Multiples
Options

Moms of fraternal twins

I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant with fraternal twins. So many questions going through my head. I'm so excited to be having twins but also nervous how this will all be compared to my first pregnancy. And how I will survive when I already have a high energetic toddler. I have a few questions for moms that have gone through pregnancy and labor/delivery with twins:

- did you find the pregnancy harder than a single baby pregnancy? The first trimester has been hard so far but I am holding out hope that the second trimester will be great just like with my first.

- did you end up with gestational diabetes or high blood pressure?

- how was labor an delivery for you? Was it twice as bad? Did you have a c-section? How many weeks were you when you delivered?

- tips to survive the first few weeks/months?

- did you choose daycare, nanny, mothers helper or stay at home? I plan to work and continue with my career but want to be realistic.

Thanks in advance for your responses and any tips!

Re: Moms of fraternal twins

• Options
    I didn't have a singleton first so I can't comment on those questions but I will answer some others. I had di/di (which usually means fraternal twins but mine turned out to be identical), but I didn't have gestational diabetes or high blood pressure. I worked up until 32 weeks (and quit because I was tired on my feet all day!) and never went on bed rest. I delivered via csection (per my choice) because my baby a was head down but baby b was transverse and I felt it was safer for all of us to just do a csection. I made it to my scheduled csection at 38+1 weeks! My recovery was really easy (probably because I was never in labor beforehand, and I was up and feeling fine within 2 weeks!) I quit my job because I wanted to be home all the time with my babies, so I didn't have a nanny or home nurse or helper. I just had my two babies though without a toddler. I am pregnant with a singleton now and will say my twin pregnancy was a little easier in some ways! I wasn't nearly as sick as I have been with this singleton and now I have two toddlers to take care of while trying not to get too exhausted!
    My advice would be just to not overdo things. If you feel like you need a little break, take one! Twin pregnancies can be very unpredictable and you never know, but just stay positive and take care of yourself! Hope that helps a little.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This was very helpful! Thanks! And I'm relieved to hear that you had such a great experience with the c-section. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome :)

This is my second twin pregnancy, my first set came by emergency C-section suddenly at 35 weeks 5 days.

I thought for sure I would make it to 38 weeks. 

No other complications or issues.

You will be monitored closely towards the end, that is pretty standard.

I work from home and my first set of twins are in all day kindergarten.

Wishing you well!!

H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    So I won't be a whole lot of help as I am currently still pregnant with twins. I will say that this pregnancy has been much more tough than my singletons. I'm 26 weeks and I just feel done. 
    I have my glucose test in 2 weeks, but doubt I have GD.
    I'm having a scheduled c-section, and I'm nervous because I've never had one. Doctor seems to think it will be best this way and a few other factors have me to where I'm not arguing. If I go into labor before that day (it's set for 38 weeks) I will still be having a c-section.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hi. I have 1 yo twins. They are my only kiddos so I can't answer some of your questions. I went 37w6d with them and had a c section. How I delivered was never a big deal to me or my husband - we just wanted what was best for the kiddos. I was actually nervous and the meds relaxed me so I felt like the delivery portion was the easiest part. Afterwards, I had a ton of hemorraging and an infection so that slowed me down for a few days. We had a lot of family helping out the first couple of weeks because I swear all you do is feed babies in the beginning. Once you are done feeding them and they are comfy, it's time to feed them again. At least that's how I remember it! Lol. We have a nanny 3 days per week and it works well. In our area, it's either full time daycare or nothing so it was more economical to get a nanny. Both my husband and I work full-time so it is doable. Wishing you all the best!

As far as tips:
    -don't pressure yourself to take them places (other than going on walks in the stroller). It's hard at first. Take it slow.
    -get them on a good schedule. The hospital helps with this so try to stay with it. When one eats, they both eat, even if it's not a lot. When one wakes up from a nap, they both get up. They will sync up before you know it!
    -they have some great products out there that help when you don't have enough hands. I had some cool bibs that helped hold bottles. And the double strollers are awesome. Get some good gear to make your life easier.
    -breathe. time flies and pretty soon you will be watching your kiddos walk and think holy moly. Where did the time go?!

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Congratulations! To answer your questions...

- I'm sorry to say it, but yes... my twin pregnancy was much harder than my singleton one had been. 

- Nope, neither

- Baby A's water broke and I went into labor at 36 weeks. We knew I'd have to have a c-setion because Baby A was breech. For me recovery from a c-section was more difficult, but it's not always that way for everyone.

- Just take it one moment at a time, and accept any/ all help. You will get through it! It's amazing how we are capable of just "making it work"

- I was already a SAHM, so I just stayed with it. For us the cost of having all 3 in daycare would have meant us just about breaking even with my previous income. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    The twin pregnancy was much harder than my singleton. I was incredibly worn out and had lots of aches and pains.

I am a SAHM, but I work 9 hours a week at the hospital as a respiratory therapist. I had to stop that at 25 weeks. I was huge already and was hurting and feeling like I could pass out while working on my feet. My twins are 3 months now. They were di/di, but they look identical. We are going to get a genetic test done.

I had no blood pressure issues and no gestational diabetes.

I had a vaginal delivery. Baby A came head first and B came feet first. I delivered at 35 weeks 6 days and they spent less than 6 hours in the Nicu. Labor was easy. Pushing was super easy. I had both out in less than 15 minutes. My recovery was great! So much easier than my singleton. I think it was better mostly because I was incredibly miserable before delivery and felt better as soon as they were out. I had regular contractions for over a month before I delivered. I went to L&D a couple times and got the shot to slow the contractions. No offical bed rest for me, but I did bed rest anyway for the last week and a half. My husband worked from home and helped with my toddler.

Get a supportive belly band. It was the only way I could be vertical the last couple months.

Congrats!!! And good luck! You can do this
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    *I have a 3 year old son and 5 month old fraternal girls. My twin pregnancy was MUCH harder than my first. I had the easiest pregnancy with ds. With the girls, I had morning sickness until 25 weeks, major aches and pains and I was tired all the darn time.

*No health issues at all. No GD, high BP or anything.

*I never went into labor with the twins. With ds I was induced and ended up in an emergency c-section after 17 hours of unsuccessful labor. My recovery took me about 3 weeks. With my twins I had a scheduled c-section at 38w2d. Baby A was breech and baby B was transverse. My recovery this time was less than a week. It was so much easier this time. My advise is to get up and get walking as soon as possible. Just little walks at first, and build up as you go!

*As far as surviving pregnancy:
    I worked right up until 38 weeks. I'm on my feet all day, and was exhausted, but I made it work. I didn't get any time before they were born, and I wanted all my time with them. My husband gave me massages every night. Also, a belly band is a must! Helped tremendously! I'd get home from work and have to run after a toddler. Just make plenty of cuddle time!
    *After birth:
    Accept help! It is hard at first. Get into a routine. I breastfeed mine. When one wakes to eat, we feed them both. We put them to sleep together. Otherwise all you do is feed. Keep your toddler a priority. We had family watch them for an hour so we could take ds to the park for some one on one time. While the girls sleep, that's mommy and son time. He also helps get diapers, change them, holds a bottle while daddy feeds them, and loves to hold them. If by some miracle you get them all to nap together, nap yourself. Housework will always be there, it can wait. It gets easier! My girls laugh and laugh at ds. He loves to entertain them, and the girls just love him. It's amazing watching them interact!

*3 in daycare was my whole paycheck. So we worked out that I dropped to part time. My dh works during the day, and I work weekend days and weekday evenings. It's not ideal, but it's what we had to do to make things work.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker