Infertility
Options

Ovary Position for Retrieval

Hi everyone,
I am starting my first IVF cycle and at my ultrasound this morning they could not see my left ovary with the internal probe because it was so high. Doctor says if it doesn't come down there is a chance that he may not be able to access it during retrieval to get follicles. Has this happened to anyone? Any strategies to get it to move? The ultrasound tech said to eat more fiber. I'm so nervous it won't be ok.

Re: Ovary Position for Retrieval

• Options
    I know that if you're backed up a bit (intestinally), they can have trouble seeing everything.  Are you constipated? 

(Yeah, TMI question, but that's probably why they suggested fiber.)

So...  try to make sure you move everything that needs to move before your next ultrasound.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    I don't feel like I am, but maybe that is it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I actually asked my RE NP about this because they always have a hard time finding my left ovary when not stimulated.  It sits at the top of my uterus.  She downplayed it and said very rarely they can't get to it, but sometimes the stimulation makes it move into a better position - maybe because they get heavier and move down.  

Interesting about the constipation though because I am.  I have my baseline tomorrow.  It'll be interesting what they say.  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Options
    Jaqcap17 said:
    I don't feel like I am, but maybe that is it.

Ivf stimms made me extremely constipated- you may be backed up and not even know it
  • Options
    I haven't introed yet, only been lurking, but wanted to comment because this happened to me for my first IVF this past July. I tried Mayan abdominal massage twice before it, but it didn't come down. Needless to say they couldn't get any of the eggs off that side. In hindsight I should have asked about doing insemination since they couldn't get the eggs. As it turned out, they only got two eggs on the other side and neither fertilized.  

We're trying again this month. One of the doctors I got a second opinion from suggested a bowel prep if the ovary is high again this month. It does seem to move around, so I'm hopefully it'll be able to be reached. If it is still high right before, I'll do the bowel prep to see if they can then push it down. 

Good luck to you.    

Me 38 DH 40
    TTC since Dec 2010.
    Diagnosed anovulatory, HSG clear. Slight MFI- borderline count, but excellent motility and morphology 
    Nov. 12- Feb.13 Gonal F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    Lap April 13. Found blocked tube and bridged fimbria. Opened tube and cut fimbria. All clear 
    June 13  Gonal F+ Pregnyl +IUI = BFN Stopped treatment with RE due to side effects from drugs and told we needed IVF.
    Oct. 13 started Accupuncture and Chinese herbs- being monitored by RE. Getting better response- e2 and follie size. 
    Now RE says TI till March, then IUI. Fingers crossed, 

All welcome