November 2015 Moms
Options

The Official Labor Watch Thread(L&D questions, concerns, and announcements)

Re: The Official Labor Watch Thread(L&D questions, concerns, and announcements)

• Options
    40 weeks today! 4cm dilated and had a membrane sweep. Doctor seemed to think baby would come today, but I've had no symptoms in 4 hours (since she did the sweep). Grrrrrrr!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Being induced tonight and currently having a raging panic attack. Trying to stop hyperventilating before I pass out. Blah.
    Take a deep breath, momma! You're going to do great :)
  • Options
    39w2d and nada yet as far as dilation, mucus plug exiting or water breaking. Little disappointing but like other pointed out I'd rather it happen quickly or all at once rather than be dilated however much for weeks on end.

Minor bh contractions here and there lots of lower movement from my little man, lots of discharge for the past week, nauseous in the am for the past week as well and softer stool here and there after being constipated for the past several months!

Only thing that's extremely uncomfortable is the skin on my upper stomach. Started as a numbing sensation in my right rib and has now become an all out burning, my skin may be on fire feeling all across my upper stomach on the right side. No idea why, I assume something to do with my nerves but it KILLSSSSS no sleep for me with this pain and dr brushed it off. Hope babe comes soon so I can reclaim my body! Good luck to all the mommas who are ready to go now! You'll do and be great :)
  • Options
    39w2d and nada yet as far as dilation, mucus plug exiting or water breaking. Little disappointing but like other pointed out I'd rather it happen quickly or all at once rather than be dilated however much for weeks on end. Minor bh contractions here and there lots of lower movement from my little man, lots of discharge for the past week, nauseous in the am for the past week as well and softer stool here and there after being constipated for the past several months! Only thing that's extremely uncomfortable is the skin on my upper stomach. Started as a numbing sensation in my right rib and has now become an all out burning, my skin may be on fire feeling all across my upper stomach on the right side. No idea why, I assume something to do with my nerves but it KILLSSSSS no sleep for me with this pain and dr brushed it off. Hope babe comes soon so I can reclaim my body! Good luck to all the mommas who are ready to go now! You'll do and be great :)
    I had the same thing with my upper stomach a couple weeks ago and it turns out it was because my abs were separating. It felt like they were on fire for like 5 days. You can check to see if yours are separating by laying on your back and rolling up into a crunch. If you get a big alien-like point popping out of your upper abs, then you have found your culprit!
  • Options
    SMoore82104SMoore82104 member
    edited November 2015
    Bettytteb said:

I had the same thing with my upper stomach a couple weeks ago and it turns out it was because my abs were separating. It felt like they were on fire for like 5 days. You can check to see if yours are separating by laying on your back and rolling up into a crunch. If you get a big alien-like point popping out of your upper abs, then you have found your culprit!

Yes! Thank you. I've been lucky to stay pretty small throughout this pregnancy but baby must be stretching out those abs now to get some last minute extra room! I heard it goes away as soon as baby arrives, fingers crossed that's true!
  • Options

Being induced tonight and currently having a raging panic attack. Trying to stop hyperventilating before I pass out. Blah.
    Thank you for the heads up, I will promptly start stalking your facebook. Hahaha. SO EXCITED.
  • Options
    I'm so upset about my doctors appointment today. Again. I had written about my last appointment, about how my doctor was pushing induction only a few days after 40 weeks and the whole slew of reasons why I feel incredibly uncomfortable with that. 
    Well, he scheduled it for the 23, and the nurses and the fill-in doctor, (who I know another regular bumpie on here had pretty real issues with, and now I know first hand why..), let me know today that he had scheduled it...
    I immediately asked if there was some way I could get a hold of him to let him know that I felt strongly about letting baby hang out at least until 41 weeks and than we can talk or plan induction. 
    Well, not only did they not give me a way to get a hold of him, but all the nurses (albeit one very kind and helpful nurse) and the doctor that was there kept insisting that it would be best to just do it then. 
    Because you know, it was already planned (not with my consent), the doctor will be there, it will be right be
    fore the holidays so it will be easier, the doctor likes to spend time with his family on the holidays (this was thrown in at last minute). The fill-in doctor told me that they actually don't allow patients to go past 41 weeks. Which makes no sense from everything I've EVER heard or read. She said that letting women go up to 42 weeks is outdated by like 20 years. That it is dangerous....I think she was just trying to get me to give in.
    Let me say again, that I have been so blessed with a problem-free pregnancy. No issues AT ALL. I'm still only dilated 1 cm as of today, and they said nothing about effacement and I forgot to ask how I felt in that aspect.
    I stood my ground, but let me tell you, the doctor had an attitude problem with me. I was very respectful, but firm. The nurses acted like I should just do it, because it would be easier for everyone. 
    I feel so bummed about this situation. I will remain firm (unless a medical issue arises) about not inducing until 41 weeks. I said I would be open to a sweep, but the doctor today said they could not do it because I was only 1 cm. 
    Honestly, it makes me not trust my doctor, It makes me feel like he will be willing to do or say anything to get me to do what will work best with his schedule. I don't think there is a bad intent, and I know of course he wants the end result  of a healthy baby. That said, I think there is zero empathy about how I should be treated in the meantime.

Oh, and they said if I do get induced the 23, they will start straight with pitocin. If my appointment happened to be later in the day, they would start with cervidil (sp?) to help prep my cervix, then move to pitocin...So, simply because of a scheduling issue I will have to forgo the cervidil? The thing that could very potentially help make a pitocin-induction that much more successful? That doesn't seem fair..

Ugh. I'm just so frustrated and I feel like I was not at all taken seriously today. I feel disrespected and pushed aside and it makes me worry about my actual delivery to come.I feel like I was treated like I am asking too much. If something happens during delivery I want to trust my doctor to make the BEST decision with the LEAST medical intervention necessary. Not a decision based on his schedule.

(Quoted for little background story)

So this is my third time posting about this induction dilemma! I'll try and keep it shorter than my others!

Doctor's office called to confirm induction for 23. I told the nurse that yesterday I had spoken to another nurse and she said she would talk to doctor about moving induction to the 27th or so. I will be 41w1d on 27. The nurse on the phone had no idea about that, so put me on hold for 10 minutes to talk to doctor. 
    She told me they absolutely cannot schedule anything due to the holiday weekend.  The Monday right after thanksgiving (I would be 41w4d) is too late. They cannot let me go past 41 weeks under no circumstances, and apparently I am crazy for thinking that anyone does. I asked (again) if there was any medical necessity to being induced so soon after edd. They had no answer other than they do not allow women to go past 41 weeks.
    If I refuse induction, the doctor cannot see me any longer.

I said I would let them know by tomorrow.

Any advice???

I called a few doctors hoping to be able to talk to someone or get second opinions. No one could help because I'll be 40w on Thursday. Called a birthing center an hour and a half away out of desperation. The nurse there was SO HELPFUL. She listened to me as I half told her/half sobbed my stupid little dilemma. She gave me a few great recommendations...

However, do any of you have any ideas?? What might you do in this situation? 
  • Options
    I'm so upset about my doctors appointment today. Again. I had written about my last appointment, about how my doctor was pushing induction only a few days after 40 weeks and the whole slew of reasons why I feel incredibly uncomfortable with that. 
    Well, he scheduled it for the 23, and the nurses and the fill-in doctor, (who I know another regular bumpie on here had pretty real issues with, and now I know first hand why..), let me know today that he had scheduled it...
    I immediately asked if there was some way I could get a hold of him to let him know that I felt strongly about letting baby hang out at least until 41 weeks and than we can talk or plan induction. 
    Well, not only did they not give me a way to get a hold of him, but all the nurses (albeit one very kind and helpful nurse) and the doctor that was there kept insisting that it would be best to just do it then. 
    Because you know, it was already planned (not with my consent), the doctor will be there, it will be right be
    fore the holidays so it will be easier, the doctor likes to spend time with his family on the holidays (this was thrown in at last minute). The fill-in doctor told me that they actually don't allow patients to go past 41 weeks. Which makes no sense from everything I've EVER heard or read. She said that letting women go up to 42 weeks is outdated by like 20 years. That it is dangerous....I think she was just trying to get me to give in.
    Let me say again, that I have been so blessed with a problem-free pregnancy. No issues AT ALL. I'm still only dilated 1 cm as of today, and they said nothing about effacement and I forgot to ask how I felt in that aspect.
    I stood my ground, but let me tell you, the doctor had an attitude problem with me. I was very respectful, but firm. The nurses acted like I should just do it, because it would be easier for everyone. 
    I feel so bummed about this situation. I will remain firm (unless a medical issue arises) about not inducing until 41 weeks. I said I would be open to a sweep, but the doctor today said they could not do it because I was only 1 cm. 
    Honestly, it makes me not trust my doctor, It makes me feel like he will be willing to do or say anything to get me to do what will work best with his schedule. I don't think there is a bad intent, and I know of course he wants the end result  of a healthy baby. That said, I think there is zero empathy about how I should be treated in the meantime.

Oh, and they said if I do get induced the 23, they will start straight with pitocin. If my appointment happened to be later in the day, they would start with cervidil (sp?) to help prep my cervix, then move to pitocin...So, simply because of a scheduling issue I will have to forgo the cervidil? The thing that could very potentially help make a pitocin-induction that much more successful? That doesn't seem fair..

Ugh. I'm just so frustrated and I feel like I was not at all taken seriously today. I feel disrespected and pushed aside and it makes me worry about my actual delivery to come.I feel like I was treated like I am asking too much. If something happens during delivery I want to trust my doctor to make the BEST decision with the LEAST medical intervention necessary. Not a decision based on his schedule.

So this is my third time posting about this induction dilemma! I'll try and keep it shorter than my others!

Doctor's office called to confirm induction for 23. I told the nurse that yesterday I had spoken to another nurse and she said she would talk to doctor about moving induction to the 27th or so. I will be 41w1d on 27. The nurse on the phone had no idea about that, so put me on hold for 10 minutes to talk to doctor. 
    She told me they absolutely cannot schedule anything due to the holiday weekend.  The Monday right after thanksgiving (I would be 41w4d) is too late. They cannot let me go past 41 weeks under no circumstances, and apparently I am crazy for thinking that anyone does. I asked (again) if there was any medical necessity to being induced so soon after edd. They had no answer other than they do not allow women to go past 41 weeks.

Any advice???

I called a few doctors hoping to be able to talk to someone or get second opinions. No one could help because I'll be 40w on Thursday. Called a birthing center an hour and a half away out of desperation. The nurse there was SO HELPFUL. She listened to me as I half told her/half sobbed my stupid little dilemma. She gave me a few great recommendations...

That's totally crazy. Plenty of doctors allow people to go past 41w (I'm 41w today and am revisiting the topic of induction with my doc on Thurs at 41+2). They absolutely should not force you to be induced if there is no medical reason to do so and it's totally unethical for them to be pressuring you. At the same time, I can see why other doctors would be hesitant to take you on as patient at 40w. Have you tried calling midwives in addition to OBs? They might be more understanding and willing to take you on if you don't have any risk factors. Good luck!!
  • Options
    emzcatemzcat member
    edited November 2015

Any advice???

Honestly, if you can find another obgyn / midwife to deliver that won't pressure you, I would change. It seems like this is causing you a lot of undue stress, maybe more so than just changing obgyn.

Also, what bull!! So the Monday after the holiday is too soon?... Then schedule it for a couple days after that. An EDD is just that, an estimation. It's two weeks before and two weeks after that is within NORMAL range.

Sorry you're going through this. Definitely weigh what is most important to you and go that route. Don't compromise.

Edit: sleepy errors
  • Options
    @Bettytteb I know you've been playing the waiting game! It's a lot of pressure! I hope your LO decides to make an appearance before you got to evict. Even if you do though, at least you know you gave quite some time (and patience!)
    There are no midwives in my area that accept my insurance :/ But there are more options if I am willing to drive about an hour, hour and a half away..So I'm not quite sure yet.The one birthing center I called today was extremely compassionate and helpful. They said they would be willing to consider taking me in (after reviewing my paperwork ect.) this late..it's just quite a drive and there's this weird thing with my insurance where they might not be able to accept it prior to december1st.. I'll have to make a few phone calls tomorrow to figure that out.  

@emzcat It is most definitely causing me a lot of stress. You could tell? ;) 
    The Monday after the holiday would be too late they said, because I would be over 41 weeks they said...I'm rolling my eyes suuuper hard right now. 

Thanks to everyone that at some point has given me support or advice on this :) I feel a tad AW-y, but being able to vent to other pregnant women, some of whom are going through similar issues, is so helpful and inspiring!
  • Options
    emzcatemzcat member
    edited November 2015
    I totally meant too late, not too soon. :neutral: blah... This cold is effing me up.

Edit: I'm not sure what I meant anymore... Lol. I guess I was thinking too soon after the holiday but I misunderstood. Point being, they're idiots.
  • Options
    Unica1302+Unica1302+ member
    edited November 2015
    So I had my 39 week appt today, I'm 39 weeks exactly today. I declined the vaginal exam and reported the lack of regular Braxton hicks, lack of discharge, still have the mucus plug-basically no symptoms of an impending labor. I was scheduled for a ultrasound for my exact 40 weeks to check for placental health and fluid levels. If that goes well it buys me until 40w 4 days when they would do another ultrasound check for fetal health and potentially schedule an induction for 41 week mark. I feel ok about this plan bc im pretty certain about the conception date and I know placentas have an increasing tendency to fail past 40-41 weeks. I was advised to have lots of sex and bounce on my yoga ball, so I'll go do that. Praying she arrives by the end of the weekend, sigh...

I intended to be as natural from the beginning (also im strep b pos, so i wanted to decrease vaginal interference as it can raise potential infection rate) but if no progress by 40 weeks...should I do a sweep and a dilation check?
  • Options
    blesofskyblesofsky member
    edited November 2015
    edited to quote below
  • Options

39+4. Still no contractions but I've been crampy on and off almost all day today. Also I'm now finally feeling him on my bladder, so hoping that he's starting to move on down. Go back Friday which is my due date. Fingers crossed he comes this weekend!

Right there with you! My EDD is Fri also and really hoping this boy starts doing something soon other than all this sporadic cramping and evening BH contractions. Hang in there!
  • Options
    Does anyone else notice their back popping so easily? When I get out of bed and stand up, I hear like 3 big pops! Or rolling over in bed, same thing. It's strange, but feels lovely :) I'm hoping this means things are loosening up down below seeing as how I'm 39w2d.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Does anyone else notice their back popping so easily? When I get out of bed and stand up, I hear like 3 big pops! Or rolling over in bed, same thing. It's strange, but feels lovely :) I'm hoping this means things are loosening up down below seeing as how I'm 39w2d.

Yes! Lower middle of my back. It pops when I move side to side, only started 3 days ago. Chiro said it was my sacrum moving in prep for baby delivery.
  • Options
    40 weeks today and no sign of impending labor. No dilation no loss of plug far and Inbetween Braxton's I don't know how I'm going to make it the next few days she better hurry up! Does anyone else get texts from people every day asking if the baby is here yet and get completely annoyed? It's like obviously not and you badgering me about it is not making the wait any easier!
  • Options
    finally felt braxton hicks last night! it's nice to know my body is at least practicing to get this baby out sometime relatively soon... hopefully.
  • Options
    When did everyone dr/midwives begin offering or doing membrane sweeps? What are they like?
  • Options
    Still no sign of baby making a move himself, so looks like I'm going to be induced tomorrow.

I am so scared and anxious. This is my first baby and I was hoping labour would happen naturally so I could ease in to it. I liked the idea of not knowing when baby would arrive.

Now I know that tomorrow I am being induced I will have baby out by the weekend and it terrifies me. I am panicking that I am not ready for this life changing event. That my relationship with by husband will change forever or that I won't be able to cope being a mother.

On top of that I am scared that by doing an induction it's going to hurt more because it speeds up the process. I don't have a specific birth plan but I had hoped it would be natural and without an epidural however I've heard that inductions can be really painful due to not having the natural build up in contractions and that many women ask for an epidural. I am so terrified right now and don't know what to do with myself :(

(don't get me wrong I'm very excited to meet my baby but I think knowing that it's tomorrow has got me in a panic now)
  • Options
    Just left the doctor..only 2cm dilated, my cervix is soft but the baby is still high so he said that he can't schedule an induction until next Wednesday .. So I guess I'll be spending my Thanksgiving in the hospital. So all of these contractions I've been having has been for nothing
  • Options
    I am 38+4 and the last two days the cramps and pressure.... My oh my! I am trying to get through work tonight and tomorrow but honestly, I don't want to move at all. Baby is still moving well and I go back to the doctor on Friday but boy am I uncomfortable. And I'm worried that I'm not going to know when I go into labor... Everywhere I've read is that when you're there, you'll know but I'm so terrified of not knowing!
  • Options

I am 38+4 and the last two days the cramps and pressure.... My oh my! I am trying to get through work tonight and tomorrow but honestly, I don't want to move at all. Baby is still moving well and I go back to the doctor on Friday but boy am I uncomfortable. And I'm worried that I'm not going to know when I go into labor... Everywhere I've read is that when you're there, you'll know but I'm so terrified of not knowing!

I feel the same way! I'm 39+5 and keep hoping the cramps and pressure will turn into something but it never does. I also have a high pain threshold so I'm also worried that I might miss actual contractions happening but my OB said she's had patients before and they have been able to tell the difference so that ease me my mind. I also go back Friday which is his due date. Really want him to come this weekend!
  • Options
    @alyssaleighw not fear
    Of throwing up but fear of pooping on the table lol! I wanna be emptied out before I go into labor although I know that's really unrealistic. I am also extremely jealous every time I see a new post from someone whose in labor or delivered..
  • Options
    mcdoug211 said:

@alyssaleighw not fear
    Of throwing up but fear of pooping on the table lol! I wanna be emptied out before I go into labor although I know that's really unrealistic. I am also extremely jealous every time I see a new post from someone whose in labor or delivered..

Yes! Fear of both ends for me! Lollll
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!
  • Options
    Had an appointment today, 39+2, and midwife did my first membrane sweep(ouch!) and went ahead and scheduled an induction for next Wednesday. I was 80% effaced and just shy of 3cms today so hopefully LO will decide to come before Tuesday night when I'll be admitted to L&D.
    Was anyone's sweep successful in jump starting labor?
  • Options
    sadyy131 said:

mcdoug211 said:

@alyssaleighw not fear

Yes! Fear of both ends for me! Lollll
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    I ate chipotle the other day and that night we thought my water broke (turns out it didn't) but I was freaking out the whole night thinking omg if I go into labor I'm going to have the chipotle shits!!

I just laughed out loud. DH and I have been trying all the things that supposedly help with labor just for fun like pineapple, walking, etc. and the spicy food is the one thing I am not going to risk! Lol
  • Options
    40+3 today... Had a sweep yesterday that did nothing and going for an induction massage in an hour or so. So ready to meet my baby and soooo emotional about it
  • Options
    40+4 today. Had my NST and all is good with LO. Went for acupuncture afterwards and now just waiting to hear from the induction scheduler who said she would call by 4:30 to let us know if she was able to get us on the schedule for Monday. She said she had 10 women to schedule for that day though! Ugh!
  • Options
    Well made it to my due date which is today so at 40 weeks! Still just a few aches and pains but nothing set in stone. Feel like I'm going to go crazy since I started my maternity leave early. Been debating on decorating for Xmas early but every time I want to get stuff out of our storage closet my little one is attached to my hip and all the Xmas gifts r in that closet. Maybe that is a sign to not start that project!?!

As for what others were saying about the pooping during labor I never had a fear of that but I do remember with my last one that I peed and I totally said it out loud "I'm peeing!" And then said sorry! I'm sure the doctors have seen worse but it was awkward but didn't last long because baby started to come.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just had this week's appt (39+3) and the midwife asked how I was doing, and then if I wanted a membrane strip. Bless her heart, my misery must have been written all over my face. If she hadn't asked, I would have brought it up.

I'm still 1 cm and -1 station, but 50% effaced (up from 25% last week). The sweep was uncomfortable, but having my cervix checked at 25w hurt a lot more. The not great news is that baby is sunny side up, which I thought might be the case based on the lower back pain and pressure I had the last few weeks.

Now.. we wait. Midwife said it could go either way and won't work if my body isnt ready (which I knew going in). I'm having contractions now, but we'll see if they amount to anything! Fingers crossed that they do!
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

Is anyone like afraid to eat a lot in fear of going into labor and throwing it up? Lol I've been asking myself "is this something I could handle coming back up?" before everything I eat haha
    40+4 today. In a terrible mood. Irritated about everything! Ugh just want to hold my baby. I'm getting sooo jealous of all the moms on here that had their babies already..

Not really. And I threw up my entire labor with my daughter! TMI- My body emptied itself out for a few hours first before the throwing up started so by then it was just all liquid.
  • Options
    Today I'm having crazy Braxton Hicks (non painful). Every time I change positions, get up, bend over or go to the bathroom I get one. Anyone else in the same boat? I've never had them so frequently before!
  • Options

Today I'm having crazy Braxton Hicks (non painful). Every time I change positions, get up, bend over or go to the bathroom I get one. Anyone else in the same boat? I've never had them so frequently before!

Yes, I'm 38 + 5 and today is the first day I've had them more frequently during the day and not just a few at night as I had previous nights. Had my Drs appt today and he checked me, said nothing was going on in there! DH thinks if I have one BH contraction the baby is coming... Poor guy! He's going to have a long week (and probably more)