December 2015 Moms

What is your planned method of pain relief?

I have been researching this since my OB asked a couple of weeks ago if I wanted an epi. I plan on a natural birth, but that will probably go out the window as soon as the first major contraction hits! Just curious to see what everyone else is planning.

Re: What is your planned method of pain relief?

• I'm part of the go with the flow party. As an FTM, I don't know how I'll handle it. So I want to be open to the epidural and pain med if I feel like I have to have them. Saying an absolute no to it makes me nervous because I don't know how I'll handle such severe pain.
  • My plans are an epidural. I'm a STM and from previous experience I know exactly what I want. With previous pregnancy I planned to do what I wanted spur of the moment. I had to real plans and was willing to try natural remedies as well as drugs if I needed them. The pain wasn't that bad until they broke my water. At that point I could handle it and wanted my epidural immediately. This time I will tell them I want an epidural as soon as my water breaks. I think everyone tolerates pain differently and everyone has to do what is best for them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm also team go with the flow. I want to try a natural birth but if the pain is just unbearable I'll be getting an epi.
  • I heard that once your water breaks, the pain gets severe so ask them to break it as late as possible if they need to.
  • I plan on avoiding the epidural if possible. I plan on using breathing and meditation techniques for as long as possible. My biggest concerns with the epidural is really just that I have't had good experiences with pain killers or anesthesia in the past. I'm most concerned about the headaches epidurals sometimes cause--I have only had a handful of migraines but most of mine have happened after I had a medical procedure that required painkillers or anesthesia.
  • I'm going to go natural as long as possible. I will also be going with an analgesic first to see if that's enough ... if not, I'm not against an epi, just my last option.
  • Hypnobirthing/meditation. We've been practicing for a couple weeks and my doula is trained in hypnobirthing and has had 3 children using the method. If I get absolutely exhausted or in too much pain and I can still get an epidural, I will. But the goal is to labor at home for as long as possible then go to the hospita. I hate the idea of being confined to a bed.
  • @Court11152325 I also plan on laboring as long as I can at home. I want to be able to sit in a tub or walk around.
  • I plan to do the same as a few others.. I would like a natural child birth, but considering I have no idea the extent of pain and what I'll be able to tolerate so an epidural will be an option, but last resort. I've seen the needle used for an epidural and it scares me!
  • I plan for an epidural. I will try to go as long as I can without one but my theory is why be in pain, when I can be pain free (or have the pain be manageable) and comfortable. I'm a FTM so I have nothing to compare it to, so we shall see what happens.
  • I'm a FTM and I'm going to try for unmedicated using meditation/breathing and visualization - hypnobirthing techniques. I've heard that the ability to move around during contractions really helps with pain management, so I want to avoid an epidural. However if the pain becomes too great or labor lasts a really long time, I'm 100% okay with an epidural, especially if my OB breaks out the pitocin. My DH isn't on board with any meds, but I've pretty much told him that on this matter "no uterus, no opinion". LOL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Repeat csection soooooo spinal block please!
  • I will also be going with the flow. I'd like to be able to move around so obviously I want to wait on the epidural, however it's starting to look like I'll be induced around 36 or 37 weeks so if it's not quick I'll probably be more likely to want one.
    My hospital has a hydrobath for laboring so if it's available and my doctor agrees I'd like to try it.
    I plan on discussing options at my next appointment for both induction and natural labor.
  • All natural over here - I've done it before and I'm hoping I can do it again unless medical intervention is necessary.
  • STM- I'm team bring on the epidural
  • Just breathing here, no meds.
  • My main reason for wanting to avoid the epidural is to avoid escalating interventions (stalled labour -> pitocin or c-section) and an episiotomy (I know it's not *supposed* to be common practice, but everyone I know has had one for at least their first birth and every one of those had an epidural. I'd rather tear). But, I won't feel bad for one second if that's what needs to happen. Part of that is I also really want to avoid being induced.

So with that, I plan to labour as long as I can at home with the help of DH, my doula who is also one of my closest friends, and my midwife. I plan to use the shower, maybe the bath, massage, and counter pressure, as well as a TENS machine if it helps. Part of my mindset is if I stay home long enough I won't be able to get an epidural so if it's not an option I'm less likely to go for it.

I've never been one to physically challenge myself with sports or marathons or anything, but to me the challenge of overcoming the pain of childbirth is for some reason really exciting (I know all you STMs are rolling your eyes at me), so I'm trying to mentally prepare with that in mind.

I realize this is all a plan and I have to be willing to throw the plan out the window for a number of unforeseen circumstances, and I am, I just think for me personally having a thoroughly thought through vision will make it more likely to happen.
  • natural as long as possible, and epidural only if i'm exhausted or dying from pain.
  • I talked to my OB about this today. She says that the window in which you will need to request an epidural is right around 7 cm dialated. That if you wait too long after this point, you may run out of time to get the anesthesiologist to your room. I am 100% in the go with the flow camp, but I do not handle pain all that well so I imagine I will be getting an epi at some point.
  • A recent study 

The Association Between Common Labor Drugs and Suckling When Skin-to-Skin During the First Hour After Birth

• STM, epidural for me. Last time I was in labor for almost 3 days, finally got an epidural for the last 5 hours (until they turned it off so I could push) I had no complications and was up walking, catheter out right after. Getting an Epidural is like a visit from the pregnancy fairy!
  • For the first bit, I want to move around, squat; try the tub and eat.

And when the strong desire for pain relief starts to outweigh that, I will:

• Where I'm giving birth there is no epidural avaliable
    So gas and air, or pethidine probably.
    Preferably just the birthing pool but I'm open minded
  • Epidural. Definitely.
  • I'm a FTM and I'm going to try for unmedicated using meditation/breathing and visualization - hypnobirthing techniques. I've heard that the ability to move around during contractions really helps with pain management, so I want to avoid an epidural. However if the pain becomes too great or labor lasts a really long time, I'm 100% okay with an epidural, especially if my OB breaks out the pitocin. My DH isn't on board with any meds, but I've pretty much told him that on this matter "no uterus, no opinion". LOL.
    With DD, DH also was so-so on an epidural. I also told him that was one decision he got no say in. He was all for it when I asked for it. I was screaming and crying so hard at that point, they couldn't get there fast enough for him.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• A recent study 

The Association Between Common Labor Drugs and Suckling When Skin-to-Skin During the First Hour After Birth

That is one study, but it's not definitive. I had a result not in agreement with this study with my daughter. It is not abnormal for a baby to not be hungry right after birth. DD had no problems latching on within her first hour. I had an epidural and I didn't get to hold her for the first 30 mins because she swallowed meconium and was being suctioned. So, I had an epi and didn't get any skin to skin for the first 30 mins and she was still fine.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Entonox, Warm baths, hot showers, positioning, breathing, tens machines, counter pressure. I'm hoping I can cope enough with these. :)
  • My husband is under strict orders to suggest a cervix check if I ask for an epidural. My first kid was a "skittering into the hospital at 10 cm" baby so no epidural and my second was an induction and I finally asked for an epi and when they got it placed, the baby was out in under 5 minutes and I never got any real pain relief from it. Honestly neither were bad at all for me (first kinda sucked but mostly because the majority of active labor was in the car and I was fighting it because I was certain it was false labor) so bar any major issues or C-section, I'd really like to go med free again. I was so freaking high on endorphins and felt absolutely fantastic after having my first
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • redfallon said:

I'm a FTM and I'm going to try for unmedicated using meditation/breathing and visualization - hypnobirthing techniques. I've heard that the ability to move around during contractions really helps with pain management, so I want to avoid an epidural. However if the pain becomes too great or labor lasts a really long time, I'm 100% okay with an epidural, especially if my OB breaks out the pitocin. My DH isn't on board with any meds, but I've pretty much told him that on this matter "no uterus, no opinion". LOL.

With DD, DH also was so-so on an epidural. I also told him that was one decision he got no say in. He was all for it when I asked for it. I was screaming and crying so hard at that point, they couldn't get there fast enough for him.

Good to hear! My OB has pretty much said the same thing. Apparently he's met a lot of husbands who are adamant that their wives don't need pain meds, they get a couple of hours into labor then beg the OB to give her drugs stat. To me that's actually pretty funny. Men!
  • I plan to approach it the same way I did with my first. Primarily I'll be using the labor tub if it's available again. Both my mom and hubby have said they even know it obviously helped me with DS. If I can't take it or feel like I'm getting too exhausted, I'll get an epidural again, however I really want to go without.

I find it interesting hearing about husband's not wanting their wives to have drugs until later in the moment. Hubby wasn't at all this way. He's the one that has always said this is one thing that is totally my choice and he wouldn't think about saying "no", although if he had a concern for me or baby he will ask questions until he's comfortable.
  • Like many here, I want to try to go w/o, but will get one if I can. I'll labor @ home till my water breaks or contractions are 5 mins apart. Will use the tub here & would love to @ hospital. However, they only have 2 & it's a first come first serve thing with them. Plus, you can't use if you have an epi (obviously) & my ob told me it's off limits if you have discharge (water breaks or other blood/fluids come out.) b/c it's not sterile & they can't disinfect it properly btwn patients. I think breathing with be really helpful for me. I had pretty bad gallbladder attacks a few years back before I got it out & breathing was SO helpful! I don't want an analgesic either as I've never done well with opiates in the past.
    Also find it strange that a man would have any objection to the epi. My husband actually has a hard time understanding why I DON'T want one, but after the birth class he gets it more. Crossing fingers! Teacher asked who wanted an epi & no one raised their hand. Then she told us about 70% of women @ the hospital get one, so odds are SOME of us will get one.
  • rxredhead said:
    My husband is under strict orders to suggest a cervix check if I ask for an epidural. My first kid was a "skittering into the hospital at 10 cm" baby so no epidural and my second was an induction and I finally asked for an epi and when they got it placed, the baby was out in under 5 minutes and I never got any real pain relief from it. Honestly neither were bad at all for me (first kinda sucked but mostly because the majority of active labor was in the car and I was fighting it because I was certain it was false labor) so bar any major issues or C-section, I'd really like to go med free again. I was so freaking high on endorphins and felt absolutely fantastic after having my first

THIS! I hear the high is phenomenal and I want to know what it feels like. My mom had three unmediated births and she is going to be my "lay doula". Lol. Plus SO said that its my body my show so I get to do what. I want. I hope he can hang lol! His first wife had to have a c section (Jr. Never dropped he had the cord wrapped around him tightly twice) so if we are blessed and I get to go into labor (I'm pretty sure I will baby is beginning to drop we can see it!) then it will be his first labor experience.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I am a stm and hoping for an epidural again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I'm a first timer. I would like to go unassisted/unmedicated, but I am open to an Epi if it gets to be too much. Currently thinking about having a c-section, as my back is proving to be problematic. The concern is that I may end up with Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction afterwards. I'm down to try, but my family has posed good points about it being a better option to go with the c-section, so that I can heal and not have to worry about my back being messed up also. I'll decide in 2 weeks when I see OB again, and see what he says.
  • Probably just nitrous unless I need a breech extraction for Twin B. I did hypnobabies with my last birth and it was awesome so we are doing that again.
  • Whovian84Whovian84 member
    edited November 2015
    Trying to go with no epidural or pitocin but will remain flexible as I'm a FTM. I've been preparing with some hypnobirthing tracks from itunes so hopefully my body/mind will be conditioned by the time I'm in labor and it will be automatic. They include visualization and breathing techniques. Bonus-they also help with commuter rage! 

I really wish my hospital had a music therapist on staff to provide some labor support. But, I am a music therapist so I've been working on creating and compiling some recorded tracks for myself even though it won't be the same as having MT in the moment. I work with patients all day on pain management, but it's so different when it's you and you're trying to approximate what you'll need in the moment of an experience you've never had before!

I will definitely opt for systemic drugs and nitrous gas during labor--as my Dr feels are safe--and local anesthetic if they have to stitch me up afterwards. Also planning on moving around as I feel comfortable. I think we all possess the tools and resources within ourselves to manage pain, but you have to lay the groundwork first.
  • My hospital offers 3 pain med options and you can take any of them or use one as a bridge to the next. I'll probably start with the weakest and work my way up to an epidural if needed.

Nitrous Oxide
    Some kind of injection that last 2-4 hrs
    Epidural 

Last time my only option was an epidural and I took it. I still felt pain/tearing but it really helped my nerves and I would definitely take it again.

• rxredhead said:

My husband is under strict orders to suggest a cervix check if I ask for an epidural. My first kid was a "skittering into the hospital at 10 cm" baby so no epidural and my second was an induction and I finally asked for an epi and when they got it placed, the baby was out in under 5 minutes and I never got any real pain relief from it. Honestly neither were bad at all for me (first kinda sucked but mostly because the majority of active labor was in the car and I was fighting it because I was certain it was false labor) so bar any major issues or C-section, I'd really like to go med free again. I was so freaking high on endorphins and felt absolutely fantastic after having my first

So yep, totally the case again. I had a cervix check, 3 cm, I texted my husband ten minutes later that enough of this, I wanted an epi because contractions sucked way more than I remembered. Then I threw up. Turns out I dilated from 3 to 10 in under 30 minutes and that's why the contractions were so rough. I sure felt awesome when she was out and I was able to get up and walk around almost immediately and it was great because I was able to easily get to the step down nursery to spend time with her
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml