December 2015 Moms

membrane sweep

If there's a post on this already please point me in the right direction, I couldn't find one.

Since my first baby was big my Dr and I talked about possibly inducing a week early and today we had an ultra sound to check the size. Now I know they're not always accurate but right now baby is measuring about 7.5 lbs and is predicted to be around 8.5 lbs if I go the full 40 weeks. She asked me if I'd be interested in a membrane sweep next week, I'll be 39 weeks, to get things moving but knowing she's not huge I'll probably wait and go on my own. Has anyone had a membrane sweep before? Does it work well? I hear it's uncomfortable.
I was thinking I'd agree to it at 40 weeks just in case the size prediction is off but am not sure yet.

Re: membrane sweep

• I've read they aren't actually that effective. I refused when offered. I know a few people who had them and only had pain/cramping. Is 8lbs 5oz really that big? My last was 8lbs and 22 inch and I didn't have a problem.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doc says it works 30% of the time and likely only for women who are close to labor anyway. That being said, it's worked for everyone i know thats done it.
  • Loading the player...
  • My first daughter was 8lbs 5oz. I did not have it done with her but they did Induce. I'm considering it too but was going to ask how he's doing size wise first. Some say it's uncomfortable, others say it hurts. By that point though being uncomfortable and aching is pretty much a given.
  • My friend had one for her second. She said it was a bit uncomfortable but she ended up in labor within 24 hours.
  • With DD my midwife completed a membrane sweep at 39 + 1 and I went into labor about 8 hours later. I had a long labor and ended up needing pitocin because I stalled at 2 cm's so I wonder how "ready" my body was but it worked for me.
  • And yes it was uncomfortable but tolerable.
  • @sarahjulypsu oh 8.5 isn't that big at all in my opinion! My first was 9 lbs 11 oz and 22 inches, his estimated weight was 8 lbs 11 oz so that's why I'm a little worried. He had a big head and almost broke his collar bone coming out.

If I do get it done it probably won't be until 40 weeks this way hopefully my body will respond to it better, it just sounds awful though lol
  • My sister had a membrane sweep (after 6 rounds of Cytotec, they were trying to induce her at 38w due to high bp). Her water immediately broke (gushed out like a fountain) and she had incredibly painful contractions beginning right then. She had wanted a natural birth, but the contractions were so bad so fast, she ended up getting an epidural within an hour after the membrane sweep. The epidural slowed down the contractions & then she was given pitocin to speed things along. Her labor was long (49 hours from start of Cytotec/contractions to birth) and not ideal for her to say the least, but she and baby are both doing great 9m later. I'm a FTM so I have nothing else to base my opinion off of, I've only heard her story. I'll be declining membrane sweeps unless they are the only option before medical induction & completely necessary.
  • In my experience they are not at all uncomfortable. Had quite a few last pregnancy in a last ditch effort to avoid an induction. With doctors approval, my DH did them every night for a week before the induction and she did one at 37wks and 38wks. Obviously never popped me into labor (and he got pretty aggressive with it by the end at my request - I hate pitocin). Always had one or two good contractions afterwards.

Generally speaking, if it's going to work it will start labor within 24 hrs. Your body has to be ready/receptive to the chemicals released into your bloodstream when the membranes around the sac and cervix are separated for it to start active labor.
  • I woke up having random contractions with DD and also had my dr appointment that day. I told my OB & he did a membrane sweep while I was there & my contractions were strong & regular after that. I labored 24 hours with her in all but I definitely know the membrane sweep sped things up for me. It is uncomfortable. Not looking forward to it if I go that route this time. Totally worth it if it speeds things along though I think.
  • My doctor will offer it at 38 & then again at my 39 week app. My 38-39 week app is Monday I plan on holding off until 39-40 week but I'll def do it then. I've been cramping everyday since Saturday so I'm trying to give my body the chance to do it on its own. Plus I want babe as healthy and fat as I can get her! I know of a couple people who's membrane sweep didn't work for them. I've had recommendations to walk walk walk and sex it up afterwards to help too!
  • My doctor won't do them until 39 weeks and says your cervix has to be "favorable" perhaps if it's not that's when it's uncomfortable? It's one of those things that if you're baby isn't ready it won't work. I had it done with my first when I was 80% effaced and about to go into labor. I was 39 + 6 when I had it done and 2 days later I had my daughter but I was about to go anyways he had said. It caused a tiny bit of bleeding but wasn't super uncomfortable. Kind of like when they check you... I asked my OB to do a membrane sweep the Thursday before he wants to induce Tuesday to try and go naturally and he agreed. I'll be 39 weeks again.
  • With my first pregnancy, I had a membrane sweep at my 39 week appointment. I went back to work and I started having contractions right away! DD came about 12 hours later.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • Can someone explain to me what a membrane sweep consists of? I never had to get one with my daughter.
  • No experience but a friend of mine had two, described it as quite unpleasant , and neither of them worked :/
  • IIRR, the dr basically does the same thing as a cervix exam(that's what it feels like) only he tries to rub your placenta away from the wall of your uterus in a small spot.
  • edited November 2015
    My dr did one without even asking me or saying she was going to! She was just checking my cervix then all of the sudden she was doing one....I asked her after if that's what she did (i guess she felt she didn't need to tell me?!) for me, it was pretty uncomfortable. Maybe because I wasn't ready for it, but it is tolerable. I did lose my mucus plug after, but never went into labor until a week and a half later. I guess it didn't work for me!
    https://www.babycentre.co.uk/what-is-a-membrane-sweep
  • Can someone explain to me what a membrane sweep consists of? I never had to get one with my daughter.

From WebMD: Stripping the membranes. In this procedure, your doctor or midwife will use a gloved finger to gently separate the amniotic sac from the wall of the uterus. This releases hormones that can trigger contractions. You can get it done in your doctor's or midwife's office.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• For my first, I had my doctor do the membrane sweep and I went into labor 2 days later. She told me that it could be within 72 hours. I had my son 2 days before his due date.
    I plan to do the membrane sweep on my due date if my little girl isn't here yet!
    It doesn't really hurt and I didn't have blood afterward.
    Good luck!
  • Well my appt was Wed and I decided not to do it yet. My next appt is Tues and I'm hoping I go by myself by then otherwise I'll get the membrane sweep.
  • I am going to have this done on Wednesday. I was excited to think it might put me in labor and a lot of you said it's just uncomfortable. But my friend who is as far along as I am just did it the other day and said it was so painful.. Now I'm terrified!! I'm expecting excruciating pain.. Obviously I'm afraid of giving birth itself .. Is it really that bad? :(
  • LaceyH13LaceyH13 member
    edited December 2015
    I had it done Friday afternoon and I didn't find it painful at all, just uncomfortable. But I don't find cervical checks to be painful either. It lasts about 30 seconds start to finish, so if you want it done my advice is to brace yourself and bear with it because it is such a short time.

Since Friday I have lost more of my mucous plug and experienced my bloody show, along with some mild cramping. No contractions from it, but I do feel like it nudged my body forward a bit.

Others gave me the advice to walk afterward, which I did. I think that has been helping progress too.

ETA: I was about 3 cm dilated and my cervix was "soft and favorable" when it was done according to my dr. She did it at exactly 39 weeks.
  • I'm having it done tuesday. I'm all for it
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Had it done at 39 weeks. OB said she got a really good sweep whatever that means. Soft cervix, was dilated to 3. I Went into labor 8 hours later.
  • If nothing happens this week having it done Friday. I'm so ready to be done with pregnancy and see baby boy
  • I had one done with DS. I got a lot of cramping and some blood but labor never started. I had to be induced at 41 weeks. He was 9 lbs 22 in. For someone like me he was considered big and had a horrible vaginal delivery now resulting with me having to do c sections for all other pregnancies. Do what you feel is right.
  • I had the membrane sweep at 40 weeks and had my baby girl 48 hours later! Although she was smaller than my first it went just as horribly and any future pregnancies will have to be induced a week early.
  • I haven't had one yet but it seems like people really vary in their experiences. I was actually really surprised that I found the strep test painful since I find pap smears mildly uncomfortable but really only because it's cold and the stirrups are awkward.
  • My doctor hasn't even mentioned this, but I am only 37 weeks today so maybe thats why.  From what I have heard these sweeps are hit or miss.  They work for some and not others.  If I am offered one, I'm not sure what I will do.  Seems like there is no harm in having it done so I will probably go for it.  
  • @RSB1982 you may never need one! They usually don't offer them unless you are in need of being induced for a medical reason or are post term :)
  • @laurabwalker Good to know! Guess I'll just see what happens!
  • My doctor didn't mention it until my 38 week appointment and wouldn't do it until 39, and that was only if I asked for it - it isn't standard.
  • I had one done at my 38 week appointment because my blood pressure had been slowly rising and I was already having contractions about every 8-10 minutes. I ended up in labor that night!
  • We haven't had any real complications (other than mild GD) - my doc wouldn't even offer to do it until 39 weeks.
  • i go in for my 38 week appointment this week and i think i'm going to ask the doctor to do it. Theres no harm.....EEEK
  • Had mine today, not painful at all. Lost mucus plug since but no contractions or pains yet. I'm 40+2 and from Uk FTM :)
  • I have an appointment tomorrow morning and plan on having a sweep done. A little worried that it'll hurt like hell.. I think checks are painful so a sweep and labor, I can only imagine!
  • anyone have any experience not being dilated at all and having a membrane sweep work? So far I'm all closed up, but have an appointment Thursday (will be 39+4) and want to ask for one, but if I'm still not dilated is it even worth it? 
  • I'm having mine done on Thursday I'll be 37+3. I'm filled thinned out and have been 2cm dilated for a bit now with contractions for a very long time. I also lost my mucus plug the other night and had timetable contractions that then went away, and weren't strong enough to make me progress. My doctor seems hopeful and thinks baby is ready
  • anyone have any experience not being dilated at all and having a membrane sweep work? So far I'm all closed up, but have an appointment Thursday (will be 39+4) and want to ask for one, but if I'm still not dilated is it even worth it? 

From what I understand, they won't do a sweep if you aren't dialated at all.