Breastfeeding

(Re) Intro and fussy nurser

Hi Ladies, this is my 1st post in quite awhile, so I'll re-introduce myself.  I spent a lot of time on this board after having my son in 10/2013; I found so much support and helpful information here.  DS just turned two, and I successfully nursed until he was a year old. I stopped (at the advice of my doctor) at that time as I was pregnant with my daughter, who is now 5.5 months. With my son, I dealt with oversupply, fast let down & three episodes of mastitis. This time, I have avoided oversupply issues but have a strange problem I'm not sure what to do about. My daughter is a very laid back baby in general, but has become a "fussy" (lazy?) nurser. I think there are probably two contributing factors.  First, she takes a pacifier, which my son never did.  Secondly, I am a working mom so she gets pumped milk in bottles during the day. Ever since she was about 4 months, she's been resistant to nursing during the day. She seems too impatient to wait for let-down, pulls off & cries. Sometimes I can "trick her" with her pacifier and switch over to nursing. I thought it was a phase or strike, but it seems to be continuing & I'm getting frustrated. She nurses great overnight, latches right away with no crying. All of the problems occur during the daytime. Any suggestions? Avoiding bottles is not an option.  I am planning to start taking away the pacifier fairly soon, but I don't know if that will help with this issue at this point anyway.  Thoughts??
TTC #1 12/2009
BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
4/2012 FET BFP #3
5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
Baby,please stay!!
Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: (Re) Intro and fussy nurser

• Have you looked into paced bottle feeding? The idea is to make LO work for milk from the bottle so it's similar to the breast. Here's an article from KellyMom: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/ And a good YouTube video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
  • Could it be gas?
  • Loading the player...
  • What kind of bottles are being used during the day? I agree with earlier poster that slowing down the daytime feedings to make baby work for it like she does the breast at help.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Thanks for the replies, ladies.  LO gets pumped breast milk in Dr. Brown's bottles w/ newborn level one nipples during the day. My childcare provider is extremely experienced w/ care of breastfed babies and I have gone over paced bottle feeding with her.  I don't think there's much I can do to correct her technique at this point.  I would also add, she took care of my son from 9 weeks on and I never had this issue w/ him.  I guess I could try addressing it again with her.  

As for gas, yes, she does burp most feedings and sometimes seems a little gassy, but usually this is later in the feeding.  Her fussiness w/ nursing occurs before feeding even begins.  

I am pretty well convinced that this is an issue of being too impatient to wait for let-down.  Even w/ paced bottle feeding they basically get immediate let down. Hmmph.  
    TTC #1 12/2009

1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3

2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Baby,please stay!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6

• @missemmawoodhouse Thanks for the great video.  Although I've said some of these things, I think the video is really helpful in demonstrating techniques and also has some suggestions that are new to me.   
    TTC #1 12/2009

1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3

Baby,please stay!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6

• Maybe try pumping to get the let down going and then putting her on the breast?