November 2015 Moms

Pumping exclusively?

Is anyone else pumping exclusively because of nursing issues? How's it going for y'all ?

Re: Pumping exclusively?

• I'm exclusively pumping. My son is two weeks old and I started with a great supply. I was getting between 3 and 4 ounces from each breast every pumping session, but the past couple days it's been more like 2-3 ounces, so I've been getting stressed with that. I'm still producing enough to keep baby fed, but it worries me that I may be running into some supply issues. All in all, though, it is going well for me and baby. He is a million times happier now that I'm exclusively pumping than his first couple days of being unable to really latch and ending up frustrated and hungry.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do. My whole life has been overtaken by this pump. I started out with a terrible supply but now I have an oversupply really bad! He eats 2 1/2 oz and I'm pumping about 8 every 3 hours. Trying to put him back on the breast though. It's not working....
  • I'm not yet as baby is not here yet but I will be exclusively pumping once she is.

• I did with my first after having awful latch issues and we made it to a year! Fortunately breastfeeding seems to be working out better this time. I just want to say kudos to those that EP because it requires a lot of commitment, but it's so worth it.
  • I'm planning on EPing/ probably nighttime formula supplementing in the beginning (so DH can help, as I'm useless without a semi-reasonable amount of sleep). I'm happy to see other moms who EP on this board!
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm also currently EP'ing as my LO has latch issues...apparently my nipples aren't long enough for his liking! So far my supply has been good, I've been getting about 2oz per breast and I'm pumping about every 2 to 3 hrs during the day and at least once or twice at night...LO is 13 days old and so far I seem to be making enough for him, I'm hoping that I can keep this up! We still try to latch but he just fights it and screams bloody murder which makes me feel horrible so for my sanity/emotional health EP'ing has been a lifesaver...

I'm glad this thread was started as it is nice to know that I'm not alone in this as most of my friends with kids had no real issues with BF'ing so they don't really get what I'm going through!
  • I am planning to exclusively breast feed since we know our baby has a cleft palate. Glad to see its going well for most of you. The thing that makes me nervous is pumping at night and feeding the baby, hoping I get at least a little sleep!
  • I'm pumping. I pumped while I was at the hospital to get as much colostrum as so I could to take home.
    3-4 days after my LO was born I was producing a lot of milk! But now my LO is 9 days old and my supply reduced quite a bit! I'm hoping to build my supply back up because I'm planning on exclusively pumping to feed my baby. I can't seem to get him to latch and this is so much easier to do.
  • jdal1206 said:

I'm also currently EP'ing as my LO has latch issues...apparently my nipples aren't long enough for his liking! So far my supply has been good, I've been getting about 2oz per breast and I'm pumping about every 2 to 3 hrs during the day and at least once or twice at night...LO is 13 days old and so far I seem to be making enough for him, I'm hoping that I can keep this up! We still try to latch but he just fights it and screams bloody murder which makes me feel horrible so for my sanity/emotional health EP'ing has been a lifesaver...

I'm glad this thread was started as it is nice to know that I'm not alone in this as most of my friends with kids had no real issues with BF'ing so they don't really get what I'm going through!

This is exactly what my little one does. Screams as soon as I try to latch. I've decided to keep trying to get him to latch till the end of November otherwise I'll just ep till whenever. But I pump about the same time and amount you do and while it is a time commitment it does help my emotional sanity as well. But I've been able to start freezing the extra I pump which gives me peace of mind too
  • I am not yet but likely will be soon. Our LO is 15 days old and we've been having issues with milk transfer. I also have a low supply so I have been working very hard to get it up. I am now pumping about 2 ounces 8 times a day. I am breastfeeding him for 20 minutes and then I feed him 45ml expressed milk. As much as I would love to EBF him, I don't think it's going to happen. He is still down from his birth weight and now he is showing signs of a milk protein allergy so no dairy for me. Silly me thought breastfeeding would be a breeze! As long as he continues to get breastmilk with minimal supplementing with formula once he needs more to eat, I'm not going to sweat it.
  • I exclusively pumped at first as my son was born early and was tiring too quickly trying to latch on. I now breast feed him but still express so my partner can do some bottle feeds too. My advice is to *try* not to fret too much about pumping and milk supply as it can end up feeling like a chore. At the hospital they told me to express 8 times in 24hrs, if this works for you, great, but I found it was a little too much and stimulated my over supply even more leading to mastitis. My advice is plenty of skin to skin to stimulate and make sure you express at least once in the night between the hours of 1am and 5am. My healthcare visitor explained it as like leaving a note out for the postman to deliver more milk in the morning(!) it definitely helped keep my supply up. Exclusively pumping is time consuming but putting the time in (it helps to have the TV on or occupying yourself whilst doing so) and a decent pump (I use hospital approved Ameda electronic double pump) it is definitely attainable to exclusively pump. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself.
  • 9 days PP and due to latch issues and LO losing too much weight in the first few days, my pediatrician has me pumping and supplementing with formula. My supply is super low, even with me pumping every 2-3 hours, even through the night. I only get about 1-2oz each time. So frustrating :( I really don't want to have to supplement with formula, but I just keep telling myself as long as LO eats and has been gaining weight back, that's what's most important. Meanwhile...anyone have any luck with increasing supply? Ive been trying to read everything on this but not much has seemed to work.
  • I am planning to exclusively breast feed since we know our baby has a cleft palate. Glad to see its going well for most of you. The thing that makes me nervous is pumping at night and feeding the baby, hoping I get at least a little sleep!

The best thing to solve this problem is pumping hands free, double electric, if possible and feeding the LO a prepumped bottle while your pumping. Also feeding baby while your pumping helps yor milk let down faster. Total 20-30 minutes and back to sleeping for the both of you. :)
  • Thank you @AMG901 for the tips & encouragement :)
  • With DS, I pumped exclusively since he was in the NICU for a month. I tried breast feeding, but he would get too tired. I pumped for 9 months.
    Started out pumping every two hours for at least 15 minutes I was able to get a lot, but I'd have to mash up my breasts to make sure they were completely empty. Sometimes when I'd be pumping and feeding him at the same time, I wouldn't massage my breasts and I ended up with clogged ducts.
    Around the 6th month mark I couldn't make enough and that's when we started introducing formula with the breast milk.

Like PP have said, it takes a good bit of time to get a good supply going. Don't anyone beat yourself up if it doesn't work out either. My sister tried for months, but couldn't make much at all, so my sweet nephew (who'll be 7 next month) ended up on formula. Everything will work out!
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I've been considering EP.  My milk came in when she was 2 days old, and I have some serious over supply happening.  I still have rock boobs after a feed.  Can't pump after a feed for relief, that'll up my supply.  And despite a great latch, i got bruised and cracked and bled in the hospital, using a shield till they heal.  But my DH wants me to keep BFing at least half the time. id rather EP bc getting the shield and all that is too much of a hassle IMO.  also, IDK if its hormones or stress, but I puke when I BF sometimes.
  • I've been considering EP.  My milk came in when she was 2 days old, and I have some serious over supply happening.  I still have rock boobs after a feed.  Can't pump after a feed for relief, that'll up my supply.  And despite a great latch, i got bruised and cracked and bled in the hospital, using a shield till they heal.  But my DH wants me to keep BFing at least half the time. id rather EP bc getting the shield and all that is too much of a hassle IMO.  also, IDK if its hormones or stress, but I puke when I BF sometimes.

It's your choice to pump or feed by the breast, they're your breast and either way the baby is getting all the good stuff. Lol. DH doesn't understand how hard and painful breast feeding can be. The LC told me my LO had a great latch and it was one attempt and she had it but still I cracked and started bleeding within 2 days of breast feeding. And it HURTS after that. I began pumping to let them heal but now that they're all healed I'm scared to go back. I will latch her once in awhile but not often. My DH also wanted me to breast feed as much as possible but I sat him down and explained to him that it's really not as easy as he thinks and I was freaking bleeding. I told him our LO had already gained weight at her 5 day checkup and the doctor said she looks perfect so what does it matter what spout my milk is coming from. Haha. Anyways, I will say EP is a job and a half! Way harder than just feeding her from my breast. I've got to set everything up, then wash everything each time afterwards, heat bottles, etc. lots involved! But, no matter what you choose, good luck! Just know your baby is getting great nutrition from you!
  • You ladies rock! Congrats on still wanting your baby's to get the best even if they won't nurse. I nursed and pumped while supplementing with formula with my DD, it sucked! You ladies are my hero!
  • My LO is 3 weeks and I've been exclusively pumping since about 5 days old because of latch problems. We have been trying the breast everyday and since she had her lip tie snipped and has gotten bigger she is finally latching but still not for full feedings. We are so close though! Don't give up on the breast they say almost all babies latch fine and feed by 6 weeks old no matter the problem. Right now that feels forever away cut gives me hope!
  • I've confused so many people by telling them I'm EPing. I never wanted to BF, but I know milk is great for the baby if it's what works best for your family. I promised myself I would try it, and if I hated EPing, I would go to formula. I supplemented my colostrum with formula until my milk came in (yesterday), and so far it's going well. I'm pumping every 3-4hr, basically right after I bottle feed Rhys every time, and at least once in the middle of the night. My supply is up to about 2.5oz per boob, per session.

Can we just talk about how boobs turn into a freak show when your milk comes in? I was an F cup before pregnancy, FF after I got pregnant, and now.. I'm just obscene. DH loves it, haha.

• I pumped for about 3-4 weeks and was not getting a whole lot. My son was five weeks early and was in the hospital for 12 days. It's so hard with a NICU baby that you can't breast feed because they're on a ventilator and then the pumping wore me out. I wanted to be with my baby not in a room locked up pumping every few hours. And when I was home which was at night I wanted to sleep. I tried it but never got enough milk so now we're onto formula. Honestly I don't miss the pumping! I hate that he's not getting breast milk but it just didn't work out for us.

It's your choice to pump or feed by the breast, they're your breast and either way the baby is getting all the good stuff. Lol. DH doesn't understand how hard and painful breast feeding can be. The LC told me my LO had a great latch and it was one attempt and she had it but still I cracked and started bleeding within 2 days of breast feeding. And it HURTS after that. I began pumping to let them heal but now that they're all healed I'm scared to go back. I will latch her once in awhile but not often. My DH also wanted me to breast feed as much as possible but I sat him down and explained to him that it's really not as easy as he thinks and I was freaking bleeding. I told him our LO had already gained weight at her 5 day checkup and the doctor said she looks perfect so what does it matter what spout my milk is coming from. Haha. Anyways, I will say EP is a job and a half! Way harder than just feeding her from my breast. I've got to set everything up, then wash everything each time afterwards, heat bottles, etc. lots involved! But, no matter what you choose, good luck! Just know your baby is getting great nutrition from you!
    I feel ya! The first week, I had bloody nips and they hurt soooo bad. They've finally toughened up (look normal again), but man are they uncomfortable if it happens to be cold in the room.
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm basically EPing. I attempt BFing a few times a day with help from a shield, but LO unlatches frequently and gets so fussy on the breast, I am basically only trying it to make myself feel closer to her. I was pumping for 20-30min 8 times a day, but my lactation consultant advised to pump only a max of 20 min. I'm so worried that this will decrease my supply if I don't totally empty my breasts. Right now I express 2.5-3oz every 3-4 hours. I'm not even sure if this is considered a good supply or not! I have enough to give LO what she wants to eat... But I was hoping to get a small stock going for my return to work. I'm currently taking More Milk Plus Special Blend 3 times a day to help increase supply. I'm also trying to be good about eating regularly and drinking lots of water. Ultimately I would love to BF, but I will be happy with EPing if that is the best we can do together. :) kudos to all you moms pumping... It's no small task!
  • If you pump when the baby eats from the bottle it will help your supply maybe. Because it lets your body know that that is when the baby eats. If you go on a schedule then it can affect your supply negatively
  • I'm Eping. I tried to BF in the hospital and although the nurse said she was latching well I ended up with cracked nipple and a lovely bruise on my right breast.

So when i got home from the hospital the same day I started pumping (I never planned to BF anyways I always said EP).

However there is a small part of me that feels guilted that I'm not BFing as even my doctor says she is latching great and has a big mouth .

I feel like no matter what you choice Formula or BF or Eping , theres always someone judging ya .

• I'm basically EPing. I attempt BFing a few times a day with help from a shield, but LO unlatches frequently and gets so fussy on the breast, I am basically only trying it to make myself feel closer to her. I was pumping for 20-30min 8 times a day, but my lactation consultant advised to pump only a max of 20 min. I'm so worried that this will decrease my supply if I don't totally empty my breasts. Right now I express 2.5-3oz every 3-4 hours. I'm not even sure if this is considered a good supply or not! I have enough to give LO what she wants to eat... But I was hoping to get a small stock going for my return to work. I'm currently taking More Milk Plus Special Blend 3 times a day to help increase supply. I'm also trying to be good about eating regularly and drinking lots of water. Ultimately I would love to BF, but I will be happy with EPing if that is the best we can do together. :) kudos to all you moms pumping... It's no small task!

I was EP and would try to get my LO to latch every now and then. She had a hard time latching, would pull of often, and would scream and be mad while I was trying to BF. I basically stopped BFing for a few weeks and once my LO seemed to have more awake time between feedings I decided to try and get her to latch again. She did awesome. I feel like now at 6 weeks she has a little more patients....lol She prefers to BF now and our nights are so much easier. She also seems more satisfied and less gassy.
    Keep trying and maybe your LO will latch and BF for you. :)
  • joforyogajoforyoga member
    edited November 2015
    I was pumping a lot at first in order to increase my milk supply since my baby had a difficult time latching and was also on formula for the first week in the hospital since he was in the NICU due to some mouth and jaw concerns. Thankfully all is well and we have had him home for a full week now and I am mainly breast-feeding. Most mothers that I talk to who have had any latch or breast-feeding concernssay that it can take up to six weeks to really train them how to latch properly and to get into a good routine so for now I am feeding him roughly every hour and a half, more like cluster feeds so he gets a little bit at a time. Serious lack of sleep is involved in this obviously but I'm hoping that once we get the six week mark we won't need to worry about the cost of formulaand I won't need to be taking the time to pump at all anymore. Currently I am pumping 3 to 5 times a day just to make sure that I can talk him up if he needs it and that I'm able to maintain my milk supply.
  • mom4liak said:

I'm basically EPing. I attempt BFing a few times a day with help from a shield, but LO unlatches frequently and gets so fussy on the breast, I am basically only trying it to make myself feel closer to her. I was pumping for 20-30min 8 times a day, but my lactation consultant advised to pump only a max of 20 min. I'm so worried that this will decrease my supply if I don't totally empty my breasts. Right now I express 2.5-3oz every 3-4 hours. I'm not even sure if this is considered a good supply or not! I have enough to give LO what she wants to eat... But I was hoping to get a small stock going for my return to work. I'm currently taking More Milk Plus Special Blend 3 times a day to help increase supply. I'm also trying to be good about eating regularly and drinking lots of water. Ultimately I would love to BF, but I will be happy with EPing if that is the best we can do together. :) kudos to all you moms pumping... It's no small task!

I was EP and would try to get my LO to latch every now and then. She had a hard time latching, would pull of often, and would scream and be mad while I was trying to BF. I basically stopped BFing for a few weeks and once my LO seemed to have more awake time between feedings I decided to try and get her to latch again. She did awesome. I feel like now at 6 weeks she has a little more patients....lol She prefers to BF now and our nights are so much easier. She also seems more satisfied and less gassy.
    Keep trying and maybe your LO will latch and BF for you. :)
    This makes me feel like I don't want to give up! Thank you so much for posting this...my LO won't latch and just screams at me so we have been EP'ing since he was like 4 days old (3.5 weeks now) and I try to get him to latch but he's just not having it...I'm going to keep trying and maybe he will have a better time at it when he'sa bit older like your LO...again thank you for sharing...this whole thread has been such an emotional saving grace for me! Keep up the good work ladies!
  • Thank God I found this thread! My LO came out of the womb with a suction like a Hoover vacuum and by the time we were sent home my nipples were blistered, sore, cracked, and bruised. I would shudder every time she latched due to the pain. I asked every nurse that came into the room if she was latched correctly and they all said yes and that the pain was just a result of her crazy suction and me having sensitive nipples. Well I tried pumping when we arrived home just because needed to give my nipples a break and honestly was about to give up and start her on formula and the pump is a lifesaver. It doesn't hurt and she takes to bottle without complaint. Now I'm EPing and doing tons of skin to skin to try and up my supply. I tried to latch her yesterday since my nipples have healed just to see if we could pick up breastfeeding but nope, I still feel like she is biting my nipples off. Are you guys pumping on a schedule or just pumping when LO feeds?
  • ASalton1 said:

Thank God I found this thread! My LO came out of the womb with a suction like a Hoover vacuum and by the time we were sent home my nipples were blistered, sore, cracked, and bruised. I would shudder every time she latched due to the pain. I asked every nurse that came into the room if she was latched correctly and they all said yes and that the pain was just a result of her crazy suction and me having sensitive nipples. Well I tried pumping when we arrived home just because needed to give my nipples a break and honestly was about to give up and start her on formula and the pump is a lifesaver. It doesn't hurt and she takes to bottle without complaint. Now I'm EPing and doing tons of skin to skin to try and up my supply. I tried to latch her yesterday since my nipples have healed just to see if we could pick up breastfeeding but nope, I still feel like she is biting my nipples off. Are you guys pumping on a schedule or just pumping when LO feeds?

I am not on a strict schedule but I do try to pump every 2 to 3 hrs during the day and then once at night between 1 and 5am (apparently pumping during this time tells your body to make sure a produce during the day, at least that's what I gather from what I've read here and online research)...I'm getting between 2 and 3oz per boob each time I pump, my left boob is my super boob and generally produces more. There are timea when I go longer between pumping because I'm home alone with LO and he just won't let me but for the most part I get about 6 pumps in per day. It's hard work but has been a lifesaver for us (LO just won't latch yet)...I think as long as you're pumping and getting enough to feed your LO throughout the day then you are good, I'm not an expert and I'm a FTM but this has proven true for us!
  • ASalton1 said:

Thank God I found this thread! My LO came out of the womb with a suction like a Hoover vacuum and by the time we were sent home my nipples were blistered, sore, cracked, and bruised. I would shudder every time she latched due to the pain. I asked every nurse that came into the room if she was latched correctly and they all said yes and that the pain was just a result of her crazy suction and me having sensitive nipples. Well I tried pumping when we arrived home just because needed to give my nipples a break and honestly was about to give up and start her on formula and the pump is a lifesaver. It doesn't hurt and she takes to bottle without complaint. Now I'm EPing and doing tons of skin to skin to try and up my supply. I tried to latch her yesterday since my nipples have healed just to see if we could pick up breastfeeding but nope, I still feel like she is biting my nipples off. Are you guys pumping on a schedule or just pumping when LO feeds?

I had a similar problem with LO's latch and started pumping exclusively on Black Friday. I had a hard time not being on a schedule, especially since I was already over tired. I started a schedule (midnight, 4am, 7am, 10am, noon, 3pm, 6pm, & 9pm) and it has helped me so much. I know what to expect and the times that I am able to sleep because DH is able to take care of her while I rest. Even if I miss a pump they are spaced out to where it's not hard to get back on track and I don't freak out about not having enough milk for her. I've already been able to start a freezer supply for when I go back to work.
  • I try to pump in between every 2-3 hours and then once during the night but I have no set schedule because things happen . Sometimes I pump earlier and sometimes later

• mcdoug211mcdoug211 member
    edited December 2015
    This is probably a dumb question but I want practical tips and not everything I've found is..but how do you pump when you know your gonna be out of the house for an extended period(not work)? And how do you store it if baby isn't eating right then, do you bring a cooler everywhere? I'm just over a week pp and have pretty much been at home since then..
  • mcdoug211 said:

This is probably a dumb question but I want practical tips and not everything I've found is..but how do you pump when you know your gonna be out of the house for an extended period(not work)? And how do you store it if baby isn't eating right then, do you bring a cooler everywhere? I'm just over a week pp and have pretty much been at home since then..

Depends for how long I'm gone.. I feed her before I leave and then take a bottle with me(in her insulated diaper bag pocket)

If I'm going to be gone more than 2-3 hours than I take the cooler

• How long do your pumping sessions last ?? I was doing 15-20 minutes but I realized that only the first 5 minutes is when my milk is actively coming. Nothing really comes after 10 minutes so I'm now trying to do 10-15

• I am EP bc my LO has a pretty bad tongue tie. We are getting it fixed next week and hopefully we have a better time latching. Pumping all the time is exhausting. My DH just wants to formula feed. He thinks I'd be way easier and less stressful. I agree. But I can't bring myself to do it yet until I've tried everything. If fixing her tongue tie doesn't help, I'll think about formula. Idk how you ladies do this all the time. Major props to you!
  • mcdoug211 said:

Breastmilk is supposed to be good for up to 4-6hr without refrigeration. I haven't been gone on trips longer than 3 hr yet, so for the moment I don't use a cooler. I would bring one for longer periods of time, though.

If I'm going to be somewhere I can pump (em, a friend's house), I'll bring the pump with me. The medela models can also transform into hand pumps, but I haven't tried that yet. It would work in a pinch though, I'm assuming. Or maybe one of the cheap battery operated ones.

• mrsgabus said:

How long do your pumping sessions last ?? I was doing 15-20 minutes but I realized that only the first 5 minutes is when my milk is actively coming. Nothing really comes after 10 minutes so I'm now trying to do 10-15

I did 15-20 min until my supply increased, now I do ten to fifteen min, as I generally am emptied out by then.