January 2016 Moms
Options

What bottles are everyone considering?

I'm a FTM and I've never been around babies before! I'm very confused on a lot of baby things but I've been able to get a lot of information from researching and going to the baby store...I should also probably say I'm not good with kids...like I never thought I'd be a mom, ever. Now that its happening however I am excited and trying to figure things out. The most confusing thing I've found so far has got to be the choice of baby bottle???? I plan on Breastfeeding, but I have a working farm, where I break and train horses so my mom and dad have very generously offered to babysit a few hours a day for me so I can get some of my farm work done, so I want to pump asap, so hubby can be involved as well. I've looked at the tommie tippie bottles? and a few others but Id really just like everyones honest opinion so I can sort through my own research as well as honest reviews! Thanks!

Re: What bottles are everyone considering?

• Options
    Everyone I know uses Dr. Browns because they help with gas and colick - I plan to use those.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, so I'm inexperienced, but I'm looking into getting this kiinde breastfeeding set.  It comes with two bottles (and a lot of other stuff!)  I'll probably order an additional 2 bottles, just to have plenty on hand.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like Avent bottles.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    I used avent with my first and again with these. I know a lot of people use Dr. browns but that was too many pieces to wash for us.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    I'm a FTM, so I'm inexperienced, but I'm looking into getting this kiinde breastfeeding set.  It comes with two bottles (and a lot of other stuff!)  I'll probably order an additional 2 bottles, just to have plenty on hand.

I never thought to look on Amazon lol. I hunted through my babies r us store and my local Wal-Mart...which is kinda scary for me, (I never been in the baby section at Wal-mart and have always avoided Babies r us at all costs lol) 
  • Options
    @sspcap - Yeah, Amazon has been great so far!  We did our registry through them because we're Prime customers and my family is big on Amazon gift cards as gifts, so it seemed like the easiest fit.  And I love being able to go through all the reviews!
  • Options
    Many of the moms I know told me not to stock up on any one particular bottle until the baby comes. Your baby might not end up liking the bottle you selected. In fact, my cousin is trying to give me her stash of Tommy Tippee bottles because her twins hate them. I've just been picking up singles of the most common brands when I'd see them on sale/clearance and we'll see what he takes to when he comes along.
  • Options
    Many of the moms I know told me not to stock up on any one particular bottle until the baby comes. Your baby might not end up liking the bottle you selected. In fact, my cousin is trying to give me her stash of Tommy Tippee bottles because her twins hate them. I've just been picking up singles of the most common brands when I'd see them on sale/clearance and we'll see what he takes to when he comes along.
    We had the same idea, the lure of a bottle starter set is very compelling but after researching I've discovered getting a few different kinds would be better but I'm still very interested in every ones opinions! 
  • Options
    My only requirement is that my bottles are glass. I registered for Avent, which are a little pricy and then Evenflow, which are really affordable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Tommee Tippee is our brand of choice
  • Options
    We really like using the Dr. Browns glass bottles. I'm not crazy about warming milk in plastic bottles and these have seemed pretty durable although we haven't dropped one yet.

Dr. Browns are designed for breastmilk. The nutrients in breastmilk breakdown easily if the milk isn't handled gently (it should be swirled not shaken, ect.) These bottles are designed to direct the air bubbles that enter the bottle as baby drinks straight to the bottom of the bottle, bypassing and not diaturbing the milk.

You can get free Dr. Browns plastic bottles frequently at babies r us when you use a coupon from the ad booklet and make a minimal purchase, usually $15 or so.
  • Options
    I liked tommee tippee because they only have 3 parts to wash! Luckily both my babies would drink from any bottle I offered them, I hope this one is the same way!
  • Options
    I used Dr. Brown's bottles with DS after many recommendations from my sister and some friends. DS took to them very easily and never had any issues with gas. They do have a lot of parts compared to most other bottles, but those parts are what make the airflow in the bottle less likely to cause gas. We just had a couple of those baskets that go in the dishwasher and we threw all the parts in there to be washed. We plan to use the same bottles again for DD.
  • Options
    I'm only getting a small pack of the Medela bottles (mainly because of the Medela pump) and a small pack of the Avent Natural bottles to try them out.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    We used Tommee tippee with our first and they are so easy to clean. DD used them easy between us nursing( we were using the shield then switched to formula) and she didn't have an issue going back and forth between breast and bottle. We had to supplement in the beginning as well. We have chosen to switch to born free this time because we are using glass. Their bottles are cheaper than Tommee tippee in glass. We have the born free and bought one joovy glass bottle. Hoping to just use the born free. I've heard great things about it being easy to go back and forth breast and bottle. I will say personally I never bought the small 4oz bottles. Thought they were a waste. And definitely don't get a huge pack of them because you never know what your child will like. She hated 3 pacifiers and finally took to the soothie. Good luck!
  • Options
    We got tommee tippee for my son and he took them (as well as a few other ransoms we had) no problem. So I will start there with my daughter and if she doesn't like them we can experiment with different kinds.
  • Options
    DD liked the Playtex Ventaire bottles (BPA free plastic), but I'm holding off buying any quantity of them in case this LO has a different preference.

• Options
    i love the playtex ventair bottles its all i used with dd and its what i've bought for this baby.
  • Options
    My plan is to get Medela, Advent and Dr. Browns Wide Neck and hope baby takes one of them.
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and I don't know many other moms I can get advice from, so Lucie's List has been a great help for me when deciding on various baby products. I went with Avent glass bottles in the end - they have great reviews and I like the idea of using glass. If our little girl ends up not liking it, then oh well, we'll return what we can and figure something else out.
  • Options
    I registered for Dr Browns and Tippee Tommee with my first. I ended up returning them all and just using the medela ones that came with my pump. I did end up buying the expensive nipple that is supposed to be better for breastfeed babies as well. I liked being able to pump into the bottle and then use the same bottle to feed out of without having to deal with conversion attachments and such.
  • Options
    With DS we started using glass and decided to stop once the first one broke. We started using tommee tippee and loved them compared to others because they were easier to clean. And trust me you will be so sick of cleaning bottles!! I wouldn't get too many now though because you never know if baby will prefer one over another. The avent naturals were also pretty good.
  • Options
    Dr. Brown's bottles for me. My DD had a lot of gas and digestive issues so we are using the bottles that worked for DD.
  • Options
    We are going to try the Kiinde system as well. It has rave reviews despite being fairly new!
  • Options
    My advice is don't but a lot of one kind of bottle. Breastfed babies can be very picky about what bottle they take so get one of 3 or 4 different choices and see how baby does- what they like, doesn't cause etc and then go buy a stock of bottles
  • Options
    Tommee tippee glass. We are using glass only this time, but my first had reflux issues and playtex drop ins where the only bottle that got the air out so she could hold liquids.
  • Options
    I've breastfed and pumped whole at work for both of my boys, for a year each. Both boys did fine with playtex drop-in liner bottles. Plan on using them again for this one too!
  • Options
    We used Tommee Tippee with our first babe, and they were great. Easy to hold, have an anti-colic valve, and mimic the breast shape really well. 

This time, I'm looking at Dr. Browns - I've heard really great things about the anti-colic properties, and I like that they're glass. The less plastic, the better! 

I'll probably get just a 2 of each of these to try out. I'm breastfeeding as well, so shouldn't need more than that. 
  • Options
    Tommee tippee glass. We are using glass only this time, but my first had reflux issues and playtex drop ins where the only bottle that got the air out so she could hold liquids.
    Tommee Tippee makes glass ones now?! Done and done! :) 
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Tommee tippee all the way. I used them with my older children (12 & 9) and they took to them no problems but when we had our 3rd (now 19 months) I did all my research about what's best for baby and decided on a different brand (mamm) as they are anti colic etc. Anyway cut a long story short, baby and I did not get on with them - the teat shape & size is all wrong on the smaller sized bottles - they are nothing like the breast and we combination fed. It was an awful experience. I tried lots of different teats on the same bottle (dtr Browns etc). I spent a fortune.

In the end I switched to Tommee tipee closer to nature (the same design I'd used years earlier) any way she took to them like a duck to water and all our problems were solved!

Never switching again!

Tommee tippee closer to nature range again this time for me :)
  • Options
    I'm a FTM too and I've done a lot of reading from Lucie's List as well. One of the things she recommended for first time moms was this bottle variety starter set. It's the only bottles (besides the ones that come with my medela pump) that I've registered for. This way I can see what the baby likes and then go from there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RR2DT1G/ref=aw_br_ov_dp__8?colid=7JDV7CZ2HM04&coliid=I1WY5XKKNXEJ6W
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding really dumb, not all bottles will fit on any pump right? So if you get Dr. Browns bottles but have a Madela pump, you pump into the Madela bottle and then pour into whatever kind of bottle you want to use?? Is that how it works? And when or why would you use the plastic liners? Sorry so many questions!
  • Options
    claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited November 2015
    @krisdee123 Right not all bottles fit on all pumps. Most pumps can take standard size bottles, and a few require wide neck bottles. But yeah you can pump into whatever came with your pump and then dump into whatever you want to feed in or store the milk in for later. Plastic liners are just another bottle type, I think generally for the Playtex brand. You can use the liner instead of cleaning it every time. The kiinde system that a few other moms mentioned has attachments for $7 that will fit all the most common pumps. Blind leading the blind over here but that's what I've found from my research. https://community.babycenter.com/post/a30099469/medela_pump_different_bottles

https://www.lucieslist.com/baby-registry-basics/feeding/
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    We had the mimijumi bottles for DD and they were great!! They are made to look and feel like the breast so they are perfect if you're struggling with breastfeeding and need to give a bootle too. We ordered them on amazon.
  • Options
    I'm aiming to use kiinde as well. I also have a few random avent and other bottles that I've gotten for free so if they kiinde don't work out I have those to try. I really want the kiinde to work though becuase all you have to clean is the nipples, a lot less washing!
  • Options
    I just have one thing to add for anyone who is breastfeeding and offering a bottle. This article from Kelly Mom has great tips for bottle feeding the breastfed baby. It is great to print out and give to anyone who will be caring for your baby and feeding them when you're not around. She talks about proper positioning, paced feeding and feeding to hunger cues.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

I also recommend using the lowest flow nipple that your baby will take. Babies need to work harder to draw milk from the breast and if the nipple on the bottle flows freely they may begin to prefer the ease of bottle feeding to breastfeeding. We started with preemie and used that until ds was about 8 months and definitely preferred the breast.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! It is so great to see every ones opinions and ideas! 

• Options
    At the risk of sounding really dumb, not all bottles will fit on any pump right? So if you get Dr. Browns bottles but have a Madela pump, you pump into the Madela bottle and then pour into whatever kind of bottle you want to use?? Is that how it works? And when or why would you use the plastic liners? Sorry so many questions!

Yes!!! Me too!!!!!! This is why I asked everyone lol. Its so complicated! I never realized how much stuff a baby needed or how complicated it was!
  • Options
    FTM I'm registered for tommee tippee & medela bottles. I plan to use dr browns nipples with the medela bottles or the tommee tippie pouches/bottles with the tommee tippie nipples depending on what the baby likes. At first I was going to go with the kiinde system but then I discovered that there's an adaptor to directly pump to tommee tippie using a medela pump. Tommee tippie has a new system "pump & go" which is similar to the kiinde system so I decided to register also for that because I saw too many reviews about the kiinde nipples splitting but I may want the convenience of pumping without having to transfer the milk.

https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=61280066

I didn't plan using the dr Browns bottles because of how many parts they have & the cleaning difficulty. I decided to start with something easier to clean & if those don't work for her then I'll try dr Browns bottles.
  • Options
    we have purchased some playtex vent air bottles. we will see how they go