up as a quote?
  • Options
    DougalMcG said:

AnyaZM said:

AnyaZM said:

just looked up wolf spider. kind of wish I didn't.
    yeah, I am messing up my quotes alright too.

Wait. There are wolf spiders in VA? Right. I'm moving. I've already had to deal with two snakes this summer. 

Yes!!! I hate them so much!
  • Options
    @AnyaZM We visit every now and then but after DH retires in 20 years we haven't decided if we want to move back to our home town or settle down somewhere else. 20 years is a long time so we will see!
  • Options
    @loveymay I don't give a shit what people spend their money on, but I do think we should a feel a sense of obligation to help those who cannot help themselves, even when it means giving up the frivolous crap we may want. I don't make enough money to donate heaps to any specific cause, but I buy an extra meal when I go through a drive-through and see a homeless person and I donate my time even when I'd rather be chilling on my couch watching Netflix. It's when things like wipe warmers are considered a necessity that I'm annoyed.
  • Options

@loveymay I don't give a shit what people spend their money on, but I do think we should a feel a sense of obligation to help those who cannot help themselves, even when it means giving up the frivolous crap we may want. I don't make enough money to donate heaps to any specific cause, but I buy an extra meal when I go through a drive-through and see a homeless person and I donate my time even when I'd rather be chilling on my couch watching Netflix. It's when things like wipe warmers are considered a necessity that I'm annoyed.

I must have missed it in this thread where someone said a wipe warmer is a necessity. I think its great you donate your time and do other things to help people in need! I am able to both donate and also get a frivolous item like a wipe warmer. I don't think that means I should be ashamed because there are starving children in the world, when I do what I can to also help those in need.
  • Options

never saw them here but apparantly they are very comfy in NC, thats what we talked about. snakes aren't fun eather. why did I move here?????lol and when is it gonna snow? I love snow and winter dispite that most people don't
  • Options

We visit every now and then but after DH retires in 20 years we haven't decided if we want to move back to our home town or settle down somewhere else. 20 years is a long time so we will see!

if it is hotter there than here, I am really sorry. hope we develop superpowers that will make us repulsive for all insects in the radius of 10 miles.
    dreams((
  • Options
    So wolf spiders...omg. I can't even. I was born and raised in PA and went to summer camps there, all the way up through being a counselor. Two different camps, one of them we stayed in really nice cabins, so there wasn't much issue with wolf spiders until we went to the lean-tos or teepees for camp outs. We always took our sleeping bags during the day before actually sleeping out that night and I would spray down the entire location with bug spray...probably a whole can...because I was so paranoid about spiders. The other camp I went to we slept in A-frame tents. One year when I was there I woke up...to a HUGE wolf spider hanging out over my face, about two feet above me in the corner. I seriously about died. I was too afraid to move it, and no one else would do it for me. So he stayed there...the WHOLE week. I switched so I slept at the other end, but that thing was SHARING MY SPACE and I seriously wanted to cry. I actually might have. I honestly don't know if I slept at all that week.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @loveymay, I'm with you on breastfeeding. I also don't mention it anywhere (online or IRL) because people can be really passionate/judgemental about it. I had awful breastfeeding issues with my 2 sons, and so have planned to skip 3 months of tears and heartache and just FF from the beginning this time around.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    AnyaZM said:

We visit every now and then but after DH retires in 20 years we haven't decided if we want to move back to our home town or settle down somewhere else. 20 years is a long time so we will see!

if it is hotter there than here, I am really sorry. hope we develop superpowers that will make us repulsive for all insects in the radius of 10 miles.
    dreams((
    AnyaZM said:

dreams((
    Monday it was 72 degrees here. It sucks..I rather be cold than hot. The heat here is so bad and it's like dry hot hot hotttttt heat!
  • Options
    edited December 2015

So wolf spiders...omg. I can't even. I was born and raised in PA and went to summer camps there, all the way up through being a counselor. Two different camps, one of them we stayed in really nice cabins, so there wasn't much issue with wolf spiders until we went to the lean-tos or teepees for camp outs. We always took our sleeping bags during the day before actually sleeping out that night and I would spray down the entire location with bug spray...probably a whole can...because I was so paranoid about spiders. The other camp I went to we slept in A-frame tents. One year when I was there I woke up...to a HUGE wolf spider hanging out over my face, about two feet above me in the corner. I seriously about died. I was too afraid to move it, and no one else would do it for me. So he stayed there...the WHOLE week. I switched so I slept at the other end, but that thing was SHARING MY SPACE and I seriously wanted to cry. I actually might have. I honestly don't know if I slept at all that week.

Wow. I would've A) shit my self B.) slept outside C) had a heart attack or D) all of the above.
  • Options
    RoseShadow873RoseShadow873 member
    edited December 2015
    cmjenkies said:
    @loveymay I FF'd DS and feel no guilt about it. It worked for us at that time in our lives, he was well nourished, and that's that. I will be BFing this time around hopefully, but that's just my choice. Do whatever you have to do - there are pros and cons to every choice we make. Best of luck to you! @RoseShadow873 statements like that (I don't think breastfeeding is really that important anyway) just make me wonder if you have had any education on the real benefits of BFing in the first place - to a mother who is able, willing, AND comfortable with BFing, there are some definite benefits (nutritionally, bonding, financially, etc.) that should not be discounted. That being said, like I said before, in my opinion, as long as the baby is being appropriately fed, it's none of my business. I have no qualms about formula feeding at all and feel that it is the mother's choice, period. However, arming ourselves with knowledge about a variety of important subjects can only make our families better off in the long run.
    I know there are benefits but I have read studies that kids who were not breastfed were not shown to have negative outcomes. I also personally know people who were not breastfed and they are very healthy. I was only breastfed for one month at most and I could hardly be healthier! And I have a very close relationship with my mother so we must have bonded fine.
  • Options
    @amadorrose I absolutely think that using a wipe warmer makes life more difficult when you don't have the luxury of being at home, or if anyone else changes your child without a warmer present. It honestly seems a little frivolous for me, and made it way more difficult to change the little ones that clenched their butts or would freak out at the room temperature wipes. I personally won't use one with our child, but don't judge those that do.
  • Options
    I don't know if this is actually an unpopular opinion all around, but almost everyone in my circle thinks DH and I are weird for planning well in advance on when we want to start TTC. Everyone knew we were going to start trying after our 1 year wedding anniversary before DH and I got married... We had originally planned on TTC for baby #2 when DS1 turned 2, but DS2 had other plans and is due this April. After my last appointment, DH and I agreed to TTC for baby #3 once DS2 is 3 years old. I think it's cool to make plans like that and count down the years until you make that big move. Yes, you should change your plans if things come up, but it's ok to actually MAKE plans for major life choices.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    AnyaZM said:
    @AnyaZM Edit: messed up my quote
    we live in Richmond. where are you from? I came here from Toronto, so not used to insects like that. especially when I saw praying mantis flying towards my husband in laundry room. life will never be the same.

@anyazm I know that I'm definitely not normal for this, but I suppose it goes along with the Unpopular Opinion thread. I actually work with Mantids, and they are completely harmless. They are extremely beneficial because they actually eat some of the insects that would actually be harmful towards humans. I'm not saying that you are wrong for feeling fear, most people do but I just thought that it might help calm your fear if you see one again. I also breed snakes, so I know that I'm not in the norm on that opinion either. What I can say is I have been bitten by a dog, way more times than any of my scaley babies. And the dog honestly hurt more, and definitely had the intent to hurt me. I don't think that reptiles have feelings the same way that dogs or cats do. They either feel threatened or safe and react accordingly. I still love all animals though, probably more than I like most people. However, spiders can fuck right off...they scare the living crap out of me and while I do try to relocate them outside if one is large or in my bathroom it is game over for them. 
  • Options
    @mumistheword said: However, spiders can fuck right off...they scare the living crap out of me and while I do try to relocate them outside if one is large or in my bathroom it is game over for them. 

This. This is me and also made me chuckle out loud.
    Ds1 is terrified of them also, and dd3 (two years younger) used to pick them up and chase him around. Neither he nor I found it funny. Luckily she grew out of her non-fear, hahaha.
  • Options
    mojomama6 said:
    @mumistheword said: However, spiders can fuck right off...they scare the living crap out of me and while I do try to relocate them outside if one is large or in my bathroom it is game over for them. 
    This. This is me and also made me chuckle out loud. Ds1 is terrified of them also, and dd3 (two years younger) used to pick them up and chase him around. Neither he nor I found it funny. Luckily she grew out of her non-fear, hahaha.

I guess my day late unpopular opinion: I'm always glad when I see spiders in the house. The bigger the better, and I neither knock down their webs nor relocate them. If I take them outside, they can't kill my house centipedes (which are way bigger and way, way scarier)!
  • Options
    fbanke42 said:
    I don't know if this is actually an unpopular opinion all around, but almost everyone in my circle thinks DH and I are weird for planning well in advance on when we want to start TTC. Everyone knew we were going to start trying after our 1 year wedding anniversary before DH and I got married... We had originally planned on TTC for baby #2 when DS1 turned 2, but DS2 had other plans and is due this April. After my last appointment, DH and I agreed to TTC for baby #3 once DS2 is 3 years old. I think it's cool to make plans like that and count down the years until you make that big move. Yes, you should change your plans if things come up, but it's ok to actually MAKE plans for major life choices.
    Is planning it unusual? I totally planned this pregnancy like that over a year in advance. I planned to try in June/July to have it in March/April. I am obsessed with planning what I am going to do next in life.
  • Options

fbanke42 said:

Is planning it unusual? I totally planned this pregnancy like that over a year in advance. I planned to try in June/July to have it in March/April. I am obsessed with planning what I am going to do next in life.

Most of the people I know have unplanned pregnancies or decide on the fly. If they planned in advance, it was only a few months in advance, not two years. Maybe they just think DH and I are weird because we seem to plan our next one when halfway through a current pregnancy? I don't know. I always get asked, "wait, you guys already have a time frame on your NEXT ONE?"

Anniversary

• Options
    fbanke42 said:

fbanke42 said:

Most of the people I know have unplanned pregnancies or decide on the fly. If they planned in advance, it was only a few months in advance, not two years. Maybe they just think DH and I are weird because we seem to plan our next one when halfway through a current pregnancy? I don't know. I always get asked, "wait, you guys already have a time frame on your NEXT ONE?"

This pregnancy was a bit of a surprise, but we are already planning our next in two years...and I will ensure that there won't be an "oops" between now and then ;)

And there's nothing wrong with planning things out so long as you can change your plans up as life changes, and you seem to have that covered.
  • Options
    @AGK2015 Yeah, if I had house centipedes that I was aware of in our home I'd definitely be happier to see the spiders. We have them in our warehouse, and they are horrific. My husband thought it was hilarious to capture one of them and put them in a deli cup on my desk. I to say the least did not find it so hilarious...

@mojomama6 When I was a kid, my mother tried to be "at peace" with the spiders in our old house. Some of them were so large, you'd have thought they were baby tarantulas. There was one in our half bath, that she went as far as to name him Harold and told us that we were not allowed to kill him because he was taking care any of the other annoying bugs. Needless to say, I couldn't use that bathroom anymore. One day I hear my mother in the bathroom, and the loudest frantic screaming. Harold had gone underneath the toilet seat, and made an appearance as my mother was sitting there peeing. Obviously, she no longer took the peaceful approach and tried to flush him because he was too quick to squash where he was. What she didn't know was he could swim, and with the low water pressure we had he wouldn't go down as expected. It is still probably one of the funniest moments of my mom that I can remember, but I do feel bad that things ended for Harold the way they did. 
  • Options
    fbanke42 said:
    I don't think this is unpopular at all. While, sure, there may be things here and there you can't control, it makes sense to go in with some kind of plan.
  • Options
    Uggh I just received my first UO regarding how "big" I am from a complete stranger. It was 5:00am and I was waiting for my belongings to come through the scanner in the security line at the airport and the lady behind me noticed my belly (it was the first time I had worn a maternity shirt at 22 weeks!) and at first asked if there was a sweet little baby in there. I said yes and then she said "you are huge!" She then asked when baby was due and I said beginning of April to which she then told me "you are so big already you are going to blow up!". I wish I wasn't in the security line or I would have told her how rude that was! Being pregnant has already made me so sensitive about my body and putting on weight! I am so thankful DH was standing behind me and heard the whole thing so he could quickly tell me how beautiful I am. I've always heard my friends tell me you will have people make comments about your body when preggers but I didn't believe it until it happened!
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

fbanke42 said:

I don't think this is unpopular at all. While, sure, there may be things here and there you can't control, it makes sense to go in with some kind of plan.

I love making plans. I just keep getting the "plan in the moment, because you might actually not be ready when you plan to be." We make plans and then change them if we feel like we want to try earlier/later, but everyone just seems to see the plan and assume we have it set in stone, so they think we're nuts. We started TTC for our first earlier than planned because of an unplanned pregnancy and miscarriage. DH and I know another couple who is talking about kids in 4/5 years and everyone thinks they are also weird to plan something like that so far away.

Maybe I'm the one surrounded by weird people, and my planning is 100% normal XD

Anniversary

• Options
    fbanke42 said:

sarahufl said:

fbanke42 said:

I love making plans. I just keep getting the "plan in the moment, because you might actually not be ready when you plan to be." We make plans and then change them if we feel like we want to try earlier/later, but everyone just seems to see the plan and assume we have it set in stone, so they think we're nuts. We started TTC for our first earlier than planned because of an unplanned pregnancy and miscarriage. DH and I know another couple who is talking about kids in 4/5 years and everyone thinks they are also weird to plan something like that so far away.

I think it's totally normal, but our peer group is mostly people who married young, many during college (us included) so planning how long to avoid is pretty important. :)
    We don't so much plan to TTC, but planned when we would avoid. We planned to avoid until I was done with undergrad and we had a house (after a month of reno, we ended up moving into the house the weekend I graduated) and to discuss kids then. DD was born 13 months later. Then we planned to have the kids be 2-3 years apart but not actively TTC until after DD turned 2. When we stopped BC, I thought we were past ovulation for July - turns out I got pregnant that week. So they'll be 22 months. Oops.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    mrstrax said:

fbanke42 said:

sarahufl said:

fbanke42 said:

I think it's totally normal, but our peer group is mostly people who married young, many during college (us included) so planning how long to avoid is pretty important. :)
    We don't so much plan to TTC, but planned when we would avoid. We planned to avoid until I was done with undergrad and we had a house (after a month of reno, we ended up moving into the house the weekend I graduated) and to discuss kids then. DD was born 13 months later. Then we planned to have the kids be 2-3 years apart but not actively TTC until after DD turned 2. When we stopped BC, I thought we were past ovulation for July - turns out I got pregnant that week. So they'll be 22 months. Oops.

We also thought that I was past ovulation when we concieved DS2! I apparently I ovulated 8 days later than normal. We'd planned on starting TTC when DS turned 2. I got off BC because it was making my depression go insane.

Anniversary

• Options
    cmjenkies said:
    @loveymay I FF'd DS and feel no guilt about it. It worked for us at that time in our lives, he was well nourished, and that's that. I will be BFing this time around hopefully, but that's just my choice. Do whatever you have to do - there are pros and cons to every choice we make. Best of luck to you! @RoseShadow873 statements like that (I don't think breastfeeding is really that important anyway) just make me wonder if you have had any education on the real benefits of BFing in the first place - to a mother who is able, willing, AND comfortable with BFing, there are some definite benefits (nutritionally, bonding, financially, etc.) that should not be discounted. That being said, like I said before, in my opinion, as long as the baby is being appropriately fed, it's none of my business. I have no qualms about formula feeding at all and feel that it is the mother's choice, period. However, arming ourselves with knowledge about a variety of important subjects can only make our families better off in the long run.
    Yesss, all of this!!! i know it's100% none of my business whether someone breastfeeds or formula feeds as long as a child is well-fed and taken care of, but... I just don't get people who refuse to even give breastfeeding a chance without some outstanding medical reason. It's scientifically proven to be better for your baby, and it's FREE. I don't know the OP's reasons for not breastfeeding, so I really can't comment... but I had a friend who said she wouldn't breastfeed because her breasts were "her husband's playthings" and not "milk makers." Ummm actually, biologically, they're intended to feed your babies. So I couldn't help but be judgey on that. That's not a good reason to rule it out.

I'm all for... give it a good, honest try (like a few months... set a goal and stick to it)... and then you can reevaluate. If you end up having/wanting to formula feed, good for you! You'll know that you tried, and that you also gave your baby that essential colostrum and all the benefits from the time you did do it! I thought I would hate breastfeeding and only planned to go to six months, and I ended up LOVING it and nursing until 18 months. I just think you never know until you try, and the benefits are undeniable. 

My sister-in-law just had a baby, and was already talking about how breastfeeding was *so* hard and she wanted to quit the day they came home from the hospital. Yes... having a newborn is hard. In a lot of ways. I wouldn't give up on something after three days.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016