March 2016 Moms
Options

50/50 Chance of surviving labor

Last week I met my geneticist for the first time, we talked about family history and touched base on my heart condition we believe to be due to Marfans Syndrome. It effects connective tissue in the body, and my Aortic Root Heart Valve (which a main artery pumping blood into your body). He went on the tell me I have a 50/50 chance of surviving thorough labor and delivery, the added blood volume during pregnancy can strain my heart valve and make issue. At labor it can make the heart valve rip complete and cause death if not caugh in time.  He also suggested Abortion, because of the high risk pregnancy risking my life. I'm currently 22 I have known about this heart issue since 16 and have been extremely careful about having safe sex. The only thing that can fix my (Aortic Root Heart Valve) in emergency heart surgery after I give birth to my baby. This pregnancy is the most amazing blessing to my boyfriend and I even if by surprise, I hope everything will work out! On the 18th of November we will find out the sex of our child we're so excited! Got to keep postive and faith even in the hardest days we have to push thorough together, if anyone is going through something similar contact me I would love some one to talk with!

Re: 50/50 Chance of surviving labor

• Options
    I too have a heart condition. One I've had since birth. It's called a congenital heart block. Luckily, my doctors think I'll be okay during the pregnancy and labor but I had (and still have) the fear that something can happen during labor with all the extra strain on my heart. So I definitely feel for you. Are you seeing a cardiologist regularly through your pregnant? I go every 6 weeks to see mine and more frequently closer to my due date. Is a c-section able to cut the risk down for you if they do it a few weeks early? I'll be praying for you for a safe and healthy pregnancy and delivery with whatever decisions you have to make.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Thank you for such sweet words. Yes I have a Cardiologist I see him ever 6 weeks, also a high risk OBGYN. I'm hoping for C-sention they keep telling me "we'll talk about it later".. I feel it's safest for the baby and I both for what I've read online, hopfully they'll see it the same way. I really don't think my heart can handle labor after everything the doctors have told me is going on. You will be in my prayers and thoughts as well, good luck with your pregnancy and delivery! @thecubiclee
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Aww praying for u sweetie u will pull through wish u the best and u will deliver a happy healthy baby
  • Options
    Just sending prayers your way!
  • Options
    @nshirley89. Thank you for the kind words ❤❤
  • Options
    Happy vibes your way. I hope your doctors opt for a c-section if that's a safer way to go. Being young is on your side I'm sure. Take care of yourself.
  • Options
    My thoughts and prayers go out to you. I truly hope everything works out. Keep us posted.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    Yes please keep us posted!! I'll be praying for you and your family!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    I would think a c-section would be safer for you. I really hope everything will go well for you and your baby.
                                                                                  image

• Options
    cmerriburycmerribury member
    edited November 2015
    Please do keep us posted. Best wishes for you and your baby. I hope that (if it proves the safer route) they consider the c-section and that you are able to recover quickly and enjoy that sweet bundle. 

Edited because I haven't finished my tea yet, so words are hard.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Keeping you in my prayers; I hope they find a safe way for you to deliver.
  • Options
    ((Creepy hugz)) I have no experience with any of this but I find your strength to stand by your decision to keep baby despite the possible complications inspiring. You're already a great mom. Keep doing your research and fighting for what you think is best. You'll be in my prayers and as pp's have mentioned please keep us updated.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little one.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    Keeping you and your LO in my prayers. Please keep us updated

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I will be praying for you and your growing little family. Keep us posted, and I really hope evetything goes well for you!
  • Options
    I feel bad... Sending my prayers to u n ur little one... God makes miracles happen... Trust me.... Hugs ...
  • Options
    Sending good thoughts your way.Please keep us updated!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This seems like a situation where a c-section would absolutely be appropriate (I do think they are over-used in general). You may also want to get an opinion from another MFM practice to see what they think (I.e. Early delivery, getting steroids/surfactant for baby, bed rest after a certain point) and a provider who is willing to collaborate with your cardiologist. I wish you all the best and seriously consider a second opinion if you don't feel like your current provider is really listening to you.
  • Options
    This made me cry. I hope you and your baby will be alright. I will send some prayers your way. I also think the c section would be the safest way to go. I would also suggest a second opinion. It couldn't hurt.
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for you kind words and prayers it's much appreciated! I saw my Cardiologist yesterday, he said my chance of making thorough labor were better then my Genesis told me, I'm so glad there's hope for my baby and I!
  • Options
    Thank you for such sweet words. Yes I have a Cardiologist I see him ever 6 weeks, also a high risk OBGYN. I'm hoping for C-sention they keep telling me "we'll talk about it later".. I feel it's safest for the baby and I both for what I've read online, hopfully they'll see it the same way. I really don't think my heart can handle labor after everything the doctors have told me is going on. You will be in my prayers and thoughts as well, good luck with your pregnancy and delivery! @thecubiclee

I'm no Dr, but it seems like this is a conversation that I would push to have immediately. I'm sure they say "we'll talk about it later" because they think you may change your mind about having the baby because of the risks but since you seem confident in your decision I would request that the termination conversation be ended and the preparation for as healthy and controlled a labor as possible conversation begin,

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you,

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    Praying for you and your LO!!
  • Options
    I'll be praying for you! Like everyone else said please keep us posted! I really hope/pray everything goes well for you and your LO! Hoping you have a lot of support from family and friends!
  • Options
    Wow... this must be so tough to handle! I truly admire your bravery and positive attitude. I really hope your Team of Doctors will come up with a plan to keep you and baby as safe as possible. Keep us posted! Sending good thoughts your way :)
  • Options