December 2015 Moms
Options

What is your planned method of pain relief?

2»

Re: What is your planned method of pain relief?

• Options
    Question for you STMs that labored in a tub - is it the heat that helps or the water motion? I wonder because I know lots of us don't necessarily have the tub option available (my hospital doesn't have any) and I'm curious if I can use a heating pad instead to help with some pain. I haven't heard heating pads discussed for labor but if the warm water helps maybe they can too?
  • Options
    stavraz said:

Question for you STMs that labored in a tub - is it the heat that helps or the water motion? I wonder because I know lots of us don't necessarily have the tub option available (my hospital doesn't have any) and I'm curious if I can use a heating pad instead to help with some pain. I haven't heard heating pads discussed for labor but if the warm water helps maybe they can too?

This is a good question that I've been curious about too. My tub at home doesn't have jets but at the hospital it does. I think the general answer is the heat on its own is great, but I imagine the jets would also be helpful.

FTM but what I hear is that women often equally or even more prefer the shower, so that's something to consider. I do plan to use a heating pad though like you suggested. At our birthing class this week they suggested socks filled with rice heated in the microwave and then rolled over the back, but my husband said "why don't we combine heat and tennis balls? Wrap the tennis balls in the heating pad and massage that way" and I thought that was a great idea.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everyone deals with pain in their own way but one thing most are not aware of- an epidural actually shuts down the body's release of endorphins (natural pain relief) and since these endorphins also affect the baby, shutting them down (or significantly lowering them) causes baby to be in more pain during labor. That may be enough of a reason to consider pushing through the pain just a little bit longer! And women have had natural births for many years before the epidural was around. :)
  • Options
    The plan is to go natural for as long as I can and use an epi has the last resort. I'll be discussing getting a TENS unit with my dr on Friday. It's nice to hear what all you ladies are thinking. Tonight I'm watching a webinar on the benefits of natural birth also
  • Options
    The baby is in pain during labor? I've always thought crowning might be a bit uncomfortable for baby, but never assumed baby was in actual pain during labor as well.

Genuinely interested - could you provide a legitimate source for this statement?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @stavraz From what I read when I was pregnant with DS a lot of the benefit comes from the buoyancy provided by the water. It's thought to allow contractions to be more efficient with a little less work for you body and can possibly shorten labor. All that said, it seemed to me like it was the combination that helped. I would try anything available if there's a chance of it helping.
  • Options
    I haven't heard epidurals leaving babies in pain during labor, but there is some evidence that pitocin can lead to fetal distress since the contractions are longer and closer together (though this can also be case specific). Many women who get pitocin also get epidurals since these contractions aren't natural. Not sure if that's what PP meant, but also totally unrelated in some respects.
  • Options
    bmcotton said:

Everyone deals with pain in their own way but one thing most are not aware of- an epidural actually shuts down the body's release of endorphins (natural pain relief) and since these endorphins also affect the baby, shutting them down (or significantly lowering them) causes baby to be in more pain during labor. That may be enough of a reason to consider pushing through the pain just a little bit longer! And women have had natural births for many years before the epidural was around. :)

Empirical evidence please.
  • Options
    I've always put it as part of my birth plan that they don't break my water; they let it break on its own. It helps the cervix open... and I'm all for speeding the process along!
  • Options
    Epidural blocks aren't an option here, if they were I'd get one. I'll have to settle for the next best thing, a spinal analgesia.