May 2016 Moms
Options

Any vegetarians/vegans craving meat???

I would do just about anything for a steak right now. Anyone else craving meat? Have you indulged? Did you get sick? I'm just worried about getting sick.

Re: Any vegetarians/vegans craving meat???

• Options
    It happened to @saladflambe if memory serves....
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I was craving tuna early on (when baby was developing their brain) I increased my flax and it went away. Sometimes I crave it cuz of course our bodies want the easiest route to proteins possible but I know I'd feel sick if I ate any of that stuff and I don't want my baby getting any of the nasty crap in meat, dairy, and eggs!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup. No red meat cravings, but I'm eating chicken (and leftover thanksgiving turkey) like it's going out of style.

No illness. I was vegan for 13 years, total veg for 4, eating fish for 3, and now, I guess, poultry...
  • Options
    mumbolinomumbolino member
    edited December 2015
    I am glad that did not happen to me (yet), and if I did, I could not give in. No judgment if anyone does, everyone has to do what feels right for them, as every pregnancy is as unique as the pregnant woman :-)

I would make things like lentil / quinoa / chickpea burgers or sth like that and a bucket of home made potato wedges to "pretend"  I guess :-) 

• Options
    I'm sort of the opposite: not vegan, but not interested in meat since I've been pregnant. I think it definitely has to do with what your body needs. Turns out I've been having pretty high iron, so my body doesn't need extra meat I guess.
  • Options
    I haven't yet, but I have a deal with my husband that if I do he is going to give up meat while/if I eat it. Like Phoebe and Joey from Friends!
  • Options
    Vegetarian, and a few weeks ago I was so hungry and nothing would satisfy me for days at a time. My 10 yr old son mentioned he had never had a Big Mac before, and all of a sudden I had to have one... I took him there for lunch. He ate 1.5 bites of his Big Mac before declaring it the grossest thing ever, while I inhaled mine, lol. And I was finally satisfied. I did not get sick, and no thank you, I do not want another one!
  • Options
    Vegetarian and no meat cravings. I've had a couple of times where I thought something smelled good, but once I realized what it was, I was over it.
  • Options
    I'm pescetarian so I still eat fish, but honestly if anything I've had an aversion to all meat - even some fish at times. DH actually asked me if I had craved any other meat the other day and I kinda gave him a disgusted look. He said "guess not then..." Lol.
  • Options
    Hmmm....idk what to do. Just trying to figure out if eating it is worth getting sick. Especially because I'm in the red meat cateogory of cravings.
  • Options
    I made it easily through my first without craving meat, but my red meat cravings with my second were intense. I eventually gave in and started eating it again after many years without. I was also anemic, which might have made the cravings worse.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I highly doubt you'll get sick, especially if your body is craving it.  Our guts are shockingly adaptable, we humans.  Even after I'd been vegan for 8 years, I accidentally ate some beef (person who gave it to me thought it was mushroom meat!) and nothing untoward happened. And I'd eat red meat in a heartbeat if I craved it: you've got to listen to baby on some things. 

Just don't eat too much!  Then you might get sick:) 
  • Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but the only meat I really eat is Chicken. I've been wanting Ground Beef lately. Tacos... pasta dishes with a heavy meat sauce.
  • Options
    @sosweet487 Bahhhh! Tacos sound amazing! I'll let you guys know! I'm thinking of giving in soon.
  • Options
    My doctor told me most true cravings are because your body is lacking something. Not your random sweet tooth or super salty indulgence! Ha! So if you're craving meat, my assumption would be because your body (and baby) need it. I'm not a vegan by any means... I love meat! However... My husband and I only eat organic meat, wild caught fish, organic dairy, and organic eggs when it comes to "meaty/animal product things" because of the hormones, antibiotics, additives, etc in everything else that isn't organic or wild caught. so if I were you... And you were going to give in to the meat craving... Make it organic! :smiley:
  • Options
    I gave in, but I started with bacon. Baby steps so I don't get sick. And yes, @babykasper I think I will be sticking to organic.
  • Options
    I'm not a vegetarian - but I hate red meat, never eat it. 
    ... until yesterday. Not sick or anything (weird since last time I accidentally ate red meat, I spent the night throwing up) and it's still with me, the craving. I figure this baby will definitely be taking after its father :P
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dshannah said:
    I think it's a little weird that there are so many "I'm not vegitarian but..." Comments on here. Meat increases insulin levels, is packed full of cholesterol and hormones, and all animal products are either restricted in pregnancy or not recommended by the American heart association. I've stayed faithfully vegan my whole pregnancy. If my body is craving something, I figure out why and satiate the need with fruits, veggies, grains, nuts, or legumes. Furthermore my midwife was delighted I was vegan cuz it meant I was focused on getting healthy foods. If you're veg or vegan remember you're doing it for a REASON. Don't give up your values now.
    Good for you! You get a vegan cookie. Seriously, we are all veg for a reason, but having not experienced the cravings that other women are describing, it's kind of shit to come here and make them feel bad about it. I'm vegan/veg for anti-corporate and environmental reasons. Hence the broadening of my diet when I moved out to the country (lots of local farmers and pet chickens and cows). And the fish (again, locally farmed) was a concession to DH, because I'm not going to argue if he's doing the cooking. But I recognize that if I wanted to be a better environmentalist I would not be having children, since humans are the single biggest threat to our planet. But here I am. Because you have to balance that shit or off yourself. Perfect commitment to any cause is impossible, and it's extremists who shame people for their slightest missteps who make all activists look bad and demotivate people from joining us. I have a dozen formerly vegan friends who gave up because they got criticized for doing it poorly: so now, rather than being vegans who eat honey once in a while or ghee when they travel to India, they are full-fledged meat eaters who hate vegans and think we are all Food-Nazis. /rant over
    I don't think (correct me, if I'm wrong here) @JoMunson was talking about a bit of honey or sth like that. I believe she was more talking about why you'd start eating meat again if you've given it up for a reason (be it ethical, environmental, or for health reasons). 
    :-) 

• Options
    dshannahdshannah member
    edited December 2015
    mumbolino said:

I don't think (correct me, if I'm wrong here) @JoMunson was talking about a bit of honey or sth like that. I believe she was more talking about why you'd start eating meat again if you've given it up for a reason (be it ethical, environmental, or for health reasons). 

:-) 

And my point wasn't to replicate JoMunson's argument but to point out that her intolerance of pregnant women listening to their bodies and having an occasional meat cheat is the sort of self-righteous extremism that gives all vegans/vegetarians a bad name.
  • Options
    But you're not vegan/ vegetarian, if you eat meat, are you :-) 

Anyhow, live and let live, right? :-)

• Options
    I'm vegetarian for a while now and didn't have any meat cravings so far. I make sure I eat enough good, nutritious food that has a good source of protein like tofu, eggs or nuts, that my body and baby seem to be happy with it :)
    But I also wouldn't judge if a vegetarian told me that she had meat once or so during pregnancy. We try to do the right thing on 365 days a year, so we already do make a difference. One day of cheating shouldn't be such a big deal if it's organic free range meat.
  • Options
    mumbolino said:

Actually, yes. Eating meat once in a blue moon does not strip you of your veg cred. That'd be like saying skipping church once in a while makes you non-Christian.

And eating meat when you've got a pregnancy craving is like skipping church when your mom's just been admitted to the hospital. Even extremists should recognize it as a pass.

I no longer consider myself vegan (though when I move away from the country I'll probably get back on that train if I can't find local, animal-friendly eggs and dairy), but I consider myself to be a vegetarian who eats fish when my husband cooks it and poultry when the baby wants it.

I've been a good vegan/vegetarian footsoldier since 1996 (including 13 years of strict veganism), so I have more of an issue with the folks who come on here having never experienced a pregnancy craving for meat and criticize others for giving into their cravings than I do with the non-vegetarians JoMunson takes issue with who come here to talk about their cravings and how those things they never eat affect their bodies.

OP wanted to know what would happen if she gave in to her cravings, and people have the audacity to come on here and say that she'd lose her moral compass (even when they admit they haven't had those same cravings), or to brag that they haven't had those cravings. It's the worst kind of shortsighted and unsympathetic arrogance.

/rant

• Options
    dshannah said:

mumbolino said:

Actually, yes. Eating meat once in a blue moon does not strip you of your veg cred. That'd be like saying skipping church once in a while makes you non-Christian.

And eating meat when you've got a pregnancy craving is like skipping church when your mom's just been admitted to the hospital. Even extremists should recognize it as a pass.

I no longer consider myself vegan (though when I move away from the country I'll probably get back on that train if I can't find local, animal-friendly eggs and dairy), but I consider myself to be a vegetarian who eats fish when my husband cooks it and poultry when the baby wants it.

I've been a good vegan/vegetarian footsoldier since 1996 (including 13 years of strict veganism), so I have more of an issue with the folks who come on here having never experienced a pregnancy craving for meat and criticize others for giving into their cravings than I do with the non-vegetarians JoMunson takes issue with who come here to talk about their cravings and how those things they never eat affect their bodies.

OP wanted to know what would happen if she gave in to her cravings, and people have the audacity to come on here and say that she'd lose her moral compass (even when they admit they haven't had those same cravings), or to brag that they haven't had those cravings. It's the worst kind of shortsighted and unsympathetic arrogance.

/rant

Well you can rant all day if you like:-) won't change my mind.
    How do you know your baby wants poultry ? Lol!
    And I still say you're not a vegetarian if you eat meat. vegetarian means you don't eat meat by definition. Poultry is no vegetable btw.
    And going to church has nothing to do with this whatsoever. ;-)

• Options
    JessicaB0627JessicaB0627 member
    edited December 2015
    mumbolino said:

dshannah said:

mumbolino said:

/rant

Well you can rant all day if you like:-) won't change my mind.
    How do you know your baby wants poultry ? Lol!
    And I still say you're not a vegetarian if you eat meat. vegetarian means you don't eat meat by definition. Poultry is no vegetable btw.
    And going to church has nothing to do with this whatsoever. ;-)

-----qbf-----

It's a good thing it's your opinion and doesn't make a difference. If @dshannah thinks it's okay to give into a meat craving every once in awhile then that's her prerogative.

I don't have an opinion either way but the judging is a little uncalled for. Just because you feel like you're on some moral high ground because you haven't had any meat doesn't take away from @dshannah's journey. I also don't recall her asking for your opinion.

And the excessive smiley faces are annoying.

• Options
    AHHH this reminds me of Friends, when Pheobe was pregnant with the triplet and was craving meat. Remember, Joey gave it up so she could have it. I can turn anything into a Friends reference

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I really wasn't trying to shame anyone, sorry if it came out like that. I was trying to pump up my veg and vegan mamas who are feeling the pressure to give in. I've gotten a lot of sideways glances and "is your midwife sure you're getting enough protein?" and "well you'll probably start drinking milk now" from people. I think it's probably easier for me because I'm vegan for ethical/environmental/health reasons. When I was craving tuna and I thought "well if I get it from a good source it's fine" I reminded myself of the other reasons I don't eat fish. Of course this doesn't make me better than anyone, or a gold star vegan. Just different.
    There's LOADS of different types of veg and vegans out there- ethical, environmental, health, Paris vegans, vegan till 4, vegan till 6. The list is endless because your choice of what to eat and when to eat it is endless.
    The end of the story is, you can do whatever you want. You can eat meat or not or something in between and no one will hate you (least of all me- I don't even know you!). I just wanted to remind people that they had reasons for making their choices and to stick with those convictions!
  • Options
    I don't have the hard evidence on this, but I've talked to doctors about it who say that there is absolutely no reason why going years without meat means you will get sick once you go back to eating it. It's not like spicy food or alcohol, you don't need to build up a tolerance to it!

You'll hear a lot of anecdotal stuff about people who had meat for the first time in years and got sick, but it's anecdotal, doesn't really mean anything. My favorite is a friend who said she didn't have red meat in five years and then ate a hot dog from a concession stand and got violently ill, and uses that as evidence for her meat tolerance being down. Because regular meat-eaters never get sick from cheap hot dogs.

Anyway, I am impressed by vegetarians who find ways to replace protein in healthy ways. I am not one of them because preparing food for myself is such a struggle that I can't be restricting myself like that! (The struggle is from laziness and incompetence, but it's still real).
  • Options
    mumbolinomumbolino member
    edited December 2015
    Actually, yes. Eating meat once in a blue moon does not strip you of your veg cred. That'd be like saying skipping church once in a while makes you non-Christian. And eating meat when you've got a pregnancy craving is like skipping church when your mom's just been admitted to the hospital. Even extremists should recognize it as a pass. I no longer consider myself vegan (though when I move away from the country I'll probably get back on that train if I can't find local, animal-friendly eggs and dairy), but I consider myself to be a vegetarian who eats fish when my husband cooks it and poultry when the baby wants it. I've been a good vegan/vegetarian footsoldier since 1996 (including 13 years of strict veganism), so I have more of an issue with the folks who come on here having never experienced a pregnancy craving for meat and criticize others for giving into their cravings than I do with the non-vegetarians JoMunson takes issue with who come here to talk about their cravings and how those things they never eat affect their bodies. OP wanted to know what would happen if she gave in to her cravings, and people have the audacity to come on here and say that she'd lose her moral compass (even when they admit they haven't had those same cravings), or to brag that they haven't had those cravings. It's the worst kind of shortsighted and unsympathetic arrogance. /rant Well you can rant all day if you like:-) won't change my mind. How do you know your baby wants poultry ? Lol! And I still say you're not a vegetarian if you eat meat. vegetarian means you don't eat meat by definition. Poultry is no vegetable btw. And going to church has nothing to do with this whatsoever. ;-) -----qbf----- It's a good thing it's your opinion and doesn't make a difference. If @dshannah thinks it's okay to give into a meat craving every once in awhile then that's her prerogative. I don't have an opinion either way but the judging is a little uncalled for. Just because you feel like you're on some moral high ground because you haven't had any meat doesn't take away from @dshannah's journey. I also don't recall her asking for your opinion. And the excessive smiley faces are annoying.

Well, if everyone had to wait for someone specifically asking for someone's opinion, this would be a very boring and empty forum 
    :-(    (Annoying sad face??? ) 

and... I'm not on moral high ground. I'm just saying that being a veggie implies not eating meat. I don't care what people eat / not eat.  

• Options
    asunnaasunna member
    edited December 2015
    I'm vegan (5 years)

Seems like most are vegan vegetarian are not for animal rights reasons
    And that's totally fine if you have chosen to eat meat all the more power to you

But you are NO longer a vegan
    Don't say you are when you are not
    You most certainly have lost your "veg cred" and anyone who says otherwise is probably the same person who says things like
    "Just pick the chicken off the salad don't be a baby about it "
    They simply don't understand and have no understanding of it and why you loose your credibility and why picking off the chicken isn't acceptable

You are than someone who eats a mostly plant based diet

And yes the semantics of it matter

Choosing whether or not you want to eat meat now ,is a personal choice I have no opinion on that not can I tell you what to choose

But I find it unlikely that anyone who has chosen to eat meat or give into cravings was ever someone who truly ate 100% vegan diet and was passionate about animal rights

I couldn't even tell you what meat tastes like anymore or the texture
    I can't remember therefore i don't have cravings because my body can't physically remember what it was
    It's like craving something you never ate

I could understand if said veg person was a newly transitioned one

That's my opinion I'm sure I'll get flamed I don't care

• Options
    OMG eat what you want and stop defining it! Its just food, and it all goes in and comes out the same way (ignoring the ehtics cause ethics can explain anything).

All this ranting and raving about whether or not you are a true vegan/vegetarian if you cave and have meat is pathetic and unhelpful.
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    avidkeo said:
    OMG eat what you want and stop defining it! Its just food, and it all goes in and comes out the same way (ignoring the ehtics cause ethics can explain anything). All this ranting and raving about whether or not you are a true vegan/vegetarian if you cave and have meat is pathetic and unhelpful.
    Agreed! It's just becoming evident that some people live a vegan/veg lifestyle with the goal of following the diet for moral/health/environmental/etc. reasons, and have mostly committed to doing their best in that regard, but not going to have an internal crisis if they falter. Others are committed to the lifestyle with a 100% all-or-nothing mentality, where staying true to the effort day-in and day-out is super important. These issues can come down to semantics, and since not everyone here is agreeing on one solid definition of vegan/vegetarian - given the two different attitudes, there's not going to be a consensus.

Luckily, I enjoy reading the back/forth, so carry on!
  • Options
    asunna said:

I'm vegan (5 years)

But I find it unlikely that anyone who has chosen to eat meat or give into cravings was ever someone who truly ate 100% vegan diet and was passionate about animal rights

Come talk to me in another eight years.

Then I'll take you seriously.

• Options
    dshannah said:

asunna said:

I'm vegan (5 years)

Come talk to me in another eight years.

Then I'll take you seriously.

Wow. That's just awesome.

• Options
    Pascal86 said:

avidkeo said:

OMG eat what you want and stop defining it! Its just food, and it all goes in and comes out the same way (ignoring the ehtics cause ethics can explain anything).

All this ranting and raving about whether or not you are a true vegan/vegetarian if you cave and have meat is pathetic and unhelpful.

Agreed! It's just becoming evident that some people live a vegan/veg lifestyle with the goal of following the diet for moral/health/environmental/etc. reasons, and have mostly committed to doing their best in that regard, but not going to have an internal crisis if they falter. Others are committed to the lifestyle with a 100% all-or-nothing mentality, where staying true to the effort day-in and day-out is super important. These issues can come down to semantics, and since not everyone here is agreeing on one solid definition of vegan/vegetarian - given the two different attitudes, there's not going to be a consensus.

Luckily, I enjoy reading the back/forth, so carry on!

That better be vegan popcorn....

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    businessmamabusinessmama member
    edited December 2015
    I do think this escalated a little quickly. I honestly believe everyone here started with the best intentions, either giving advice on how to not get sick or reminding someone that they began for a reason and to remember that when things get it hard. It's like having a friend who holds you accountable when you are on a diet and says do you realllyyyyyy want that donut? Not judgemental but just trying to above that moment to examine it in a way to make sure you don't regret it. Both sides came from a good place.

Did it stay that way? Idk... Just wanted to remind everyone we are here to be supportive.

And I almost put a smiley, but refrained.

Edited: spelling
  • Options
    ***dirty lurking from July, searching for vegan threads***

I think with regards to animal rights and ethics this thread could use a little Colleen. Because, you know, she's a goddess.
    Do what you can. Losing or maintaining your "veganity" is about status, not compassion. Let compassion lead you and have some for yourself and others ;)